Start by marking “マース 2” as Want to Read:
マース 2

マース 2 (Mars #2)

4.30  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,079 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
They say that opposites attract, and in the case of artist Kira and biker Rei, that couldn't be more accurate. To innocent Kira, it may seem like a dream come true that the most popular guy in the school is going out with her, but that dream becomes a nightmare when jealous girls start plotting against her. Jealousy leads to desperation, and desperation leads to suicide. K ...more
Published September 13th 1996 by 講談社

To ask other readers questions about マース 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about マース 2

Miriam
Oct 28, 2015 Miriam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, graphic
Not really any worse than Vol. 1, but I'm not sure how long the slight plot can sustain a series. I guess they can always show more motorcycle racing...

I like that, contrary to the blurb, Rei and Kira are not really a "bad boy" and a "good* girl" but a boy who is dealing poorly with trauma and a girl who also clearly has some issues.

*Actually, it is kind of disturbing how a girl being pathologically shy and unable to stand up for herself still gets shorthanded as "good".
Vicky
Rei is the type of guy that Kira couldn't stand; flirty, reckless, and a biker. When a chance encounter leads to Rei saving Kira from a teacher with bad intentions, neither of them know the extent to which the other will impact them.

On the outside, MARS is a typical coming-of-age story centered on the relationship between good girl and a bad boy. But underneath the romance lie stories of suicide, rape and murder; the idea that everyone has a secret to hide, even those who seem most innocent. Wh
Song
May 07, 2007 Song rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
MARS is an Asian TV-drama worthy story. (And I believe there is a drama based on this manga in the Chinese-drama world!).

And I will admit it....I only picked up this work only because the artwork was emotional. Nobody understands what that means but if you take a look at the mangaka's way of drawing her characters' eyes, it just conveys a lot. Well, that's how I felt when I was a highschooler...I didn't even know how to read/speak Japanese back then!

It's a good drama-romance with some dark, twi
Sailor  Mercury
Jan 03, 2016 Sailor Mercury rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
SIX STARS.
What's fascinating is that Mars is the one of the darkest and most twisted stories I have ever read. The characters all suffer unspeakably horrible pasts. It's just as much a psychological thriller as it is a romance.
-Despite this....the romantic relationship in the story? It manages to be HEALTHY.
It's ironic how in books like Twilight and Hot Gimmick, where the story is nowhere near as dark, twisted, or terrifying, the relationships end up abusive. And yet in Mars, with the most unst
Lovekitty
Mars vol. 2 by Fuyumi Soryo.
I liked this installment, but not as much as the first.
In this, we see Kira and Rei's relationship grow, and the characters face yet more serious conflict.
Kira begins to feel as though Rei has lost interest in her and the whole deal about protecting her, but that's put to rest when Rei confronts a student at their school who stole Kira's drawing idea, the one with the mother and child that she's going to give to Rei.
After accosting the student in the worst way, Rei
Lynn
Dec 29, 2014 Lynn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Today's post is on MARS volume 2 by Fuyumi Soryo. It is the second in the MARS series and was published by Tokyopop. The cover has Kira one of the main character's on it. The intended reader is teen age girls but adult women would like this series too. There is no sex, mild language, and some intense situations. The story is told from the third person close of Kira. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the back of the book- Stolen Hearts
Rei promised Kira that he would protect her from anything and every
Michelle. D.
OK, this is for the overall sereis which I finished on January 8, 2011.

Masao is just a phsyco! He is crazy man, I say crazy. WIth all those stuff and the stuff he says and with his mind tricks and anger problems. He's a m******. Though he says that he isn't. He is though. Remember at the end?! He fully is and I don't care what people think. He fully is one.

OMG! It is so horrible what happened to her! D:

The first thing I wanna point out is that Kira cries a lot. She cries when she is happy. She c
Jamie
Dec 18, 2014 Jamie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-manga
Volume 2 opens the doors into Rei's past and begins to show why he's as reckless as he is. Kira has more problems with an art thief over the sketch she promised to someday paint for Rei. I do find it surprising and mildly annoying that after all the effort, the sketch and painting are seemingly abandoned despite being so important. I suppose it turns out that way to show Rei's personality.

It was interesting to see Harumi make a sudden turn around after the threat at the very end of volume 1. Not
Syafiqah Rashid
The relationship between the two grows steadily on me. It gets a typical sometimes but I cant stop drooling over Rei's complexity (I happen to like unstable, bad boy like Rei but sadly I am no kind like Kira)

The rivalry between Tatsuya and Rei is quite interesting too as I feel like Tatsuya will have this second hero syndrome. Look forward to the next volume.
Spring Holbrook
This volume can be summed up neatly in one word: MELODRAMA. You learn more about the main characters, and get more insight into their problems.

Rei is suspended from school after he attempts to beat up another art student who had stolen one of Kira's compositions. Worried that Rei hasn't shown up for school since the incident, Kira goes to his apartment and they play hooky. In the course of the day, there's a suicide and Rei collapses from some kind of panic attack. Kira nearly panics also, as it
Elizabeth Frum
Jul 21, 2015 Elizabeth Frum rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So the only thing that I don't like so far is out of the two books, it seems like there have been 5 or 6 times someone has gotten cornered because they like someone else. Does this really happen every day in Japan or is this just in manga? It's annoying, and I hope we're moving past it.
Camy
Oct 11, 2015 Camy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
Liking the series more and more. While having something in their past they'd not want to think about, Kira and Rei are a different sort of couple. The art style again is pretty good. Onto the next volume then.
Victoria (Vicki) Lockett
THIS GOES BY WAY TOO FAST! and I'm getting so invested in this story. Ugh, it's been a while since an Manga has sucked me in so fully. I need to see what's going to happen.
Stephanie Colon
Jan 22, 2015 Stephanie Colon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All the issues (and then some) teens may face are covered in Mars.
Sexual harassment, suicide, sex, Academics, honesty.

Can't wait for number 3
Fyre.Katz
Dec 21, 2015 Fyre.Katz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Girl is shy, Boy isn't but there is something there that isn't meets the eye... something about the boy! He isn't as perfect as he seems!
Aleina
Feb 21, 2016 Aleina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
I love kira in the book because she reminds me a lot of me in many ways. The book series is simply amazing and heart capturing!
Sogio
Jun 05, 2015 Sogio rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i stayed up most of the night reading it. I reallllyyy liked it.
Pauline
Once again the art work is able to convey emotions that would be hard for words to describe. No printed words are needed for numerous pages of this book. I would definitely give this book four stars for the art work if the story was not so cliché.

The story continues to follow Rei and Kira through their high school days. We learn more about their respective lives and what makes them act the way they do and we also learn about side characters. I still find the book a bit on the dark side and too f
Adrya Ribeiro
Aug 31, 2015 Adrya Ribeiro rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nossa, as coisas estão ficando boas viu...
Nancy
Aug 18, 2007 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In volume two, this good-girl bad-boy romance continues to develop. As Rei and Kira grow closer they also grow into characters that are more than just the shy artist and the delinquent motorcycle rider. In this volume, we learn more about their lives and get to see some rather sweet romantic moments. Be prepared to be surprised by some of the secondary characters as well!

The second volume of Mars is a nice step up from the first, which was already enjoyable in it's own way. I hope that the serie
Nitzan Schwarz
Apr 24, 2016 Nitzan Schwarz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Re-Read: April 24, 2016
Trebro
Sep 19, 2007 Trebro rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
Date read is approximate.

This is an excellent shojo manga about a boy with a bad past that's got "bad boy" and "tragic life" mixed in about equal doses. He falls for an innocent girl, who sees something in him that no one else does. What will become of Rei and Kira?

This does have the usual angst of a shojo, but the writing and the complexity of the characters takes it a notch above the rest. I'd recommend this series to anyone, especially those who aren't big on Manga, as an example of the genr
SaturNalia
Rie and Kira grow closer. They don't believe in themselves but believe in each other. Rei is charming but lazy in school, his father wants him to attend college but he wants to race motorcycles. Kira see the goodness in him. They make each other laugh and bring out the best in the other. Their first date is cute and the first kiss is sweet. Rei's past and his feelings of guilt are revealed. Two suicides in 2 days was a bit much. Still interesting with a healthy relationship developing between Re ...more
Danica Lamphere
Feb 24, 2014 Danica Lamphere rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
Fantastic and intense manga series, had to reread it because it had been too long.
Leila Anani
In this 2nd volume of the epic 15 book romantic saga, Rei keeps skipping school until Kira goes to find him and bring him back. We learn that he had a twin who committed suicide and a couple of local suicide has brought back painful memories. Rei also goes postal when a rival student steals Kira's sketch of mother and child and passes it off as his own work.

Teen melodrama at its finest with cute artwork. If you like good girl/bad-boy high school romance this is definitely a series to check out.
Starbubbles
Jun 11, 2012 Starbubbles rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
While I loved the continous reference to Rei being Mars, or Mars-like; there was little in references that like Rei, there was more to Mars than just violence. Most don't remember that Mars and Venus had a thing too, meaning there was at least a slightly softer side to the god. I thought Kira and Rei mirrored that relationship well, though that would only be something I would pick up on. Now if only there would be a little Cupid flying around, the myth would reach completion.
Lisa
Jan 25, 2016 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Here comes the aaaaaangst!
Sarah Maddaford
This book features more bullying this time with Rei getting into a fight. There is quite a bit of blood and someone's ear gets bitten. I believe there is some language involved too. It wasn't quite what I was expecting this early in the series, but I definitely want to read the next book.
Dani
This volume was more compelling than the first. Honestly I wouldn't even have bothered but I checked them both out at the same time. I liked the twin angle and the theft of Kira's art were both spot on. This is obviously a slow build manga.

BOTTOM LINE: Better than volume 1.
  • Paradise Kiss, Vol. 4 (Paradise Kiss, #4)
  • Tramps Like Us, Volume 8
  • Kare Kano: His and Her Circumstances, Vol. 3
  • I.N.V.U.,  Volume 1
Fuyumi Soryo (惣領 冬実 Sōryō Fuyumi?, born January 6, 1959) is a Japanese manga artist from Beppu, Oita, Japan. She is a graduate of the Oita prefectural Geijutsu Midorigaoka High School.

She was born into the home of a master of the Kanze school of Noh. In her childhood she liked to draw pictures of horses and things but had no special interest in manga. While enrolled in fashion college, she happene
More about Fuyumi Soryo...

Mars (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Mars, Volume 01