Start by marking “Beyond Oil: The View from Hubbert's Peak” as Want to Read:
Beyond Oil: The View from Hubbert's Peak

Beyond Oil: The View from Hubbert's Peak

3.42  ·  Rating Details  ·  186 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
"This book explains both why the decline of our most precious fuel is inevitable and how challenging it will be to cope with what comes next."—Richard E. Smalley, University Professor, Rice University, and 1996 Nobel laureate

With world oil production about to peak and inexorably head toward steep decline, what fuels are available to meet rising global energy demands? That
Published June 13th 2006 by Hill and Wang (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Beyond Oil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond Oil

الخنساء
الكتاب يتحدث عن البدائل المقترحة للنفط, اعتمادا على ذروة هابرت والتي تقول بأن عام 2000 هو ذروة انتاج النفط
وبما أننا دخلنا في مرحلة تناقص انتاج النفط العالمي فمن المفترض المسارعة في البحث عن بدائل
أعطاني فكرة أليمة بأن الطاقة المتجددة أو البديلة قد تأخر الوقت في دراستها وتطبيقها وكأنه قد فات أيضا!
لذا هو يطرح المزيد من الأفكار حول مصادر بديلة تلوث البيئة, ويبدو المؤلف بحكم تخصصه في الجيلوجيا في مجال النفط ربما, غير مبال بدرجة كبيرة بمسألة البيئة و سخر منها مرة أو اثنتين
أصحاب القلوب الخضراء الممتلئة
Scott
Jul 23, 2010 Scott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-tech
This is a really enjoyable, but disturbing, book. While some may dispute the analysis presented here, Kenneth Deffeyes does present an excellent accounting of the potential energy resources available after the "easy oil" (easily recoverable, high grade, and useful in our systems) becomes more and more difficult to find. Some of the things predicted in the book (written in 2005) are coming to pass, like unpredictable etc. Deffeyes is an old-school, dirt-under-the-fingers petroleum geologist with ...more
Marc
Oct 22, 2014 Marc rated it liked it
Shelves: politics-usa, energy
A very dry read but extremely informative. The author is a petroleum geologist. He understands the nut n bolts of exploration, discovery and crude oil delivery systems. He was a student of Hubbert who first predicted a peak in production of oil. He also has the knowledge to take on the detractors who muddy the waters by pointing out that Hubbert's original projections were off. He doesn't waste a lot of time with the detractors, as no one else should. Their waggish complaints miss the point. Hub ...more
Andy Gibb
May 20, 2012 Andy Gibb rated it liked it
Written by an oilman, this View from Hubbert's Peak is reluctant to bite the hand that fed him and certainly posits the continued existence of industrial civilisation. That apart, the message is as stark as Climate Wars and The Long Emergency but not Deep Green Resistance.

It's a hard read but not for that reason: the thoughts are haphazard and some are pure non sequiturs. A good editor would have reigned Mr Deffeyes in. A pity because I think I've teased out the essence of Hubbert's Peak, with a
John Kaufmann
May 22, 2015 John Kaufmann rated it liked it
Shelves: energy
Good, but it covers much of the same ground as his previous Hubbert's Peak: The Impending World Oil Shortage. You could go with either. I believe they remain relevant today.
Sean Murray
Jul 17, 2007 Sean Murray rated it liked it
Recommends it for: meh, whoever
So I bought this book thinking it was going to be all about the next clean burning miracle fuel that's lined up to replace oil, and well, turns out there isn't one yet. The book is about how the world basically hit it's peak potential oil output back in 2005-2006, that world oil production is going to steadily decline from here on, and that most current potential oil "alternatives" actually depend on hydrocarbons at one and sometimes multiple stages in their manufacture. It wasn't the book of ho ...more
James Taylor
Jan 24, 2015 James Taylor rated it really liked it
Shelves: economics, college, energy
The concluding chapters on different energy reforms have certainly changed since publication, but it's amazing throughout the rest.
Alexander
Feb 14, 2011 Alexander rated it liked it
Good book. Introduced me to the idea that the world is running out of accessible cheap oil. I really liked the technical aspect of it. The math behind the phenomena reinforced some things I learned in statistics. What I enjoyed the most though was the explanation of the different energy sources available today. The descriptions were somewhat technical but as a budding engineer it was great. It would be hard for someone to pick this up with out a science background.
Amy
May 17, 2007 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: learn-something
A rather boring but informational look at oil as a fuel, the debate about how much is left, the impending switch to a new fuel and the alternatives we should begin to develop. Hey, I had to teach high schoolers about petroleum. And I want to know where we are heading.
Keith Akers
Aug 04, 2008 Keith Akers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This may be a bit technical for many people but is a good general introduction. The best part is his chapter 3, I believe, where he describes roughly the mathematics involved in Hubbert's original thesis. If it's too technical, read "The Party's Over" by Heinberg.
Converse
The author, a Princeton geolgist, describes near-term replacements for what he expects to be the soon & permanent decline in oil production. One chapter per remedy - oil shale, etc.. Not as good as his previous book on why he thinks we will run out of oil soon.
Daniel
Aug 10, 2013 Daniel rated it it was ok
The materials in this book are very outdated and worst still contradict the books direction. The author made a bold statement saying that shale gas was too expensive and would never take off. We all know the contrary happened.
Heather
Aug 27, 2009 Heather rated it really liked it
the chapter on nuclear energy is so amazing. uranium, plutionium, waste, destruction, i get it now. other sections of the book highlight different natural resources from oil to oil shale to hydrogen.
Rebekah
Sep 29, 2008 Rebekah rated it liked it
Recommended to Rebekah by: Nate
I did not finish this book. I am giving it 3-stars because I enjoyed the chapter which derived Hubbard's Equations. Otherwise the book is not well written and I did not find it particularly interesting.
Benjamin
Jan 26, 2008 Benjamin rated it really liked it
Good explanation of currently available oil sources, explains how much longer these will last. Also describes new sources of fuel. Good primer on 'traditional' energy sources.
Gordieplamdesert
Jul 21, 2008 Gordieplamdesert rated it really liked it
A good grounding to understand the energy position we are now in. Where we came from and possible where we are headed. Deffeyes does not provide answers just insight.
Christian
Jun 19, 2011 Christian rated it liked it
Not as valuable as his first book on peak oil. Just a wide ranging discussion of possible alternatives that won't come on line to scale for another 20 years.
Martin Hazine
Dec 29, 2012 Martin Hazine rated it liked it
Very technical in some areas. I feel like I'd need to read it a couple times to really get all the details about oil production in the book.
Alex
Jun 10, 2007 Alex rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: oil
deffeyes does a reasonable job updating the peak oil scenario and surveying the (lack of) alternative energies. better than his first book.
Salem Gharbi
المؤلف يتناول السؤال التالي ...
ماذا أعددنا لما بعد النفط ؟
يحاول الإجابة علية ... و لكن للأسف يحمل نظرة سلبية عن الوضع الحالي

Mary
Mar 19, 2008 Mary rated it liked it
Not awful considering the subject matter can be pretty dry. I appreciated the author's sense of humor. I learned quite a bit.
Gina
Jun 04, 2011 Gina rated it did not like it
Good book for background in geology. Otherwise presents no useful information or plausible solutions.
John
Aug 05, 2008 John rated it liked it
An interesting perspective, especially with the current energy crisis concerns.
Jess
Jan 25, 2009 Jess is currently reading it
So far I am LOVING this book.
Kristy
Dec 31, 2008 Kristy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
interesting....but scary.
Juha
Juha rated it liked it
Feb 01, 2016
Alan Lawrenson
Alan Lawrenson rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2016
LüLü
LüLü marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2016
  • Twilight in the Desert: The Coming Saudi Oil Shock and the World Economy
  • The Party's Over: Oil, War and the Fate of Industrial Societies
  • Out of Gas: The End of the Age of Oil
  • Water: The Epic Struggle for Wealth, Power, and Civilization
  • Crossing the Rubicon: The Decline of the American Empire at the End of the Age of Oil
  • Language of Post-Modern Architecture 6
  • Bankrupting Physics: How Today's Top Scientists are Gambling Away Their Credibility
  • Into the Cool: Energy Flow, Thermodynamics, and Life
  • Prometheus: The Art of the Film
  • Religion in the Making
  • The Limits to Growth: The 30-Year Update
  • Eating Fossil Fuels: Oil, Food and the Coming Crisis in Agriculture
  • Confessions of a Radical Industrialist: How My Company and I Transformed Our Purpose, Sparked Innovation, and Grew Profits - By Respecting the Earth
  • Resource Wars: The New Landscape of Global Conflict
  • Earth: The Sequel: The Race to Reinvent Energy and Stop Global Warming
  • The Long Emergency: Surviving the End of Oil, Climate Change, and Other Converging Catastrophes of the Twenty-First Century
  • C Street: The Fundamentalist Threat to American Democracy
  • Eternal Life: A New Vision: Beyond Religion, Beyond Theism, Beyond Heaven and Hell

“Of course, the methods for human population control are enormously controversial. One contraceptive measure seems to be humane and acceptable: If you teach calculus to teenage girls, they go on to have far fewer babies. Calculus is the contraceptive of the future. It doesn't work for boys.” 0 likes