Start by marking “Running with Champions: A Midlife Journey on the Iditarod Trail” as Want to Read:
Running with Champions: A Midlife Journey on the Iditarod Trail

Running with Champions: A Midlife Journey on the Iditarod Trail

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  45 ratings  ·  18 reviews
An inspiring book about dedication, the love of dogs, and the physical endurance and mental toughness needed to run the Iditarod sled dog race -- from a female perspective. Lisa Frederic didn't set out to run the Iditarod. She just fell in love with the event and wanted to help. She ended up working as a volunteer for the Trail Committee at various checkpoints. Then she he ...more
Published April 1st 2006 by Alaska Northwest Books

To ask other readers questions about Running with Champions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Running with Champions

The Call of the Wild by Jack LondonInto the Wild by Jon KrakauerWhite Fang by Jack LondonAlaska and Back by Dorothy May MercerAlaska by James A. Michener
Alaska Tales
119th out of 166 books — 144 voters
The Cruelest Miles by Gay SalisburyWinterdance by Gary PaulsenRace Across Alaska by Libby RiddlesNo End in Sight by Rachael ScdorisCold Hands, Warm Heart by Jeff King
Iditarod/Dog Mushing Nonfiction
7th out of 21 books — 10 voters

More lists with this book...

Jana Middleswart
Enjoyed reading this book. The author was the bus driver/tour guide we had for our day tour at Denali National Park in late June 2012. She had amazing stories to tell!
Kathy Bringardner
I had the opportunity to spend a day with this author, as she was our tour bus driver in Denali National Park. Hearing her stories of raising dogs and training for the Iditarod was amazing. Her knowledge of nature and the animals in the tundra enhanced our 8 hour tour. I loved finding this book in the bookstore and found it to be a page turner! She writes with humor and wit and tells a very entertaining story. Even if you have never been to Alaska, this story of her determination and courage ins ...more
David
Running with Champions is a great book that has gotten good reviews all around. But I'm a little biased because I'm related to the author. You can check out some of the reviews on Amazon, but as always I'd buy from the independents. Happy reading...
Stephen Heverin
A great book which gives you insite into the passion that surronds Iditarod mushers, and the passion of the people that help them.
Cheryl
I knew nothing about the Iditarod before reading this book. Makes you want to go and see it!
Teresa
Great story about true happenings preparing for and running the Idiatord, "The Last Great Race".
Chickadee
Lisa tells her story of how she became involved in the Iditarod later in life. It was an evolving process over the course of 5 years and within that time frame, she candidly reveals her triumphs, love for the dogs,challenges, tears, and inner thoughts. I loved the way she wrote about her time during the Iditarod. She was challenged many times, but she prevailed and loved the experience.

To me, this paragraph perfectly captures her feelings, her passions about racing and the Iditarod:

"There are si
Becky Rippel
This is a great Alaska book. The author and her husband run a fishing boat out of Kodiak. That is until Lisa vacationed in Nome and was bitten by the Iditarod bug! She began as a volunteer at checkpoints along the trail. Then apprenticed to 4 time Iditarod champion, Jeff King before finally participating in her first race. Following Lisa on her adventure is heartwarming and at times, heartbreaking. Great for anyone who loves dogs and has even a passing interest in the Iditarod!!
Tara
Jan 19, 2009 Tara rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Tara by: katy
Shelves: nonfiction, alaska, 2009
the perfect fuel for my iditarod obsession, which always heats up around this time of year. great account of frederic's journey from iditarod fan to volunteer to handler to musher. gives me yet another nudge along my own fantasy path of doing it myself some day... sigh.

i'd recommend this mostly for people already knowledgeable about and/or obsessed with the iditarod... the book doesn't always do the best job of presenting info and background about things in an orderly fashion so i definitely wou
Karen
A great perspective, the Iditarod Trail through the eyes of a rookie. I learned so much. The subtitle, "A Midlife Journey on the Iditarod Trail" almost kept me from reading the book. I was afraid it was going to be "Eat Pray Love" with sled dogs. It wasn't at all. It was a great adventure tale and I enjoyed getting to know the dogs.
Sandra
Loved the book! I met Lisa on a Denali tour in August 2012 and really enjoyed her stories about the history of the area. I was impressed that she had been in commercial fishing for 20 years and enjoyed mushing in the winter. Lisa didn't talk a lot about her accomplishments so I didn't realize the extent of her involvement with mushing (completed an Iditarod!) until I read the book.
Marge Mclaughlin
I visited Denali National Park, where I purchased this book. This account of Lisa Frederic's Iditarod journey really drew me in. She tells of her preparation and training, the description and love of the dogs, and the physical and mental encounters during the 1,049 mile race. I enjoyed every chapter. What a dangerous grueling amazing life adventure.
Chade66
Interesting tale about a woman in her forties that decides to run the Iditarod. I only picked this up because I turned around at the library and caught sight of Winter Dance, one of my all time favorite books. So I checked out a couple of books, both based on the fact that they were by women.

Makes me want to buy a sled dog and a harness.
Lori
Was lucky enough to have this author as my tour guide when I was in Donali! This is how I found out about her and this book. Interesting for anyone wanting to know more about life in Alaska and about the Iditarod. Lisa is a pretty amazing woman.
E
Not the most interesting or least interesting of the Iditarod books I've read. Provides an interesting perspective of the training and behind-the-scenes kennel work, as Frederic worked with Jeff King.
Liz
Mar 15, 2009 Liz rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Liz by: Lisa and David!
What a great read! An exciting story (Lisa decides to run a 1100 mile long sled dog race when she's middle aged) with really, really good writing.
Clara
This is interesting if you are interested in Iditarod stuff....
Lois
One of my favorite books!
Sandy
Sandy marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2014
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Michael Flaherty
Michael Flaherty marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Mikaela
Mikaela marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2014
Tanya
Tanya added it
Aug 07, 2014
Mandi
Mandi marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2013