Start by marking “Hoops” as Want to Read:
Hoops

Hoops

Poetry comes alive on the basketball court. Feel the rough roundness of the ball. Celebrate the soaring freedom of the dunk. Savor the moment when all eyes focus on the long three-pointer.
In dynamic words and pictures, award-winning author Robert Burleigh and Caldecott Honor-artist Stephen T. Johnson capture the energy and passion that electrifies every moment in a game o
Published October 1st 2001 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published October 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Hoops, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hoops

Stephanie Douglass
Jun 15, 2016 Stephanie Douglass rated it it was amazing
It all started with a chair, a basketball, and 2 teams. Our number was called and our goal was to score a basket, dribble back to the chair, and sit down in order to earn a point for our team. It was middle school PE that this game occurred during and when I began my love for the game. It was fast-paced, heart pumping, and exciting. I was in my zone from when my number was called till I sat back down. My peers on the sideline did not matter; they weren’t there. I had one goal, and that was to sc ...more
Yael
Mar 16, 2011 Yael rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Hoops is a great picture book that is written in poetry form. The first thing that pops out are the beautiful pictures and bright colors. The words are surrounded by black boxes and are scattered throughout the pages in different places. Robert Burleigh, the author, came to speak at my school this year and it was kind of funny to think of him writing this book. I found the words to have so much passion and insight about being one with a basketball that it surprises me that those ideas came from ...more
Andrea
Apr 13, 2016 Andrea rated it really liked it

Burleigh, Robert. Hoops. Turtleback Books, 2001.

This book describes the poetic text of basketball. Each page has a vivid illustration that compliments the one sentence that helps you understand the drama and victory of the game. This book truly is an involving experience that allows you to feel the motion of basketball, as well as, the moment of teamwork, friendship and dedication. Although I am not a basketball player, I felt like I was a player while reading this book of poetry and rhythm for
Kiri
Mar 01, 2014 Kiri rated it it was amazing
I'm not that into basketball but this book was great. Very poetic and the illustrations are beautiful. Definitely a good book to read aloud to students to introduce poetry and literary devices such as alliterations and figurative language.

"The feathery fingertip roll
and soft slow drop.
Feel the throat on fire.
Feel the asphalt burning beneath your shoes.
The two-of-you rhythm.
The know-where-everyone-is without having to look."
7lexj
Oct 12, 2011 7lexj rated it it was amazing
the book hoops is a very good .. i really like this book because of the sport its about ...baskitball ... the first 10 pages i have been reading have been about this kid growing up and becoming lazy witch notifes that its ganna be a long story about the change in feelings about this sport and how life can effict you playing a sport ...
Shaquil
Nov 26, 2008 Shaquil rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Your dad and your grandma
Recommended to Shaquil by: Your dad and your grandme
The book Hoops is about a kid and his friend loves basketball. Then one of the kids mom hurt her leg. The kid is forced to stop playing basketball and take care of his mom and a scout wants him to try out for the NBA. The kid try's to find and excuse to get to out of the house to play basketball with his friends.
Ethan
Oct 22, 2013 Ethan rated it really liked it
Hoops by Robert Burleigh is a great and easy read and I recommend this book to people who like basketball and poetry books. This book is about the feelings and sensations when you are playing basketball. I like this book because I can relate to the feelings and sensations because I play basketball.
Janelle
Jun 27, 2008 Janelle rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: athletes, basketball players and fans
Shelves: children-s-books
I like Robert Burleigh's poetry in set in motion to Stephen Johnson's illustrations. I preferred "Hoops" to his soccer story "Goal." The colors, words and flow of the story appealed to me more.

Despite the fact that it's a quick book to read, it's really geared more at older kids, those that know a bit about the sport, because it uses technical terms.
Cynthia
Oct 22, 2008 Cynthia rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Hoops is a beautifully illustrated book written in poetic form. The pictures are so real that I could picture my 8th grade students playing basketball. Especially since so many of them wrote poems about basketball
J
Sep 15, 2011 J rated it it was amazing
Love this book and the my junior high kids love this book we well. It uses lots of similes, metaphors and personification to describe the game of basketball. Great journel entry for having kids describe their favorite sport using figurative language.
Yossi Gremillion
Jul 07, 2015 Yossi Gremillion rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-poetry
Great way to introduce boys, particularly reluctant readers, to poetry. Kudos to Johnson's fine illustrations.
Jess
Nov 07, 2009 Jess rated it it was amazing
Great book to teach word choice!
Garren
Basketball poem with great rhythm.
A.j. Irvin
Oct 15, 2012 A.j. Irvin rated it really liked it
This book is pretty tight its like a book about basketball and there looking for a way to go pro
Karol
May 29, 2016 Karol rated it it was amazing
A great way to introduce and inspire poetry to the athletic minded. Moving illustrations and beautiful writing can reach out and grab anyone's attention and make them feel the passion in Hoops.
Aug 01, 2011 Laura rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous pictures of African Americans. All about the beauty and excitement of playing basketball.
Steve Rush
You will like this book if you like basketball. The book is a poem form and teaches a little bit about the game and its rules.
Armando
Aug 22, 2009 Armando rated it really liked it
this is a poem about basketball. It portrays the feelings and movements of the game
Lorrie
Lorrie rated it it was ok
Mar 17, 2015
Mrs. Bond
Mrs. Bond rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2011
Sophia
Apr 11, 2013 Sophia added it
its awsome
Judson Library
Judson Library rated it it was ok
Mar 17, 2015
Abigail
Abigail rated it it was amazing
Dec 19, 2007
Tiffany Smith
Tiffany Smith rated it liked it
Dec 15, 2015
Cheryl
Cheryl rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2014
Yoel
Yoel rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2011
Cherie
Cherie rated it liked it
Jun 11, 2015
JLB
JLB rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2008
Sonia Allison
Sonia Allison rated it it was amazing
Mar 10, 2016
Brooke
Brooke rated it liked it
Sep 11, 2011
Over the past 35 years, I have published poems, reviews, essays, many filmstrips and videos, and more than 40 children's picture books.

Born and raised in Chicago, I graduated from DePauw University (Greencastle, Indiana) and later received an MA in humanities from the University of Chicago. I've published books for children since the early 1990s. My books - including numerous unpublished ones! -
More about Robert Burleigh...