Start by marking “The God of Intimacy and Action: Reconnecting Ancient Spiritual Practices, Evangelism, and Justice” as Want to Read:

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  55 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Praise for "The God of Intimacy and Action""Tony Campolo...and Mary Darling...are like gunpowder and a spark. The result is a dynamite book that many have been waiting a long time for."
--"Relevant Magazine"

"In 25 years, when we look back as journalists chronicling this era of religious reawakening--this book likely will turn up as a classic....This book is both a manifesto
Published December 21st 2010 by Jossey-Bass (first published July 9th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The God of Intimacy and Action, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The God of Intimacy and Action

Kit
I bought this book because of Tony Campolo, so I suppose it's not surprising that I was a little disappointed, since he only wrote small parts (the first 36 pages and a little bit at the end). The book is intended to be an explanation of how traditional spiritual practices can inform justice work in the world and vice versa. The explanations of the spiritual practices (centering prayer, lectio divina, and the prayer of examen) are clear if boring. But for a book that's supposed to connect spirit ...more
David Meldrum
If you're both a teenager and a Christian, it's likely that there are some far-off Christians who have a big impact on you. They may be speakers, writers, singers or something else ... but these are the people whose very existence convinces you that there's something in this, that it's going to be worth sticking with it. American preacher (and, I discovered later, sociologist - even though for a while I didn't know what one of those was) Tony Campolo was one of these. He wrote a handful of books ...more
Kelly
I absolutely love this book. It inspired me deeply by putting words around how I want to live the rest of my life. I read this once a year.
Deanna Nickels
This book was assigned reading for a conference-wide event with Jim Winkler, General Secretary of the General Board of Church and Society of the United Methodist Churxh. It's not 'fun reading' but was excellent preparation for this action-related event. It connected spirituality with acting for justice ... so United Methodist! John Wesley was surely proud!
Lzarr
This is a great apologetic on why social justice is important - not something I needed an apologetic for, but it was encouraging to read an articulate and thoughtful explication on a topic of such personal interest.
Francine
This is a powerful book...don't remember how I came across it but it came into my life at just the right time. It deserves a second reading just to campture more of it.
Lisa Greer
It is good to see Campolo writing from a different angle. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and think adding some contemplation/stillness/silence into one's day is good for anybody.
Alaina
This book has been very insightful... it's written half by Tony Campolo and half by Mary Albert Darling (who was trained in Spiritual Direction in the Jesuit Tradtion).
Julie
learned a lot about historical christian practices of studying, meditating on God's word and prayer.
Justin Gaynor
Great insights and helpful in my prayer life as I learn to be always in prayer.
Mike-sibil Kuruvilla
Mike-sibil Kuruvilla marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Joy
Joy marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Liz Goble
Liz Goble marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Michel Duarte
Michel Duarte is currently reading it
Oct 23, 2014
Soo Choo
Soo Choo marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Carol Schomas
Carol Schomas marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Sheila Wilkinson
Sheila Wilkinson marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Kimberly
Kimberly marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
writer...
writer... marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2014
Michael Richards
Michael Richards marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Adventures in Missing the Point Red Letter Christians: A Christian's Guide to Faith and Politics, a Citizen's Guide to Faith and Politics Speaking My Mind: The Radical Evangelical Prophet Tackles the Tough Issues Christians Are Afraid to Face Letters To A Young Evangelical Let Me Tell You A Story Life Lessons From Unexpected Places And Unlikely People