Start by marking “Up All Night” as Want to Read:
Up All Night

Up All Night

Who is out there in the dark while the rest of us sleep? In "Up All Night, Martha Gies profiles two dozen graveyard-shift workers and presents a rare insider's look at the unseen workers who keep our cities humming after dark.
Published April 1st 2004 by Oregon State University Press (first published March 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Up All Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Up All Night

Deb Morgan
Mar 04, 2013 Deb Morgan rated it it was ok
This collection had a few stories that I enjoyed but overall I skipped a lot of them. I enjoyed the ones about people in the medical field the most (shocker). It did remind me of a mini ethnography I had to do in college-the-first-time for an anthropology class where my friends and I visited a local bakery in the wee hours of the morning to interview them about their job. We went in the back door and the floor was slippery with donut grease. It became a bit of an addiction on many mornings. ...more
Rogue Reader
Dec 31, 2014 Rogue Reader rated it really liked it
Wonderful writing about the night life of Portland, Oregon - street cleaners, mission workers, cops and ambulance drivers, dancers, hotelier -- and many more professions covered. Each chapter is a short narrative, with Gies' observations woven in. How fascinating to see the streets and neighborhoods where I walk during the day, transformed at dusk into something strangely familiar and unknown.

Thanks Gies for writing this work, and OSU Press for publishing it.

--Ashland Mystery

Sidra
Jun 16, 2011 Sidra rated it it was ok
I admit, I didn't finish this book, so this is probably an unfair review, but as excited as I was to read this book and as wonderful as I thought the subject matter, this book left me a little flat. I expected to be drawn in emotionally to the lives of these "up all nighters" and just felt a bit disconnected.
Apr 01, 2013 Jennifer rated it liked it
This book is a very interesting look into not only the way "the other half" lives, but also nearly all aspects of that other half--the good, the bad, and the ugly, as it were. The night shift truly is a whole other world, and it's fun to read about. Though I can see that there are certain advantages to working at night, this book also is showing me that it's probably not my thing.
Taweewat
Mar 13, 2014 Taweewat rated it really liked it
I really like this book. You can see a lot going on through many people experiences for their night works. Some like it, some love it but some also hate it. Personal story is really interesting. However, there is no connection at all between each story making it less interesting and hard to finish once you go through half of the books.
Mary
Jun 06, 2010 Mary rated it it was amazing
Martha Gies has written a very informative collection of short essays about working folks who work night shifts. Entertaining, and sometimes touching, I would recommend it to anyone who likes good non-fiction.
Lacey
Jun 27, 2008 Lacey rated it it was ok
Hmmmmm. I really liked the idea of this book and enjoyed reading about the lives of these people who work all kinds of night jobs. But, I feel like the attempts at objectivity in the interviews and writings created a kind of sterility that was disappointing.
Greg Curtin
Greg Curtin rated it liked it
Feb 01, 2013
Trina Kloke
Trina Kloke rated it really liked it
May 17, 2014
Karen
Karen rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2010
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Nov 29, 2007
Richard
Richard rated it really liked it
Jul 04, 2013
Brandon Barrett
Brandon Barrett rated it really liked it
May 21, 2013
Eileen Lachapelle perry
Eileen Lachapelle perry rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2014
Eileen Perry
Eileen Perry rated it it was amazing
Sep 08, 2015
Linera
Dec 16, 2009 Linera rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pacific-nw-books
Fascinating look at the night culture of Portland, by one of its best writers and writing teachers.
Chris
Chris rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2011
Todd Morgan
Todd Morgan rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2009
Jan Fortney
Jan Fortney rated it liked it
Jul 31, 2016
Glass_Slipper
Glass_Slipper rated it it was ok
Sep 14, 2015
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2008
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2008
kritta
kritta added it
Aug 29, 2008
Dani
Dani added it
Jul 01, 2009
Gina
Gina marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2009
Margery
Margery marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2010
April Sutherland
April Sutherland marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2011
Kristen
Kristen marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2012
Dylan
Dylan marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2013
Aundrea Shafer
Aundrea Shafer marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2013
Kim Wagner
Kim Wagner marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2013
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Jon
Jon added it
Aug 25, 2016
Rhonda
Rhonda marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2016