Start by marking “Industrial Light & Magic: The Art of Innovation” as Want to Read:
Industrial Light & Magic: The Art of Innovation

Industrial Light & Magic: The Art of Innovation (Industrial Light & Magic)

Industrial Light & Magic: The Art of Innovation is an extensively illustrated oral history of the multiple-Academy-Award®-winning visual effects company founded by George Lucas in 1975. Its tale begins with a small team of craftspeople, engineers, and artists who pioneered analog effects that had never before been attempted or realized on the screen for Star Wars. Indu ...more
Published November 1st 2011 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about Industrial Light & Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Industrial Light & Magic

Andrew
Jul 15, 2015 Andrew rated it it was amazing
I cannot saw how much i have been looking forward to reading this book. Without disappearing off in to a convoluted history of Industrial Light and Magic (ILM) or the fact that I stumbled across their first book in a random book sale held in a the conference room of a rather beaten up hotel I just happened to be walking past - but lets say that I loved the films (Star Wars and Indiana Jones to name but a few) but also it gave an in depth and open tour-de-force of how special effects are created ...more
Chris
Jan 19, 2013 Chris rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People who love Movies and "The Making of" series
ILM is one of those dream companies that are extremely hard to get into. They are considered the best special effects company to work for and credit their start to George Lucas when he started making the first Star Wars movie. ILM creates the movie worlds that audience members are starting to take for granted. They create the dream-like escapes that we come to expect now in films that very few could ever come up with on our own. They are the wizards that make the dreamers' (directors) dreams com ...more
Parka
Nov 14, 2012 Parka rated it it was amazing
Shelves: movies

(More pictures of the book on my blog)

The two earlier books from ILM were ILM: The Art of Special Effects in 1987 and ILM: Into the Digital Realm in 1996.

This new 360-page hardcover features 43 films from 1995 to 2011. Movies from before 1995 are featured in only a few pages since they were in the earlier books. To give you an idea of how far it goes back, the first movie featured is Casper (1995).

The more recent movies are Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy, Transformers, Iron Man, and the Star W
Trike
Jun 24, 2012 Trike rated it really liked it
This is a terrific look at the past decade-and-a-half of ILM's work. Each entry is fairly brief and can therefore be consumed in bite-sized chunks, but you do get a good feel for how the technology has progressed and the company has grown.

It has many of the most recent movies, including Avatar and the Marvel superhero movies, with some nice behind-the-scenes information on their productions. Books like this don't delve into company politics or gossip about the artists, which is how it should be.
Astrid Yrigollen
If you live in Marin county you should check out this book. This is a fun, picture filled book capturing a slice of Industrial Light & Magic's work. From their earlier work with George Lucas on to semi-recent films like Avatar and Rango.The book details processes,techniques and some challenges, but in no way is a hand book for the digital film student.It's light reading with plenty of eye candy for film and special effect buffs.
Maddoganchorite
May 06, 2012 Maddoganchorite rated it it was amazing
This book was really great with covering movies that were pretty big for ILM from 1995 to 2011. It was really detailed which is why I liked it. The book is easy to read. It talks about how their programs, and techniques developed over the years. It was a really fun read. Overall, can't wait for the next book which is I'm most likely have to wait another 15 to 20 years for most likely :P
Lara
Aug 20, 2016 Lara rated it really liked it
I give it 4 out of 5 stars only because I want to read more about and see more photos from each movie. The book is heavy enough as it is, if it was to my liking I would need helpers to carry it. ;)
Steven
Aug 11, 2012 Steven added it

Not sure of I'll ever get to 'Read' this book all the way through... Too busy looking at all the movie prints inside... Every film Industrial Light and Magic have been involved in...
John
John rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2015
Joe
Joe rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2015
Gregory
Gregory rated it liked it
Nov 08, 2015
HankFlonkerton
HankFlonkerton rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2017
Shelby Miller
Shelby Miller rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2016
Max
Max rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2017
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it really liked it
Oct 15, 2016
John
John rated it liked it
Jun 24, 2012
Dane
Dane rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2015
Peter
Peter rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2012
Kean
Kean rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2017
Julio
Julio rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2014
Victor
Victor rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2014
Shota Imai
Shota Imai rated it it was amazing
Dec 10, 2012
Daniel Milford
Daniel Milford rated it liked it
Jul 01, 2015
Kung-Cheng Wang
Kung-Cheng Wang rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2014
Darin Strachan
Darin Strachan rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2013
Matthias
Matthias rated it it was amazing
Oct 07, 2015
Alyssa
Alyssa rated it it was amazing
Dec 15, 2015
Nick Aldwin
Nick Aldwin rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2016
Andrey
Andrey rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2016
Alexis Kirke
Alexis Kirke rated it it was amazing
Oct 30, 2016

Industrial Light & Magic (3 books)
  • Industrial Light & Magic: The Art of Special Effects