Mush!: Sled Dogs with Issues

Mush!: Sled Dogs with Issues

3.29 of 5 stars 3.29  ·  rating details  ·  132 ratings  ·  41 reviews
Venus wants Buddy to quit asking her to “make puppies.” Buddy wants Winston’s help wooing Venus. Winston wants Guy’s respect. Guy wants Dolly’s job. Dolly wants to know the meaning of it all. Nobody knows what Fiddler really wants, not even Fiddler. But mostly . . . these sled dogs just want to run.

Sounds simple? It should be, but even dogs have their office politics. Offi...more
Published December 6th 2011 by First Second

To ask other readers questions about Mush!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mush!

Chris
I started 2012 with two graphic novels I got for Christmas.
One of them made me laugh and one of them made me cry.**

This is the one that made me laugh.

Who knew sled dog teams were so full of relationship issues, office politics, and all-out existential angst? (Apparently, Glenn Eichler knew, but I had never given it a thought.)

Spend some time with...
Dolly, lead dog, questioning both her ability and desire to lead.
Fiddler, who ponders life, the universe, and everything
Venus, who resents the fact t...more
First Second Books
We just got copies of this book in the office, and it looks terrific! Joe Infurnari is such a talented cartoonist -- this book is set up north, so there are 160 pages of snow. And he manages to make them all look gorgeous.

I don't know how he did it.
Peacegal
Wonderful idea and a great execution. Mush focuses upon a a team of sled dogs with very different (and often clashing) personalities. They live for the brief thrill of going on "runs" when their gruff trapper owner can be bothered to hitch up his sled to check his traplines.

At all other times, the dog pen is filled with ennui, "office" politics, friendships forged and broken, and speculation on the goings-on of the "boss" and his long-suffering "mate." It's like Balto for adult working stiffs....more
Michael
Hair-brained philosopher, reluctant hero, conniving backstabber, blue-blood snob, hey, dogs are people too!
Sharon Tyler
Mush! Sled Dogs with Issues is a graphic novel written by Glenn Eichler and Illustrated by Joe Infurnari. It is set for release on December 6 2011. This is the story of one team of sled dogs, their master and their master’s mate. Power struggles and politics are not reserved for people. Even a seemingly simple team of sled dogs has their struggles. Venus wants Buddy to stop trying to be her mate. Buddy wants help wooing Venus, and to ultimately secure her as his mate. Winston wants to be respect...more
Melissa Mcavoy
The ruminations of sled dogs might not seem of compelling concern to high school kids or adults, but Glenn Eichler, a writer for the Colbert Report and Joe Infurnari, Eisner nominated artist, have crafted a graphic novel that makes sled dog angst both relatable and hilarious. Over the course of the novel, alliances shift and relationships deepen as the pack chew over everything from puppy love to the meaning of life: “But what if we invented the fence to avoid taking responsibility for our own d...more
Emilie
My feelings on this book are pretty neutral, mostly because it turned out to just not really be my cup of tea.
One of the best points for me was probably the art. It was really nice; the characters all looked distinctive (which isn't always the case with animal characters, in my experience), and their emotions were shown very clearly through their expressions and body language (also not always the case with non-human characters). The style was just really great, and made all the dogs seem so end...more
Jill
I won this book in a Goodreads book give away. I was excited when it arrived and read it right away. This is a graphic novel told from the point of view of a team of sled dogs. The illustration are done in muted browns, blue and white. I have not read many graphic novels, though my kids at school love them. This one is definitely more for teens or adults as breeding is part of the story. It was a quick and enjoyable read. The characters are interesting and lovable. You have the leader who not su...more
Gail
Jan 23, 2012 Gail marked it as to-read
I'll have to find a copy of this book.My daughter has a husky that has issues. They don't have a fenced in yard so you have to take him out on a leash. So if the wind is blowing he won't go, if the dog next door is out he won't go. He was pooping one time and the dog next door came out and he stopped and sucked it back in. I had never seen anything like that before. He doesn't even like me watching so if he thinks I am he won't go. Sometimes he wants to go out because he knows the dogs next door...more
Chris
cute, but nothing great. Middle school-ish reading level. Not really my sense of humor.
Penny Peck
Although the size of this graphic novel may lead one to think it is for tweens or teens, it is really better for adults. It has two stories - the human couple and their relationship, and the dogs (who are much more interesting than the whiny adults), and how the dogs interact. The dogs' stories are an allegory on human marital relationships, making this inappropriate for tweens and not meaningful to teens. But great for adults! The artwork is excellent; the dogs' faces show a lot of character an...more
Jen Green
Overall it was a funny, short read. I enjoyed it for what it was, an in between book (a quick read in between the books that you are really trying to get to). And silly me, I thought the dogs issues would include the little things like snow, food, and fleas. However, these dogs apparently have serious issues, including a love triangle and job performance anxiety. Top it all off with a little psychological debate and you have one interesting read.
Jim
Jun 06, 2012 Jim rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: dogs
great story and writing.

horrible art. samoyeds and huskies are the two most beautiful dog breeds on earth and these look terrible. that's supposed to be a sam on the cover, 8th generation purebread no less. they look less attractive than chinese crested.

for sam and husky fans, check this out at a library if you must, but don't buy it. to read a beautifully illoed graphic novel about dogs get either Laika or the Korgi volumes.
Tessa
Aug 02, 2012 Tessa added it
Shelves: comics
Great art - the landscapes are gorgeous and the dogs are realistic while maintaining a nice cartooniness. The writer did a good job delineating the dog's personalities. I just have a hard time when animals talk and they use human analogies and speak from really human-centered points of view but then profess to not understand things about humans. If you are not like me and that doesn't bother you, then this book will really work!
Andres
A fairly quick and fun read. The sled dogs each have their own personality and watching them clash is fun. I most liked the one with the cynical bent (like likes like, right?) but they are all fun in their own way. It wasn't always easy to visually differentiate who was who so it got a little confusing at times, but this was an enjoyable jaunt into the world of sled dogs.
Fox
I never knew that sled dogs had so many existential concerns!

This graphic novel was delightful. Cleverly written, beautifully illustrated, and well... just damn fun. I enjoyed the pack dynamics and the groan worthy punch lines. Reading the book in the library I did end up laughing out loud.

Quite fun, quite entertaining, and a very quick read. Four stars.
Carrie Shaurette
While the artwork did match the scattershot dog mentality and the color scheme of the Alaskan wilderness, I found the illustrations dull and not fitting of the witty narrative which moved along at a brisk pace. I appreciated some of the clever writing, but overall the disconnect between art and text was unsatisfying.
Ben
Amusing story about the dogs and their human owners. The story didn't go much of anywhere, and the dogs were a little hard to tell apart for the first half of the story. It might have done better with fewer characters. Still, the dialogue made the dogs seem almost human, even if the illustration was lacking.
Brie
I love this comic! Snarky sled dogs struggling with power issues. The characters are well plotted and the story interesting. There is a lot of humor and a lot of it is sarcastic in nature. The drawing of the comic itself is quite good and the dogs have definite personalities.

Loved it!
Nesie
A quick, fun read. Infurnari's drawings work perfectly to show each dog's personality, and Eichler writes good dialogue. This is just a few chapters in the life of a sled dog pack, with a side story about their humans. Leaf through it if you're looking for something different.
Barbara
Very funny in an understated way. I got the dogs mixed up with one another at times, but in the back of the book there were some pages with the different dog characters, their names and roles in the team, so that helped keep me straight.
Janet
This graphic novel about a sled dog team cracked me up! I wonder if this is how dogs think? The story was so funny and the artwork is amazing. I loved the pictures of the dogs running with their tongues hanging out.
Jessica
Quirky, sometimes funny graphic novel about a team of sled dogs in Alaska. Most of the book is told from the dogs' point of view. You know you want to read a book where dogs talk about being in heat and mating!
Deimosa Webber-Bey
I liked it, despite giving it only three stars. Wasn't amazing, but good story from the dogs' perspective. The way these dogs look forward to a run is probably how every dog anticipates going for a walk.
Peter
Oct 06, 2012 Peter rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Dog owners
Enjoyed highly! The realm of the sled dogs and the politics the dog pecking-order, with a side order of humans. Recommended for dog owners, maybe not so much for cat-people and dog neutrals :-)
Angie
Quick, hilarious, true to the jacket description: "but even dogs have their office politics." I'll be sure to look up more by this creative team.
Beth
If dogs went to High School! Hilarious! Glenn Eichler caught the exactness of the dogs desire to run and the down side of not running.
Edward Sullivan
Who would have thought dogs could be more emotionally dyfinctional than humans? Funny, occasionally hilarious.
  • Resistance (Resistance, #1)
  • Dawn Land
  • The Cute Girl Network
  • Lewis & Clark
  • Red Handed: The Fine Art of Strange Crimes
  • Sumo
  • Broxo
  • Tune: Still Life (Tune, #2)
  • Ball Peen Hammer
  • The Unsinkable Walker Bean
  • Will Supervillains Be on the Final?: Liberty Vocational    Volume 1
  • Genius
  • Leo Geo and His Miraculous Journey Through the Center of the Earth
  • Poseidon: Earth Shaker (Olympians, #5)
  • Curses! Foiled Again (Foiled, #2)
  • Dogs of War
  • Prime Baby
  • Woman Rebel: The Margaret Sanger Story
Stuffed! Bill & Hillary's 12-Step Recovery Guide, How to Recover from Anything Bill and Hillary's 12-step Guide to Political Recovery I Am America (And So Can You!) Beavis and Butthead Ensucklopedia