Start by marking “Hoops” as Want to Read:
Hoops

Hoops

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  37 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Poetry comes alive on the basketball court. Feel the rough roundness of the ball. Celebrate the soaring freedom of the dunk. Savor the moment when all eyes focus on the long three-pointer.
In dynamic words and pictures, award-winning author Robert Burleigh and Caldecott Honor-artist Stephen T. Johnson capture the energy and passion that electrifies every moment in a game o
Published October 1st 2001 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published October 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Hoops, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hoops

Yael
Mar 17, 2011 Yael rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: poetry
Hoops is a great picture book that is written in poetry form. The first thing that pops out are the beautiful pictures and bright colors. The words are surrounded by black boxes and are scattered throughout the pages in different places. Robert Burleigh, the author, came to speak at my school this year and it was kind of funny to think of him writing this book. I found the words to have so much passion and insight about being one with a basketball that it surprises me that those ideas came from ...more
Kiri
I'm not that into basketball but this book was great. Very poetic and the illustrations are beautiful. Definitely a good book to read aloud to students to introduce poetry and literary devices such as alliterations and figurative language.

"The feathery fingertip roll
and soft slow drop.
Feel the throat on fire.
Feel the asphalt burning beneath your shoes.
The two-of-you rhythm.
The know-where-everyone-is without having to look."
Janelle
Jun 27, 2008 Janelle rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: athletes, basketball players and fans
Shelves: children-s-books
I like Robert Burleigh's poetry in set in motion to Stephen Johnson's illustrations. I preferred "Hoops" to his soccer story "Goal." The colors, words and flow of the story appealed to me more.

Despite the fact that it's a quick book to read, it's really geared more at older kids, those that know a bit about the sport, because it uses technical terms.
7lexj
the book hoops is a very good .. i really like this book because of the sport its about ...baskitball ... the first 10 pages i have been reading have been about this kid growing up and becoming lazy witch notifes that its ganna be a long story about the change in feelings about this sport and how life can effict you playing a sport ...
Shaquil
Nov 26, 2008 Shaquil rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Your dad and your grandma
Recommended to Shaquil by: Your dad and your grandme
The book Hoops is about a kid and his friend loves basketball. Then one of the kids mom hurt her leg. The kid is forced to stop playing basketball and take care of his mom and a scout wants him to try out for the NBA. The kid try's to find and excuse to get to out of the house to play basketball with his friends.
Ethan
Hoops by Robert Burleigh is a great and easy read and I recommend this book to people who like basketball and poetry books. This book is about the feelings and sensations when you are playing basketball. I like this book because I can relate to the feelings and sensations because I play basketball.
J
Love this book and the my junior high kids love this book we well. It uses lots of similes, metaphors and personification to describe the game of basketball. Great journel entry for having kids describe their favorite sport using figurative language.
Cynthia
Hoops is a beautifully illustrated book written in poetic form. The pictures are so real that I could picture my 8th grade students playing basketball. Especially since so many of them wrote poems about basketball
Gorgeous pictures of African Americans. All about the beauty and excitement of playing basketball.
A.j. Irvin
This book is pretty tight its like a book about basketball and there looking for a way to go pro
Armando
this is a poem about basketball. It portrays the feelings and movements of the game
Jess
Great book to teach word choice!
Mrs Bond
Basketball poem, large illustrations.
Sophia
Apr 11, 2013 Sophia added it
its awsome
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Cary Roller
Cary Roller marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Amery
Amery marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Dawn Claghorn
Dawn Claghorn marked it as to-read
May 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Over the past 35 years, I have published poems, reviews, essays, many filmstrips and videos, and more than 40 children's picture books.

Born and raised in Chicago, I graduated from DePauw University (Greencastle, Indiana) and later received an MA in humanities from the University of Chicago. I've published books for children since the early 1990s. My books - including numerous unpublished ones! -
More about Robert Burleigh...
Night Flight: Amelia Earhart Crosses the Atlantic Edward Hopper Paints His World The Adventures of Mark Twain by Huckleberry Finn One Giant Leap Zoom! Zoom!: Sounds of Things That Go in the City