Start by marking “Art of Computer Programming, The, Volumes 1-3 Boxed Set” as Want to Read:
Art of Computer Programming, The, Volumes 1-3 Boxed Set

Art of Computer Programming, The, Volumes 1-3 Boxed Set (Art of Computer Programming)

4.52 of 5 stars 4.52  ·  rating details  ·  500 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Finally, after a wait of more than thirty-five years, the first part of Volume 4 is at last ready for publication. Check out the boxed set that brings together Volumes 1 - 4A in one elegant case, and offers the purchaser a $50 discount off the price of buying the four volumes individually. The Art of Computer Programming, Volumes 1-4A Boxed Set, 3/e ISBN: 0321751043
Boxed Set, 896 pages
Published October 15th 1998 by Addison-Wesley Professional

The Pragmatic Programmer by Andrew HuntThe C Programming Language by Brian W. KernighanDesign Patterns by Erich GammaStructure and Interpretation of Computer Programs by Harold AbelsonCode Complete by Steve McConnell
Essential Programming Books
10th out of 112 books — 267 voters
Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs by Harold AbelsonIntroduction to Algorithms by Thomas H. CormenThe C Programming Language by Brian W. KernighanThe Pragmatic Programmer by Andrew HuntArt of Computer Programming, The, Volumes 1-3 Boxed Set by Donald Ervin Knuth
Essential Books of Computer Science
5th out of 142 books — 100 voters

More lists with this book...

Ean Schuessler
This is the Harry Potter series for REAL wizards.
Nick Black
Perfection itself. Every few months I have to go back to my Knuth for some forgotten analysis or modeling, and it's always a savory treat -- I know no other books so dense and overflowing with rare and obscenely useful tricks, so immense in their scope and successful in coverage thereof; there's really nothing approachable in computer science or, so far as I know, in any field (the Hilbert-Courant volumes or Thorne's Gravitation might compare, if their subjects weren't so much vaster than comput ...more
notgettingenough

The mouseover to Randall's cartoon says:

'Dear Reader: Enclosed is a cheque for 98 cents. Using your work, I have proved this equals the amount you requested.'

Nick provides a proper review...http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

Oh. It's full of jokes, by the way. Just as well I didn't have my cup of tea in hand when I came upon this one:

4. [M50] Prove that when n is an integer, n > 2, the equation xn + yn = zn has no solution in positive integers x, y, z. (NB the book was published in the 1
Dan Sutton
As programmers, this is our bible, along with "A method of programming" by E. W. Dijkstra, which somehow manages to condense into its few pages most of what Knuth expresses in these three (now four) large volumes. Nevertheless, "The Art of Computer Programming" represents an absolute in terms of exposition of the process: no programmer should be without the knowledge contained within. Where Dijkstra, the European, represents a terse, quick method of thinking with huge leaps of intuition, fierce ...more
Matt
Some people consider these books a sort of bible for computer programmers. I wouldn't go so far. A bible always assumes some form of religion. And that would make the author a kind of deity, a pedestal upon which he certainly would not want to be put. If you like to read a "bible-ish" book by Donald Knuth read 3:16.

I learned a great deal from these books. As a poor student I could only afford to buy Volume 3 (Sorting and Searching). The other two I borrowed or read directly at the library (while
Carl
The definitive work on programming; without a doubt there is no more important book on Computer Science. However, it's almost totally impenetrable. I haven't read even a quarter of this, and fully understood much less, but that's nothing to be ashamed of, as probably no one else has either. All the examples are in a made up assembly language, and Knuth invented his own typesetting system to publish it, which became widespread and famous.

The perfect Coffee table book.
Appu Shaji
I got the first edition of this book more than 10 years back. I have read (and re-read) the series in book in parts over the years, and every time I was impressed by the scholarly mastery and precision of the author. This arguably, is `the' most important text in computer science.

AOCP, along with Computer Algorithms by Corman, Leiserson and Rivest are the first books I turn to whenever I have an upcoming challenge or interview. Pinnacle of Precision!
Will
Knuth cannot be compared to anything else. It's both the beginning and the end of computer science -- you could spend months just trying to understand a single chapter. I love it, but I barely understand a single math equation.
Jon
Aug 03, 2008 Jon marked it as to-read
Shelves: gave-up-on
Jesus christ, this is some heavy duty stuff. As a calculus 2 dropout, I might hit the wall early, but I really want to fight through this as much as I can before my head explodes.
Ali Kalantari
Oct 19, 2008 Ali Kalantari is currently reading it
Reading it as a book for Advanced programming reference. But I think I'll read it completely when it's last day of my life
Curtis Schofield
Nov 04, 2010 Curtis Schofield marked it as to-read
I'm going to order this to hold up my monitor and then hold the inner world and dream a dream with you.

Joecolelife
Nov 24, 2011 Joecolelife rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Joecolelife by: www.CocoMartini.com
All three volumes of The Art of Computer Programming (TAOCP), are classic. Each is IMHO a book that every CS student should try to study reimplementing example by example. Not many will succeed to finish even half of one volume, but if you do please buy all three of them :-).

I think it's very important to study Vol 1. It gives enough exposition to the Donald Knuth style and brilliant thinking. It is the level of thinking of the author that represents the main value of the book: you instantly un
Kully
Ok, so there are very few people who have 'read' this. But I've had this for years and still reach for it for reference and just browsing.
Weloytty
This is one of those sets of books you put on your shelf so that people will recognize you as a Serious Programmer. I don't know anyone who has actually READ them, other than college students who were forced to do it. I actually used it as a reference once when I was writing a sort, but then I tossed my code and used library code, because when it comes down to it, who wants to write a sort by yourself???

I've read some other stuff Knuth has written, and he's actually a pretty good author. I would
Charles
I haven't read these all the way through mind you, but these books along with the five Fascicles make up the greatest programing reference available, not for any language mind you, but programing in general, meta-programing if you well. Algorithms galore, sorting, and searching, and etc. If your looking for a solution to a programing problem its probibly here. Required for intermediate level skill and up, not for beginners.
Manel
I remember finding this book at a university library and, having heard of it, picked it to see why was it special. The book had a profound and lasting effect on the way I had to write computer programs, both academically and professionally. A must for computer science lovers.
Maurizio Codogno
Diciamocelo. Come potremmo vivere senza La Bibbia? Poi magari non riuscirò mai a leggerli, ma sapere che ci sono e che posso trovare l'algoritmo che mi serve è una coperta di Linus favolosa.
John
Say hello to the monograph on computer programming. Don't roll your own without it.

I expect this'll be on my "currently reading" shelf for a few years. It's not exactly quick going.
Patricknevindwyer
What's old is new again; techniques developed for Memory Drum and Tape based machines that fell out of favor are showing their worth again in data heavy and cloud based environments.
Anushree Rastogi
I'd give this book more than 5 stars if I could. If you ever thought writing a piece of code is eerily similar to painting.. or writing a poem, this is the book for you.
Jeramey Crawford
I may never get all the way through these books, but they're fascinating and difficult. Any self-respecting hacker should have these books and have at least thumbed through them.
Brandon Ferguson
Oct 16, 2007 Brandon Ferguson marked it as to-read
What I learned? That I need more freaking math and I shouldn't expect to read more than 10-20 pages in a given sitting. =D
Bishu
never really read the the volumes cover to cover but ive been reading this book for over 2 year now. recommended.
Sachin
Dec 27, 2008 Sachin marked it as to-read
Never I get to cover more than Page 1...
Vivek Attri
All the programming concepts greatly explained.
Wm
Mar 24, 2008 Wm rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: work
A must have set of texts for any programmer.
DJ
Jan 22, 2010 DJ marked it as to-read
Shelves: computer-science
yet another foundational text in computing
Mike Pham
A must for any computer scientist.
Mywebclip
Jan 27, 2009 Mywebclip added it
Shelves: hhhhh
hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Ravi Chaurasia
best book
  • Concrete Mathematics: A Foundation for Computer Science
  • Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs (MIT Electrical Engineering and Computer Science)
  • Compilers: Principles, Techniques, and Tools
  • Introduction to the Theory of Computation
  • Introduction to Algorithms
  • The Protocols (TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 1)
  • A Discipline of Programming
  • Types and Programming Languages
  • Refactoring: Improving the Design of Existing Code
  • Beautiful Code: Leading Programmers Explain How They Think

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Donald Ervin Knuth, born January 10th 1938, is a renowned computer scientist and Professor Emeritus of the Art of Computer Programming at Stanford University.

Author of the seminal multi-volume work The Art of Computer Programming ("TAOCP"), Knuth has been called the "father" of the analysis of algorithms, contributing to the development of, and systematizing formal mathematical techniques for, the
More about Donald Ervin Knuth...

Art of Computer Programming (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Art of Computer Programming, Volume 1: Fundamental Algorithms
  • Art of Computer Programming, Volume 2: Seminumerical Algorithms
  • Art of Computer Programming, Volume 3: Sorting and Searching
  • Introduction To Combinatorial Algorithms And Boolean Functions
  • The Art of Computer Programming, Fascicle 0: Introduction to Combinatorial Algorithms and Boolean Functions
  • The Art of Computer Programming, Volume 4, Fascicle 1: Bitwise Tricks & Techniques; Binary Decision Diagrams
  • The Art of Computer Programming: Fascicle 2: Generating All Tuples and Permutations
  • The Art of Computer Programming, Volume 4, Fascicle 3: Generating All Combinations and Partitions
  • The Art of Computer Programming: Generating All Trees--History of Combinatorial Generation; Volume 4
  • Generating All Trees History Of Combinatorial Generation
Art of Computer Programming, Volume 1: Fundamental Algorithms Art of Computer Programming, Volume 3: Sorting and Searching Art of Computer Programming, Volume 2: Seminumerical Algorithms Things a Computer Scientist Rarely Talks About The Art of Computer Programming, Volumes 1-4a Boxed Set