Start by marking “Creative Nature & Outdoor Photography” as Want to Read:
Creative Nature & Outdoor Photography

Creative Nature & Outdoor Photography

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  173 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
A classic guide to creative nature photography, now updated for the digital world.

Amateur and experienced photographers interested in taking more compelling, personal images will love this new edition of Creative Nature & Outdoor Photography, now updated to address the exciting possibilities (and challenges) of digital image-making. Author Brenda Tharp’s inspiring appr
ebook, Revised, 160 pages
Published April 5th 2011 by Amphoto Books (first published March 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Creative Nature & Outdoor Photography, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Creative Nature & Outdoor Photography

Sharada Prasad CS
I am new to photography. But I have read so many books on landscape photography that after a while I don't really learn much from a new book. But this book seemed very useful. It had lot of new content related to composition. I am a fan of exposure data which was provided for every photograph in the book. The book also lists a large number of techniques but does not talk about the gear and other technical details in detail. But this is a great book for beginners to intermediate photographers.
Mark Hiser
Jun 16, 2011 Mark Hiser rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just finished a one week workshop with Brenda Tharp at Maine Media Workshops. After learning so much from this gifted teacher I just had to run out and buy the book to learn even more. Brenda makes it so clear that good photography is very much an expression of self and that the more aware we become of ourselves in this universe, and the more we are able to bypass our fears and live fully in the moment, the more we will be able to create photographs that speak of that experience.
Amanda
Nov 09, 2009 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is not so much a technical, 'how to tweak the settings on your camera' type of book; it focuses much more on how to use light, color, composition, etc. to take beautiful photographs. She also suggests activities/exercises to try and help you to explore the ideas she outlines in her book. I will definitely be bringing a better educated eye out with me when I go on my next photography mission!
Vanessa
Nov 06, 2013 Vanessa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. To me the discussion on composition and design is well balanced with the technical aspects. The pretty pictures really help illustrate the discussion points. Quite inspiring, especially the section on abstract/impressionist approach.
Vaughn Bender
A great book both visually and written explaining and showing great ways of composition for a Photographer looking for inspiration. Very much enjoyed it, it is very refreshing reading this.
Melissa
Jun 11, 2014 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was really good. Definitely better for non-beginning photographers which is such a nice change. Great tips, advice and technique.
Terry
Aug 17, 2014 Terry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Everything has an essence, but to find it you'll need to open your mind and throw out your need to be literal"
--Brenda Tharp, Author
Kate
Oct 27, 2013 Kate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: photography
3 1/2 stars. This book is quite good, if a bit basic. But I did find her chapter on composition had some excellent tips.
Garth Bishop

Really great book about the softer skills of photography. Wish my library had the updated version.
Qua Veda
Good overview of basic concepts for "seeing" compelling images.
Susinok
Mar 14, 2014 Susinok rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: photography
Very nice. Lots of good ideas and techniques.
Nicolae Doca
Nicolae Doca rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2016
Elizabeth Barter
Elizabeth Barter marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Jon Schulman
Jon Schulman rated it liked it
Jul 17, 2016
Hilario Arellano Jr.
Hilario Arellano Jr. marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
David Ferguson
David Ferguson marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
Diann L'roy
Diann L'roy rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2016
Rick
Rick added it
Jul 09, 2016
Steve Onnen
Steve Onnen is currently reading it
Jul 08, 2016
Antonio
Antonio marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2016
Teguh Widodo
Teguh Widodo rated it it was amazing
Jun 29, 2016
Oluwasanu Aoluwasegun
Oluwasanu Aoluwasegun marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Benji Vesterby
Benji Vesterby marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
Ellie
Ellie marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Brad
Brad marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Suman Das
Suman Das marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
Jose Manuel Guijarro
Jose Manuel Guijarro rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2016
  • John Shaw's Nature Photography Field Guide
  • Digital Wedding Photography: Capturing Beautiful Memories
  • Understanding Close-Up Photography: Creative Close Encounters with Or Without a Macro Lens
  • Within the Frame: The Journey of Photographic Vision
  • The Art of Photography: An Approach to Personal Expression
  • The Hot Shoe Diaries: Big Light from Small Flashes (Voices That Matter)
  • Complete Digital Photography (Graphics Series)
  • Travel Photography: A Guide to Taking Better Pictures
  • Galen Rowell's Inner Game of Outdoor Photography
  • The Complete Guide to Night and Low-Light Photography
  • Night Photography: Finding Your Way In The Dark
  • Best Business Practices for Photographers
  • Fundamentals of Photography: The Essential Handbook for Both Digital and Film Cameras
  • The Ansel Adams Guide: Basic Techniques of Photography, Book 1 (Ansel Adams Guide to the Basic Techniques of Photography, #1)
  • On-Camera Flash Techniques for Digital Wedding and Portrait Photography

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »