Start by marking “So You Know It's Me” as Want to Read:
So You Know It's Me

So You Know It's Me

So You Know It’s Me is a collection of lyric essays that were posted on the Tuscaloosa Craigslist Missed Connections board over the course of 45 days. On the 45th day, in accordance to Craigslist policy, the essays began to erase themselves.
Paperback, first, 52 pages
Published June 15th 2011 by Tiny Hardcore Press (first published June 2011)

To ask other readers questions about So You Know It's Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about So You Know It's Me

Farren
Jun 14, 2011 Farren rated it it was amazing
THIS BOOK IS A HUGE FUCKING DEAL.
Mel Bosworth
May 29, 2011 Mel Bosworth rated it it was amazing
I don’t want you to guess what I was drinking. I was drinking Earl Gray tea. I was drinking Earl Gray tea and I was reading Brian Oliu’s new book SO YOU KNOW IT’S ME when you and your strong lavender approached. You were wearing cut-off jean shorts. You had a thing in your hair, maybe chopsticks, scissored. You were squeezing a copy of a book about water. You had a funny look in your eyes, like your eyes were broken, dangling—maybe your eyes were cleaning windows on the skyscraper of you. I ...more
Jamie Grefe
Mar 15, 2013 Jamie Grefe rated it it was amazing
Oliu's lyric Craigslist ads, taken in total, add up to the portrait of a deeply perceptive man whose gaze of the women he is fascinated by resonates long after this book is over. The front cover of our POV looking through a window at a party or gathering also plays into how these passages unfold: man seeking woman, man on the outside, man as stranger, as forgotten.
Allyson
Jun 14, 2011 Allyson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
I read this in the morning while sitting in the garden.
June 14 in Arizona: high of 103 today--
and still I felt wave after wave of goosebumps as I made my way through this book.
It is a beautiful thing.
Madison Langston
omggggg
Matt
Jul 26, 2011 Matt rated it really liked it
It's ridiculously stingy of me to mention this, but it needs to be said: of the purported 45 short essays Oliu posted on Craiglist, this includes only half, the odd numbered ones.

That said, the essays themselves, short and lyrical, are dynamic and moving, trying to reach out to connect with a figure, or several different figures-- the tone moderates between comic and more serious, but is more than that consistently inventive in the sentences and syntax Oliu uses. There is an echo of Martone's wr
Neal
Jun 08, 2011 Neal rated it really liked it
I may be biased but it didn't really matter. I didn't really know what to expect getting into it. I just knew it was written via Cragslist's Missed Connections. At first maybe I was expecting it to be funnier than it came across. I think I thought they would all be fictional for humor's sake, but as I kept reading them I kept feeling more and more that behind each entry there really was a girl. It turned out at the end I was kind of right and it was also a little bit sadder than I was expecting. ...more
Sara Habein
Apr 17, 2012 Sara Habein rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Sara by: Roxane
Shelves: own
Oliu’s missed connections could be any person out there, a person receiving attention from someone who over-thinks a little too often and sometimes wonders if he remembers too much. The tone of each essay is slightly obsessive and sad, yet beautiful in their moments of sincere flattery. I enjoyed the book a lot, and though I appreciate the structure, I thought by the end, Ah, just let us have one more…

(My full review can be found on Word Riot.)
Robert Vaughan
Jan 17, 2016 Robert Vaughan rated it it was amazing
I read this for the third or maybe fourth time this fall and thought, how does he do it? These pieces are so witty and amazing. One of my favorite books of short fiction, compressed like a master, and with a take-away longer than the Mississippi River. Don't wait, get it. And if you feel like "huh?" on the first read, give it a second shot. Take your time. Slow down. This book will make you want to.
Jill
Jun 16, 2011 Jill rated it really liked it
Brian Oliu writes in So You Know It's Me, again and again, "This is about you." And it is. It's about all of us. And what we miss, again and again. My favorites: "Roll," "In Motion," "Frozen," "Cinchoism," "The Walk Home," "Construct," "Replay," "Penultimate," and "The End." And "M4W," because it's meta.
Melanie Jennings
Nov 04, 2012 Melanie Jennings rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, favorites
So far, so spectacular. LOVING this. Short posts that originally appeared on Craigslist's "Missed Connections" site. Poetic, powerful vignettes that are blowing my mind and restoring my faith that great work is getting published (albeit by extremely small publishers).
J.A.
Oct 10, 2011 J.A. rated it really liked it
These are quirky, demanding, pressing pieces that are, as a whole, a great example of how second-person narrative can work (it usually doesn't) and how accusatory language functions when it is in its prime (as it is in Oliu's hands).
Ursula
Nov 14, 2012 Ursula rated it it was amazing
4.5/5 This book was so powerful, disturbing, and well-crafted. The form heightened the desperation so that by the end I could not lift my eyes off the page. I can't wait to re-read this gem over the weekend.
Shelf Magazine
Read our review in the October/November 2011 issue of Shelf Magazine. http://www.pagegangster.com/p/3YczN/
Layne Ransom
Jul 14, 2011 Layne Ransom rated it it was amazing
Relentlessly sincere, glimmers with a musical kind of clarity; gut-punch after achy-lovely gut-punch.
Neal
Neal rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2011
Sally
Sally rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2014
Bill Gladstone
Bill Gladstone rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2013
Amber Sparks
Amber Sparks rated it it was amazing
Oct 27, 2011
Scott Muska
Scott Muska rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2013
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
Feb 17, 2014
Lynly
Lynly rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2016
Dave
Dave rated it liked it
Jan 14, 2016
Roxane
Roxane rated it it was amazing
Apr 25, 2011
Ian Denning
Ian Denning rated it it was amazing
Jun 08, 2011
J Clement Wall
J Clement Wall rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2012
Kate
Kate rated it liked it
Aug 13, 2016
Steve
Steve rated it it was amazing
Apr 16, 2012
Frank Hinton
Frank Hinton rated it it was amazing
Jun 01, 2011
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Mar 22, 2013