Start by marking “Benjamin Bear in Fuzzy Thinking: Toon Books Level 2” as Want to Read:
Benjamin Bear in Fuzzy Thinking: Toon Books Level 2

Benjamin Bear in Fuzzy Thinking: Toon Books Level 2 (Benjamin Bear)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  255 ratings  ·  62 reviews
The silly logic of a very serious bear!

Benjamin Bear does everything in his own funny way, whether it's drying dishes on a rabbit’s back or throwing a ball at a friend to make him play. In this series of gags starring a very loopy bear, Philippe Coudray creates a zany world that makes kids think and solve puzzles, drawing all readers into the game.
Published August 23rd 2011 by Toon Books

To ask other readers questions about Benjamin Bear in Fuzzy Thinking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Benjamin Bear in Fuzzy Thinking

Evaluation: Each page is a different short story -- the panels are clean and easy to read, not convoluted and usually only one or two speech bubbles. While incredibly simple, the premise requires students to think about the object of the “lesson” or “reasoning” which does encourage a reader reflect on each panel, use the title, and context clues to help them understand the plot of the particular panel.

Audience and Application: The audience for the book is primarily for early readers or emerging
This is another winner from Toon Books. Their graphic novel line up for elementary aged children manages to be funny, smart and perfectly age appropriate. Originally published in France, this graphic novel has a certain elegance and style. Each comic in the book ranges from three to six panels, telling small stories in a quick, simple way. The humor ranges from a quiet contemplative joke about friendship to a physical slap-stick style. Coudray has woven those styles together so the book moves fr ...more
Jennifer Heise
My four year old is entranced by Benjamin Bear, and not just because the quadruped shares his name. These easy-to-follow beginning reader books work better than most comic formats as read-alouds for pre-readers, and the expressive but quirky characters lend themselves to childish retelling. This is one of the books he will pull out and 'read' to himself, rather than asking for someone to read it to him. He's especially fond of the snow episodes. There are some practical jokes pulled by character ...more
Sep 10, 2011 Amy added it
Shelves: j-comics, 2011
This was a super-quick read, but every page contains a pretty funny joke. The text is probably simple enough for a beginning reader, but I think you need some level of visual literacy to totally get most of the punchlines. My favorite joke was the one where Bears paints this messed up picture of Cow (which Cow laughs at), so Bear smacks Cow over the head to make him look messed up like the picture. Bear kind of reminds me of Frank Asch's bears, but lumpier and angrier. This is another great addi ...more
Many of these cartoon panels are hilarious, and readers will either groan in agony or laugh out loud. Benjamin is a pretty serious bear, and he approaches life in a serious fashion. Whether he's using his body to block the snow or enlisting a bunny friend to dry his dishes with his fur, grazing his way through the grocery store, he provides a unique perspective on everything. Young readers will find it challenging to figure out some of the punch lines in some of these panesl,
Jean Coughlin
1. Benjamin Bear could easily be read by first graders, but they wouldn’t get the humor. The play on words or puns, and the sarcasm is not easily understood by young students. Also the picture comedy is sometimes too subtle and needs a high level of inferencing on the part of the reader.
2. The book would be good to teach how to read graphic novels because each story is one page. The frames are easy to follow. The humor is probably more appropriate for 2nd grade on up. Otherwise the teacher would
Benjamin Bear In Fuzzy Thinking by Philippe Coudray is a series of one page comic stories starring a zany bear, with unusual thought processes.

Coudray's artwork was drawn in india ink and colored digitally. Many of these stories rely on a sight gag. Stories vary from 3 to 7 panels in length. My favorite images occur in the stories A Big Fish, Karate, a Long Nap, Man in the Moon, Help Your Friends, At the Store, a Good Friend, and Back to School.

This is a unique, off-beat collection that young r
I checked it out because it had a large penguin in a refrigerator. then Natasha swiped it out of my bag because it was quick.

Well, we both enjoyed it enormously, although I must say, I was disappointed that the cover penguin never made an appearance within the book. A good collection of one-page strips. I like the dynamics between the bear and the rabbit.

Library copy.
Each page is a different "joke". The graphic and text add in ease of reading. In one of the situations the bear hits another animal to matches a drawing. Not appropriate behavior.
Great book for beginning readers. It's simple to read, easy to understand, and will make you laugh out loud. My children and I really enjoyed this book.
Short kids comics that depict the goofy accidents and misunderstandings of Benjamin Bear. Feels very French in its unique clowning. Surprises throughout are hilarious.

Simple, clear style with not much dialogue. Great for new readers.

TOON book.
Allison Bedford
Short easy to read collection of comics my 1st grader loved and thought were funny
Carrie Gelson
Wonderfully engaging humour for those not ready for all of the text in other comics.
There is a giant, bulging slob of a penguin in the refrigerator on the front cover of this book. A giant bulging penguin who has apparently eaten everything in the refrigerator. A bear and a bunny confront the penguin. They are deadpan, silent - are they coming face to face with the consequences of a previous bad decision? Is the penguin a nightmarish symbol of some kind, a living, breathing reminder of our greedy id?

Full review on Pink Me:
Super cute!
Grades K-3

Young fans of comics will enjoy this French import, a collection of one-page graphic stories about Benjamin Bear and his various animal friends. The humor is simple enough for young children to grasp, yet clever enough for older readers to appreciate. There is a slapstick quality to the action that combines nicely with the unexpected ways that Benjamin Bear solves his problems. The drawings are full color and engaging. An excellent introduction to the world of graphic novels for prima
Elaine Bearden
Each page is a new story. I wish some of the story-lines went on for 2 or 3 pages, instead of one page each. Benjamin bear is quite funny, though I don't think his thinking is really fuzzy, though it is a fun title! Would be a great book to show examples of for studying comics and getting ready to draw our own. says it has free online cartoon makers and lesson plans. Drying the dishes with the rabbit who asks if he can help is hilarious! That is my favorite one.

This was a very strange book. I think I ordered it based on a review in Publisher's Weekly. I'm going to take this home and see how my son likes it because I think the humor will appeal to him. Not sure if I buy the "Easy Reader" bit because it doesn't repeat enough words to really give that kind of practice. I'd be interested to see how true beginning readers handle these graphics (my son is already reading way above this, so that part I can't test him on).
Really just a series of gags, but so cute, so clever and so delightfully illustrated. We loved it and my son read it over and over, he would even bring it along in the car just to read a page or two here and there. There's another one of these called Bright Ideas.
Destinee Sutton
I think this book is hilarious, but I like corny jokes. My favorite has to be when the fox karate chops some bricks and bear says he can karate chop the bricks too. Bear then picks up the fox and uses him to karate chop the blocks. You really have to see the jokes to appreciate them, though. Site gags abound. Highly recommended for lovers of jokey comics.

P.S. This is my one thousandth review!
This is more of a comic than graphic story. Each page has a new "funny" that reveals the fuzzy logic of Benjamin Bear and his friend rabbit. The text is good for early readers (Level 2 TOON book) but the thinking goes deeper. What did we think would happen vs what actually happened? And what's wrong with bear's thinking? What's right about it?
I know it's shameless to include this thin J-graphic novel on my "Books Read" list, but it's just too good to ignore. A very sophisticated look at logic featuring Benjamin Bear and his friend the bunny. Young kids will enjoy the art and the goofiness without really "getting it," but older, more sophisticated kids will love it.
Maybe this was below my reading level, but it seemed kinda stupid and not very clever or interesting.
Many of these one-pagers were the same "gag" repeated again and again ...

I know it is easy to be the critic, but I think teaching kids about different kinds of logic
Could and SHOULD be funny and interesting.
Jul 19, 2015 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: children who enjoy reading graphic novels
This is a strange, but humorous graphic novel featuring a cartoon bear. The illustrations are funny and the bear's antics are silly. We all read this book separately, although it would be good to read this book one on one with a child in order to explain some of the puns and humor.
Nicola Mansfield
I'm not totally thrilled with the Benjamin Bear books. The one page gags get old on me quite quickly but I found this much more funny than it's follow up "Bright Ideas" where I didn't even get some of the gags. The art is very cute though and typically French in style.
Gene Kannenberg Jr
Not what I was expecting (a narrative). Instead, each page is a stand-alone strip starring Benjamin Bear, usually featuring and one or more of his friends. Some of these strips are actually quite surreal - I can see how it would be fun to puzzle them out with younger readers.
I liked this, but as a children's book. The gags are juvenile, so anyone who thinks that this will be a comic book that transcends age will be disappointed. But for a children's book/comic, it is very cute. A good way to introduce kids to the genre, or reading, in general.
Not sure quite when we read this one, but it was from Durham County, so I'm guessing March or April 2014. It was ok, but not a favorite--one difference from other Toon Books is that it's a series of one page episodes instead of an over-arching story.
I was drawn to this book by it's cover art and the wonderful title which includes the line "fuzzy thinking".
In a series of short comics Benjamin Bear solves problems in unique ways with the help of his friends. It's really cute and wonderfully illustrated.
  • The Shark King: TOON Level 3
  • The Secret of the Stone Frog: A TOON Graphic
  • A Trip to the Bottom of the World with Mouse: TOON Level 1
  • Stinky
  • Spelling Trouble (The Misadventures of Salem Hyde, #1)
  • Binky Under Pressure
  • Two for One (Bink & Gollie, #2)
  • Little Mouse Gets Ready: TOON Level 1
  • Cow Boy A Boy and His Horse
  • Around the World
  • Odd Duck
  • The Adventures of Polo
  • Hera: The Goddess and her Glory (Olympians, #3)

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Philippe Coudray loves drawing comics, and his many children’s books are often used in schools in his home country of France, where his work was chosen by elementary school students for the prestigious Prix des Écoles d’ Angoulême. He relishes any opportunity to collaborate on children’s books and comics with his twin brother, Jean-Luc, who is also a humorist. Philippe lives in Bordeaux and enjoys ...more
More about Philippe Coudray...

Benjamin Bear (3 books)