Start by marking “Bone Key” as Want to Read:
Bone Key

Bone Key (John Deal #7)

In 1931, a storm passes through the Florida straits, soon followed by a devastating explosion aboard a freighter, The Magdalena. Decades later, John Deal, the brooding real-estate developer and hero of eight previous Standiford mysteries, is traveling to Key West to talk over a prospective project with an old friend of his father's, the wealthy entrepreneur Franklin Stone. ...more
Audiobook, 0 pages
Published February 23rd 2004 by Random House Audio (first published April 15th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Bone Key, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bone Key

MontiLee Stormer
Another book read by one of my favorite narrators, Scott Brick *purrrrr*, downloaded back in December of 2005 when I was drunk with Audible credits. I think some books you just have to be in a frame of mind to listen to, and maybe now is the time for Les Standiford.

3/26/10

I'm three hours (5 hours to go) into this audio book, and I'm afraid I've bailed. I'm finding it to be the driest mystery I've ever read and I just don't care what happens to anyone anymore. I expect more to be happening right
Jennifer H
3.5

This was a fun read - another one of those south Florida macho men solving mysteries down in the Keys kind of books. For me, it was just long enough and had just enough going on to be a good book. The author disclaimed at the beginning that he was going to take literary license with the layout of Key West, and he did - I was glad he said that, otherwise I would have thought I'd completely misremembered the island. =)
David Ward
Bone Key (John Deal #7) by Les Standiford (G.P. Putnam's Sons 2002)(Fiction - Mystery/ Thriller). John Deal tries to solve a mystery where a young black man was killed apparently while in police custody. Nobody will help - and Deal keeps hearing allusions to a seventy year old mystery - and implications that he should know about it. My rating: 6/10, finished 2009.
Sandi
This is a series I have always enjoyed in the past but this particular entry was just so so. I was disapointed that one of my favorite supporting characters did not appear on the page and the current day plot was not really that compelling though I did enjoy the sections on Key West's history.
Marjoladue
Jan 27, 2014 Marjoladue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very entertaining. Obviously written a while ago. The scenes in Key West were from the past and fun to read about. A good plot.
Meredith
dream sequences didn't make any sense as this was the first novel of his I read. Kind of throws the reader off. It picked up toward the end and the pieces got tied up into a neat little bow.
Patt
Jul 08, 2013 Patt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-suspense
Listened to this one in the car. We both enjoyed it, fast moving and suspenseful. We both guessed wrong on the identity of the criminal!
Pabloslist
70 yrs after freighter goes down in FL Keys with 300 cs of Chateau Brian , single bottle sparks torture, piracy, murder
Tom
Nov 03, 2012 Tom rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
William Gibson
William Gibson rated it liked it
Mar 06, 2011
Marylou Hess
Marylou Hess rated it it was amazing
Mar 08, 2015
M.migliore
M.migliore rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2014
Kenneth
Kenneth rated it liked it
Feb 26, 2013
JL DeBolt
JL DeBolt rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2015
Kathy Colgan
Kathy Colgan rated it liked it
Aug 16, 2014
Divotdigger
Divotdigger rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2008
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2009
Cathy DuPont
Cathy DuPont rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2011
Charlie
Charlie rated it it was ok
Jun 17, 2012
Nc Papa
Nc Papa rated it it was ok
Jan 08, 2014
Lynn
Lynn rated it liked it
Jun 13, 2007
Althea Toledo
Althea Toledo rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2012
Shonas
Shonas rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2010
Linda
Linda rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2008
Kevin Parsons
Kevin Parsons rated it liked it
Nov 22, 2013
Eva
Eva rated it liked it
Apr 25, 2012
David Hayes
David Hayes rated it liked it
Feb 09, 2012
Terry
Terry rated it it was ok
Oct 07, 2012
Cyber
Cyber rated it it was amazing
Dec 18, 2014
Cheryl Carver
Cheryl Carver rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Les Standiford is a historian and author and has since 1985 been the Director of the Florida International University Creative Writing Program. Standiford has been awarded the Frank O'Connor Award for Short Fiction, a Florida Individual Artist Fellowship in Fiction, and a National Endowment for the Arts Fellowship in Fiction, and belongs to the Associated Writing Programs, Mystery Writers of Ameri ...more
More about Les Standiford...

John Deal (8 books)
  • Done Deal (John Deal #1)
  • Raw Deal (John Deal #2)
  • Deal to Die For (John Deal #3)
  • Deal on Ice (John Deal #4)
  • Presidential Deal (John Deal #5)
  • Deal with the Dead (John Deal #6)
  • Havana Run (John Deal #8)