Start by marking “The Hungry Thing” as Want to Read:
The Hungry Thing

The Hungry Thing

The Hungry Thing comes to town and asks for tickles and feetloaf and other interesting things to eat while the townspeople try to figure out what he means.
Published November 1st 1988 by Scholastic (first published January 1st 1967)

To ask other readers questions about The Hungry Thing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hungry Thing

Miriam
Jun 28, 2012 Miriam rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture
The title and opening page of this book looked like it was going to be really creepy -- maybe even too creepy for little kids! But instead it was just stupid. I don't know if it was supposed to be funny (it wasn't) or educate kids about language (not sure how) but it was silly and boring. The text was so repetitive and uninteresting I started skimming, and given how short the book is that's saying something! Didn't get the point of this one at all.
Pamela
Jul 24, 2014 Pamela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite tongue tickling, rhyme time books from childhood! The happy, but hungry monster comes to a fictitious Highlander town with a sign around his neck proclaiming: "Feed Me". The people try to feed the Hungry Thing, by asking him what he'd like to eat. And with answers such as: "Smancakes" and "Feetloaf".... the townfolk, including the Wiseman and Cook, are stumped....

"How do you eat it? What can it be?"

Fun Stuff!! A delightful trip down my childhood memories. And the perfect book
William
Aug 30, 2007 William rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite, most memorable books from childhood. I love this book and plan on reading it to my kids. Best Book Ever award winner!
Amy Forrester
Jan 09, 2012 Amy Forrester rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Hungry Thing is about a starving monster-thing, who looks like a cross between a dinosaur, a dragon, and a shark. I’ve never been quite clear on what the hungry thing is; just that he/she/it is very, very hungry. The hungry thing sits in the middle of town with a sign around its neck proclaiming “Feed Me” while the nervous townspeople ask it what it wants to eat. The townspeople have to figure out what the hungry thing is asking for. What could "Scmancakes" and "Feetloaf" mean?

Full Review Pi
Audrey Galiardi
Jan 22, 2013 Audrey Galiardi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is so old, but so good! I love reading this to the kids and saying words like schmancakes and gollipops and seeing their brains work to figure out what the Hungry Thing wants to eat. After the book I give the kids pictures of food they look at the food, hide it from the class and give us a rhyme ex:a picture of candy that they tell the class is schmandy. I use this is a quick way to assess if the kids know how to identify and produce rhymens.
Muse Here
Dec 09, 2011 Muse Here rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents
Recommended to Muse by: my boyfriend
Shelves: kids
Another darling kids' book. My kids liked how the Hungry Thing mis-pronounces everything and the made up descriptions of the funny named food by the supposed 'smart' people. I like how the little boy is the one who stands up and tells everyone what it really is. My kids enjoyed figuring out what the food was before the boy told us and making up their own descriptions for the fake food. Great book.
Brooke
The Hungry Thing was one of my favorite books when I was young. The rhyming words sound so funny and silly, but I think they helped me start to learn to read. I also learned that playing with words and sounds can be fun. Now that I'm older, I like to read this book to my nieces and nephews. I especially like to make the Hungry Thing's voice really deep when he says, "FEED ME!" My nephew loves it! :)
Major Ramm
Funny!
Brenda
Great book for word play. The Hungry Thing asks for things like Feetload and Gollipops. Students get to figure out what it is the Hungry Thing really wants to eat.
Katie Fitzgerald
My childhood copy of this book, about a mysterious monster who demands to be fed strange things like "Shmancakes" and "Tickles," has been sitting on a shelf near the dining room table for months. Since Miss Muffet is so into word play right now, I read it to her after dinner one night. Besides thinking it went on a little long and relied a little too heavily on just one joke, I thought the book held up pretty well to my adult sensibilities. Miss Muffet didn't necessarily understand the whole sto ...more
Kay
Oct 04, 2016 Kay rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
the drawings were really super cute!
but the book itself was REALLY repetitive.
Brigid Sullivan
This book is about a 'Hungry Thing' that wanders into a town, demanding to be fed. The Hungry Thing, however, gives strange food demands that the townspeople have to figure out. It takes a young boy to determine that the food the Hungry Thing is asking for RHYMES with real food (i.e gollipops- lollipops; tickles- pickles). Once they figure this out, they feed the Hungry Thing and he goes on his way.
This book has great pictures (picture book) and the students really relate to the very likable Hu
Danielle Baker
Nov 21, 2013 Danielle Baker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: speech-issues
Review:

This is a cute story about a hungry thing that comes to town wanting to eat certain item but he can't say the word properly. The children would have to guess the food item. The illustrations are awesome. It's a funny story that keep children engaged.

Learning Experience:

I would make a 'Hungry Thing' and have the children feed it items and tell me what letter each food item is. I would also pretend like the hungry thing is talking to me and have the children guess what food item he wants. F
Samantha
The story of a "monster" who comes to town very hungry and hard to understand. He makes various requests, none of which can be understood. A small boy inteprets for him, but nothing seems to satisfy him.

The illustrations are simple and well done. The story tries to be cute, and is full of rhymes, but falls short of a story I think a child would be captivated by. I would not recommend this book.
Shannon Brasher
The Hungry Thing is a book about a monster who shows up in town one day with a "Feed Me" sign around his neck. The monster can not directly ask for what he wants, instead he says a word that rhymes with it, such as fickles for pickles and feetloaf instead of meatloaf. It is up to the residents of the town to figure out what the hungry thing is asking for. This book would be a fantastic book to incorporate when teaching your students phonological skills, especially rhyming.
Beverly Kennett
One of my favorite books as a child! I still have the well-loved tattered copy. It is the story of a hungry thing that comes to town and asks for food, although the townspeople have trouble understanding what exactly he's asking for. I love that the child is more intelligent than all the adults in the story! Children often see things more clearly.
Brittany
Aug 21, 2015 Brittany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorite books as a kid. The silly language helped spur my imagination. I strongly recommend it to those that want to read to there kids, especially if the kid does not like to read. By giving funny voices to the hungry thing and the towns people, your kid will be riveted and may help them see how reading can be fun.
Shelbi Bishop
Nov 28, 2011 Shelbi Bishop rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
A monster visits a town with a sign on his belly that reads "Feed Me". Everyone asks what he wants to eat but he cannot speak correctly. One boy infers the meaning of words such as "Shmancakes" as pancakes and many other words.

This would be a great rhyming game! You could read this and stop at the real word and see if the students can fill in the blanks.
Lindsey
Nov 25, 2011 Lindsey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, picture-book
This is such a cute book! The hungry thing comes to town and wants to eat a lot of weird named things that sound a lot like normal foods. As the reader, its like playing a game trying to figure out what foods he is wanting.

I would use this book to have my students come up with their own funny sounding foods that sound a lot like other foods.
Jessie
I'm so sad!!! I hadn't realized that our copy of this was missing the first few pages! :( My sister and I absolutely LOVED this book growing up! I really hope I can find a complete copy someday! This is such a fun book!
Alisha Williams
This book would be a good book to teach different phonic lessons. They are trying to feed the hungry thing but they are not sure what he wants to eat, he speaks a differnt language. They have to decode his language to be able to feed him.
Jessica Benson
I think children would really enjoy this book, It was introduced to me during a phonics lesson. It would be good for decoding words seeing as you have to try and decipher what it is the hungry thing is trying to say he wants to eat.
The Brothers
Jan 16, 2016 The Brothers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food, monsters
A beast comes into town one day with a sign around its neck. FEED ME! He asks for specific food which flummox the townsfolk but for a little boy who helps figure out what the thing wants to eat.

Cute illustrations.
Melanie Martel
This is a great book for phonics and decoding words. The hungry thing wants to be feed and comes up with a nonsense word for food. Kids can have fun with this trying to figure out a rhyming word that goes along with it.
Cheryl
Aug 28, 2015 Cheryl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one of my daughter's favorites when she was younger. I love the way that it teaches children about rhyming and how fun it is as children figure out what it actually is that the Hungry Thing actually wants to eat. Just a fun, cute book!
Jenna
This book was introduced to me in a phonics lesson. It was included in a text book and there are many different ways that a phonics lesson could be incorporated within the book. This book would also be ideal for predictions and engagement.
Carlee
Oct 07, 2012 Carlee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is good to teach a phonic lessons. They are trying to feed the hungry thing but they are not sure what he wants to eat, he speaks a different language. They have to decode his language to be able to feed him.
Mary Pat
Feb 03, 2009 Mary Pat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We found an old copy of this book at Goodwill and just LOVE it. It is very popular in the bedtime rotation at our house. Wonderful repetition, perfect "folk-tale" feel, and the kids just howl with laughter when the Hungry Thing asks for "Boop, with a Smacker".
Hannah Schweiter
This is one of those books that seems out-there for adults to grasp. However, young kids (about 8 and younger) LOVE this book and think it is so funny. The intention of this book is to get kids thinking about phonics and how words are made up of different sounds. Like the word "pancake."
Sonam
Great book for word play. Students figure out what it is the Hungry Thing really wants to eat.
Activity Ideas: Make your own hungry creature or make your own menu for your hungry creature
  • "I Can't," Said the Ant
  • Miss Twiggley's Tree
  • Sheep on a Ship
  • Felicity Floo Visits the Zoo
  • The Pirates Next Door
  • A Mother for Choco (Paperstar series)
  • Spaghetti in a Hot Dog Bun: Having the Courage To Be Who You Are