Start by marking “The C++ Programming Language” as Want to Read:
The C++ Programming Language

The C++ Programming Language

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  1,836 ratings  ·  56 reviews
The most widely read and trusted guide to the C++ language, standard library, and design techniques includes significant new updates and two new appendices on internationalization and Standard Library technicalities. It is the only book with authoritative, accessible coverage of every major element of ISO/ANSI Standard C++.
Hardcover, Special Edition, 1040 pages
Published February 1st 2000 by Addison-Wesley Professional (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The C++ Programming Language, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The C++ Programming Language

The  C Programming Language by Brian W. KernighanThe Pragmatic Programmer by Andrew HuntDesign Patterns by Erich GammaRefactoring by Martin FowlerStructure and Interpretation of Computer Programs by Harold Abelson
Essential Programming Books
12th out of 108 books — 239 voters
Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs by Harold AbelsonIntroduction to Algorithms by Thomas H. CormenThe  C Programming Language by Brian W. KernighanLearn You a Haskell for Great Good! by Miran LipovačaLand of LISP by Conrad Barski
My Favorite Computer Science Books
12th out of 19 books — 24 voters

More lists with this book...

Terran
I've read the first, second, and third editions of this book. (Before I gave up my evil ways and switched to Java.) The most concise thing to say about the language can be summarized by placing the three volumes on the shelf next to each other. That makes it clear how much the scope of the language has expanded over time (approximately doubling on each edition). It's a sign of how tricky language design is -- Stroustrop was essentially forced to add some rather byzantine constructs over time to ...more
Tom Lawrence
This book is considered to be the ultimate C++ bible as it's written by the creator of C++ himself, Bjarne Stroustrup, although I much prefer Big C++ as a reference book. This book is also clearly written by a straight programmer who isn't great when it comes to documentation as many of his explanations of the language are long-winded and overcomplicated for no reason.

It is worth noting that if you're looking for a book that serves as an introduction to the language, stay well clear from this an
Joecolelife
Jul 28, 2011 Joecolelife rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Joecolelife by: www.CocoMartini.com
I get extremely aggravated by people who read a book like thisand say how terrible it is, how the examples are hard to understand,and how hard the code is to understand, etc etc... Blah blah blah. It's pretty obvious to an experienced programmer that these people clearly are not the target audience of the book. The target audience of this book is programmers who have a couple years of experience programming (at least in C, preferably in C++). Additionally, you must be able to understand some rat ...more
Shortempered
Sep 22, 2008 Shortempered rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: intermediate to pro
Recommended to Shortempered by: mentor at IBM
not a book for a beginner, read it if you already know what you are reading..
the best..Author is my personalized GOD !

Well, I stick to my review more firmly now that I have almost completed (only once) this super-genius work.
To be more specific about the book:

The book is source of almost everything you might want to know about the C++ or probably insight of everything to what one programming language has to offer. Although book is comprehensive, it is not a book made for you, if you are just s
Adam
This book was a beast. I tried to read it front-to-back, and it ended up taking me over a year to do it (including lots of downtime and time off due to information overload). So I wouldn't recommend that. I suggest reading the first chapters in order and then hitting the rest of them piecemeal as you run into something relevant in your life.

That said, this book was incredible. I don't know why this wasn't required reading as part of my college education. All the rest of my textbooks should have
Morris
A colleague was quite scornful when I revealed I did not own the 3rd edition of this book. The first two editions are wonderful guides to the language. This edition mostly adds pages of Stroustrup's opinions as to what constitutes good programming practices. Though they are obviously of interest, I find that they are often too general to be useful and occasionally are self-contradictory.
Steve
Jan 23, 2008 Steve rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: C++ programmers
Shelves: technical
One of the lessons that has stuck with me from Strunk and White's Elements of Style is Rule #17: Omit Needless Words.

Bjarne Stroustup does not.

Consequently, it makes a challenging task -- trying to learn and understand the complexities and nuances of C++ -- even harder. If you're writing C++, this book probably belongs on your shelf. But you should learn from and refer to better books.
Michael
Sep 06, 2008 Michael rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Computer Geeks
This book has the basics of C++ at the beginning, though it may not be the best book to read if you are a novice programmer. There are many insights into advanced concepts in C++ (e.g. this has the best section on how to use templates and the STL algorithms that I've seen in print). A great reference for professionals to have on their shelf.
Amol Gawai
This shall not be your first book on C++. It is a heavy book and explains many design decisions for the language. If you want to master C++, this is a must read.
Indra Wicaksono
This book is a holy book for C++ programmers
Dave
A great book about an awful language.
Graham
poor plot development
Tony
This book is the reference on this programming language. It attempts to follow in the footsteps of "The C Programming Language," which was thin but useful and more than a little amusing.

It succeeds in being a useful reference to this heavily-used language. The author, though, doesn't have the wit of the earlier authors and some attempts seem forced. Also, this is a much larger language. Part of why the earlier book was so thin was that the language itself was rather small and depended on librari
Doug Livesey
So far this book is sterling -- all the incredible detail I could ever need about the minutae of C++ coding & compiling. I'm delighted as I wanted a refresher that wasn't a patronising tutorial, and this suits me fine! Not only what I wanted, but tonnes of detail I never even knew I wanted.
It's nice to see a book focused on teaching a programming language, rather than one that tries to teach you programming, too. I think these are very different concepts & should have different books, an
Charles H
This is the definitive book on the C++ programming language written by the man Bjarne Stroustrup himself. While those who are unfamiliar with C++ should avoid it, experienced C++ programmers will find that it can perfect their abilities. Nearly every intricacy and trick of the language is discussed. In fact, the only thing I've been unable to find is whether or not friendships inherit between classes - a rather obscure piece of C++ lore (they don't).
Israel Hsu
Jun 20, 2007 Israel Hsu rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: computer programmers
Shelves: own, computers
This is the authoritative reference on the C++ programming language. This book works best as a reference. Do not try to learn the C++ language from this book; its dense reference-filled text is too difficult to decipher for the beginner. However, I have found it to be very useful as a reference. For example, while designing and programming a set of complex generic templates, this book helped me untangle a series of mysterious compiler errors.
Wood
Revisiting some of the newer stuff in C++ since I've been away a few years doing mostly Java. I was hesitant to get this book because it I thought it would be more of a reference like his earlier books and he is the inventor of the language. To my surprise, this is a very well rounded book. Highly recommended.
Steven
The original and best book that covers the design and syntax of the C++ programming language - still the language for 'real' programmers, who like their programs to be hard to write and harder to understand.
Amit
Jan 10, 2012 Amit rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: c
One of the earliest thick books I read, when I was in school. It was a treasure-trove of programs. I copied the calculator example in chapter 3 without much understanding, and was fascinated into programming.
Brian
This book is not a good read but very useful when looking for specifics in syntax or methodology. A great technical reference (especially for compiler design) but not a good tutorial by any stretch.
Marcos Santamaria
Simply a MUST HAVE for every serious C++ programmer.
Although I do not recommend it if you are new to C++ because perhaps it would be very hard to you.
Max Lybbert
Do not try to learn C++ from this book. But get a copy and read it through when you have the basics down. Valuable advice is hidden throughout the book.
Dave Grizz
Every computer fan must read one of these books, because it is essential to computer knowledge. It's not for everyone, only for the programming crowd.
Samkit
It changed the way I started coding and brought me down to real life style which is admired and respected by communities around the world.
Thomas 'afin'
It helped me much to passed the Object-Oriented subject for the second time.
Because of this book, object-oriented becomes my subject :)
Reggie
This is a fantastic C++ book. I picked this up only shortly before I stopped coding in C++ and I wish I'd had it much earlier.
Helmy Kusuma
The basic of the basics.. if you are serious about programming, you should read this
David Melik
a somewhat fascinating enormous detail of my 2nd favourite programming language
Michael
If you must use C++, this book is certainly recommended.
Jeff
Required reading and reference for every C++ developer
  • Effective C++: 55 Specific Ways to Improve Your Programs and Designs
  • Thinking in C++, Volume One: Introduction to Standard C++
  • Introduction to Algorithms
  • Refactoring: Improving the Design of Existing Code

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
The Design and Evolution of C++ Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++ A Tour of C++ C++ In-Depth Box Set Die C++ Programmiersprache

“There are only two kinds of languages: the ones people complain about and the ones nobody uses.” 6 likes
“Proof by analogy is fraud.” 2 likes