Start by marking “Surrendered Hearts” as Want to Read:
Surrendered Hearts

Surrendered Hearts (Vermont Blessings #2)

Jennifer Evan’s life is changed forever when a gas pipeline explodes and causes a fire at her apartment. Losing her home and beloved dog are terrible blows, but the ugly scars that cover her arm, neck and shoulder steal her confidence and cause her fiancé to desert her. With her funds depleted and her job as an actress at a dinner theater on hold, she heads for Vermont whe ...more
ebook
Published April 3rd 2011 (first published 2011)

Vinita
Sep 14, 2012 Vinita rated it really liked it
It is said that we identify with what we have experienced. Surrendered Hearts by Carrie Turansky is a book with many serious themes. However, the one that stayed with me is the one about Jenn Evans’ realization that God has always loved her and has been waiting for her.
We all have a choice and when our eternity rests on that choice, it becomes the most important choice of our life. However, when we don’t even want to consider God, it becomes harder to see His protection and love in our life.
Jen
Silver James
Aug 31, 2012 Silver James rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012-books-read
Surrendered Hearts is a lovely and emotional book about a scarred heroine who meets a kind man who's faith in God sees him over every obstacle. After suffering the loss of a beloved dog and disfiguring scars in an explosion, Jennifer Evans retreats to Vermont where her brother works at a wildlife refuge. Her fiance abandoned her, her job is on hold, and she has profound spiritual questions that are seared in her soul as deeply as the burns that scarred her skin.

Jennifer learns beauty isn't skin
Heather
Mar 02, 2013 Heather rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed "Surrendered Hearts" by Carrie Turansky because of the flawed characters. Even Bill, the mature Christian hero, isn't a perfect prince charming (though he does lend some aid to the damsel in distress.) The dialog kept me turning the pages. There's lots of genuine emotion, from Jenn's struggle to trust God to funny lighthearted romance. The nature park setting adds a lot to the story and I really felt like I'd traveled to Vermont. There's a cast of charming supporting characters and a v ...more
Marguerite Gray
A beautiful contemporary love story set in Vermont . Past hurts and disappointments hinder the chance for a fresh start. This is my first book by this author. I look forward to reading more of her work .
Anna
Aug 04, 2012 Anna rated it it was amazing
‘Surrendered Hearts’ by Carrie Turansky is a beautiful story of how God reveals his unconditional love and mercy through the attitudes and actions of others.

Following the death of her parents, Jenn gives up on God, who could have prevented the accident that killed them. Years later, a fire rips through her apartment and her life, leaving her feeling unbeautiful, unloved, and even more lost. With only a duffel bag of belongings to call her own, she journeys to the home of her older brother, Wes(
Sheri Salatin
Apr 26, 2011 Sheri Salatin rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
This book was a sweet story about how our scars in life can effect our outlook on life. The Christian message of God healing our hurts and never leaving us sang loud and clear, but did not dominate the story line. The characters were real and very well done. I especially love how Turansky portrayed Bill. He had flaws but was a gentleman clean through. I fell in love with him.

The story left me feeling very satisfied and I closed the book with a smile on my face. The author tied up loose ends very
Sally Witt
Jul 05, 2013 Sally Witt rated it it was amazing
I just finished reading my first book on a Kindle app on the ipad. "Surrendered Hearts" by Carrie Turansky.

It was SO GOOD!

I thought I was too old fashioned to read a book that way, but I loved it. It was actually easier to see without my glasses!

The story and characters were so good, I feel like I had a vacation in the beautiful parklands in New Hampshire.

The book kept my interest, and uplifted my heart.

I highly recommend it, and will be happy to try other books on the Kindle app as well.

"Old do
Cynthia Marcano
Oct 24, 2016 Cynthia Marcano rated it liked it
Quick read for me. I liked Bill but every other character feel flat for me. Main character Jenn was hot and cold and not very likeable at first. Took too long for me to warm up to the whole book.

Lots of predicatable bits. Blaming God for parents not saving parents has been done so many times that I didn't feel the empathy I should have for Jenn and her character.

Not a bad book, just wished it had a bit more depth.

I did like that Bill and Wes were naturalists and worked for a nature center. I ca
A J Hawke
May 26, 2011 A J Hawke rated it it was amazing
Carrie Turansky's novel, Surrendered Hearts, is a story of love developing through life's pain and suffering. This is the story of Bill Morgan who first appeared in Carrie's novel, Along Came Love, and Jennifer Evan. Jenn needs a new start after her life was devastated by a fire that left her scared, physically and emotionally. Bill, a quiet man of faith, is ready for the right girl. But is Jennifer the one God has led him to embrace?
A sweet story set in a great location with likeable character
Bobbie
Jul 25, 2011 Bobbie rated it really liked it
This is a beautiful story of family, friends and new beginnings. The descriptions are lovely and the characterization is wonderful.
I enjoyed the way Ms Turansky reveals little bits of her character's backgrounds throughout the story, helping the reader see the reasons for their actions and feelings.
Support characters are also well-developed and believable. The setting makes you want to live in the town -- or at least visit there for a while.
Carla Stewart
Jul 19, 2011 Carla Stewart rated it it was amazing
Lovely romance in beautiful Vermont! Perfect for a quick summer read. I loved Carrie's tender voice and heartfelt characters.
Tracy Wainwright
Dec 18, 2016 Tracy Wainwright rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable

This story was enjoyable, if predictable. The writing is as cozy and inviting as the setting. Love the healing that's presented.
Nastassja Loots
Aug 16, 2013 Nastassja Loots rated it liked it
Blog: http://nastassjaloots.blogspot.com/20...

Surrendered hearts by Carrie Turansky follows Jennifer Evans as she hits rock bottom. Jennifer lost faith in God many years ago when he failed to answer her prayers and keep her parents alive. With Jennifer’s older brother, Wes, away at college, Jenn is sent to live with an Aunt and Uncle who resent her presence and cause her to retreat even more into herself. Years later after Jennifer has finally established independence, she finds herself homeles
Joleen
Nov 02, 2011 Joleen rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Absolutely anyone
Recommended to Joleen by: Carrie Fancett Pagels and Diana Flowers
Integrity is the word I have to use for Ms. Turansky and her writing. In Surrendered Hearts she had the integrity to write her characters with biblical knowledge and they weren't afraid to be obedient to what they knew to be right. The believers in this book reminded me of many passages from Proverbs that speak of the importance to act in wisdom and knowledge of the Word, even when their hearts feel contrary. Being pulled in different directions, they still prayed for what they needed to do, and ...more
Marcy
Jan 31, 2013 Marcy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Any and all lovers of a great love story
This was an amazing book. I loved it so much I couldn't put it down and read it in 2 sittings. As always Carrie Turansky wrote with vivid detail that made me feel like I was sitting right there with the characters. The story is uplifting and based on God.

The moral of the story, I'm a teacher sorry, I that God conquers all, loves us no matter what and is always there waiting for us to turn to Him with His arms wide open. God can and will turn everything to good if we just let Him. Even if we turn
Kara
Mar 14, 2013 Kara rated it it was amazing
There is something so comforting when reading a book by Turansky, it’s like meeting a new friend or saying hi to one you haven’t visited for a while. The story welcomes you in and you get to love the characters in a quick manner without feeling rushed. Surrendered Hearts follows the journey of Jennifer after she has suffered a trauma. In an instant, Jennifer’s apartment blows up killing her beloved dog, leaving her with burns and scars, and her fiancé leaves her once he has seen the damage done ...more
Valerie Comer
Mar 30, 2013 Valerie Comer rated it it was amazing
Jennifer Evans has come to Vermont because her brother is getting married. Sure, she's a month or two early. Caught in a house fire and badly burned, Jennifer has lost her job and undergone surgeries as she recovered. After Wes's wedding will be soon enough to recreate her life. . .if she can.

Bill Morgan is Wes's roommate and boss at Wild River Resort Nature Center. Somehow Jennifer hadn't realized her brother didn't have his own place. She's sure to be in the way, but both Bill and Wes invite h
Brittany
Jul 10, 2013 Brittany rated it it was amazing
Jennifer Evans is a young woman who has experienced a great deal of loss in her life. She grew up knowing about God, however, she lost any fledgling faith she had when she lost her parents. In Surrendered Hearts we discover that Jenn carries scars deeper than the scars on her body from an apartment fire that she survived.

Bill Morgan is attracted to Jenn from the start. As a Christian man, he realizes that he is not to be unequally yoked. But can his love and desire for Jenn be put on hold in ord
Judy
May 15, 2013 Judy rated it it was amazing
Surrendered Hearts by Carrie Turansky
Jennifer Evans has lost her faith. How could a loving God take everything away from her? First her parents and then her home, dog, fiance and she was left disfigured. When she goes to Tipton, Vermont with hopes that her brother will take her in, she sees people living their faith. Can she make room for God in her life once again?
Bill Morgan is taken with his best friends little sister. Jenn is so beautiful and her scars don’t distract from her. But, she is no
Susie
Jun 30, 2013 Susie rated it really liked it
Can a person learn to trust God after He has "ignored" her deepest prayers and allowed tragedy into her life time after time? Can she learn to trust people again after so many have let her down? I hoped so - and yet Bill's efforts to build her faith go awry each time he tries. Can a man who is committed to sharing his life with a woman who shares his deep faith walk away from the woman he is so drawn to? Carrie Turansky explores these questions as she weaves Jenn's & Bill's lives together. T ...more
Ane Mulligan
Feb 16, 2014 Ane Mulligan rated it really liked it
This is a book every mother should give her young teenage daughters to show them what to look for in a man. It's a romance that shows the power of God when hearts are yielded to Him. It's a story of God's grace and healing. Carrie Turansky reminds me of a modern day Grace Livingston Hill, whose love stories enthralled an entire generation. The characters are so real, with hurts and preconceived notions about people ... in other words, just like us. You'll want the story to go on and not end. Nov ...more
Danae
Dec 25, 2015 Danae rated it it was ok
This book was just OK. I picked it up for a quick read and it served that purpose. The characters are relatable and enjoyable, but I had the end figured out by chapter 2. There were also a few typos that are inexcusable (I don't remember in particular, but one was along the lines of hear/here). Things like that are a shame because they take me away from the story. Fun read, but could be a lot better.
Marvy Herrera
OOh this not and usual book..First there's rejection from Bill to Jennifer and then the fact the she didn't wan't anything with God..I found intersting Bill,even more that Jennifer..He had a big decision to take..Let go and trust God or just do things like he want..In the bible God it's clear about relationship with a non christian and how beautiful and lovely it's when yur give God your all, he will give you the desires of your heart..I really enjoy this book..
Lynne Stringer
I thought this book was an enjoyable, if predictable, Christian romance. And I'm not against a book being predictable either. Sometimes I prefer that to a lot of huge curve balls. :-) However, I also found it a little difficult to bond with the characters and it took a while before the book engaged me in a significant way. I also felt that Jenn's return to faith seemed a little too simple and neat. I guess it can happen that way, but it seemed unrealistically easy.
Liz melia
Sep 15, 2013 Liz melia rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, heartache, loneliness, sadness, what a very hard time Jenn has had, it's no wonder she has no smile in her face. What I love about this book is how Jenn learns to reconnect, grow, to heal, to accept and to love not just with the ppl around her but on a spiritual level too, extremely heart warming read, makes you remember there is always a clear sky after a cloudy day
Dianne Sidebottom
Apr 02, 2015 Dianne Sidebottom rated it really liked it
I liked the story. Conflict n change and to quote Bill "I wanted us to be together, but I wasn't sure if it was going to work out because of all the faith issues you were struggling with,". It was interesting to read this story as this isn't my experience but wonder how a relationship may begin that is Godly.
Jen Carlson
Aug 17, 2013 Jen Carlson rated it it was amazing
Hurting heart healed by God's love demonstrated through characters that stay connected to God. This book is encouraging and challenges us to trust God even when we don't have the answers to the suffering in our lives. If you haven't ever personally experienced this type of love, then read this book to ignite hope in your heart and discover it can be so for you too.
Rexine
Mar 11, 2013 Rexine rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this story. Romance novels aren't really my thing, I like romantic suspense stories, but I couldn't put this one down. Great characters, lovely story and the right amount of Christianity thrown in so that its not overbearing. This is the 2nd book in a series (slightly unrelated), but I haven't read book 1.
Tom Park
Jul 22, 2013 Tom Park rated it really liked it
Don't usually read these kind of books, but the reviews of others intrigued me. It was a fast read and did have a couple or three developed characters. Didn't take long to come to "knowing" the ending, but enjoyed getting there. A nice fast read.
Nora Ballew
Apr 18, 2013 Nora Ballew rated it liked it
This is a nice light read... great while relaxing on your deck with a glass of iced tea. It's Christian fiction, romance that will having you pulling for the couple! The story premise is pretty simple, with only a small twist or two, but that's what makes it a great leisurly read!
The Free Book Cha...: Surrendered Hearts, by Carrie Turansky 1 6 Jun 22, 2013 08:17PM
  • High Desert Haven (The Shepherd's Heart, #2)
  • Beautiful Bandit (Lone Star Legends, #1)
  • But For Grace
  • Picket Fence Pursuit
  • Tomorrow's Sun (Lost Sanctuary #1)
  • Tough Love (Love and Trust Trilogy, #3)
  • Cafenova (Clairmont Series #1)
  • Leave It to Chance
  • Cowboy (The Harmony Series #1)
  • Baron of Emberly (The Feud, #2)
  • Always Yesterday
  • Texas Whirlwind
  • Fire and Ice (Wild at Heart, #3)
  • Christmas Gifts: Small Town Christmas\Her Christmas Cowboy (The Cowboy Series, #9)
  • Beyond the Storm (Quilts of Love, #1)
  • Chocolate Beach (Chocolate Series #1)
  • Love's Image
  • Falling in Love (Seasons of the Heart, #1)
Carrie Turansky is the award-winning author of more than a dozen inspirational romance novels and novellas. She has won the ACFW Carol Award, the International Digital Award, and the Crystal Globe Award. Her most recent releases are A Refuge at Highland Hall, Moonlight Over Manhattan, and Mountain Christmas Brides. Shine Like the Dawn releases 2/21/17. She lives in New Jersey with her husband, Sco ...more
More about Carrie Turansky...

Vermont Blessings (2 books)
  • Along Came Love (Vermont Blessings #1)