Hungry Thing

Hungry Thing

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  164 ratings  ·  46 reviews
The Hungry Thing comes to town and asks for tickles and feetloaf and other interesting things to eat while the townspeople try to figure out what he means.
Published April 1st 1991 by Scholastic Trade (first published January 1st 1967)

Miriam
The title and opening page of this book looked like it was going to be really creepy -- maybe even too creepy for little kids! But instead it was just stupid. I don't know if it was supposed to be funny (it wasn't) or educate kids about language (not sure how) but it was silly and boring. The text was so repetitive and uninteresting I started skimming, and given how short the book is that's saying something! Didn't get the point of this one at all.
William
One of my favorite, most memorable books from childhood. I love this book and plan on reading it to my kids. Best Book Ever award winner!
Amy Musser
The Hungry Thing is about a starving monster-thing, who looks like a cross between a dinosaur, a dragon, and a shark. I’ve never been quite clear on what the hungry thing is; just that he/she/it is very, very hungry. The hungry thing sits in the middle of town with a sign around its neck proclaiming “Feed Me” while the nervous townspeople ask it what it wants to eat. The townspeople have to figure out what the hungry thing is asking for. What could "Scmancakes" and "Feetloaf" mean?

Full Review Pi...more
Audrey Galiardi
This book is so old, but so good! I love reading this to the kids and saying words like schmancakes and gollipops and seeing their brains work to figure out what the Hungry Thing wants to eat. After the book I give the kids pictures of food they look at the food, hide it from the class and give us a rhyme ex:a picture of candy that they tell the class is schmandy. I use this is a quick way to assess if the kids know how to identify and produce rhymens.
Muse Here
Dec 09, 2011 Muse Here rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents
Recommended to Muse by: my boyfriend
Shelves: kids
Another darling kids' book. My kids liked how the Hungry Thing mis-pronounces everything and the made up descriptions of the funny named food by the supposed 'smart' people. I like how the little boy is the one who stands up and tells everyone what it really is. My kids enjoyed figuring out what the food was before the boy told us and making up their own descriptions for the fake food. Great book.
Brooke
The Hungry Thing was one of my favorite books when I was young. The rhyming words sound so funny and silly, but I think they helped me start to learn to read. I also learned that playing with words and sounds can be fun. Now that I'm older, I like to read this book to my nieces and nephews. I especially like to make the Hungry Thing's voice really deep when he says, "FEED ME!" My nephew loves it! :)
Brigid Sullivan
This book is about a 'Hungry Thing' that wanders into a town, demanding to be fed. The Hungry Thing, however, gives strange food demands that the townspeople have to figure out. It takes a young boy to determine that the food the Hungry Thing is asking for RHYMES with real food (i.e gollipops- lollipops; tickles- pickles). Once they figure this out, they feed the Hungry Thing and he goes on his way.
This book has great pictures (picture book) and the students really relate to the very likable Hu...more
Brenda
Great book for word play. The Hungry Thing asks for things like Feetload and Gollipops. Students get to figure out what it is the Hungry Thing really wants to eat.
Danielle Baker
Review:

This is a cute story about a hungry thing that comes to town wanting to eat certain item but he can't say the word properly. The children would have to guess the food item. The illustrations are awesome. It's a funny story that keep children engaged.

Learning Experience:

I would make a 'Hungry Thing' and have the children feed it items and tell me what letter each food item is. I would also pretend like the hungry thing is talking to me and have the children guess what food item he wants. F...more
Thomas
THIS BOOK IS THE BEST!!!
Samantha
The story of a "monster" who comes to town very hungry and hard to understand. He makes various requests, none of which can be understood. A small boy inteprets for him, but nothing seems to satisfy him.

The illustrations are simple and well done. The story tries to be cute, and is full of rhymes, but falls short of a story I think a child would be captivated by. I would not recommend this book.
Jonasanddelice
What can I say… I love this book!! <3 It's so adorable! ANd our copy is tattered so I need to find a lovely nice one so we can read it again!
Shelbi Bishop
A monster visits a town with a sign on his belly that reads "Feed Me". Everyone asks what he wants to eat but he cannot speak correctly. One boy infers the meaning of words such as "Shmancakes" as pancakes and many other words.

This would be a great rhyming game! You could read this and stop at the real word and see if the students can fill in the blanks.
Beverly Kennett
One of my favorite books as a child! I still have the well-loved tattered copy. It is the story of a hungry thing that comes to town and asks for food, although the townspeople have trouble understanding what exactly he's asking for. I love that the child is more intelligent than all the adults in the story! Children often see things more clearly.
Lindsey
This is such a cute book! The hungry thing comes to town and wants to eat a lot of weird named things that sound a lot like normal foods. As the reader, its like playing a game trying to figure out what foods he is wanting.

I would use this book to have my students come up with their own funny sounding foods that sound a lot like other foods.
Hannah Schweiter
This is one of those books that seems out-there for adults to grasp. However, young kids (about 8 and younger) LOVE this book and think it is so funny. The intention of this book is to get kids thinking about phonics and how words are made up of different sounds. Like the word "pancake."
Mary Pat
We found an old copy of this book at Goodwill and just LOVE it. It is very popular in the bedtime rotation at our house. Wonderful repetition, perfect "folk-tale" feel, and the kids just howl with laughter when the Hungry Thing asks for "Boop, with a Smacker".
Alisha Williams
This book would be a good book to teach different phonic lessons. They are trying to feed the hungry thing but they are not sure what he wants to eat, he speaks a differnt language. They have to decode his language to be able to feed him.
Jenna
This book was introduced to me in a phonics lesson. It was included in a text book and there are many different ways that a phonics lesson could be incorporated within the book. This book would also be ideal for predictions and engagement.
Jessica Benson
I think children would really enjoy this book, It was introduced to me during a phonics lesson. It would be good for decoding words seeing as you have to try and decipher what it is the hungry thing is trying to say he wants to eat.
Melanie Martel
This is a great book for phonics and decoding words. The hungry thing wants to be feed and comes up with a nonsense word for food. Kids can have fun with this trying to figure out a rhyming word that goes along with it.
Carlee
This book is good to teach a phonic lessons. They are trying to feed the hungry thing but they are not sure what he wants to eat, he speaks a different language. They have to decode his language to be able to feed him.
Sonam
Great book for word play. Students figure out what it is the Hungry Thing really wants to eat.
Activity Ideas: Make your own hungry creature or make your own menu for your hungry creature
Elizabeth Schrank
This is a great book to use in a phonics lesson. It is very engaging and interactive as the listeners try to guess what word the hungry thing is saying. I think children would really enjoy this book.
Lydia
Love the use of nonsense words throughout this book. Excellent to create activities focused on phoneme substitution by having to predict real words appropriate for context.
Amy
A favorite with my sons when they were little and I was delighted to see that the kids in storytime thought it was a hoot as well. Great participation with this book.
Lynn
What happens when the Hungry Thing come to town? The townspeople scramble to understand his requests! It is a great book for wordplay. How about some shmancakes?
Rachel
This book is an excellent resource when teaching phonics and the decoding of words. The engaging nature of the book makes it very interesting for readers of all ages.
Joy
Good book for teaching phonological awareness, though probably for preschoolers and up. (The toddlers at storytime looked at me blankly through most of this one.)
Heather
Terrific read for 5-6 year olds for phonemic awareness development (rhyming). I even got one head-thrown-back guffaw today while reading it to the class.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • My Cat, The Silliest Cat in the World
  • Sneezy the Snowman
  • Henny Penny
  • Sylvie
The Broccoli Tapes The Cat Who Wore a Pot On Her Head The Hungry Thing Returns The Alfred Summer Risk N' Roses