The Witches of the Glass Castle

The Witches of the Glass Castle

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  86 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Mia’s life is thrown through a loop when she discovers her family secret — that she and her brother Dino are witches. After they are sent away to study their craft, they begin down a path that will change their lives forever.

Published September 28th 2011 by Book Guild Publishing

Divergent by Veronica RothUnearthly by Cynthia HandWither by Lauren DeStefanoAcross the Universe by Beth RevisStarcrossed by Josephine Angelini
YA Debuts 2011
87th out of 335 books — 1,242 voters
Hex Hall by Rachel HawkinsDemonglass by Rachel HawkinsSpell Bound by Rachel HawkinsHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingJinx by Meg Cabot
Young Adult Novels with Witches
14th out of 114 books — 98 voters

More lists with this book...

Sam

Witches of the Glass Castle is a young-adult fantasy novel where main characters Mia and Dino Bicks are sent away to Wendolyn's Glass Castle to learn to control their newly revealed powers. At the castle, they learn there are two sets of witches; the Arcana and the Hunters. Mia and Dino are Arcana and they soon discover the only Hunters at the castle keep to themselves. Hunters are witches bred as warriors who, like the Arcana, draw their powers from nature, but their power is of a slig...more
(Source: Purchased from Amazon – used.)
16-year-old Mia and 17-year-old Dino are siblings, and they’ve just survived a fire in their basement. A fire that was started when Mia read some strange words that were written on the wall down there.
Their mother and aunt don’t seem in the least concerned about the fire though, and instead tell them that they are witches!

Mia and Dino are then taken to a strange glass castle owned by a woman called Wendolyn, and left there to learn about witchcraft.
Dino see...more
Gabriella Lepore
Nov 01, 2011 Gabriella Lepore rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Mia’s life is thrown through a loop when she discovers her family secret— that she and her brother Dino are witches. After they are sent away to study their craft, they begin down a path that will change their lives forever.
Suddenly thrust into a world where handsome warriors command the power of nature and people’s thoughts and actions can be manipulated at will, Mia and Dino struggle to navigate their own allegiances and do what they know to be right when everything around them seems beyond t...more
Carly
The Witches of the Glass Castle is a really fresh, exciting witchy story that I hope will kick start a brand new series. It is brilliantly written, really well thought out and put together. The storyline is fantastic and reeled me in from the first chapter, it is peppered with twists and turns and is definitely different from everything else in the genre out there at the minute.

When sixteen year old Mia reads the writing on the wall in the basement of her house, everything in her life is turned...more
Faye {Daydreaming_Star}
This review was originally posted on my blog on 28/05/2012, here

The only problem I had with this book is that it took me too long to actually pick it up and read it. This book had me well and truly captivated from the very first page until the very last one. It starts with a bang, quite literally, and I was just instantly pulled into the story, wanting to know more. It’s a magnificent story that will tug at your heart while you bite your tongue, just wishing you could jump into the world and hel...more
Alex Connolly
This is a story about siblings who discover they are witches and have to learn how to control their new found powers. It’s an engaging read, but felt perhaps a bit rushed for me personally.

I think the start really threw me when I first picked this up. You’re thrown straightaway into the story and, for me, this requires a really obvious danger or lots of action. Instead, we were told there was danger and didn’t really see anything. After this first hiccup I was fine and the story started to draw...more
Himesugar
Taken from

Brother and sister find out they aren't who they think they are. Their lives change when they find out they're witches and they have to go live at the Glass Castle, a place where witches go to learn to use their skills. Dino and Mia have different powers and learning what they are will come easier to one than the other.
This story is written really well, the relationship between Dino and Mia is realistic, the typical brother and sister way, funny comments...more
Randi
Proserpine
WOW

Great debute novel, you should keep an open eyes on the new author : Gabriella Leprone.

The summary wasn't really catchy, I didn't even expected this book to be good, maybe something like Harry Potter but less elaborated.... Well I was totally wrong! As a cover whore I didn't find this book attractive: if you want me to read YA the cover HAVE to draw the attention (for me!). But then I started to read the prologue and that's all it took to bring me to the edge of my chair and wanted to know m...more
CαthεεBooks
Come by my blog, Forever Lost in Books, for MORE reviews, giveaways, interviews and memes!

Actual rating : 4.5 stars!

My Opinion :

The Witches of the Glass Castle is a remarkable debut that will leave you craving for more (and I mean it)

When I picked up this book, I was really hopeful that I would like it (yep). The premise sounded great (and even awesome), and the cover looked pretty and simple. As I stepped into the freakishly amazing world of this book, I couldn't help but start believing in it...more
Krystal
Mia and Dino learn they are witches and must be able to harness and use their powers. This book will lead the reader straight into action. The reader will not have time for a boring history portion or background filler information. The reader will be guided through the novel via two characters with alternating view points, Mia and Dino-with more emphasis on Mia's character. The reader will likely have an easier time connecting with Mia than Dino. Dino appears harsher and not as easy to relate to...more
Kari
**1 Star**

I received this book through Goodreads' First-reads giveaways and was very excited to start reading it.

However, I just couldn't finish it. I couldn't get into the book or the story line. Normally I push through to the end of books even if I don't like them, just because I want to know what happens at the end. I couldn't get into this book enough to care to push through.

The main characters (Mia & Dino) aren't believable or likable. I understand that there are 2 main segments of wi...more
Nikki Lauren
I recieved this YA book as part of the first-reads program from Goodreads and was excited to dive in and get to know these characters. This magical coming of age, and power, story set in a summer retreat called the Glass Castle was a fast and enjoyable read. Reminiscent of the darker Harry Potter books and similiar to the magical instructional institution of Lev Grossman's The Magicians (minus the adult content)the forces of good and evil,or good magic versus dark magic, are the focus of the Gl...more
Sophie
Thanks to goodreads First Reads for the free copy of this book.

This was a bit of a disappointment. The beginning started out well - it was engaging, I was drawn to the characters... but I didn't feel like the setup was ever finished. Mom and Auntie drop the kids off mysteriously at a castle, and adventure ensues. My connection to the characters didn't deepen, and I was really confused by the magic system. The castle is a school? But there are no classes. And we see everything through Mia's eyes...more
CPW
This book pulls you in quite nicely, gets its hooks right into you, but as you read you start to notice little flaws that stick out and may bug you.

There are also times when you may want to slap the characters because they have no sense at all. Then at some point you tend to feel a little confused about where each character stands.

When you get to the end, its a little predictable, but if you are like me you tend to have to finish the book even if its not your favorite. I tend to need closure.

All...more
Jiaxin
The characters are captivating, and the plot is good. I hoped when I first saw this book that I was going to like it, and well I truly did :D I'm really into all these witchcraft-in things and read a lot of books in this theme, although some of the conflicts were predictable, a majority of the story was exciting and well-written. I hope the author would continue to write novels similar to this, and I recommend many people to read this.
Erika
I won this book from Goodreads First Reads!!!!!

This book was very good. I really like it a lot. I love reading about witches and this is one of the better ones that I have read!!

This book is about a brother and sister who find out that they are witches. They have to go to the Glass Castle to learn how to control and use their powers.

Over all this was a great read and I really loved the characters!
Melanie
I absolutely loved this story! It was a refreshing twist on a story about witches and it had me hooked to the end. I don't often come across male witches so a brother and sister was an interesting idea and the array of different powers they could have had my imagination working. I certainly hope there will be another book to this story because I need to know what happens next! Highly recommended.
Diane
Dec 15, 2011 Diane rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: anyone looking for a refreshing twist on paranormal YA
I really enjoyed this book. I was a little worried about predictability, and there was some, but what I enjoyed most of all was the the interesting world that the author set up. I also enjoyed the relationship with Dino and Mia. I like the lessons about love inspite of trouble.
I am thouroughly looking forward to learning more about mia and Dino, and the rest of the characters in this story.
KyBunnies
The book was a goodreads.com first read contest win.

Wow this was a great debut book. Very interesting book about witches. I enjoyed the story about the two sisters and how they had to learn there craft. This author has written a great young adult book. I would even go so far at to say that ages 13 and above would enjoy this book.

Kim Oyston
This book was recommended to me by a friend. From the first paragraph, I was hooked. The characters really draw you into the story. I found it difficult to put the book down. My only complaint is that the book had to end. I look forward to Gabriella's next book.
Cristen
***First Reads Give Away***

This was not a bad young witches story, some of the writing felt a bit contrived, but the characters were engaging. I was motivated to find out what happened. All in all, a pretty decent debut novel.
Priyashini
Great storyline about witchcraft that keeps me curious till the end of the book. Comprehensive language makes the book more enjoyable. I love this book!
Hexe
Totally different from what I expected. It didn't start off too bad but the style and the increasing level of over-dramatic exaggeration added to every single dialogue made it quite unbearable towards the end.
Liz
Won this book as a First Reads giveaway. This is a young adult book, kind of reminded me of the "Twilight" Series except with witches instead of vampires. Young teen girls will probably love this.
Louise Walsh
Loved this book! Wonderful read! To the author I say, please keep writing more books like this one! I would recommend this book to fellow bookworks.

*Won on Goodreads First Reads*
Staisha
I really enjoyed the plot line and the development of the characters. They really came to life. I do wish the plot would have been little more developed.
Danjoss
Fantastic book! Great for people that love Harry Potter, I read it within 1 day, I couldn't put it down and it is one of the best books I have ever read! :)
Ann
Michelle
This book is awesome. A wonderful romance with witches and problems . Makes people want to continue reading. Infatuated by this book
  • Being Human
  • The Day of First Sun (Annie Loves Cham, #1)
  • Josephine Lost
  • Pilgrim of the Sky
  • Blood of Eden
  • Blindsight (Mirus, #1.3)
  • Out of Breath  (The Lithia Trilogy, #1)
  • Thief of Hope
  • Vision
  • Glimmers
  • The Apocalypse Gene
  • Shepherd's Moon (The Shepherds, #1)
  • Destiny (Destiny, #1)
  • Cameron's Court
  • Bound (Unleashed #1)
  • Dragon Aster (Dragon Aster Trilogy, #1)
  • Ordained (The Immortal Archives, #1)
  • Other Waters: A Novel