The Gingerbread Girl Goes Animal Crackers

The Gingerbread Girl Goes Animal Crackers

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  154 ratings  ·  36 reviews
She's fast. She's feisty. And she outsmarted that sly fox in her boisterous debut. Now the gingerbread girl is back with a new batch of friends - the animal crackers! They don't want to listen to the Gingerbread Girl's advice, even though she is one smart cookie. But they'd better watch it, or they'll all become treats for that trickster fox. With fun twists on the classic...more
Published October 13th 2011 by Dutton Juvenile

Susan
I do like the rhinoceros rhyme.
Linda
The Gingerbread Girl is celebrating her birthday with her parents. Her brother was the Gingerbread Boy who got eaten by the fox last year. She is delighted when she opens her gift and finds it to be a box of animal crackers, a cookie, just like her. Now, she has some friends like her to play with. But, the animal crackers break free from their box and go wild. They are roaring and running and singing about themselves in the same tempo as the Gingerbread boy's refrain. Although the Gingerbread Gi...more
Janine Abraham
This is a funny book about the Gingerbread Boy's sister. The Gingerbread boy was eaten last year by the bad fox, and the Gingerbread Girl finds herself trying to escape from the fox before he eats her too. Her animal cracker friends escape from their box and she has to help them before the fox eats them too. This is a great book to use for story time. Its a cute spin on the classic Gingerbread Boy story.
Tasha
This second Gingerbread Girl book continues the story of the sister of the Gingerbread Boy who is much more clever than her poor brother. She survived the fox and now has gotten a box of animal cracker pets for her birthday. But before she can warn them about the dangers out in the world, they run off chanting: “We’re wild Animal Crackers, hear our fierce roar. You can’t catch us, we’re off to explore!” Soon enough, the animal crackers have attracted a parade of people and animals chasing after...more
Joanne Zienty
I liked it -- and more importantly, my kindergarten students loved it. The essence of the word "rollicking." Good fun and plenty of opportunity for audience participation. An Illinois State Monarch 2015 award nominee -- a can't miss read aloud full of crunchy goodness!
Angie
Gingerbread Girl gets a box of animal crackers for her birthday. As soon as she opens the boxes the animal crackers go wild and run away singing "We're wild Animal Crackers, Hear our fierce roar. You can't catch us, We're off to explore!" As they run past neighbors, a cat, sheep, kids, chickens and scouts each animal sings its own verse. Then they meet the fox, the same fox who ate Gingerbread Boy. He offers to take them across the river but of course really wants to eat them. They end up gettin...more
Adrienne
The title is awesome and the concept is great, too. It's fun to see the animal crackers on the loose.
Julie Walter
Example of a fractured fairy tale. Could also be paired with an animal cracker snack :).
Stephanie
I had no idea that the Gingerbread Boy had a sister! I wish I had been able to read the first story of the Gingerbread Girl before this one. I loved this story. The Gingerbread Girl looses the animal crackers she gets for her birthday and she saves them from the tricky fox that ate her brother and tried to eat her. The songs the animal crackers sing as they run away are great. They would be good to use to predict which animal is singing since the animal describes a special feature about itself a...more
Christina
This is a cute story that would fit well into a fantasy/fairy tell theme unit. I would use this book for primary students, perhaps 2nd graders. It's the gingerbread girl's birthday, and she receives a box of crazy animal crackers that run all over the place. As she chases them down, many other people and animals want to eat them as a delicious snack; however, they run too fast to be caught until they come across Mr. Fox. The gingerbread girl uses good problem solving skills to save the crackers.
Mandy
It is the Gingerbread Girl's birthday, and the little old man and woman give her a box of animal cracker friends to play with. Her animal friends go wild and run off.

This would be a great read aloud to a Pre-K or kindergarten audience! Have pictures of the animal crackers on cards displayed for the kids to see. When say rhyme on each page, leave the ending a blank so they can guess which animal cracker is being featured. I am hoping to do this as a library lesson near the beginning of the year!
Gwen the Librarian
This variation of the Gingerbread Man has a gingerbread girl, sister of the poor eaten boy, who receives some animal crackers for her birthday. Well, before she can warn them to stay away from the fox by the river, they are on the run, saying, "We're wild Animal Crackers/hear our fierce roar./You can't catch us,/we're off to explore!" Full of very silly rhymes and cute illustrations, this one makes a nice pairing with the traditional tale.
Scarlett
Jul 02, 2012 Scarlett rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Elementary children, librarians, educators
Recommended to Scarlett by: Barnes & Noble
Shelves: childrens-books
Our Kindergarten students hear 'The Gingerbread Man' read by our principal as a guest reader just before Winter Break. I used this book as a librarian to invite my principal back to share another book just before Summer Break and served with animal crackers and lemonade as a special treat. Everyone had a good time and it was a fun way to bring closure to the school year. Recommended for: compare/contrast of the gingerbread books.
Crystie
I didn't like this one as much as I liked the original. The rhymes weren't as well written - some were a bit awkward. Also, in the first book the gingerbread girl supposedly "tamed" the fox using gingerbread crumbs as treats. Why was he bad again in this book?

The idea of using animal crackers was cute, and my students enjoyed that. This book did not hold their interest as well as the first version did, though.
Katie Fitzgerald
This book has a lot of story time possibilities. It would work well with themes like animals, cookies, and even gingerbread during the holiday season. It might also be interesting to compare the wolf in this story to other Big Bad Wolves in other fairy tales and nursery rhymes.

Read my full review on my story time blog: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...
Tyrone Hardy
The gingerbread girl makes her return, and she is trying to keep her friendly animal crackers from being eaten by that sly old fox. This book was great for my kindergartners, as they read several books about gingerbread people, and this was just as exciting as the others. The book has repeated rhyming, thus it keeps the children engaged.
For her birthday, the Gingerbread Girl gets a whole herd of animal crackers. A delightful and fun spin off of the ever popular The Gingerbread Girl. I'm sure that my students will love this one too!
Jolanta
The vocabulary was a bit advanced for little kids and they rhythm of the rhymes was a bit off at times, but overall it's a very funny spin off of the well known "Gingerbread Man". Quite an enjoyable good night read.
Melissa
"my legs move so fast I'm practically flyin'... you can't catch me, I'm the wild cracker lion"

This is a rather long story, but it has short rhyming parts that can be rapped. Throw in some beatboxing at the end of the rap and you're set!
Alissa
This wasn't my favorite book, but my kids loved it and we read it at least 2-3 times a day. It is a spin on the classic Gingerbread Man story with the Gingerbread Girl trying to save the animal crackers from the same fate as her brother.
Matthew
Grrrl power done gingerbread style continues in this follow-up to Campbell Ernst's The Gingerbread Girl. The rhymes are a little forced but not so much that it makes the book a chore to read out loud.
Angelina Justice
I have an Animal Crackers storytime that I'm going to add this book too. It almost feels like they wrote this book just for me. It's lyrical, fun and the artwork/text combo is fantastic.
Amy
This is a really cute follow up story to the Gingerbread Girl. It has great repetition that keeps kids attention.

Genre: Fiction, Traditional Literature
Published:2011
Carol Mcgloshen
Would be good to read after the traditional gingerbread story to help the students compare and contrast the books. I like how it continues the story of the gingerbread boy
Anne
love new versions of old tales
already know and love the original gingerbread girl by Ernst
this version plays with rhyme and repetition and a favorite story
what fun!
Sandybear76
Gingerbread Girl gets a box of animals crackers for her birthday but they escape as she opens the box.
I think it will be a popular choice during the book fairs.
carissa
The Gingerbread Girl, who once escaped the fox that devoured her brother, must now try to save from a similar fate the animal crackers she received as a birthday gift.
Tracy
I haven't read the Gingerbread Girl, but I like this sequel. I at first thought of Jumanji, but it isn't quite that exciting. I love the illustrations.
Shelli
Teachers always love classical story makeovers. This is a fun one to share with a class or with your own child while enjoying an Animal Cracker snack.
Morgan Sallee
Clever version of his classic story, but it didn't thrill me. Probably wouldn't use for storytime. Maybe to booktalk with 1st grade?
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • 11 Experiments That Failed
  • Otis and the Tornado
  • ABC ZooBorns!
  • The Underpants Zoo
  • No Sleep for the Sheep!
  • Once Upon a Royal Superbaby
  • Even Aliens Need Snacks
  • Mr. Duck Means Business
  • You're Finally Here!
  • The 13 Nights of Halloween
  • Let's Sing a Lullaby with the Brave Cowboy
The Gingerbread Girl Little Red Riding Hood: A Newfangled Prairie Tale (Stories to Go!) Stella Louella's Runaway Book The Turn-Around, Upside-Down Alphabet Book Goldilocks Returns