Start by marking “Soft And Others: 16 Stories Of Wonder And Dread” as Want to Read:
Soft And Others: 16 Stories Of Wonder And Dread

Soft And Others: 16 Stories Of Wonder And Dread

Presents a collection of horror short stories, among them Soft, Green Winter, and The Cleaning Machine.
Mass Market Paperback, First Mass Market Printing, 306 pages
Published July 1st 1990 by TOR Books (first published May 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Soft And Others, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Soft And Others

On the whole, this was a pleasant bag of literary trail mix with enough tasty morsels to make the overall experience a satisfying one.

Being a real fan of a number of F. Paul Wilson's novels, especially the LaNague Federation and Repairman Jack series, I was excited to finally read this collection of his short fiction. I’m glad I did because there are a few “must read” gems lurking within these pages. While the quality of the stories was a tad uneven, I have come to expect this from short story
Jan 25, 2015 Shawn rated it it was ok
Read 5 stories from this as I work my way through the "W" section of my "stories to be read" list. I know Wilson's name from THE KEEP (which I've never read) and his "Repairman Jack" character (ditto). A look at my records tells me that I've not really liked many things by him I've read - not hated anything either, but only 2 stories out of 12 I've read really did anything for me (one, recently in The Ultimate Frankenstein and one a long time ago in Razored Saddles).

Reading these 5 give me the i
Althea Ann
Sep 28, 2013 Althea Ann rated it it was ok
A collection of short stories by Wilson - a new author for me. Most of the stories were horror, many with a sci-fi bent.
The book was a quick read, but I didn't like it enough to go out and look for anything else by the author. The writing is competent, in a mainstream-fiction sort of way, and there are a few good ideas, but nothing really out of the ordinary. (And a few things that I disagreed with, philosophically.)

The stories are:
The Cleaning Machine - A schizophrenic woman explains to the pol
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Meh. Not a keeper. Even in his novel-length work I prefer Wilson's science-fiction rather than his horror--even though it's his horror that's much more popular. (I didn't care for The Keep and preferred his much more obscure The LaNague Chronicles. Half of these 16 stories are old-fashioned horror of the supernatural kind. Half are science fiction. (Although quite a few of those have a horror flavor.) Wilson doesn't give Stephen King or Isaac Asimov a run for their money. I can't say I find any ...more
Scott Hajek
Apr 17, 2012 Scott Hajek rated it it was amazing
This is the book that started it all for me. Random stop at a random used bookstore and it just called out to me. Ever since, I've collected all that FPW has put out there.

As a short story collection, this one just sings. Each story is a different tune, with a strong rhythm. Never misses a beat.

FPW has a natural style that takes no effort to get into and flow along with his stories.

Highly recommended!!!
Mar 04, 2012 Eric rated it really liked it
This is a fine collection of short stories from one of the finest genre writers around today. These stories were from earlier in his career, before Repairman Jack, and still at the beginning of the Adversary Cycle. They're all well-written and fun to read, with a few surprises, such as a pro-life Halloween horror story (never thought I'd see that combination, but, IMHO, it works well). If you like dark short fiction with the occassional science fiction tale, then this is for you.
Jun 16, 2013 Shawn rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
A very good collection of horror stories from a master. Traps, cuts, Soft and Dat Vat tao are the strongest of the stories but really they are all very good. I recommend this collection to anyone who likes the horror short story. These are great. A Must read for F. Paul Wilson fans.
Tanvir Muntasim
Aug 11, 2013 Tanvir Muntasim rated it liked it
A mixed bunch of stories tracking Wilson's beginning and growth as a short story writer. It was fascinating to see how he matured over the years and honed his skills. Understandably, the earlier stories are weaker and they keep on getting better. Hard to find collection, but worth tracking it down.
Joe  Noir
Feb 19, 2013 Joe Noir rated it it was amazing
Grab this if you can find it. A terrific collection for horror fans. I especially liked "Soft" and "Buckets".
Feb 09, 2016 Marissa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: top-reads
one of the most solid short story collections I've ever read. I picked it up by accident, while searching for a different story (also titled Soft), and inadvertently got hooked on Wilson.
Jan 24, 2014 Robert rated it really liked it
Not a bad choice to take a step away from reading a bunch of "series". Some stories definately show a bit of imagination.
Gregory Pierce
Jun 28, 2011 Gregory Pierce rated it liked it
Had a few good stories and a few bad ones. "Buckets" made me want to never read an F. Paul Wilson book again, and I love his writing. But Menage a Trois was fun.
Mark Masztal
Sep 28, 2012 Mark Masztal rated it it was amazing
This collection has one of my all-time favorite shorts by Wilson, Soft has this Twilight Zone creepy feel that shows how good Doc Wilson is.
Jan 25, 2016 Simon marked it as to-read
Started to read this collection - around the half way point. I plan to get back to this in a few weeks
Scott Grinnell
Scott Grinnell rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2012
Brian Mooney
Brian Mooney rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2014
Carla rated it liked it
Aug 27, 2013
Curtis rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2010
Darren rated it really liked it
Oct 16, 2012
Donna Repsher
Donna Repsher rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2014
Allison rated it it was amazing
Jun 06, 2007
Paul rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2013
Laura rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2012
Andrea Henninger
Andrea Henninger rated it it was amazing
Feb 28, 2016
Eddie rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2014
Karl rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2012
Sam Nerby
Sam Nerby rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2012
Steve Kirshenbaum
Steve Kirshenbaum rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2015
erin olsen
erin olsen rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2015
Bob Burrows
Bob Burrows rated it really liked it
Nov 21, 2014
  • Black Evening
  • The Rising: Selected Scenes from the End of the World
  • The Devil's Day (After Such Knowledge, #2-3)
  • Weird Tales: 32 Unearthed Terrors
  • More Tomorrow: And Other Stories
  • Who Can Replace a Man?
  • Heavy Planet: The Classic Mesklin Stories
  • Borderlands 2
Francis Paul Wilson is an author, born in Jersey City, New Jersey. He writes novels and short stories primarily in the science fiction and horror genres. His debut novel was Healer (1976). Wilson is also a part-time practicing family physician. He made his first sales in 1970 to Analog and continued to write science fiction throughout the seventies. In 1981 he ventured into the horror genre with t ...more
More about F. Paul Wilson...