Start by marking “Dear Hot Dog” as Want to Read:
Dear Hot Dog

Dear Hot Dog

Whether it’s slurping up spaghetti or catching some sun at the beach, the everyday wonders celebrated in this collection of poems will appeal to young readers.

Cleverly crafted by Mordicai Gerstein, Dear Hot Dog follows three friends from the time they wake up and brush their teeth to when they snuggle up for bed with their favorite stuffed animal. In between playing outsid
Published August 1st 2011 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about Dear Hot Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dear Hot Dog

538pm_sarahszymanski
Summary: In this skillfully crafted collection of poems about ‘everyday stuff’, readers can follow three friends through a myriad of daily doings. Whether they are eating breakfast, flying kites, or swimming these kids question, observe, and discover as they take part in their own daily adventures from morning til’ night!

The beautiful illustrations and silly images these poems produce will make this book an easy favorite for children. Because of the complex rhythm and lack of rhyme in these poe
538pm_juliejanowitz
Oct 07, 2013 538pm_juliejanowitz rated it it was amazing
This picture book contains poems about everyday objects that three friends encounter throughout their day. I love this book! I was smiling the whole time I was reading it. Gerstein cleverly personifies pants and toes through his plays on words and riddles. Colorful illustrations light up the pages of this already colorful book. With every turning page comes another laugh, another clever display of writing. The audience for Dear Hot Dog is children ages 6-9. I would use this book for a read ...more
Karlie Payne
Oct 18, 2016 Karlie Payne rated it it was amazing
Dear Hot Dog is the perfect book to use in a classroom to introduce poetry to students. It makes poems out of everyday objects and activities and would be fun for students to read, because they would be able to see the poetry in their everyday lives. I would read this book to my students and then have them write their own poem about something that happens in their lives.
Hannah Stiepleman
Oct 18, 2016 Hannah Stiepleman rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lit-shelf
Very cute book of poems that can be used either for a fun, silly poem of the day in a classroom, or to use when talking to younger students about the different kinds of poetry. I really enjoyed this book and all the silly poems.
Mercedes Martines
Oct 17, 2016 Mercedes Martines rated it really liked it
A great collection of poems that can be used in the classroom. Can be used to read aloud a short poem everyday. This book makes poetry accessible and easy for students.
Aliyah Caldas
Oct 16, 2016 Aliyah Caldas marked it as to-read
Shelves: future-classroom
Illustrations are colorful and vibrant and go along with the text perfectly. Illustrations will be a great discussion starter. Good book to use during a poetry segment.
Ashley Burnam
a fun book to use to introduce kids to poetry! funny and entertaining, it is definitely a book that students will enjoy.
Allison Leonard
Oct 13, 2016 Allison Leonard rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lae3005
A really fun and relatable book. It would be a good introduction to poetry.
Katie Fitzgerald
This poetry collection by Mordicai Gerstein contains odes to the components of a child's world. Articles of clothing, the elements, food, household objects, and weather are all represented in these free verse poems accompanied by colorful acrylic paintings.

I think the poetry speaks best for itself, so I'll share just a few of my favorite excerpts below:

From "Toothbrush":

scouring an
Barbara
Oct 26, 2011 Barbara rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Folks who think that poetry must be written about nature, love or philosophy will be in for a surprise with this book with its 22 poems inspired by ordinary everydat experiences. The poem titles themselves are brief, one or two words, and the author ponders the daily experiences of a toothbrush in "Toothbrush," the joy of warm socks on a winter's day in "Socks," the comfort of imagining adventures while tucked safely inside on a rainy day in "Rain," and the utter delight of devouring spaghetti ...more
Suzanne
Oct 05, 2013 Suzanne rated it liked it
Shelves: libs-642
Three friends spend a whole day thinking about their daily lives in the form of poems. From brushing teeth in the morning to playing, eating and sleeping again, they will inspire young readers to think in new ways.

A curriculum connection for this book would be to use it in an introductory English unit on poetry as an example of non-rhyming poems.

Some of these poems I liked more than others. But they all seemed to be from an authentic child-like voice and I will say, the ones I liked I really lik
Terri
Gerstein's latest book is a celebration of the commonplace in childhood. The poems are all written from the child's perspective and focus on everyday objects and activities as three children progress through their day. Most of the individual poems feature personification as the child narrator speaks directly to the subject while a few express the child's joy and wonder at the subject without personifying it, and teachers will find it a good tool for helping children understand the poetic device. ...more
Kelly
Aug 24, 2015 Kelly rated it really liked it
As the tells us, this poetry text is about "everyday stuff". It follows three young friends through their day and details their fascination and appreciation for different common things in their lives. From feet, and toothbrushes to pillows and spaghetti, you will be delighted to read this poetry by a Caldecott medal winner.

Many of the poems tucked in, on, and around the illustrations have clever structures, such as the "Summer Sun" versed in the rays of the sun, or the style of the personified
Jeremey Olson
Nov 26, 2012 Jeremey Olson rated it really liked it
This book is about what you do everyday or most days. this book describes everyday things such as Toothbrush, pants, toes, socks, shoes, cups, bowls, kites, air, water, summer sun, hot dogs, ice cream cones, leaves, rain, books, crayons, scissors, spaghetti, bears, light and pillows. I goes through three kids and it takes about the different ways these items are used. Read this great book and you will to learn a new use for something in the book.

Gerstein, M. (2011). Dear hot dog. New York: Abra
Stacy Ford
Jun 27, 2012 Stacy Ford rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, kennedy-2012
babyhippoface
May 26, 2012 babyhippoface rated it it was ok
I really didn't like this book. Something about his imagery gave me the creeps. Example, from the very first poem, about toothpaste: "...you go to work in the foamy, pink cave of my mouth...." Um...gross. Seriously. The endings of several other poems seemed very abrupt, like they didn't fit. They just seemed to be tacked on to the end. Let me be clear, though: it takes a lot for me to like a book of poetry. A lot. Must make me laugh out loud or tear up, pretty much, or I'm just not impressed. ...more
Heidi-Marie
I am not much of one for poetry, so I'm not the best judge there. Some clicked with me and some did not. My favorite was the hot dog poem. The best part for me was taking sometimes taking ordinary things and showing a slightly different perspective. It made the book fun. I think the book works well as a Beehive nominee, though I wonder how kids will respond to it. Will they just see the fun twist of the poems' subjects, or will they get a little lost/bored with some poems that get a bit wordy ...more
Erin
Nov 27, 2012 Erin rated it really liked it
Poetry about things that kids know like their toes and hot dogs. Does every poem work for me, educated adult reader? No. But that's fine--this book is great for what it does--introduce kids to the imagination and creativity of poetry in an accessible way and adds childlike observations like "You're nothing like worms" in an ode to spaghetti.

"Books" is my favorite poem in the book, of course.
Kelly Dahman
This selection of poetry for children is both enjoyable and educational. It provides students with different types of poetry and it does so using subjects that children can relate to (i.e. shoes, socks, kite, sun, hot dog, etc.). The illustrations, which resemble sketches with their interesting use of line, nicely compliment the text.
Pat Marrujo
Nov 28, 2012 Pat Marrujo rated it liked it
I enjoyed the simplicity of this book, but not the details.

It is a collection of poems about a simple subject like Hot Dogs, the suns, shoes etc...

Some are better than others, so it has the ability to appeal to a wide range of interests. I also didn't enjoy the weird sketch artwork. I feel it is too busy and draws unwanted attention
Miri
Sep 18, 2012 Miri rated it it was amazing
I kept avoiding this one because it's poetry. Why do I keep avoiding poetry? This one is brilliant. I love the illustrations, but the poems themselves are just genius, addressed to everyday household objects like toothbrushes and socks, as well as things in nature like leaves and the sun and light. They're funny, so kids will like them. So much fun.
Apr 28, 2012 Laura rated it liked it
A collection of poetry written about everyday objects life feet, a bowl, and crayons. Younger readers will enjoy a read aloud of the poems and Gerstein's quirky appreciation. A good addition to a strong and varied poetry collection. While this title has the potential to be a fun teaching tool, I don't see it being a popular choice for independent reading.
Angie
Jul 17, 2012 Angie rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
I liked some more than others but on the whole this was a great book of poetry that kids will enjoy.

Because come on. It's July. Haven't we all had (or at least craved?) that perfect hot dog?

Or on the other end of the spectrum ... experienced the joy of fuzzy socks on a cold winter day?

Jesika La Bryer
Nov 23, 2011 Jesika La Bryer rated it really liked it
Copyright 2011
This books is full of single and double page layouts containing different poems. It is very kid friendly about clothing, food and objects. Some poems are displayed in unique ways. One poem is about the sun and the poem lines are shaped into a sun, with the verses being the rays.
JoanVictoria
Jan 16, 2013 JoanVictoria rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-books
I admit I don't know much about poetry, but it doesn't seems like the poems in this book should be called poems. Maybe with the exception of a few, many of the poems didn't seem to rhyme or have a poetic flow.
Tracy Hora
Dec 05, 2013 Tracy Hora rated it it was amazing
Love it! I am going to use it for students who are studying poetry. It is great for visualizing. The students can guess what object the poem is about. Many of them don't say the actual object in the poem. It should be fun.
Jun 21, 2012 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Lovely poems about everyday things a child encounters (toothbrush, socks, air, spaghetti, etc.) I was hooked with the first poem about a toothbrush: "All night/dozing in your holder/you wait for for me./I give you toothpaste for breakfast,/mint,/your favorite flavor..." Sigh. Pretty AND fun!
Emerson and Theodore
Jul 13, 2014 Emerson and Theodore rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-books
Great book of poetry about every day items and experiences such as toes, spaghetti, hot dogs, the treasures in one's pockets…
This book inspired last night's dinner of buttered noodles with freshly grated parmesan reggiano. He loves it.
Andrea Wilkinson
Oct 01, 2012 Andrea Wilkinson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book, poetry
Great intro to poetry book! I love the way this book's type is varied to go along with each individual poem. Wonderful personification throughout!
Debby Baumgartner
Jan 21, 2016 Debby Baumgartner rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry
Poetry about things in a children's world. The story follows three friends from morning to night and their activities.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Mordicai Gerstein is the author and illustrator of The Man Who Walked Between the Towers, winner of the Caldecott Medal, and has had four books named New York Times Best Illustrated Books of the Year. Gerstein was born in Los Angeles in 1935. He remembers being inspired as a child by images of fine art, which his mother cut out of Life magazine, and by children’s books from the library: “I looked ...more
More about Mordicai Gerstein...