Start by marking “Love and War” as Want to Read:
Love and War

Love and War (Dragonlance: Tales I #3)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  6,076 ratings  ·  22 reviews
The legend of Raistlin's daughter!

A strange story that cannot be confirmed, yet it is whispered among the elves of Silvanesti, gossiped about by the kender of Krynn, and told here for the first time by Caramon, the enigmatic mage's surviving twin.

A wondrous new novella journeying into secrets of the heart and rumors about the past that have bearing on the future of Krynn.

P
Published 1988 by Penguin (first published October 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Love and War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love and War

Tim
The 3rd book in the Tales series and so far, imho, the best. Or least bad, however you see it. The focus lies on love and war, be that war as we know it or struggling with feelings or being trapped in a dangerous situation. Love prevails, be that love from a lover, friends, and so on. Several decent stories, though overall nothing extraordinary. There's stuff about dragons, stags, and even the Companions are featured (Goldmoon, Riverwind, Tasslehoff, Laurana, Raistlin, Caramon, ...). Yes, Raistl ...more
Denis Vukosav
"Love and War" is third in a series of DragonLance Tales, the short stories collection that is taking place in magical land of Krynn and describes adventures and lives of characters introduced in two previously published DragonLance trilogies.

Although the DragonLance Legends and Chronicles are remaining the most quality made books considering their literary value, the DragonLance Tales besides made by same authors, are also full of exciting adventures and humorous stories interesting to read.

For
Erik
This is a compilation of short stories set in the Dragonlance setting and is the third of the series known as Dragonlance: Tales, the series was later names Dragonlance: Tales I after a second trilogy of books named Dragonlance: Tales II came out. These books were released following the success of Dragonlance: Chronicles and Dragonlance: Legends I suspect at the time the hunger from fans of the series warranted TSR who owned the copyright at the time to come out with something quick to appease t ...more
Jasmyn
4. Love and War edited by Margaret Weis
Genre: Fantasy
Pages: 365
Acquired: Prior to 1999
Book of Your Shelf? Yes
Why I have/read it: Part of DragonLance world (rereading all), Third in a series, January 2011 TIOLI
Series: DragonLance, Tales #3

A book of short stories about...you guessed it....love and war, and occasionally both at the same time. Most of the stories were entertaining and a few were quite nice to read.

I would not recommend this book/series as a place to start if you have not read any ot
Ash
**Duplicate comment for Dragonlance Series 1-9**

Ah Raistlin Majere, how could you not like a guy with his own private library of leather-bound books?. . .oh yeah, there was that ruthless pursuit of power thing. Loved this series when I was a kid! My presiding memory of these was one of being encapsulated completely by them and the blanket I wrapped myself in, while on the couch, feigning fever, so I could skip school and read on bitter winter days.
Kathryn
I don't remember much about this book; it may have been one of the few that I rented from they library, intead of owning. "A Painter's Vision" is fun, which is odd to say about something that's basically a tragic story, but I like the character of the fasion-obsessed dragon. I think I mostly loved this book for the beautiful cover art from "Raistlin's Daughter", even if I think the female character *may* have been a Mary Sue. **spoilers* Nothing too obnoxious, just a perfectly beautiful, fragile ...more
East Bay J
Ugh. Love. Not love, surely? *groan*

I kid, I kid. The third volume in the Dragonlance Tales trilogy is as good as the first two. The strength of this series is that the writers selected to contribute stories are all above average writers. This is not hack writing, full of tired cliches and boring plots. Each of these stories is well written and engaging. Berberick is still my standout favorite and even the difficult Michael Williams contributes a very powerful story about the horrors of war.
David
Taken as a just a collection of short stories set in the Dragonlance setting, they are all good reads, ranging from ok to very well-written. The last story targeting Raistlin's past yet again was somewhat strange. Yes, it was well-written but didn't seem to jive well with what's in Chronicles and Legends. It felt more like plain-old marketing to make the book sell better by using Raistlin's name.
Greyflank
NOTHING MUCH TO WRITE HOME ABOUT.
Philana Walker
These stories touch vaious aspects of our fascination with Krynn. We learn more about characters who influence the lives of the people directly and see a more "human" side of them. Imagine companions sitting around a fire exchanging tales of those who have touched their lives and you'll get a pretty good idea of how to appreciate Love and War.
Sean Alexander Jackson
I pulled this book, like so many other dragon lance novels, off my brother's shelf and was really only interested in the story with Raistlin's name in it. He was otherwise absent from the story if memory serves, but I still enjoyed it. I tried the other stories and couldn't get into them after a few pages. I was young.
Don
Like the title suggests, these short stories merge the tales of love between heroes against the back drop of the war of the lance. Excellent reading, really enjoyed this book just like the other two in this series. I have a feeling the Tales II trilogy might not be too far off in my future.
Sara
I was not impressed by this series of short stories from the world of Dragonlance, although their might be one redeeming tale the rest make it not worth the value to buy. If you want to read them try your local library.
Angela
One of the better collections of Dragon Lance short stories. I especially liked "Raistlin's Daughter" -- but there are several good ones in this collection. I read this, a long time ago.
Alexander Faria
Este si estuvo pasable. Me gustaron algunas historias, pero sin embargo no supera a ninguno de la primera trilogia.
Tara Calaby
Four stars for the general content of the book. Zero stars for the "Raistlin's Daughter" Novella-o'-Mary-Sue.
Andrew Uys
As a young teen I tried to read everything published under the Deagonlance banner!
Jeannie Lee
Raistlin's Daughter! Need I say more?
Manny
Good solid tales in a world that I love
H. Gibson
Chronicles of Han Storm Book Club Read
Mertan
It has some good moments XD
Kaitlin
Kaitlin marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
S
S added it
Jun 30, 2015
Monette Harris
Monette Harris marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
  • Kendermore (Dragonlance: Preludes, #2)
  • Stormblade (Dragonlance: Heroes, #2)
  • Before the Mask (Dragonlance: Villains, #1)
  • Emperor of Ansalon (Dragonlance: Villains, #3)
  • Darkness and Light (Dragonlance: Preludes, #1)
  • The Gates of Thorbardin (Dragonlance: Heroes, #5) (Heroes II, #2)
  • Kaz the Minotaur (Dragonlance: Heroes, #4; Heroes II, #1)
  • Dark Heart (Dragonlance: Meetings Sextet, #3)
  • Lord Toede (Dragonlance: Villains, #5)
Fantasy novelist who, along with Tracy Hickman, was one of the original creators of the Dragonlance game world. I've written numerous novels and short stories set in the world of Krynn, as well as series in other, original worlds. These include: Darksword, Rose of the Prophet, Star of the Guardians, DeathGate, Dragonvarld, Sovereign Stone, Dragonships, and the Dragon Brigade. I also wrote two para ...more
More about Margaret Weis...

Dragonlance: Tales I (3 books)
  • The Magic of Krynn (DragonLance: Tales I, #1)
  • Kender, Gully Dwarves, and Gnomes (Dragonlance: Tales I, #2)
Dragons of Autumn Twilight  (Dragonlance: Chronicles, #1) Dragons of Spring Dawning (Dragonlance: Chronicles, #3) Dragons of Winter Night (Dragonlance: Chronicles, #2) Time of the Twins (Dragonlance: Legends, #1) War of the Twins (Dragonlance: Legends, #2)