Start by marking “For All the Wrong Reasons” as Want to Read:
For All the Wrong Reasons

For All the Wrong Reasons

For All the Wrong Reasons - A Novella - Pemberley, the Darcy estate, is entailed away from the female line. When Fitzwilliam Darcy learns that Peter Grayson, the prospective heir, is to marry Caroline Bingley, he realizes that he must quickly find a wife so that he might have a son. But will Elizabeth Bennet agree to a loveless marriage, and if so, will she marry for all t ...more
Published March 31st 2011 by Quail Creek Publishing LLC

To ask other readers questions about For All the Wrong Reasons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about For All the Wrong Reasons

Sheila Majczan
Jan 19, 2017 Sheila Majczan rated it liked it

This tale it another instance of a marriage of convenience: Caroline Bingley is the driving force this time. When Darcy is so cool towards her in her pursuit of him she learns that his estate is entailed and since his heir is unattached she sees a way to kill two birds with one stone. She gains a rich husband BUT she also gains the status of standing to become the Mistress of Pemberley by marrying Darcy's heir...if Darcy continues in his bachelor ways!

But Darcy is not a man to leave fat
J. W. Garrett
Heir needed…apply here: 3-stars

There were several reasons why I read this, first I loved the cover of the book, and second I thought the concept was pretty cool. And third I wanted to see what was up with Caroline Bingley as she attempted to marry the heir to Pemberley. That would be just like her to do that. The only reason she wanted to marry Mr. Darcy was to be Mistress of Pemberley and enjoy its wealth and prestige. So, if she couldn’t have Mr. Darcy, she would have to go about it another wa
Megan
A short story P&P variation. This story takes place after Jane and Bingley are married. In this version Darcy never convinced Bingley that Jane didn't love him and take him away to London and there is no George Wickham (Elizabeth simply dislikes Darcy because of his pride). Instead of Wickham, this story's antagonist is the heir to Pemberley, which is entailed away to Peter Grayson unless of course Darcy can marry and produce a male heir. Grayson marries (view spoiler) ...more
Mary Lou
Mar 19, 2013 Mary Lou rated it did not like it
Glad it was short. I have read several of her other books and thoroughly enjoyed them this was an utter disappointment. None of the characters seemed similar to Austen's and the whole problem was resolved in 1 conversation that Austen's true characters would have had long before. Lizzy not speaking her mind & Darcy to scared of rejection to speak the utter truth in the beginning - Never. There were also many holes in the story that were never filled. We know Jane & Bingley are married bu ...more
lielabell
This is fanfic. Plain and simple. The setting is wildly AU, with not much to explain the reasons why, and the characters are totally ooc. The writing is mediocre at best and the plot leaves much to be desired. But, hey, I only paid about a buck for it on my Kindle, so I can't really complain.
Jessica (BookRockGoddess) Bolton
I enjoyed this short retelling of Pride and Prejudice. I would have liked it to be longer but I felt it didn't lack in storyline. I feel that this will be a story for many of those Austenites who just want a good what if story.
Charlene
Jun 14, 2011 Charlene rated it really liked it
This short story was delightful. I Thought it was light fun and had a little angst thrown in. Darcy comes up with a reason to marry Lizzy without professing his love, so in this story there is misunderstanding on both there parts. As usual all thing must work out. Worth reading as a short story
Nicole
A fun and enjoyable read! This is the first novella I have read, which probably explains the feeling of not being totally satisfied (I am used to a lot more detail). This novella warrants more like 3 1/2 stars.
Tamara
Apr 02, 2014 Tamara rated it really liked it
Originally posted on My Kids led Me Back to Pride & Prejudice

This book might be entitled' For all the Wrong Reasons' but when it comes to Elizabeth & Darcy, surely it can only be for all the right reasons!!!

After reading A Pemberley Medley by Abigail Reynolds and Simonsen’s own collection of short stories A walk in Rosings Park, I have been been won over on short stories. The idea of a short story is no longer abhorrent to me and I believe that if they are told well they can be just as s
Anna
Feb 28, 2013 Anna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: austenesque
For All the Wrong Reasons is a novella that imagines what might have happened in Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice had Pemberley been entailed away from the female line and Mr. Darcy was forced to marry and produce an heir to protect his sister in the event of his demise. The next in line to inherit Pemberley is Darcy’s cousin, Peter Grayson, with whom he’s had a falling out. When Darcy learns that Grayson is engaged to a spiteful Caroline Bingley, he is furious and determined to prevent them fr ...more
Warmisunqu Austen
3.5 Austen.

Una historia de 'volver a imaginar' Orgullo y prejuicio, esto implica una amplia apertura para modificar la versión original y en este caso Simonsen ha tomado bastante libertad en ello.

Su finalidad ha sido pensar en Pemberley implicado como lo está Longbourn, a partir de allí, Fitzwlliam Darcy está desesperado por buscar una esposa, ante el peligro de dejar desamparados a todos los que dependen de Pemberley, ya que el siguiente en sucesión, no era digno para llevar ese peso con mucha
Katherine
The one thing that was out of place for me was that Lizzy would never marry Mr Darcy if she wasn't in love with him especially since Jane was already married to Bingley and there was no reason to fear for her and her families situation should her father die and the estate become entailed away to Collins. It was a "cute" story seeing how Darcy and Elizabeth finally tell each other they love each other (touching moment) and there are moments of laughter but it lacked the depth that I would have lo ...more
Leslie
Feb 20, 2013 Leslie rated it really liked it
Shelves: austenesque
In this engrossing Pride and Prejudice what if Pemberley is entailed so Georgiana can't inherit so a Darcy cousin is the next inline. When Darcy learns the cousin is to marry; he suggests that this cousin may not be interested in women, he realizes his plans to have Georgiana marry first are for naught and heads for Hertfordshire. Neither Darcy nor Elizabeth seem to love each other, can that change?

What makes this awesome is that Mrs. Bennet's reasoning for wanting Lizzy to marry Collins is expl
Sophia
Well written fun novella giving another option for the Darcy and Elizabeth story. It would probably not be a good choice for an Austen enthusiast. Story plot is that Darcy's cousin is the heir apparent to Pemberley. Darcy discovers that Caroline Bingley and her husband are engaged and he now feels the need to marry and get an heir. He likes Elizabeth and makes her an offer for a convenient marriage. Will this develop into something more?
Kimberly
Sep 05, 2012 Kimberly rated it it was ok
A nice little change to show that Lizzy and Darcy are always meant to be, but no real conflict or unexpected surprises. A quick read, and an enjoyable book.

Some of the wording doesn't quite fit with the era, which tends to stand out for me. I found the confessions of love to be ill-timed and a forced, but I suppose it to be because it's a short book.

Still a nice addition to the digital bookshelf.
Alexa
Jan 22, 2012 Alexa rated it it was amazing
This is the second short story of Mary Simonsen's that I've read, and so far she is definitely batting 1.000 with them. I wish I wasn't so short on time and backed up with books; I still haven't read A Wife for Mr. Darcy or The Perfect Bride for Mr. Darcy, and her other short stories are waiting on my Kindle as well. I much prefer to read her P&P variations, although her other work is good as well.
Kathy
Feb 13, 2015 Kathy rated it liked it
A different retelling to Pride and Prejudice

A very short though not very good read. The plot, that being Darcy needs to get married in order to site an heir and thus chooses Elizabeth for this purpose, would be more believable if better written, though the author does get credit for trying.
Victoria
Jan 20, 2013 Victoria rated it it was ok
Shelves: austen, reviewed
A very short little story, I found that the was no real issues between Darcy and Elizabeth, but that there was a lot of inspired issues from those around them.

I found that the affection developed between them happened very quickly, and it came to a quick conclusion. I wish there was a bit more information about Caroline, Elizabeth and the servants as well as their futures.
Lani
Jul 07, 2015 Lani rated it did not like it
This one had some potential, but was de-railed by an Elizabeth who did NOT speak her mind ), rather was in constant fear of offending Darcy (hence, not Elizabeth at all, IMHO). Took all the fun and delight out of that character for me.
Rebecca Adling
Jan 07, 2013 Rebecca Adling rated it it was ok
Predicable misunderstandings between our favorite characters, but fun. The author made some good choices on what parts of the classic to focus on and what parts were best to put aside to keep her book in a good flow.
Sandra Gebhard
Jan 12, 2016 Sandra Gebhard rated it liked it
Not bad

This could be fleshed out into a much better story. I'd like more time with entailed Pemberly's heir and the spare enfant terrible. The author needs to SERIOUSLY edit the last chapters as whole bits of sentences are missing
Nicol Legakis
Sep 20, 2011 Nicol Legakis rated it it was ok
This was a cute little vignette but it lacked plausibility and was not as well written as Mary Simonsen's other P&P adaptations. I did enjoy it though.
JMarcy
Dec 08, 2015 JMarcy rated it it was ok
Shelves: jaff-regency
I thought the story started with great potential but then ended rather abruptly, most likely to keep to the short length. So much more could have been done with the Peter Grayson/Caroline plotline.
Nikel27
Nikel27 rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2013
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Nov 29, 2015
Cecilia Thurston
Cecilia Thurston rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2013
John Hockaday
John Hockaday rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2015
Susan
Susan rated it it was ok
Jun 24, 2016
Beth
Beth rated it liked it
Dec 05, 2016
Kaycee
Kaycee rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Bewitched, Body and Soul: Miss Elizabeth Bennet
  • Memory: Volume 3, How Far We Have Come: A Tale Of Pride And Prejudice
  • The Only Way: A Tale of Pride and Prejudice
  • The Mistress's Black Veil: A Pride and Prejudice Vagary
  • A Father's Sins: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
  • Darcy's Decision (Given Good Principles #1)
  • The Journey
  • Mr. Darcy Came to Dinner
  • Mr. Darcy’s Noble Connections
  • Christmas at Pemberley: A Pride and Prejudice Holiday Sequel
  • First Impressions: A Tale of Less Pride & Prejudice
  • His Uncle's Favorite
  • Mr. Darcy's Great Escape: A Tale of the Darcys & the Bingleys (Pride and Prejudice Continues, # 3)
  • A Most Civil Proposal
  • Vanity and Vexation: A Novel of Pride and Prejudice
  • Longbourn's Unexpected Matchmaker
I am the authors of several Pride & Prejudice and Persuasion re-imaginings. I have also written a modern love story, The Second Date, Love Italian-American Style, and three British mysteries, Three's A Crowd, A Killing in Kensington, A Death in Hampden, Dying to Write, and Murder by Moonlighting.

I am a wife, mother, grandmother, volunteer, reader, writer, serious recycler.

When I read for relax
More about Mary Lydon Simonsen...