Start by marking “Revenger (John Shakespeare, #2)” as Want to Read:
Revenger (John Shakespeare, #2)

Revenger (John Shakespeare #2)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  584 ratings  ·  64 reviews
In his critically acclaimed debut thriller, Martyr, Rory Clements introduced readers to the unforgettable John Shakespeare, chief intelligencer to Queen Elizabeth I and older brother to Will.

Published (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Revenger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Revenger

Suspense Magazine
This is a tale of altered history, using John Shakespeare, the brother of William, as the sleuth. William even makes a brief appearance and plays a role. The first in this series was “Martyr” and introduced Shakespeare as an “intelligencer” for Her Majesty, the Queen of England, Elizabeth I.
As the second book opens, John has retired from a palace and political intrigue to serve as headmaster of the Margaret Woode School for Poor Boys. His first main problem is an instructor who is too harsh wit
Elisabeth
The year is 1592; four years since the Spanish Armada and five years since the last time we met John Shakespeare. I had read and enjoyed the first book so decided that I would try his second adventure.
How can the death of 2 young lovers be linked to a plot by the Earl of Essex to take over the English throne when the ageing Queen Elizabeth I finally dies, the mystery of a colony in the new world and the hunt for an elusive woman all be linked?
Also thrown into the story is a falling out between S
Elizabeth
The main character is a fictitious older brother to William Shakespeare - a conceit popular in writing lately that I don't agree with. However. Not quite as good as the first but still very interesting. The elder Shakespeare is a spy and a loyal supporter of Queen Elizabeth I. His wife is Catholic and headstrong in her faith. Two close advisors to the Queen are scheming and both have pulled Shakespeare into their conflicting plans.
Gary

Second in the series and apart from the despicable baddie folding like a cheap deck chair right at the end, it is a good read. Plenty of atmosphere for the Elizabethan period and a cast of characters who appeal enough to make you want to root for the good guys and seethe about the bad ones. I'd happily read the 3rd if there is one.
Lee Dunning
I enjoyed the first but loved this one. Felt more rounded and developed and can't wait to read the next one
Carole Tyrrell
A real page turner of a book - I read it at one sitting. The Elizabethan period was always my favourite period of history and I could recognise some of the major players at Elizabeth's court. The Earl of Essex, Robert Cecil and poor doomed Arbella Stuart.
It begins witha murder and John Shakespeare is ostensibly is to solev eit which he does later in the book. But he's an ex-intelligencer and is approached by Sir Robert Cecil to gain access to Essex's court and prevent his marriage to Arbella Stu
C.W.
Rory Clements (MARTYR) returns to the waning years of Elizabeth I's tumultuous reign in this excellent second installment of his series featuring the intelligencer John Shakespeare, older brother of the famous playwright. With the death of his former master Walsingham, Shakespeare is managing his school for boys and trying, though not very well, to contend with the religious fissures in his marriage caused by his devout Catholic wife, Catherine, who has been targeted by the fanatic persecutor, T ...more
Mieczyslaw Kasprzyk
John Shakespeare (yes, I know, I found it a bit difficult as well but William does play a small role in both the books I've read) gets set a task. It's not one he relishes but it's made totally clear that he hasn't a lot of choice. There have been claims that a survivor from the disappeared Roanoke expedition has been seen in London - totally bonkers possibility since Roanoke is in the Americas and the place is a savage land. The Earl of Essex (not a nice man) has "requested" Shakespeare's skill ...more
Paula
It seems that historical fiction set in Tudor times is the flavour of the month in the publishing world at present, though CJ Sansom's sales figures probably account for much of that - this series of books is set slightly later, in the waning days of Elizabeth's reign. Our protagonist is John Shakespeare, elder brother of the well-known playwright, and one-time intelligencer for Elizabeth's spymaster Walsingham.

In 'Revenger' Shakespeare hopes his spying days are over, as he's settled down with h
Gwen
John Shakespeare, the James Bond of Elizabethan times ? Well sort of, there's spying, double agents, intrigue, torture , sex and a bit of romance. Elizabeth is nearly 60 and not expected to live much longer. Who will succeed her, what happened to the ill fated ambition of Walter Raleigh and who exactly is the mysterious Mr McGunn? This is the Elizabethan age with the gloves off and we are shown that it may have been the golden age for some but not for the poor who were an embarrassment, Catholic ...more
Geoff
Rory Clement's second book in the John Shakespeare builds is an excellent read and an noticeable improvement on the first book Martyr. Set five years later, it sees Shakespeare employed by Robert Devereux the Earl of Essex to find a mysterious woman in London, only to soon become embroiled in a murder investigation and ultimately a mission to defend the Crown itself.

Although the story is far fetched in places it makes for a fun read with the pace rarely slowing from start to finish. There's a ho
Robin Albert
OK, historical fiction, John Shakespeare, Tudor intrique, Roanoke Colony

Now, five years later, the Queen needs Shakespeare’s services once more. Not only is England still at war with Spain, but her court is riven by savage infighting among ambitious young courtiers.

Shakespeare is summoned by Elizabeth’s cold
Margareth8537
Audiobook-read by Peter Wickham. He reads the whole series-very well
John Shakespeare is an engaging character at a fascinating time in history. Elizabeth is old and failing. Her court is, as usual, dominated by attractive young men, with no conscience while her officers try to protect her and the Realm. There is no good or bad side, as those who protect the state can be just as vicious as those who threaten it, and personal vengeance is as important to characters such as Topcliffe as it is to an
Bob
A fine work of historic fiction that realistically captured and reflected the religious bigotry and fear of the time. Court intrigues were plausible and the use of fictional and historic characters worked well.
Sheila
A good adventure-crime story, with lots of historical period detail. Very enjoyable.
Jo at Jaffareadstoo
The story opens in 1592, and England is preparing for war with Spain. Elizabeth I is an ageing queen, and with the succession uncertain there are plots against her.Intelligencer, John Shakespeare is living a quiet life, but when he is summoned by Robert Cecil, he realises his peaceful existence is threatened.Encouraged to find proof of a plot against Elizabeth, Shakespeare is drawn into a world of espionage and skulduggery.
This is another well written historical thriller - great attention to det
Hanley5545 Hanley
Liked it a bunch and as the second in the series,too. The context of the plot with all the actual characters and personalities/incidents of that critical time and place in English( and European) history are really my cup of tea!!
John Shakespeare, Will's elder brother, is our good-spy "intelligencer" and the key plot lines are close to real around the pretensions of Deveraux, aka "Essex". Stay tuned for more adventures and old Eliza is still alive and kicking when we last hear from her,as it were
Kate
A very good read, second in the John Shakespeare series.
Colette
Thoroughly enjoyed this historical thriller - it raced along a frantic pace, is packed with wonderful characters and Elizabethan Tudor period detail. Couldn't put it down except when real life unfortunately imposed! A definite rival for CJ Sansom's Matthew Shardlake series! Am looking forward to the next in the John Shakespeare series Prince.
Megan
This is only the second in a planned series starring the brother of William Shakespeare as an "intelligencer", or spy. Clements brings his world to light and creates dynamic historical characters, and provides good information in the back about the historical figures involved. The war with Spain, the violent tensions between Catholics and Protestants, and even the doomed colony of Roanoke, VA are pulled imaginitively in this murder mystery/adventure.
Sharon
Enjoyed this for the most part. I could have done without all the violence. However, violence was a way of life for some during the Middle Ages. I like books set at this time in England. I was considering the Catholic/Protestant issue: Members of both religions worship the same God, but have no tolerance of each other.

John Shakespeare is a spy. He works inside England, finding information. This is an age of intrigue and plottings.
Simon Gosden
A fine historical novel of crime and intrigue set in Elizabethan England. The quiet life of John Shakespeare is shattered by a summons from Robert Cecil, the cold but deadly young statesman who dominated the last years of the Queen’s long reign, insisting Shakespeare re-enter government service. His mission: to find vital papers, now in the possession of the Earl of Essex. A classic historical setting and a novel evokes the period superbly.
Lise
Much better than the first of the series. This book is a real page turner, maybe with a little too much violence (even if the period was extremely violent, at times Clements seems a slightly too complaisant when describing torture or other forms of violence). But that is a small caveat to what is otherwise a great read if not great literature but it is clearly not its ambition.
Ellie
Poor man's Shardlake...
Elizabeth Ferry
Second in the series featuring John Shakespeare, brother of William. Enjoyed the story and author's writing really evokes life during that time period. Am puzzled, tho', that there are 2 more in the series that were released earlier this year and are not readily available. Oh well, I'm sure they'll pop up at some point.
What if William Shakespeare's older brother was a spy who solved mysteries? That's the central conceit of Clements' mystery series, and the result is a pleasurable mix of politics, adventure, and romance. The historical individuals who appear are fascinating and believable, and I look forward to reading more.
Glenys
Second one in the John Shakespeare Elizabethan thriller series. I was gripped by this one, and enjoyed it even more than the first one (Martyr, q.v.) A real page-turner and I love the robust 16th century turns of phrase and the way the author weaves his brother Will into the plot.
Alison
Well-paced story with lots of twists and turns. John Shakespeare (brother of Will) makes a strong, sympathetic hero. The atmosphere is drawn so realistically that you are on the horse, in a dark alley, at a raffish, mocking masque. The sense of threat is heavy. Recommended
Neil
I was a bit 'iffy' about Clements' first Shakespeare book, but with this second he really hits his stride. Full of fascinating facts (e.g., the derivation of 'double-crossed'), and dripping with gore, it's a blinder!
Starting the third in the series immediately!
Jill
It started pretty slow but once it got going I had to keep reading. Set during the reign of Elizabeth I, this book follows John Shakespeare through intrigue and double crossing. He works for two prominent men of the time and risks his life to find the truth.
  • Sacrilege (Giordano Bruno #3)
  • The Demon's Parchment (Crispin Guest, #3)
  • Heartstone (Matthew Shardlake, #5)
  • A Vein of Deceit (Matthew Bartholomew, #15)
  • A Famine of Horses (Sir Robert Carey, #1)
  • The Roots of Betrayal (Clarenceux, #2)
  • Firedrake's Eye (David Becket and Simon Ames, #1)
  • The Bishop Must Die (Knights Templar, #28)
  • The Adjustment
  • Dragon's Lair (Justin de Quincy, #3)
Rory Clements has had a long and successful newspaper career, including being features editor and associate editor of Today, editor of the Daily Mail's Good Health Pages, and editor of the health section at the Evening Standard. He now writes full-time in an idyllic corner of Norfolk, England.
More about Rory Clements...
Martyr (John Shakespeare, #1) Prince (John Shakespeare, #3) Traitor (John Shakespeare, #4) The Heretics (John Shakespeare, #5) The Queen's Man (John Shakespeare, #6)