Start by marking “Beyond Oil: The View from Hubbert's Peak” as Want to Read:
Beyond Oil: The View from Hubbert's Peak

Beyond Oil: The View from Hubbert's Peak

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  174 ratings  ·  25 reviews
"This book explains both why the decline of our most precious fuel is inevitable and how challenging it will be to cope with what comes next."--Richard E. Smalley, University Professor, Rice University, and 1996 Nobel laureate

With world oil production about to peak and inexorably head toward steep decline, what fuels are available to meet rising global energy demands? That
Published June 13th 2006 by Hill and Wang (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Beyond Oil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond Oil

الخنساء
الكتاب يتحدث عن البدائل المقترحة للنفط, اعتمادا على ذروة هابرت والتي تقول بأن عام 2000 هو ذروة انتاج النفط
وبما أننا دخلنا في مرحلة تناقص انتاج النفط العالمي فمن المفترض المسارعة في البحث عن بدائل
أعطاني فكرة أليمة بأن الطاقة المتجددة أو البديلة قد تأخر الوقت في دراستها وتطبيقها وكأنه قد فات أيضا!
لذا هو يطرح المزيد من الأفكار حول مصادر بديلة تلوث البيئة, ويبدو المؤلف بحكم تخصصه في الجيلوجيا في مجال النفط ربما, غير مبال بدرجة كبيرة بمسألة البيئة و سخر منها مرة أو اثنتين
أصحاب القلوب الخضراء الممتلئة
Scott
This is a really enjoyable, but disturbing, book. While some may dispute the analysis presented here, Kenneth Deffeyes does present an excellent accounting of the potential energy resources available after the "easy oil" (easily recoverable, high grade, and useful in our systems) becomes more and more difficult to find. Some of the things predicted in the book (written in 2005) are coming to pass, like unpredictable etc. Deffeyes is an old-school, dirt-under-the-fingers petroleum geologist with ...more
Marc
A very dry read but extremely informative. The author is a petroleum geologist. He understands the nut n bolts of exploration, discovery and crude oil delivery systems. He was a student of Hubbert who first predicted a peak in production of oil. He also has the knowledge to take on the detractors who muddy the waters by pointing out that Hubbert's original projections were off. He doesn't waste a lot of time with the detractors, as no one else should. Their waggish complaints miss the point. Hub ...more
Andy Gibb
Written by an oilman, this View from Hubbert's Peak is reluctant to bite the hand that fed him and certainly posits the continued existence of industrial civilisation. That apart, the message is as stark as Climate Wars and The Long Emergency but not Deep Green Resistance.

It's a hard read but not for that reason: the thoughts are haphazard and some are pure non sequiturs. A good editor would have reigned Mr Deffeyes in. A pity because I think I've teased out the essence of Hubbert's Peak, with a
John Kaufmann
Good, but it covers much of the same ground as his previous Hubbert's Peak: The Impending World Oil Shortage. You could go with either. I believe they remain relevant today.
Sean Murray
Jul 17, 2007 Sean Murray rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: meh, whoever
So I bought this book thinking it was going to be all about the next clean burning miracle fuel that's lined up to replace oil, and well, turns out there isn't one yet. The book is about how the world basically hit it's peak potential oil output back in 2005-2006, that world oil production is going to steadily decline from here on, and that most current potential oil "alternatives" actually depend on hydrocarbons at one and sometimes multiple stages in their manufacture. It wasn't the book of ho ...more
James Taylor
The concluding chapters on different energy reforms have certainly changed since publication, but it's amazing throughout the rest.
Alexander
Good book. Introduced me to the idea that the world is running out of accessible cheap oil. I really liked the technical aspect of it. The math behind the phenomena reinforced some things I learned in statistics. What I enjoyed the most though was the explanation of the different energy sources available today. The descriptions were somewhat technical but as a budding engineer it was great. It would be hard for someone to pick this up with out a science background.
Amy
A rather boring but informational look at oil as a fuel, the debate about how much is left, the impending switch to a new fuel and the alternatives we should begin to develop. Hey, I had to teach high schoolers about petroleum. And I want to know where we are heading.
Keith Akers
This may be a bit technical for many people but is a good general introduction. The best part is his chapter 3, I believe, where he describes roughly the mathematics involved in Hubbert's original thesis. If it's too technical, read "The Party's Over" by Heinberg.
Converse
The author, a Princeton geolgist, describes near-term replacements for what he expects to be the soon & permanent decline in oil production. One chapter per remedy - oil shale, etc.. Not as good as his previous book on why he thinks we will run out of oil soon.
Daniel
The materials in this book are very outdated and worst still contradict the books direction. The author made a bold statement saying that shale gas was too expensive and would never take off. We all know the contrary happened.
Heather
the chapter on nuclear energy is so amazing. uranium, plutionium, waste, destruction, i get it now. other sections of the book highlight different natural resources from oil to oil shale to hydrogen.
Rebekah
Sep 29, 2008 Rebekah rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Rebekah by: Nate
I did not finish this book. I am giving it 3-stars because I enjoyed the chapter which derived Hubbard's Equations. Otherwise the book is not well written and I did not find it particularly interesting.
Benjamin
Good explanation of currently available oil sources, explains how much longer these will last. Also describes new sources of fuel. Good primer on 'traditional' energy sources.
Gordieplamdesert
A good grounding to understand the energy position we are now in. Where we came from and possible where we are headed. Deffeyes does not provide answers just insight.
Christian
Not as valuable as his first book on peak oil. Just a wide ranging discussion of possible alternatives that won't come on line to scale for another 20 years.
Martin Hazine
Very technical in some areas. I feel like I'd need to read it a couple times to really get all the details about oil production in the book.
Alex
deffeyes does a reasonable job updating the peak oil scenario and surveying the (lack of) alternative energies. better than his first book.
Salem Gharbi
المؤلف يتناول السؤال التالي ...
ماذا أعددنا لما بعد النفط ؟
يحاول الإجابة علية ... و لكن للأسف يحمل نظرة سلبية عن الوضع الحالي

Mary
Not awful considering the subject matter can be pretty dry. I appreciated the author's sense of humor. I learned quite a bit.
Gina
Good book for background in geology. Otherwise presents no useful information or plausible solutions.
John
An interesting perspective, especially with the current energy crisis concerns.
Jess
Jan 25, 2009 Jess is currently reading it
So far I am LOVING this book.
Kristy
interesting....but scary.
Lindsey Walker
Lindsey Walker marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
Aruslibintang
Aruslibintang is currently reading it
Jul 06, 2015
Matt Evans
Matt Evans marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Twilight in the Desert: The Coming Saudi Oil Shock and the World Economy
  • The Party's Over: Oil, War and the Fate of Industrial Societies
  • Out of Gas: The End of the Age of Oil
  • Water: The Epic Struggle for Wealth, Power, and Civilization
  • Crossing the Rubicon: The Decline of the American Empire at the End of the Age of Oil
  • Language of Post-Modern Architecture 6
  • Limits to Growth: The 30-Year Update
  • Prometheus: The Art of the Film
  • Confessions of a Radical Industrialist: How My Company and I Transformed Our Purpose, Sparked Innovation, and Grew Profits - By Respecting the Earth
  • Religion in the Making
  • Bankrupting Physics: How Today's Top Scientists are Gambling Away Their Credibility
  • Into the Cool: Energy Flow, Thermodynamics, and Life
  • Earth: The Sequel: The Race to Reinvent Energy and Stop Global Warming
  • Resource Wars: The New Landscape of Global Conflict
  • The Long Emergency: Surviving the End of Oil, Climate Change, and Other Converging Catastrophes of the Twenty-First Century
  • Crude World: The Violent Twilight of Oil
  • Democracy Matters: Winning the Fight Against Imperialism
  • Wallace Stegner and the American West
Hubbert's Peak: The Impending World Oil Shortage When Oil Peaked Nanoscale: Visualizing an Invisible World The Future of Fossil Fuels: From "Hubbert's Peak" (Princeton Shorts)

“Of course, the methods for human population control are enormously controversial. One contraceptive measure seems to be humane and acceptable: If you teach calculus to teenage girls, they go on to have far fewer babies. Calculus is the contraceptive of the future. It doesn't work for boys.” 0 likes