Start by marking “Valhalla (Valhalla #1)” as Want to Read:
Valhalla (Valhalla #1)

Valhalla (Valhalla #1)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  37 ratings  ·  9 reviews

Published April 2011

To ask other readers questions about Valhalla, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Valhalla

Tia Bach
Thanks to my preteen daughter’s fascination with all things mythology, my house was eagerly anticipating the movie, Thor. Finding Ms. Willis' book and learning it was about Thor in modern-day times fit in perfectly.

The story starts with Sally, she’s experimenting with powers she doesn’t fully understand when she meets a real Norse god, Managarm. Unfortunately, he’s out to undermine the other gods and plays on Sally’s naiveté and vulnerability.

Action abounds, but I found myself most drawn to the
Mtnbookworm
Those more versed in Norse knowledge that I am will likely do better keeping the family tree straight. However, the character development and delivery of the tension and action keep the pages turning. Definitely in the cannot-put-down category. I suspect, as the series develops with future books, that we might be seeing the next Marion Zimmer Bradley (for our generation). Except Willis is much funnier. Very excited to read the next book!
mampdx
Now, if only I had an e-reader. Wish it were on paper!
OpenBookSociety.com
Review brought to you by OBS staff member Annabell Cadiz

Synopsis: Sixteen-year-old Sally Dahl is a rare, modern-day Norse Witch with more power than she realizes. Playing sick from school in Portland, she’s casting rune spells during a rare astronomical convergence to bring about a better, happier planet — and hoping her parents don’t find out.

What Sally doesn’t know is that the Norse gods are still around, albeit without their divine powers — Odin is a high school principal, and blustering Thor
Elisabeth
I like the concept. Norse gods roaming the modern world? Moon witch? Yes please! However, it didn't pan out for me. Beyond the minor quibbles, I have two major problems with this book:

One is that it seemed very young. I don't much like teenage protagonists anyway; their problems don't interest me and their ways of dealing with things are (often appropriately) juvenile. Not my cup of tea. But stories of teenagers CAN be well-written, and I just don't feel like this one was. The author seemed as y
Terri Kleinberg
It took me a couple of chapters to really get into this book. I read it two years ago, but wanted to refresh my memory to read the second book in the series so I picked it up again this year. It was a fun romp through the area around Portland, Oregon.

The Norse Gods have chosen to live in Portland to protect the 'tree of life' with interesting consequences. Thor in particular has a hard time fitting into this present day society.

Sally is a young girl who has started practicing Norse Witchery an
Susan
This is a YA story, and I read it to see if I could
recommend it to the girl I tutor in reading. She
loves witch and vampire stories and likes to
know about Greek and Roman gods and goddesses, so this was perfect. It's all about a witch and the Norse gods and it's set in Portland OR. Best of all it has a charming heroine with a sense of humor. I enjoyed it.
Kathleen
I enjoyed reading this, even though it's not my usual cup of tea. I don't have a strong interest in Norse mythology, really. I did enjoy the humor sprinkled throughout the book, especially the idea of Odin as a high school principal. And Thor being unable to hold down a job. :-)
Kath
Great read with Norse God's living among modern society. A little history, and a little excitement... to say the least.
Paolo Caracciolo
Paolo Caracciolo marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Shannon Haddock
Shannon Haddock marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Rachel Mckitterick
Rachel Mckitterick marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Caroline
Caroline marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Wendy  Wilson
Wendy Wilson marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
Paul White
Paul White marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Valerie
Valerie marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Melissa Pierce
Melissa Pierce marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
grammarie
grammarie is currently reading it
Oct 08, 2014
Tori
Tori marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Carrie Bourgeois
Carrie Bourgeois marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Patty Beaty
Patty Beaty marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Elouise
Elouise marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Interview with Jennifer Willis! 1 3 Jun 18, 2011 04:58PM
Author Talk Book ...: Google Books? 2 9 May 06, 2011 10:39AM
Iduna's Apples (Valhalla #2) Rhythm The Black Pool: (Valhalla #3)