Start by marking “Sons of the Oak (Runelords, #5)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Sons of the Oak

David Farland

Sons of the Oak (The Runelords #5)

3.73  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,760 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
Certain works of fantasy are immediately recognizable as monuments, towering above the rest of the category. Authors of those works, such as Stephen R. Donaldson, Robert Jordan and Terry Goodkind, come immediately to mind. Add to that list David Farland, whose epic fantasy series continues now.

The story picks up eight years after the events of Lair of Bones and begins a n
Published October 4th 2006 (first published 2006)

Paul Schulzetenberg
David Farland continues his Runelords series, but introduces a new generation with new heroes, and new villains. Farland rushes to cut ties with the last book, killing off several familiar characters from the last series within the first 50 pages. He clearly wants us to realize that this is a new series.

So, this is a new series, but does it work? Mostly. There are a few familiar faces from the previous series who play large roles in the novel, but the cast of characters is mostly new. Our hero i
Boyd
Apr 29, 2008 Boyd rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-series
This one was probably my least favorite book in the series. I just wasn't connecting with the new characters. and it was kind of like 'filler', waiting for something else to happen.
Angie
Apr 26, 2012 Angie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Writers--this guy knows his craft
David Farland is a master at his craft. I have never read anything by any other author that is as effectively descriptive as this book. I read the first four books of the series a few years ago, and I distinctly remember feeling sick to my stomach quite a bit while reading. Part of it was the Runelords culture: weakening someone else to make someone stronger, killing the weaklings to make the Runelords weaker.

But it is Farland's use of words that makes me respond physically. His description of h
David Colpitts
Mar 22, 2013 David Colpitts rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting read from David Farland. While not reaching the majesty of his previous four books he still manages to enthrall and entertain.

This novel finds us with the children of Gaborn, the Earth King, and the subsequent consequences of being his heirs. As well, Fallion, Gaborn's oldest son is an "old soul" one reborn thousands of times throughout history and his purpose for being reborn on this plane of existence.

Though I found the pacing to be a little odd in this novel and I found it dif
Alec
May 23, 2016 Alec rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
With the fourth book seemingly wrapping up the series I didn't know what to expect in this novel so I approached this installation with equal parts curiosity and worry. By the time I finished the first third of this book I knew I had a few more books to read. A few things changed with the book, obviously the central protagonist has shifted though his influence (though his bloodline) continues to play a central role. Another change is the pacing which was pretty much minute-by-minute in the first ...more
Lewstherin14
No where near as good as the earth king cycle but better than anything Jordan or Tolkien ever touched. The main problem is that Fallion is a borderline Mary Sue whose special powers negate most of deeper moral and ethical decisions built into the mythos.

You are supposed to find him a hero because his powers allow him to 'Gordian knot' decisions that would have made for interesting story-lines in the first cycle. The other characters respect him for 'not making their mistakes' but he takes third
Jesse Whitehead
I read the first four books of David Farland’s Runelords series years ago and enjoyed them a lot. I remember finding them exciting and full of fun action scenes and memorable characters, if not the smoothest of prose.

Here’s the problem. David Farland writes like a first-time novelist in some ways and like a veteran writing ninja in others. His word choices and awkward sentences feel so contrived and amateur that they are occasionally worthy of a cringe and usually elicit a wince or two.

It’s the
Dani
Feb 13, 2012 Dani rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012
For some reason I almost see books of these types like cheating (and I’m also aware of what a hypocrite I will become when I finally pick up Brandon Sanderson’s new book The Alloy of Law, but it’s only because I love him most). The problem with a continuation of a series opting for the only change being new characters is that I always feel the author has become lazy. They no longer need to think up new concepts or conflicts, they can recycle what they’ve already written and twist it just enough ...more
Bookworm Smith
Jun 22, 2011 Bookworm Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The fifth book of one of those long drawn out fantasy epics. Thousands and thousands of pages, filled with far flung mythical ideas to make the mind escape into another world...which I guess is the point of most fantasy books?

Luckily, I am into 'hardcore' fantasy. So, this book was a page turner for me.

You really need to read the first four books of the Runelords to get the full experience that is offered up in Sons of the Oak. If you recall, the previous books centred around a guy named Gabor
Garrett
Sep 12, 2010 Garrett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is always difficult to review a book that is middle in a long series. I obviously like the writing and world enough to keep going. But, I don't want to give anything away for those who haven't started the series yet. I also don't typically review the same things I do in other books (like Setting, Plot, Conflict, Characters, and Text). Instead, I focus on what keep me reading and what knocked me out of the story in general.

With book five in this series, Dave is actually starting a new set of a
Katrina
Mar 21, 2011 Katrina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am honestly quite shocked how much this book has drawn me into it. In the first hundred pages, it had me attached to characters...and then killed them off or holding my breath in suspense, thinking "Please don't kill them!" while reading to see what happened. My eyes have fogged with tears, and I've felt with the characters. There is a strange combination of limited narration with omniscient that works well.

I've been edging between giving this a 4 and a 5. THe first 200 pages flew by, I didn't
Jason
Jun 02, 2013 Jason rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I hate to give bad reviews to books. Honestly this is one of the worst put together books I have read in a long long time. I read similar reviews before trying this one out and thought "Surely they jest." However that isn't the case. I have rarely ever put a book down and not finished it, this one almost made it. I think the saddest thing about this book is that it has such great and unique ideas to build from. Once of the most original magical systems in books in a long time, imho, is what the ...more
Johnny
Dec 27, 2012 Johnny rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dropped
Aside from the average writing, the mediocre characters and the unexceptional story present in all the books of the series, there was another issues with this book that made me wish the author had taken the time to study a little before getting published.

It is quite simple, really, something everyone knows, or should. I am talking about the point of view. Any author will tell you that is very important, how you present the story to the readers, through whose eyes. There was even this guide I rea
Jenelle
I wondered after book 4 if I should stop. It was a good place, pretty much everything was resolved, and I was really, really satisfied with how things had turned out.

Now I have to finish the rest of the series before I know the answer, because this #5 doesn't really make a strong case either way. Mostly, though, it seems a lot more depressing.

The redeeming quality?-- the killer performance in the audiobook. So good.
Lana
Jun 11, 2015 Lana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
am really getting to love the characters in these books, the younger generation are even better than their parents, fallion is growing into an earth king really worthy of respect. the story has in a way turned much darker but fallion the light bringer brings also a lot of hope for the world!! i think he is going to be a great hero in the following books!
Kerry
Jul 07, 2013 Kerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I listened this book. As with Farland's other books, it is a loonnnggg book with some redundancy, but I love its originality which keeps me working through this series. Farland's detailed, repetitive descriptions can become fatiguing. His world-building is outstanding.

This book picked up after Gaborn's death and followed Fallon's young life. It introduced an old enemy in a new form. The use of magic was less prominent in this book when compared to the previous works in this series. I think this
Michael
Feb 10, 2016 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sons of the Oak

Fantastic! Loved this book. In the beginning of this book, you lose characters you loved. By the end you are cheering on the new ones David has given us.
Sara
The Sons of the Oak was an improvement, I think over the last few books. The first was the best by far, but still, I love this series as a whole. I was skeptical know that this book is all about the sons of Gaborn and he himself is passed. But I was pleased to find Fallion a likable character. It was a little creepy to see Myrrima and Borenson settle down on a farm... >.> But I guess they have to bow out somehow. Borenson hasn't any endowments now and Myrrima's not really so strong. I wond ...more
Andrew Obrigewitsch
This is a bit of a transition book. It was just OK. Introduces the new storyline which does get better in the next book.
Kenneth Hayes Geary
OK this is where the series really picks up, not to knock the Earth King section of the series i enjoyed them. However if you are not into slow building of characters and plot you can just read the wikipedia pages for the first few books and pick up the series here. Farland does an amazing job of building a saga. He has seamlessly moved eight years forward from the previous trilogy of books and introduced us to the Heirs of the Earth King, goes deeper into his universe's history, and we finally ...more
Ryan Michael
Pat King
Feb 11, 2014 Pat King rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good continuation
Sarah Staszkiel
This novel was the point in the series where my interest started to wane. I don't think it was necessarily the books fault entirely. I think I just tend to lose interest once a story moves on to focus on subsequent generations. I build up an emotional investment in the original characters, and when they begin to be left out of the story in favour of their descendents, I just can't really be engaged.

Sons of the Oak was a good novel, just not as good as the previous 4.
Ben
May 04, 2007 Ben rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun continuation of the Runelords series, this book feels more like "Part 1" of a new story arc (which, of course, it is) than a fully self-contained story. Still, it does a good job of introducing us to a new set of characters, problems, and ideas without suffering from Robert Jordan syndrome (i.e., everything is TWICE as dangerous as in the last book. Now everything is even MORE dire!) Worth the read if you've been keeping up with Farland's Runelords.
Lawrence Chang
Jun 20, 2010 Lawrence Chang rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Earth King's last warning to his son Fallion:
"Learn to love the greedy as well as the generous . . . the poor as much as the rich . . . the evil . . . . Return a blessing for every blow. . . ." I'll never really be that kind and tolerant, but we all have to learn our lessons well. When we're getting old, you know the differences between good and evil seem to be blurred by our age. How noble it is to accept all!
Morgan Schreffler
Apr 20, 2015 Morgan Schreffler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book a lot. It was a bit too happy of an ending I thought, but still enjoyable. I also found it interesting that Farland changed how time moves in this installment. Books 1-4 spanned a period of roughly two weeks total, while Sons of the Oak spanned about a five-year period (and was shorter in length than any of the first four books). I didn't find this to be a problem; just interesting.
J.A.
I was fortunate enough to sit between Brandon Sanderson and David Farland at an author signing in November 2006, just after this book was released. Farland said it was the first time he had seen it in its' finished form. I read the first four books in the series after that signing, and I'm just now returning to read the second set of four.

Farland is a facilitator when it comes to twisting the knife!
Aaron Anderson
Sep 10, 2011 Aaron Anderson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-fantasy
This is the start of a second series in The Runelords. Like the first four I read, it wasn't bad, and wasn't amazing. They all probably deserve 3.5 stars, but goodreads doesn't let you do half-stars, so I've been giving them 4.

This one was actually shaping up slightly better than prior, but its end was so utterly abrupt and "the bad guys" seemed far too easy and simple to vanquish.
Divia
Mar 31, 2009 Divia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a little more than halfway through and so far it seems okay. David Farland's writing seems to have improved since the first few Runelords book, but I still don't think the characters have much depth.

I'm finished now, and agree with what I said before. The book was entertaining enough to finish, but I won't be seeking out the next one in the series all that soon.
  • The Shadow Sorceress (Spellsong Cycle #4)
  • The Assassin King (Symphony of Ages, #6)
  • Mistress of the Catacombs (Lord of the Isles, #4)
  • The Prince of Dreams (Seven Brothers, #2)
  • The Fifth Sorceress (The Chronicles of Blood and Stone, #1)
  • Shapers of Darkness (Winds of the Forelands, #4)
  • Bleak Seasons (The Chronicles of the Black Company, #6)
  • Crown of Stars (Crown of Stars, #7)
  • Mystic Empire (The Bronze Canticles, #3)
  • Druid's Sword (The Troy Game, #4)
  • The Grand Crusade (The DragonCrown War Cycle, #3)
  • Servant of a Dark God
David Farland is the author of the bestselling Runelords series, including Chaosbound, The Wyrmling Horde and Worldbinder. He also writes science-fiction as David Wolverton. He won the 1987 Writers of the Future contest, and has been nominated for a Nebula Award and a Hugo Award. Farland also works as a video game designer, and has taught writing seminars around the U.S. and Canada. He lives in Sa ...more
More about David Farland...

The Runelords (9 books)
  • The Runelords (Runelords #1)
  • Brotherhood of the Wolf (Runelords, #2)
  • Wizardborn (Runelords, #3)
  • The Lair of Bones (Runelords, #4)
  • Worldbinder (Runelords, #6)
  • The Wyrmling Horde (Runelords, #7)
  • Chaosbound (Runelords, #8)
  • A Tale of Tales (Runelords, #9)