Start by marking “Running with Champions: A Midlife Journey on the Iditarod Trail” as Want to Read:
Running with Champions: A Midlife Journey on the Iditarod Trail

Running with Champions: A Midlife Journey on the Iditarod Trail

An inspiring book about dedication, the love of dogs, and the physical endurance and mental toughness needed to run the Iditarod sled dog race -- from a female perspective. Lisa Frederic didn't set out to run the Iditarod. She just fell in love with the event and wanted to help. She ended up working as a volunteer for the Trail Committee at various checkpoints. Then she he ...more
Published April 1st 2006 by Alaska Northwest Books

To ask other readers questions about Running with Champions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Running with Champions

Jana Middleswart
Feb 11, 2013 Jana Middleswart rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed reading this book. The author was the bus driver/tour guide we had for our day tour at Denali National Park in late June 2012. She had amazing stories to tell!
Kathy Bringardner
Jul 20, 2012 Kathy Bringardner rated it really liked it
I had the opportunity to spend a day with this author, as she was our tour bus driver in Denali National Park. Hearing her stories of raising dogs and training for the Iditarod was amazing. Her knowledge of nature and the animals in the tundra enhanced our 8 hour tour. I loved finding this book in the bookstore and found it to be a page turner! She writes with humor and wit and tells a very entertaining story. Even if you have never been to Alaska, this story of her determination and courage ins ...more
Marge Mclaughlin
Feb 11, 2013 Marge Mclaughlin rated it really liked it
I visited Denali National Park, where I purchased this book. This account of Lisa Frederic's Iditarod journey really drew me in. She tells of her preparation and training, the description and love of the dogs, and the physical and mental encounters during the 1,049 mile race. I enjoyed every chapter. What a dangerous grueling amazing life adventure.
David
Apr 20, 2007 David rated it it was amazing
Running with Champions is a great book that has gotten good reviews all around. But I'm a little biased because I'm related to the author. You can check out some of the reviews on Amazon, but as always I'd buy from the independents. Happy reading...
Stephen Heverin
Jun 11, 2009 Stephen Heverin rated it it was amazing
A great book which gives you insite into the passion that surronds Iditarod mushers, and the passion of the people that help them.
Cheryl
Jan 11, 2009 Cheryl rated it it was amazing
I knew nothing about the Iditarod before reading this book. Makes you want to go and see it!
Teresa
Nov 25, 2009 Teresa rated it really liked it
Great story about true happenings preparing for and running the Idiatord, "The Last Great Race".
Chickadee
Aug 16, 2013 Chickadee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoir, arctic, mushing
Lisa tells her story of how she became involved in the Iditarod later in life. It was an evolving process over the course of 5 years and within that time frame, she candidly reveals her triumphs, love for the dogs,challenges, tears, and inner thoughts. I loved the way she wrote about her time during the Iditarod. She was challenged many times, but she prevailed and loved the experience.

To me, this paragraph perfectly captures her feelings, her passions about racing and the Iditarod:

"There are si
Tara
Jan 17, 2009 Tara rated it liked it
Recommended to Tara by: katy
Shelves: nonfiction, alaska, 2009
the perfect fuel for my iditarod obsession, which always heats up around this time of year. great account of frederic's journey from iditarod fan to volunteer to handler to musher. gives me yet another nudge along my own fantasy path of doing it myself some day... sigh.

i'd recommend this mostly for people already knowledgeable about and/or obsessed with the iditarod... the book doesn't always do the best job of presenting info and background about things in an orderly fashion so i definitely wou
Becky Rippel
Apr 15, 2014 Becky Rippel rated it really liked it
This is a great Alaska book. The author and her husband run a fishing boat out of Kodiak. That is until Lisa vacationed in Nome and was bitten by the Iditarod bug! She began as a volunteer at checkpoints along the trail. Then apprenticed to 4 time Iditarod champion, Jeff King before finally participating in her first race. Following Lisa on her adventure is heartwarming and at times, heartbreaking. Great for anyone who loves dogs and has even a passing interest in the Iditarod!!
Graceanne Boettinger
Sep 28, 2015 Graceanne Boettinger rated it really liked it
I met Lisa at a bookstore signing in Denali with two of her dogs, Bronte and Vincent. I read the book after returning from vacation and found it to be gripping. We only saw a small portion of Alaska but had an appreciation of the size and beauty. I learned more about the Iditarod and appreciated the spirit of the book. I highly recommend the book especially if you love dogs.
Karen
Mar 11, 2014 Karen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adventure, alaska
A great perspective, the Iditarod Trail through the eyes of a rookie. I learned so much. The subtitle, "A Midlife Journey on the Iditarod Trail" almost kept me from reading the book. I was afraid it was going to be "Eat Pray Love" with sled dogs. It wasn't at all. It was a great adventure tale and I enjoyed getting to know the dogs.
Sandra
Sep 11, 2012 Sandra rated it it was amazing
Loved the book! I met Lisa on a Denali tour in August 2012 and really enjoyed her stories about the history of the area. I was impressed that she had been in commercial fishing for 20 years and enjoyed mushing in the winter. Lisa didn't talk a lot about her accomplishments so I didn't realize the extent of her involvement with mushing (completed an Iditarod!) until I read the book.
Chade66
Nov 02, 2011 Chade66 rated it liked it
Shelves: dogs, read-2011, mushing
Interesting tale about a woman in her forties that decides to run the Iditarod. I only picked this up because I turned around at the library and caught sight of Winter Dance, one of my all time favorite books. So I checked out a couple of books, both based on the fact that they were by women.

Makes me want to buy a sled dog and a harness.
E
Not the most interesting or least interesting of the Iditarod books I've read. Provides an interesting perspective of the training and behind-the-scenes kennel work, as Frederic worked with Jeff King.
Lori
Aug 28, 2012 Lori rated it liked it
Was lucky enough to have this author as my tour guide when I was in Donali! This is how I found out about her and this book. Interesting for anyone wanting to know more about life in Alaska and about the Iditarod. Lisa is a pretty amazing woman.
Liz
Sep 28, 2008 Liz rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Liz by: Lisa and David!
What a great read! An exciting story (Lisa decides to run a 1100 mile long sled dog race when she's middle aged) with really, really good writing.
Danielle
Danielle rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2013
Donna
Donna rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2015
Cheryl
Cheryl rated it really liked it
May 27, 2012
Kathy Tamanaha
Kathy Tamanaha rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2012
Elly Zhilyak
Elly Zhilyak rated it it was amazing
Mar 20, 2013
Jennifer rated it it was ok
Jan 11, 2014
Margaret
Margaret rated it it was amazing
Dec 20, 2015
Meredith
Meredith rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2009
Ruth Carlson
Ruth Carlson rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2013
megan-redwitch
megan-redwitch rated it liked it
Sep 09, 2014
Landis
Landis rated it it was ok
Mar 02, 2009
Kim Bauman
Kim Bauman rated it really liked it
Oct 11, 2010
Martha Sortland
Martha Sortland rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2016