Start by marking “Be Quiet, Mike!” as Want to Read:
Be Quiet, Mike!

Be Quiet, Mike!

Digga-digga-digga-digga, zat, zoom, crash! Leslie Patricelli's lovable (but noisy!) new character finds an ingenious way to create a sound all his own.

Even before he was born, Mike started drumming. Kick! Thump! Pow! Wherever he goes, his rhythms sing: swis, thak, go his books; bang, clank, goes the trash can; tap, tap, go his pencils; and "BE QUIET, MIKE!" yells everyone
Published August 23rd 2011 by Candlewick Press (first published August 9th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Be Quiet, Mike!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Be Quiet, Mike!

The Library Lady
Sep 23, 2011 The Library Lady rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I am going to be kind about this book because for one thing I've liked Patricelli's other books and for another my daughter's companion Fred the Sock Monkey will jump up and down on me tonight if I slang it too much. And it's a cute idea for a story with great pictures.

None the less, I don't think the rhyming pattern here is terribly good. I know that people have said otherwise, but as someone who has a pretty good sense of rhythm (the one thing that keeps me from being a totally awful ballerina
Danica Midlil
Not exactly sure why I didn't like this rhythm book. It was just kind of, "Eh."
Polly
Oct 27, 2011 Polly rated it it was ok
Cute idea, but I'm not big on the execution.
Elizabeth
Aug 09, 2016 Elizabeth rated it it was ok
The pictures were cute, but the rhymes were really awkward.
Jenny
Nov 19, 2011 Jenny rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Disappointing. I really love Leslie Patricelli's work but this was not as good as her other books.
Tracy Morton
Nov 24, 2016 Tracy Morton rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is so cute. Children will get a kick out of Mike getting in trouble. There is an opportunity for the children to participate when you yell be quiet mike. I am using it for a music storytime.
MAYA VANTRECE
Sep 28, 2016 MAYA VANTRECE rated it really liked it
Shelves: el-23o, el230-a
Be Quiet, Mike! Was an enjoyable book. During the book, Mike was always told how quiet he needed to be. At the end of the book, Mike created distinct sounds that made his family tell him to play louder. I like that Mike started off frustrated because he couldn't make the sounds he wanted, then he found sounds that made him unique and were enjoyable to listen too.
Lisa Mckay
Oct 17, 2012 Lisa Mckay rated it it was amazing
Mike is a monkey who loves music! Ever since Mike was young, people would reprimanded him for tapping and making music everywhere he went. Mike used his sister's dolls as a drum set and tapped pencils on his desk at school. That is until Mike was walking home one day with his father and saw a real life drum set in the window of a store. From that day on, Mike could not think about anything else. He wanted one so bad, but he knew that he could not afford it. That is when Mike began to brainstorm. ...more
Jane G Meyer
Feb 02, 2012 Jane G Meyer rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books

For those kids who are loud, who just can't stop making music wherever they go. Especially for potential drummers. But even more for those parents who have loud children and keep telling them to be quiet. I have a fairly loud and boisterous child myself :)

A quiet child may also appreciate this text, and be inspired to make a bit more noise once in a while.

The text rhymes, and moves quickly from page to page. The illustrations are bold and kind of loud and obnoxious, matching the theme of the bo
Chinasa Izeogu
In this book, you will find, a monkey named Mike who slammed in time. On tables, on cans, in class, in shorts, he couldn't get enough of banging out chords.

One day as he was jamming he stumbled upon a drum set that was played by none other: an ape. All his life he'd been told to pipe down, but one look at the kit, the player turned that all around.

Kids of the musical, loud type will relate to noisy Mike in this rhyming tale and full color pages of paint on canvas. The vibrant and real scenes ou
Bryn
Apr 02, 2014 Bryn rated it really liked it
I loved this book! It's got great rhythm (it would be ironic if it didn't) and it hits that sweet spot of not too much text and good artwork that can be surprisingly difficult to find. Love the music element and especially that this one expands on the basic morals of all children's books - I'm a little sick of the I love you and be kind to others themes. I love that this one is about being creative with what you've got around you, especially when you can't afford what you want. Just went on my ...more
Karen's Books Beside My Bed
Be Quiet, Mike! is a book about a little monkey who cannot stop making a beat. A rattle, table, or pencil can help him make the noises that resonate within him. However, those around him constantly yell "be quiet, Mike!" He think he is not destined to hear the music when he see someone playing the drums. Mike is determined to build his own drum set and finally finds a way to compose his music! The pictures are simplistic but conveys Mike need for music. Told in rhyme and great for any family ...more
Caryn Caldwell
Mike likes to drum on everything. All day long the people in his life tell him, "Be quiet, Mike!", but he simply can't stop. When he sees a drum set in a music store he longs for one of his own. Since he can't buy it, he makes one instead.

This book is a delight to read aloud, as Patricelli's rhythms trip off the tongue. Would be perfect for that active little boy who likes to drum on everything or who enjoys building. Would also make a good lesson in word choice and onomatopoeia.
Christina
Aug 09, 2013 Christina rated it it was amazing
Sometimes you go to the library without any luck. This last time we came home with some good treasures, and this was one of them.

What I particularly like about this book is that Mike sees something he wants, or rather "needs" in the store but he know he can't buy it. So, he goes home, makes a plan, and whips up his own home made contraption that suits him perfectly. Nice initiative, Mike!
Tricia
Oct 08, 2011 Tricia rated it liked it
Mike the monkey has rhythm and constantly hears "be quiet mike!" One day he sees a drum set and has a dream. Great for musical or monkey storytime themes...love the problem-solving aspect of the story. Personally, I wouldn't go on the low end of the age range for this title as I thought it would work better with 4s and up.
Tori
Sep 04, 2013 Tori rated it really liked it
This book is about a cute little monkey who can’t stop making noise and pounding on things. Since the day he was born he was always making some kind of noise. Then one day he decided to build a drum set because he can’t afford the one he sees at the music store. In the end, everyone loves the music he makes. I love the rhyming in this book because it makes it a lot more fun to read.
Mary
This is a great interactive book for ECE level read alouds! The story has a rhythm and a beat throughout that echoes the concept of the main character enjoying to drum. The beat is steady, so children can clap along with the story, and the repetition of the phrase "Be quiet, Mike!" is helpful for building print motivation. Lots of fun!
Debra
Jun 02, 2016 Debra added it
Be Quiet Mike! is a great children's book to use when teaching children that they can solve a problem for themselves.

Mike loves, loves, drumming! Yet, has a problem. He wants a new "full-size jamming drum set", but he has no money to buy one. He figures out how to make his own and gets the approval of his family to boot!
Stefani
Aug 30, 2011 Stefani rated it really liked it
I loooooved the rhythm to the book. Without realizing it, I was rapping! (And my rhythm is awful, so I enjoyed it!) I loved the storyline about channeling your natural talents into something fun. The illustrations were adorable, and I appreciated the recurring "Be Quet, Mike!" being it's own page. I've already started planning a storytime JUST to use this book!
Heather
Dec 04, 2011 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: from-library
30 months - We have always enjoyed this author's bold illustrations with just a few words. O liked this one with it's different instruments. She loves to make her own music and stomp around saying she's making a beat. She will be thrilled in a couple weeks when she will have her very own drum to be making music.
Dee-Ann
Mar 13, 2016 Dee-Ann rated it really liked it
This book is easy and fun to read out loud, especially as it rhymes. Simple bright pictures and is of interest to my musical and noisy boys. I read this to my autistic son and he liked the repetitive 'Be quiet Mike!'.
M Lee
Sep 21, 2015 M Lee rated it it was amazing
Mike is a monkey who likes to drum ever since he was (not even) born. Despite everyone's protest, he continues to drum with anything he can get hold on. After he improvised a drum set, his family finally appreciate his talent. A really fun and lovely story.
Monica
Apr 14, 2012 Monica rated it really liked it
Good rhyming fun for preschool storytime. Monkey Mike plays a beat wherever he goes and hears the same refrain, "Be Quiet, Mike!" until he finally wins over his family. I like the the labels in the front naming the different parts of a drum set.
Shelby Rose Rogers
Dec 06, 2012 Shelby Rose Rogers rated it it was amazing
Mike is a very loud and noisy monkey who loves to create beats and rythms on anything he can get his hands on! The pictures in this book are adorable, colorful, and captivating for young readers. I would use this as a book share and in the classroom library.
Vicki
Sep 17, 2013 Vicki rated it really liked it
The title of this book is a repeating phrase that you can teach your preschool group to join in with during this book. Nice illustrations with a DIY message for the young ones.
Paula
Monkey Mike is reprimanded for making noise when he taps pencils and clangs trash cans until he sees a drum set in the music store and puts his hands-on talents to work in a most impressive way.
Katie
Jan 23, 2014 Katie rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
My 3 year old daughter loved this one. I read it at least twice a day until I sneakily returned it to the library. She's still asking for it though...
Andrea Estelle
Sep 20, 2011 Andrea Estelle rated it it was amazing
Boys liked this one. Great pictures, fun beat, fun to read. Micah loves anything musical so it was a hit.
April
Sep 29, 2011 April rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture_books
I love Patricelli's books, especially her crayony, vibrant illustrations. Another gem and a good (rhyming) one for storytime!
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Sep 17, 2011 Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy) rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Mike loves drumming on anything and everything. But not everyone enjoys his drumming until one day something happens. cute story.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Farmyard Beat
  • If You're Hoppy
  • Squeak, Rumble, Whomp! Whomp! Whomp!: A Sonic Adventure
  • Stop Snoring, Bernard!
  • Jazz Baby
  • Is Everyone Ready for Fun?
  • Huck Runs Amuck!
  • Book! Book! Book!
  • This Little Piggy
  • Hilda Must Be Dancing
  • Road Work Ahead
Leslie Patricelli is the American writer of the books Blankie and Big Little. Leslie Patricelli grew up in Seattle, Washington close to Pine Lake. At college, Leslie Patricelli majored in Communications at the University of Washington. She became an advertising copywriter after college then became a ski instructor in Italy. Leslie Patricelli is also an illustrator for children. She created and ...more
More about Leslie Patricelli...