Start by marking “ES: Eternal Sabbath, #1” as Want to Read:
ES: Eternal Sabbath, #1

ES: Eternal Sabbath, #1 (ES : Eternal Sabbath #1)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  628 ratings  ·  30 reviews

Ryousuke Akiba calls himself ES, a code name taken from a mysterious scientific experiment. Ryousuke will live to be at least two centuries old and possesses strange mental powers: He can enter people’s minds, discover their darkest secrets, even rearrange their memories so that complete strangers will treat him like family. Ryousuke acts not out of malice but
Published May 30th 2006 by Del Rey (first published October 10th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about ES, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about ES

Nana, Vol. 1 by Ai YazawaParadise Kiss, Vol. 1 by Ai YazawaNodame Cantabile, Vol. 1 by Tomoko NinomiyaMidnight Secretary, Vol. 01 by Tomu OhmiTramps Like Us, Vol. 1 by Yayoi Ogawa
Best Josei - Manga
31st out of 114 books — 335 voters
Death Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 1 by Hiromu ArakawaFruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriVampire Knight, Vol. 1 by Matsuri Hino
Best Manga Book Ever
227th out of 772 books — 3,019 voters

More lists with this book...

May 29, 2015 Jessica marked it as reviewed
Recommends it for: anyone that is into crime novels
Recommended to Jessica by: friend
first off..
my thoughts on the book: art work is as per-usual very good, the story is very catchy, which I know to some people that's completely irrelevant, but usually when I am sitting here reading a manga it takes me not long to read, where as with this series so far its taken me half an hour.

synopsis of the story:
Ryousuke Akiba or Shuro, or ES (Eternal Sabbath) is a human who was genetically created in a hygenic's lab in order to study eternal youth.
Ryousuke will live to be at least two decad
Conan Tigard
I found ES (Eternal Sabbath): Volume 1 to be a very interesting graphic novel. First of all, I love stories about super humans. So, to have a story about a genetically engineered human being is pretty cool.

The artwork by Fuyumi Soryo is better than most other manga books and the storyline is quite intriguing.

The translation and adaptation are very good as the story flows along nicely.

What are the full extend of ES's powers? What can he really do? This is something I really want to know. I am
Stewart Tame
Very nice! A most intriguing beginning. A young man has the ability to "hack" people's brains and basically control their thoughts. His abilities work on most, but not all. This is very faintly reminiscent of Death Note in that we have an inherently supernatural premise that's treated very seriously and realistically. Can normal humans who are immune to his abilities discover his secrets? There are some hints as to where this is all going. The story stumbles a bit in how seriously it seems to ta ...more
Alex G
Being able to alter a person's memories isn't terribly new. Furthermore, the unveiling of the (view spoiler) cause of the main character's psychic powers lacks enough in-depth (view spoiler) reasoning to be able to suspend one's disbelief.
Clear, realistic and professional artwork. Excellent surrealistic images.
Took just a little while longer than usual to get going in the beginning, but it picked up after the introduct
*Miss Fame*
Actual rating: 3.5

Wow! I am really surprised! I found two series that started with the letter E to do for the ABC Challenge in the Manga Book Club, but really neither series sounded interesting to me. They both sounded a little too sci-fi and techy... but I picked ES over Eureka Seven because it sounded a little more interesting... I was really surprised to find I found it pretty awesome!

I'm not a huge fan of the art style, but the storyline is pretty interesting, and I think it'll make an aweso
A mysterious person who can manipulate the minds of others seems to wander aimlessly, altering the thoughts and fates of those he encounters arbitrarily. But when he runs into one of the few people who he can't affect, something strange happens - he finds this person interesting...

I read Eternal Sabbath as part of a book challenge and didn't know much about it going in. I'm delighted to have found what seems to be a captivating, character driven paranormal story with heavy sci-fi and mystery ele
Ryousuke Akiba calls himself Eternal Sabbath, a code name taken from a mysterious scientific experiment. Akiba is a genetically engineered human with the power to hack into peoples brains, discover their darkest secrets and reprogram them to his liking. Those who try to resist him suffer harsh mental and physical punishments. But to readers' delight, Akiba does not use his power for malicious acts but for his survival in Tokyo.

He may have finally met his match, though, in beautiful and brillian
Nek0 Baka
ES is a very good manga. The art is crisp and lovely, as expected from Fuyumi Soryo. The plot is different and intriguing. It immediately caught my attention and kept me glued until the very end.

The story revolves around people who have the ability to read and manipulate feelings of others around them. It's very heavy on neurological science, which I found to be very fascinating. It has a wonderful flow to it from one page to the next, one volume to the next.

I have the read the series in its e

Read this amazing scifi series ages ago during my pre-Goodreads time. Will have to do a re-read in order to review it. I could only say it was mind-blowing-ly good.
Infinite Scythe
A little graphic but cool.
I am a great fan of Fuyumi Souryo, and above all, this particular work. Within ES, she has woven a thought-provoking story that explores the ethics of human experimentation. Along the way, she touches upon the themes of women in science, the lines between personal and professional life, and the meaning of identity. It is amazing how well the text complements the artwork, and vice versa.
Bani M
Awesome page-turner! You'd think it was a graphic novel rather than a serialization. Kind of reminds me of Death Note- modern supernatural setting, clever, pretty sophisticated. A few pages are pretty disturbing but hang in there. The story is very exciting and re-readable.
Nyie Rombeng
I started with fearness feeling to read this.
fortunately,along time i following the story,i'm really enjoyed it now.
science fantasy fiction with human cloning is best fiction ever made!
finally,i'm so proud after reading this's awesome manga ever made!:)
Worth reading for the gorgeous art alone.
This is one of those manga, where you could blow up individual panels to frame and hang.

Story mostly good, but I thought events leading up to the ending were too contrived, and ending itself was a little weak.
Marts  (Thinker)
Ryousuke Akiba posesses the power of mind control, and can manipulate the thoughts of all he meets, he calls himself ES..... later we meet Dr. Mine Kujyou and by the end of this first volume, she gets really close to finding out the truth.....
I liked it well enough, but I didn't love it. The story was interesting, but I am having trouble liking the characters. The main character is a bit of an unfeeling bastard. I also found this manga to be a bit sexist.
cEe beE
Very intriguing science fiction manga series. Can't believe same author also did Mars, Volume 01!
Karaoke OK
May 27, 2008 Karaoke OK rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of action-thrillers with supernatural element
Shelves: manga-okay
[Series Length: 8 volumes / Read: volumes 1-8]

Supernatural (well, at least in terms of telepathic and telekinetic super-clones) action-thriller. Ending is a little sad and abrupt, though.

A rappresentanza di tutta la serie.

La Soryo ha una capacità incredibile di trattare argomenti complessi(oltre che parecchio ostici) e sa trasformarli in piccoli capolavori. Bellissimo.
Interesting, gripping story about the men with psychic powers. Quite a mature manga with occasional gore scenes. Surely better than the shallow series Mars by the same author.
Mar 24, 2013 Sarah added it
I thought I might like this but I totally did not way to much gore and the storyline was not even good so ya this is a boys manga
Very good. Interesting plot, good character exploration, and very nice artwork.
Very interesting new story, a mix of sci-fi and utopia. And perhaps some romance?
Dessins un peu froids mais histoire très captivante.
Dec 31, 2008 Kerry rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: manga
Kind of strange and just not nearly as good as Mars.
Another rating: 9/10 (for whole series!)
pretty, pretty manga
Aug 17, 2009 April rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: manga
sci fi
Josei and Seinen ...: Eternal Sabbath 6 5 Feb 11, 2015 04:48AM
  • 7 Seeds, Volume 1
  • Parasyte, Volume 1
  • Children of the Sea, Volume 1 (Children of the Sea, #1)
  • X/1999, Volume 01: Prelude
  • Pearl Pink, Vol. 01
  • Dragon Head, Volume 1
  • Kare Kano: His and Her Circumstances, Vol. 21
  • Please Save My Earth, Vol. 2
  • Eden: It's an Endless World, Volume 1 (Eden: It's an Endless World!, #1)
  • Watashitachi no Shiawase na Jikan
  • Kekkaishi, Vol. 05 (Kekkaishi, #5)
Fuyumi Soryo (惣領 冬実 Sōryō Fuyumi?, born January 6, 1959) is a Japanese manga artist from Beppu, Oita, Japan. She is a graduate of the Oita prefectural Geijutsu Midorigaoka High School.

She was born into the home of a master of the Kanze school of Noh. In her childhood she liked to draw pictures of horses and things but had no special interest in manga. While enrolled in fashion college, she happene
More about Fuyumi Soryo...

ES : Eternal Sabbath (8 books)
  • ES: Eternal Sabbath, #2