Start by marking “Starting Your Marriage Right: What You Need to Know in the Early Years to Make It Last a Lifetime” as Want to Read:

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  79 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
The Raineys offer an upbeat and practical manual for marriage to guide couples through the challenges they face as they start their lives together.
Published May 1st 2000 by Thomas Nelson (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Starting Your Marriage Right, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Starting Your Marriage Right

Rachelle Cobb
Feb 04, 2016 Rachelle Cobb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you're looking for a sobering call away from selfishness, look no further than this classic from the Raineys. I read Starting Your Marriage Right quickly and easily and recommend it for engaged couples. Full of practical chapters about everything from in-laws to vacations, though, this book could easily apply to the first decade of marriage, as well. I enjoyed the conversational tone and easy reading level, but most of all I appreciated the emphasis on Scripture and a biblical worldview. Thou ...more
Larissa Langsather
I enjoyed this book even though my husband didn't read it with, but I plan to bring up all the subjects in the book periodically with him. This is a great book for newly married peoples.
Becky
Mar 04, 2008 Becky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first read this book when George and I were talking seriously about marriage. We read it together as a study after a year of marriage. The book is broken into chapters that are only a few pages with thought/discussion questions at the end. Perfect for a weekly study. It's what got us started on praying together every night. Something else I recommend for every married couple.
Melissa
Nov 08, 2012 Melissa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Filled with good advice for any marriage, this study style book is broken into short chapters. Each one deals with a different subject, money, sex, in-laws, etc. and includes discussion questions at the end. Some information is repetitive, but still relevant. The big themes are respect, love, making Christ the center of your marriage and letting go of selfish desires.
Kayla Colyer
I enjoyed reading this book even though my husband didn't read it with me. I shared a few things with him here and there, which is kind of how I felt about the book. I marked a few things to reference when things come up but some of it was so "planned" and we are just not like that. Overall, being five years into marriage and finally reading this, I just liked it.
Constance
Nov 28, 2012 Constance rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lot of useful information about how to get through struggles and how to build on appreciating one's spouse. A lot of emphasis on communication. The author views marital conflict as something inevitable but has reassures that they could be placated through the right approach.
Shaneen
Dec 17, 2008 Shaneen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book to read this your husband or wife! It has little exercise at the end of each chapter.
Megan Wheat
There's nothing you couldn't get from this book that other, better books don't provide.
Jan
Jul 18, 2008 Jan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
devotional type book with lots of good discussion ideas. i love this one.
Esme_weatherwax
Jun 28, 2011 Esme_weatherwax rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Has some good tips, but it is definitely for the Christian couple.
Jason
Jul 08, 2008 Jason rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Book for anyone who is recently married or thinking of getting married soon.
Kari
Jul 08, 2013 Kari rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Highly recommend
Jeffrey
Jeffrey is currently reading it
Jul 12, 2016
Morgan Erb
Morgan Erb marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Weston
Weston is currently reading it
Jun 05, 2016
Allison Dutton
Allison Dutton marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
Joshua David Stanley
Joshua David Stanley rated it did not like it
Apr 28, 2016
Avery
Avery marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
John
John rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2016
Brittany Eby
Brittany Eby marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
Kerri
Kerri rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2016
JV
JV rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2016
TRAVOUR
TRAVOUR marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2016
Emily Good
Emily Good marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2016
Grace
Grace marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Samantha
Samantha marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Jackelyn Santana
Jackelyn Santana marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Brandon And
Brandon And marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Dai
Dai added it
Jan 24, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
FROM FAMILY LIFE WEBSITE: Dennis Rainey is president, CEO and cofounder of FamilyLife, a division of Campus Crusade for Christ. Since the organization began in 1976, Dennis' vibrant stewardship has enabled FamilyLife to grow into a dynamic and vital ministry that offers families blueprints for living godly lives.

Dennis has written and co-written more than a dozen books including Staying Close, wh
More about Dennis Rainey...