Start by marking “Mush!: Sled Dogs with Issues” as Want to Read:
Mush!: Sled Dogs with Issues

Mush!: Sled Dogs with Issues

Venus wants Buddy to quit asking her to "make puppies."
Buddy wants Winston's help wooing Venus.
Winston wants Guy's respect.
Guy wants Dolly's job.
Dolly wants to know the meaning of it all.
Nobody knows what Fiddler really wants, not even Fiddler.

But mostly...the sled dogs just want to run.

Sound simple?
It should be, but even dogs have their office politics.

And let's n
Published December 6th 2011 by First Second

To ask other readers questions about Mush!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mush!

Chris
Dec 10, 2011 Chris rated it really liked it
I started 2012 with two graphic novels I got for Christmas.
One of them made me laugh and one of them made me cry.**

This is the one that made me laugh.

Who knew sled dog teams were so full of relationship issues, office politics, and all-out existential angst? (Apparently, Glenn Eichler knew, but I had never given it a thought.)

Spend some time with...
Dolly, lead dog, questioning both her ability and desire to lead.
Fiddler, who ponders life, the universe, and everything
Venus, who resents the fact t
First Second Books
Aug 08, 2011 First Second Books rated it it was amazing
We just got copies of this book in the office, and it looks terrific! Joe Infurnari is such a talented cartoonist -- this book is set up north, so there are 160 pages of snow. And he manages to make them all look gorgeous.

I don't know how he did it.
Emily
Jul 14, 2016 Emily rated it it was ok
Actually 2.5 stars.

This was by no means a bad book, but I certainly wouldn't classify it as a great book. It's meandering somewhere in between the two. First of all, it was written from an animal's perspective and it didn't appear to be the type of book to make me bawl, so when I found this in the library on some random shelf I was all over it. I do not regret my decision because dogs will (and currently do imho) rule the planet, so anything even vaguely having to do with them is worth picking u
Peacegal
Feb 17, 2012 Peacegal rated it really liked it
Wonderful idea and a great execution. Mush focuses upon a a team of sled dogs with very different (and often clashing) personalities. They live for the brief thrill of going on "runs" when their gruff trapper owner can be bothered to hitch up his sled to check his traplines.

At all other times, the dog pen is filled with ennui, "office" politics, friendships forged and broken, and speculation on the goings-on of the "boss" and his long-suffering "mate." It's like Balto for adult working stiffs.
Michael
Oct 14, 2011 Michael rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-manga
Hair-brained philosopher, reluctant hero, conniving backstabber, blue-blood snob, hey, dogs are people too!
Leilani
Mar 15, 2017 Leilani rated it it was ok
I loved the art, a few of the characters (Fiddler and Dolly's philosphical debates were the highlight of the book.) and a handful of lines...but otherwise the story was underwhelming and content occasionally crass. (To be fair, my surprise at the level of inuendo is probably all my own fualt for not reading the dust jacket ahead of time.) That said, the dynamic crosshatching elevates this book to a three star rating.
Sharon Tyler
Nov 10, 2011 Sharon Tyler rated it liked it
Mush! Sled Dogs with Issues is a graphic novel written by Glenn Eichler and Illustrated by Joe Infurnari. It is set for release on December 6 2011. This is the story of one team of sled dogs, their master and their master’s mate. Power struggles and politics are not reserved for people. Even a seemingly simple team of sled dogs has their struggles. Venus wants Buddy to stop trying to be her mate. Buddy wants help wooing Venus, and to ultimately secure her as his mate. Winston wants to be respect ...more
Melissa Mcavoy
Feb 04, 2012 Melissa Mcavoy rated it it was amazing
The ruminations of sled dogs might not seem of compelling concern to high school kids or adults, but Glenn Eichler, a writer for the Colbert Report and Joe Infurnari, Eisner nominated artist, have crafted a graphic novel that makes sled dog angst both relatable and hilarious. Over the course of the novel, alliances shift and relationships deepen as the pack chew over everything from puppy love to the meaning of life: “But what if we invented the fence to avoid taking responsibility for our own d ...more
Emilie
Jan 11, 2012 Emilie rated it liked it
My feelings on this book are pretty neutral, mostly because it turned out to just not really be my cup of tea.
One of the best points for me was probably the art. It was really nice; the characters all looked distinctive (which isn't always the case with animal characters, in my experience), and their emotions were shown very clearly through their expressions and body language (also not always the case with non-human characters). The style was just really great, and made all the dogs seem so end
Jill
Jan 21, 2012 Jill rated it really liked it
I won this book in a Goodreads book give away. I was excited when it arrived and read it right away. This is a graphic novel told from the point of view of a team of sled dogs. The illustration are done in muted browns, blue and white. I have not read many graphic novels, though my kids at school love them. This one is definitely more for teens or adults as breeding is part of the story. It was a quick and enjoyable read. The characters are interesting and lovable. You have the leader who not su ...more
Shazza Maddog
Aug 23, 2015 Shazza Maddog rated it liked it
This graphic novel takes place in the far North, where six sled dogs and two humans are navigating the dangerous terrain known as 'life'. Okay, so it's not that bleak. But the dogs, Dolly, the lead dog, Venus, a wheel dog, Buddy, Venus' not-so-bright partner, Winston, the purebred, Gus, the devious one, and Fiddler, content to follow Dolly - all they really want is to run. Well, and Buddy wants a relationship with Venus because they've had a couple of litters in the past, and Gus wants to take D ...more
Gail
Dec 18, 2011 Gail marked it as to-read
I'll have to find a copy of this book.My daughter has a husky that has issues. They don't have a fenced in yard so you have to take him out on a leash. So if the wind is blowing he won't go, if the dog next door is out he won't go. He was pooping one time and the dog next door came out and he stopped and sucked it back in. I had never seen anything like that before. He doesn't even like me watching so if he thinks I am he won't go. Sometimes he wants to go out because he knows the dogs next door ...more
Amber
Jan 12, 2015 Amber rated it liked it
A fun, quick, witty look at the politics of a pack of sled dogs and their struggles to better understand themselves, and how they relate to one another. Joe Infurnari brings these pups to light in such a beautifully comic way that you can't help but laugh out loud at their antics. However, not everything is silly with these dogs, they do have bigger issues to contend with and as they work through their issues, their boss and his mate tackle their own problem. You really have to appreciate the st ...more
Penny Peck
Feb 17, 2013 Penny Peck rated it liked it
Shelves: children-ya
Although the size of this graphic novel may lead one to think it is for tweens or teens, it is really better for adults. It has two stories - the human couple and their relationship, and the dogs (who are much more interesting than the whiny adults), and how the dogs interact. The dogs' stories are an allegory on human marital relationships, making this inappropriate for tweens and not meaningful to teens. But great for adults! The artwork is excellent; the dogs' faces show a lot of character an ...more
P.
Aug 02, 2012 P. rated it did not like it
Shelves: comics
Great art - the landscapes are gorgeous and the dogs are realistic while maintaining a nice cartooniness. The writer did a good job delineating the dog's personalities. I just have a hard time when animals talk and they use human analogies and speak from really human-centered points of view but then profess to not understand things about humans. If you are not like me and that doesn't bother you, then this book will really work!
Jen Green
May 09, 2012 Jen Green rated it liked it
Overall it was a funny, short read. I enjoyed it for what it was, an in between book (a quick read in between the books that you are really trying to get to). And silly me, I thought the dogs issues would include the little things like snow, food, and fleas. However, these dogs apparently have serious issues, including a love triangle and job performance anxiety. Top it all off with a little psychological debate and you have one interesting read.
Jim
Jan 07, 2012 Jim rated it liked it
Shelves: dogs
great story and writing.

horrible art. samoyeds and huskies are the two most beautiful dog breeds on earth and these look terrible. that's supposed to be a sam on the cover, 8th generation purebread no less. they look less attractive than chinese crested.

for sam and husky fans, check this out at a library if you must, but don't buy it. to read a beautifully illoed graphic novel about dogs get either Laika or the Korgi volumes.
Hilary
Mar 12, 2013 Hilary rated it really liked it
I never knew that sled dogs had so many existential concerns!

This graphic novel was delightful. Cleverly written, beautifully illustrated, and well... just damn fun. I enjoyed the pack dynamics and the groan worthy punch lines. Reading the book in the library I did end up laughing out loud.

Quite fun, quite entertaining, and a very quick read. Four stars.
Andres
Jan 06, 2012 Andres rated it liked it
A fairly quick and fun read. The sled dogs each have their own personality and watching them clash is fun. I most liked the one with the cynical bent (like likes like, right?) but they are all fun in their own way. It wasn't always easy to visually differentiate who was who so it got a little confusing at times, but this was an enjoyable jaunt into the world of sled dogs.
Carrie Shaurette
While the artwork did match the scattershot dog mentality and the color scheme of the Alaskan wilderness, I found the illustrations dull and not fitting of the witty narrative which moved along at a brisk pace. I appreciated some of the clever writing, but overall the disconnect between art and text was unsatisfying.
Ben
Feb 08, 2012 Ben rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic, adultfic
Amusing story about the dogs and their human owners. The story didn't go much of anywhere, and the dogs were a little hard to tell apart for the first half of the story. It might have done better with fewer characters. Still, the dialogue made the dogs seem almost human, even if the illustration was lacking.
Barbara
Jul 06, 2012 Barbara rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Very funny in an understated way. I got the dogs mixed up with one another at times, but in the back of the book there were some pages with the different dog characters, their names and roles in the team, so that helped keep me straight.
Brie
Dec 14, 2011 Brie rated it it was amazing
I love this comic! Snarky sled dogs struggling with power issues. The characters are well plotted and the story interesting. There is a lot of humor and a lot of it is sarcastic in nature. The drawing of the comic itself is quite good and the dogs have definite personalities.

Loved it!
Violetta
Sep 13, 2014 Violetta rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Turns out it's a dog's life all around. But hey, who ever said anything was supposed to be easy?

Meet Dolly, Venus, Buddy, Fiddler, Winston, and Guy, a pack of sled dogs trying to have it all. They love to run, but is running what life is all about?
Deimosa Webber-Bey
May 31, 2012 Deimosa Webber-Bey rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I liked it, despite giving it only three stars. Wasn't amazing, but good story from the dogs' perspective. The way these dogs look forward to a run is probably how every dog anticipates going for a walk.
Nesie
May 04, 2012 Nesie rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
A quick, fun read. Infurnari's drawings work perfectly to show each dog's personality, and Eichler writes good dialogue. This is just a few chapters in the life of a sled dog pack, with a side story about their humans. Leaf through it if you're looking for something different.
Lisa Wolf
Jun 28, 2015 Lisa Wolf rated it really liked it
3.5 stars.

A short, funny graphic novel about relationships and power dynamics, as told by a team of six sled dogs. Picked up at random at the library, but it ended up being a good diversion in between heavier reads.
Jessica
Jan 20, 2012 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, humor
Quirky, sometimes funny graphic novel about a team of sled dogs in Alaska. Most of the book is told from the dogs' point of view. You know you want to read a book where dogs talk about being in heat and mating!
Melle
Apr 28, 2015 Melle rated it liked it
Recommends it for: teens who still love dog stories
People who enjoyed Nick Abadzis' Laika, Jack London's The Call of the Wild, and books on survivalism, extreme places, sled dogs, and or adventure stories might like this. I'd recommend this to the teens who still haven't grown out of dog stories yet.
Kathleen
Oct 31, 2016 Kathleen rated it really liked it
It took me until halfway through the book to realize the humans weren't babbling at the dogs: it only sounds like that because they don't speak dog! They're perfectly intelligible to each other, as are the (surprisingly political) dogs.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Dawn Land
  • Resistance (Resistance, #1)
  • He's Your Dog, Charlie Brown
  • The Stratford Zoo Midnight Revue Presents Macbeth (Stratford Zoo Midnight Revue, #1)
  • Red Handed: The Fine Art of Strange Crimes
  • How the World Was: A California Childhood
  • The Zoo Box
  • The Cute Girl Network
  • Last of the Sandwalkers
  • Prime Baby
  • Dogs of War
  • Orcs: Forged for War
  • Poseidon: Earth Shaker (Olympians, #5)
  • Science Comics: Coral Reefs: Cities of the Ocean