Start by marking “The Sniffles for Bear” as Want to Read:
The Sniffles for Bear

The Sniffles for Bear (Bear and Mouse)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  389 ratings  ·  80 reviews
The relentlessly cheery Mouse pushes a cold-suffering Bear to new heights of melodrama in a hilarious new adventure starring the unlikely pair.

Bear has a terrible cold. In fact, Bear is quite sure that no one has ever been as sick as he is. So when Mouse comes tap, tap, tapping on his front door eager to make Bear "as good as new" by reading a sunny story, singing a rousin...more
Published September 13th 2011 by Candlewick

To ask other readers questions about The Sniffles for Bear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sniffles for Bear

Corduroy by Don FreemanBrown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.Winnie-the-Pooh by A.A.  MilneLittle Bear by Else Holmelund MinarikThe Golden Compass by Philip Pullman
Bears on Bookcovers
43rd out of 136 books — 17 voters
Who Will Hug the Sun by Ey WadeBetween the Two of Them by Ey WadeNot a Sound. Not a Peep by Ey WadeA Pet Banana by Othen Donald Dale CummingsMy First Fun Golf Steps by Anna Othitis
Best Books to Read to 3-5 Year-Old Children
295th out of 331 books — 236 voters

More lists with this book...

Kris
Oh Bear and Mouse, how I love your books with their wonderful richness of language.
Bear is sick. "In fact, Bear was quite sure no one had ever been as sick as he."
Mouse tries to make Bear feel better, with a cheerful story, a serenade, banjo music.
"'Stop!' growled Bear. 'I fear you do not appreciate the gravity of my situation.'"
Love!
Mouse finally gets Bear to bed with some soup, and after making a will and whispering farewell, Bear falls asleep. When he wakes, feeling better, Mouse is now sick,...more
Mary
"I fear you do not appreciate the gravity of my situation."

How many picture books contain a phrase like that? None. Or "HAVE YOU NO DECENCY!?"

What a drama bear! Filled with more great vocabulary and phrases, priceless illustrations filled with expression, and a lovely story of true friendship, this is another Bear story worth checking out. A bit long and with conversations that may require discussion between reader and listener, this may not be the best for storytime, but perfect for one-on-one...more
Heidi
More adorableness with Bear and Mouse. I love these two. This book just begs to be acted out--and I'd love to play either part! Some things (like the will) would be over a preschooler's head, though if acted out well (either by one or two), they would still enjoy it. A great storytime, lap-read, or read-alone for the school-age child. Love the illustrations. Love the bit of a lesson tucked away in there, too. I'm so glad Becker keeps writing these.
Angela
This book is dying to be read-aloud. This time as bear's health and tolerance dwindle, he begins to imagine the end, only to bellow, "Have You No Decency?" when mouse asks to inherit the tea kettle.

A worthwhile addition to the Bear and Mouse collection, I find their voices forever instilled in my head. Highly recommended, and just as highly recommended as the Bear and Mouse titles that came before.
Deanna
When Bear gets sick his faithful friend Mouse is there to help. Mouse's bed-side manner fails to impress Bear, who believes he is knocking on death's door. Bear's flare for the dramatic is highly entertaining. Kid's will appreciate the story, adults will appreciate it more.
Angie Holtz
From Lilac Wolf and Stuff

I was so excited when I received this book in the mail. The Andersons bought A Visitor for Bear when CW had his tonsils taken out and it is one of our favorite books now. We checked out A Sleepover for Bear from the library and enjoyed that too. I saw this (due out September 13) I hunted down the publisher.

The Bear books are great at demonstrating how to be a good friend. They show that it takes hard work and determination. It also shows that it's not always perfect. Bea...more
David
The Sniffles For Bear by Bonny Becker, illustrated by Kady MacDonald Denton is the story of a very sick day for Bear and how Mouse helps him feel better.

When Bear is very sick, and feeling melodramatic, cheerful Mouse comes over to cheer up and take care of his friend. Mouse tries reading singing, playing the banjo soup, and writing Bear's will. Bear is sure he's about to die, but finally falls asleep and awakens feeling much better. Mouse, however, is now sick and must go to bed.

The text uses a...more
Barbara
In this fourth installment featuring Bear and Mouse, Bear is terribly, terribly ill with a bad cold. When Mouse arrives to take care of Bear, Bear grows annoyed at his cheerfulness and his seeming lack of sympathy. After ministering to his friend with soup, Mouse offers to help him make a will which leaves several coveted objects to Mouse. Furious when Mouse seems to be relishing the receipt of those objects including red roller skates and a teakettle, Bear summons the strength to rise from his...more
Dolly
Oct 28, 2011 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2011, childrens
This is another fun story in the Bear series by Bonny Becker and Kady MacDonald Denton. The narrative is humorous and the illustrations are as adorable as ever. I love that the vocabulary in the story is a little challenging for children, with words like "gravity, disgraceful, intolerable, and decency."

For some reason, I wasn't inspired to read this book aloud with an British accent as I was with the first story, A Visitor for Bear. And the story just didn't resonate with me like that first stor...more
Melanie
Bear has a cold. His friend Mouse is determined to help him feel better. When reading him a story doesn't help Mouse tries strumming his banjo and singing a song. That doesn't work either. Time for soup. Mouse makes Bear some soup. After the soup Bear begins to nod off to sleep. Although he seems to think he's dying and has Mouse draw up a will. Of course, after a bit, Bear wakes up and feels much better. Mouse, however, not so good. Bear tucks Mouse into bed and leaves him snug to sleep.
Robyn Jones
5 STARS! The Sniffles for Bear written by Bonny Becker and illustrated by Kady MacDonald Denton is a funny and heartwarming story about a melodramatic bear getting a cold and his friend mouse coming to his aid. Bear thinks no one has ever been as sick as he is. Mouse thinks a little cheer and company will do the trick. There are a few laugh out loud moments when Bear reacts to Mouse singing and mouse a little too eager to help him with his last will and testament. Poor Bear. Mouse sticks with hi...more
Ina
The soft watercolor illustrations of this book are marvelous. An ill, but overly dramatic, bear is cared for by a somewhat overly cheerful mouse. Mouse tries to make Bear better using some interesting methods: dramatic reading, singing, playing the banjo. Finally, Mouse helps Bear upstairs, makes him a bowl of nettle soup and helps Bear make out his well (remember the phrase overly dramatic?). Bear wakes up feeling well, only to find Mouse is now coming down with his cold. The text is short but...more
Margaret
Jan 25, 2012 Margaret rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Margaret by: Candlewick Press
I love Candlewick Press, they always have more and more foxy reading books. While I haven't read the other Bear and Mouse books yet from Becker & Denting, they are now on my list for future reads. This is a very appropriate, on the verge of calm, read for a sick day. With colors of a more pastels hue, this is not filled will brilliant shades that would bring a headache to a sick kiddo (or mama) and that is something else. I appreciate.

Typed from Kindle Fire.

Thanks to Candlewick Press for pro...more
Ashley
The Sniffles for Bear is a well illustrated and cute story. It would be great for grade 3 and under with some challenging vocabulary. It also sends the message that nothing is ever as big of a deal as it initially seems.
Amanda Snow
Originally published at www.apatchworkofbooks.com

This is the third installment in this adorable series featuring Bear and Mouse. Bear is his usual grumpy self, though he also happens to have a very bad cold, making him even grumpier. Mouse, always overeager in his willingness to help, makes Bear snippier and grouchier, until of course, Mouse starts to feel yucky and the roles are reversed.

These books are always cute and sweet with soft illustrations that make them perfect for bedtime reading. Th...more
Heidi
A fun addition to the Bear and Mouse series perfect for sharing. The text works well as a read-a-loud providing for lots of expression on the part of the reader. In fact the more expression used the funner the read-a-loud experience will be. Both characters are delightful in their own way, grumpy Bear and cheerful Mouse. A delightful homage to the value of friendship even when things get hard. The illustrations add the perfect touch of humor through body language and facial expressions. Highly r...more
Bridget R. Wilson
Poor Bear has a cold. He believes he's on death's doorstep. Luckily for him, Dr. Mouse is on call. Mouse refuses to let Bear sink into depression on top of his cold.

What I thought: I loved it! Bear and Mouse continue to delight me. In this adventure, the contrast between the friends' outlooks is magnified. Bear making a will put me in mind of Amy from Little Women. The illustrations are great as usual. My favorites are Bear when Mouse comes in, Mouse helping Bear to bed, and Mouse sick in bed.

St...more
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Bear isn’t just sick; he thinks he is on his last leg. Why, then, isn’t Mouse properly appreciative of the severity of the situation?

Great vocabulary for a read aloud. Who wouldn’t love the sight of tiny Mouse dragging enormous Bear up the stairs?! Very, very funny!

“’Nettle soup,’ Mouse said.
‘I made it myself.’

Bear sipped cautiously. It was hot and tasted a bit like spinach and straw. Bear rather liked it. Bear’s eyes began to close. ‘Better?’ inquired Mouse.

Bear’s eyes snapped open.
‘Certainly n...more
Tam
I think the "Bear" books are cute but I have a hard time reading them to my 4-year-old.

I feel like I'm constantly stopping to explain things to him. For example, Bear has a cold and when Mouse came to read him a happy story, Bear growled, "I fear you do not appreciate the gravity of my situation." The other expressions were: weaker by the moment, when someone is dreadfully ill you sing mournful songs, intolerable, make a will, have you no decency, flicker before the dark.

babyhippoface
Oh, my. This is every bit as clever and funny and wonderful as the first Bear and Mouse book, A Visitor for Bear . This time, Bear is feeling horrible--sneezy, stuffy nose and headache...yep, it's a cold. Not to worry, though, because ever-chipper Mouse is on hand to lift his spirits. Well, to give it a good try, at least. Let's face it, Bear's a pretty tough customer.

This book is a perfect read-aloud, in cold and flu season or out.
Danica Midlil
For some reason I have a fondness for books about feeling under the weather. Friends bring soup, there are big red noses, funny accents due to congestion, and piles of quilts. There is something very cozy and reassuring about sickness books, probably because they alway end in recovery. The character is pampered by his friends and then wonder upon wonders, he feels SO much better in the morning. It's like magic.
Julie Esanu
Bear and Mouse are back! Bear has a cold, and, in his typically exaggerated style, feels that he's at death's door. As always, bright-eyed Mouse is ready to lend a hand and tries to nurse (and coax) Bear back to good health and spirits. Mouse and Bear are the Felix and Oscar of children's books. Bonnie Becker's fun stories of friendship, combined with Kady McDonald Denton's lovely illustrations, instantly hook readers.
I haven't really run across that many picture books that are about having a cold and this one takes a humorous approach that had me laughing out loud. The bear who is sick is making a dramatic big deal about having a cold (sounds like a few people I know), and his friend Mouse is trying to put a positive spin on things until he "finally understands the gravity of the situation" and helps Bear write his will.
Kate Hastings
Grades 2-5. Does Bear remind anyone else of their husband when he's sick. *smirk* (Note: glad husband does not subscribe to goodreads). Anyhow, this is a very funny book about Mouse trying to make Bear feel better and Bear getting more and more dramatic to the point where he is rattling off his last will and testament. Young children would enjoy the pictures, but older students will appreciate the humor.
Shelli
OMG I LOVE THIS BOOK! Bear is sick. So sick that he is not pleased with the appearance of his helpful exuberant friend Mouse. Mouse is to perky and not understanding the severity of Bears plight. For example Mouse needs to take Bear's last will and testament that he needs to dictate more seriously. This book is an AMAZING read aloud. Silly voices are needed when reading!
Anne
I cracked up laughing at Bear in this book, but I'd saving reading it aloud to older kids versus preschoolers. The text is longer and some of the concepts require a little maturity. Not many picture books mention making a will, but I love who is to get the roller skates. There is some excellent vocabulary though and Bear and Mouse are adorable together as always.
Courtney
This book is my choice for the 2011 Caldecott Medal. The book is about Bear and Mouse who are friends, and Bear gets sick and Mouse comes to help him get over his illness. Bear takes his illness a little too far. This book is fantastic, but the illustrations are superb, they fit the words perfectly and they are very well done.
Teresa
Some people are just not good patients, and Bear is one of them. I love his drama: "I grow weaker by the moment"-- and rich language: "HAVE YOU NO DECENCY?"

This will be great fun to read and overact with. Of course, loyal mouse sticks with him and knows what he needs. Predictable but still satisfying twist at the end.
Dan
This book is about a bear who is really sick and looks and acts like he is going to die. His friend the mouse is taking care of him and makes sure the bear rests and eats. After the bear has rested he is better and the mouse feels sick. This book would be good to share for showing someone being over dramatic.
Jen
This is a GREAT read aloud! I read it to my 2nd graders today and they were laughing hysterically at Bear. Bear is a little under the weather and sure that no one has ever been quite this sick. When Mouse comes to visit, he figures he has just the remedy to help Bear feel better. Very cute book!
  • Mustache!
  • A New Year's Reunion: A Chinese Story
  • Me and My Dragon
  • Say Hello to Zorro!
  • The Twins' Blanket
Bonny Becker is the author of a number of award-winning picture books and middle-grade novels. She lives in Seattle.
More about Bonny Becker...
A Visitor for Bear (Bear and Mouse, #1) A Bedtime for Bear A Birthday for Bear: An Early Reader The Magical Ms. Plum A Library Book for Bear