Start by marking “The Boy Who Loved Batman” as Want to Read:
The Boy Who Loved Batman

The Boy Who Loved Batman

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  168 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Is any superhero cooler than Batman? He's a crime-fighting vigilante with a tragic past, a lawless attitude, and a seemingly endless supply of high-tech gadgetry. In this fully illustrated memoir, author Michael Uslan recalls his journey from early childhood fandom through to the decades he spent on a caped crusade of his own: to bring Batman to the silver screen as the da ...more
Published August 10th 2011 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about The Boy Who Loved Batman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boy Who Loved Batman

Jacobi
I kind of loved this book. Michael Uslan is a kid who had a simple dream -- to bring Batman to the silver screen with a tone that was more authentic to the character than the 1960s TV show. He wanted to help make a dark and brooding movie that would honor Batman's legacy as left by Bob Kane, Bill Finger, and all of the other amazing talents that have worked on the character in comics for decades. This book is about Uslan making that happen.

The reason this book was so good is mainly because Usla
Mark Fallon
Did you know that for some people, their dreams really do come true? That’s the case for Michael Uslan, who fell in love with comic books as a young boy, and went on not only to write Batman comics, but produce the Batman movies.

While it helps, you don’t have to be a comic book fan to enjoy this book. It’s amazing to read about Uslan’s journey, as he chases, and ultimately fulfills, his “unrealistic” dreams. His love for life, and his love for the people in his life who supported him along the w
Marice Hill
I'm not really a comic book obsessed fan and I've as of yet to watch all the Batman movies. What made me get this book off the shelf then? I have to admit that it was solely because the authors surname starts with the letter 'U' and there is still room in the book I record what I read for authors with 'U' surnames. Choosing books this way has led me to many gems and in this book I was not disappointed.

Michael Uslan is an inspiration to anyone about following their dreams and keeping going even w
Sherry
An unexpected delight. My husband brought it back from the library and I stole it before he could get his hands on it. I'm so glad I did. Some language, but for some odd reason it seemed to be appropriate and even funny here. Now if only Tim Burton would get crackin' on his memoirs.
Paul  Hankins
Super example of what memoir might look like in the secondary classroom with some reader advisory. Comic and graphic novel readers would line up around the door to see a book like this one. I have a colleague that is just waiting for the first day of school to grab this one up!
A.K. Adler
If you are of an age where you can remember the excitement of the release of Tim Burton's original 1989 Batman movie, and were a fan of comic books for a decade or two leading up to that point, then it's pretty much impossible not to be swept up with this memoir. It's the tale of a boy who, so affronted by the silliness of the 1966 Batman TV show and how it distorted the public perception of Batman, built a life and career devoted to the goal of bringing the dark, proper version of Batman to cin ...more
Andrew
Picked this up on a whim and I'm glad I did. What I was expecting to be a behind-the-scenes look at the making of the Batman movie franchise turned out to be that but much more. If you're a fan of comic book history then I highly recommend this book as Michael Uslan has lived a life steeped in it. At times his almost conversational writing style turned me off, but the stories he tells kept me reading. He was a child during the Golden Age of comics, and played a part in the Silver Age while worki ...more
Andrew
I picked this up as a light read from the library, and was pleasantly surprised to find I loved it. A great memoir about a boy who loved comic books, developed a dream as a young man to bring a dark and serious Batman to the screen (due in part to the campy 1960s interpretation), and enjoyed some incredible opportunities before making his vision a reality with the 1989 release of "Batman" starring Michael Keaton.

A recommended read for anyone who loves something a great deal, takes a lot of criti
Shannon
Sep 04, 2011 Shannon rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Shannon by: Michael Uslan
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a great book that discusses Uslan's personal history with comics, specifically Batman. I got to hear Michael Uslan speak at 2011 Comic con, and As soon as his book came out I grabbed it. He is the reason we have serious comic book movies today. Without him, we would be stuck with the campy Batman from the 60's. Michael Uslan practically invented Geek Cred, attending the first Comic Convention in New York, Teaching the first Comic Book Class, Writing the first book about Comics, and being ...more
Eric Klee
I must admit that, although I've read Batman comics since the early 1980s, am familiar with writers and artists, am a big movie fan, and seen all of the Batman movies multiple times, I had never before heard of Michael Uslan. That didn't stop me from reading this book, though. The colorful cover and subject matter immediately drew my attention.

At first I thought Uslan was just a huge fan of comic books and their characters. I wasn't aware of the magnitude of his contributions to comics and super
Peter
If you have ever had a hobby or passion that didn’t really meet up with your environment or wasn’t embraced by the world around you, The Boy Who Loved Batman will bring an immediate smile to your face. The power of reflection is what really drives this book and makes it interesting. You can’t look forward, you can only look back. Seeing how things turned out, events that shaped Uslan and the value of the comic books he purchased in todays market is what make the book fun. This is as motivating a ...more
Tim Lapetino
Christopher
Wow, this was much more interesting than I thought it would be. Why? As a comic book fan, Uslan pretty much won life. And he worked hard for it. I was a little disappointed though that the book builds to the 1989 Batman movie, and then Uslan spends so little time on the making of the movie! Other than that, the early stories of meeting comic legends were so awesome.we can all learn something from Uslan's tenacity.
Nicky Wheeler-Nicholson
Michael's life-long love affair with comics and the career path that opened for him as a result is an inspiring, uplifting and fun read. He was the first person to teach a comics course at a university and things went from there. The book is organized in a somewhat non-linear fashion with lots of sidebars, photos and interesting facts as well as his own story as the producer of all the Batman films. Michael often speaks to students and he is as exciting to hear as he is in telling his story in t ...more
David
This is a fun and insightful read about a true Batman fan and his attempts to bring a serious Batman film to the big screen which finally came to pass in 1989. Uslan details his own life starting with his Jersey boyhood and his interest in The Dark Knight from a early age. He also covers his meetings with famous comic creators and how difficult it was to get a Batman film made. I have to say also that Uslan's rundown of his top 20 Batman stories is pretty close to my own. In the end this a good ...more
Tom English
Uslan's humorous and inspiring story of his evolution from comic book geek to successful writer/producer is a work that fires on all cylinders. It's a nostalgic look back at the early days of fandom (and his life in a close-knit Jewish family); it's also a funny and often touching record of his struggles and triumphs which culminated in his producing the ultimate film versions of his childhood hero, Batman -- excuse me, that's THE Batman. A fast, fun read with tons of photos and art, and a must- ...more
Brian Callahan
I can totally relate to Mr. Uslan in regards to his love for comic books and superheroes. I was born about the time Marvel truly came to life, 1961. Sadly, I lack the charisma and talent of Mr. Uslan so I never learned how to make a career out of my love for superheroes. I thank him for bringing his vision of the Batman to the big screen.
Jeff Wetherington
I met Michael 2 weeks ago at a Comic Book Convention in Asbury Park where I heard him speak at a presentation and he autographed this book for me. I finally had a chance to start reading it this afternoon and could not put it down; finishing reading it in 3 1/2 hours. A great story of his perseverance through the years to realize his dream.
RONALD E ROOKS
WOW! WHEW! YEAH!

it's hard to imagine a life like the authors,where, a seemingly predetermined outcome, driven by a love of imaginary adventure, requires struggles that only superhuman dedication can overcome.
Jessi
inspiring story about achieving your dreams, no matter how far-fetched they seem. reader beware: you will walk away wanting to watch a batman marathon! I do wish once the story got the creating the movies, it got into the details a little more, but that may have to be a whole 'nother book.
Robert Frost
Very disappointing book. The writing is not strong and the story is not what people would think. Uslan dedicates a couple of pages to the first Batman film, none to the next three, and then a brief section about the Nolan films. I really felt like I wasted my time and money with this book.
Mark

While this could have been an interesting book, the author did not have a firm grasp on what he wanted to write. Therefore, the book is part memoir, part history of comics, part examination of how a film is made, and so forth. I ended up skimming the book.
David Sanz
La vida de Michael Uslan, centrada en Batman. No sé si creerme todo lo que cuenta. Parece muy idealizado todo y con un fin. Lo veo tan peliculero que hasta parece irreal. Lo más divertido, las partes en las que habla de la revalorización de cómics.
George
This book is ripe full of fun comic and movie tidbits, and has an honestly uplifting story. This man is so optimistic and positively driven it's a very fun read. I enjoyed it al the more because of my own mild obsession with Batman.
Mr. Kim
A fun look at Uslan's reverence for Batman and comic books, in general. However, I do wish more time was spent on detailing the creative process behind all of the Batman films.
Natalie
Michael Uslan's life story is fascinating and inspiring, and he writes in such an entertaining and playful way, you can't help but get caught up in his enthusiasm.
Ralph Carlson
An excellent read. It brought back memories of my childhood comic book reading days, although I still read comic books once in a while. I still like Batman.
Robert
Author's tale of determination to have the true version of The Batman produced as a movie.
Mona F
I really enjoyed this book. You don't have to be a comic book fan to enjoy this book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Peter Spier's Rain
  • Batman Returns
  • Batman '66, Vol. 1
  • We Are All in the Dumps with Jack and Guy
  • Mail-Order Mysteries: Real Stuff from Old Comic Book Ads!
  • Batman: Bruce Wayne, Fugitive, Vol. 3
  • The Dot and the Line: A Romance in Lower Mathematics
  • The White House Boys: An American Tragedy
Michael E. Uslan (born June 2, 1952) is a producer of the Batman movies and was the first instructor to teach an accredited course on comic book folklore at any university.

Uslan is best known as a producer of all of the modern Batman films to date, starting with Tim Burton's 1989 film, and continuing to 2012's The Dark Knight Rises and also including various feature-length films based on the Batma
More about Michael E. Uslan...
Archie: The Married Life Book 1 Archie: The Wedding Volume 1 Batman: Detective No. 27 Archie Marries Veronica/Archie Marries Betty Archie - Le mariage, #3