Start by marking “The Montmartre Investigation” as Want to Read:
The Montmartre Investigation

The Montmartre Investigation (Victor Legris #3)

3.3 of 5 stars 3.30  ·  rating details  ·  242 ratings  ·  41 reviews
The fast-paced and gripping third title in the bestselling Victor Legris mystery series

Paris, November 1891: The body of a barefoot young woman dressed in red is discovered on Boulevard Montmartre. She has been strangled and her face horribly disfigured. That same day a single red shoe is delivered to Victor Legris's Parisian bookshop by a goatherd. Suspecting more than ju
Published August 30th 2011 by Minotaur Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Montmartre Investigation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Montmartre Investigation

This is the third mystery in the Victor Legris series and my favorite so far. The mystery is interesting as are the new characters introduced in connection with it. But my main enjoyment is from the fascinating dynamics between the characters. This is a series that especially needs to be read in order for that reason. Set in 1891, there are some fascinating scenes in Paris including a visit to Le Moulin-Rouge and other cabarets.
Claude Izner is the collective pseudonym of two bookseller sisters, Liliane Korb and Laurence Lefevre, both of whom are second-hand booksellers along the Seine and, what is more, two enthusiasts on Paris during the fin-de-siècle. The Montmartre Investigation: A Victor Legris Mystery is the third of their Victor Legris mysteries (himself a bookseller), and, like the other two, shares in their zest and intricate plotting.

Although I am at times put off by the complexity of the tale, I cannot help b
Kristine Brancolini
I really like this historical series set in Paris, but The Montmartre Investigation kind of fell apart for me at the end. The resolution of the mystery lacked any dramatic tension. No suspense. The murderer was revealed and arrested. Period. I kept rereading to see if I missed something. Nope. That was it.

I started out really liking the book, especially the Montmartre setting, among the nightclubs and demimonde of late-nineteenth century Paris. But the plot was a little too far-fetched for me a
Barbara Valotto
Un discreto giallo ideale come lettura estiva.
Once again, Victor Legris seems to stumble into a murder investigation and keep it all running along nicely while keeping the bookshop going, courting Tasha-the-painter and discovering the nightlife of Montmartre. As the years have gone by, Victor is getting better at detection but despite his attempts to be Holmes-like in his deduction he is more intuitive, more likely to be led astray by red herrings but still inclined to stumble and bumble his way into solutions.

In this, his third outing fro
A great detective story that had me well hooked. After two previous books, the characters now feel like old friends and I really felt, investigated and lived with them. The mystery it self is pretty good; though the sometimes staggering number of names and a plethora of Paris street names did confuse at times.

Over all, a pretty great mystery novel I would recommend to anyone with even a passing interest in La Belle Époque, art or, most of all, the wonderfully bohemian café-concert of the time (t
Hat mir leider nicht so gut gefallen, mit Ach und Krach gibts 2 Sterne von mir. Erstmal zum Positiven. Ganz gut hat mir das drumherum gefallen. Die Geschichte spielt Ende 19. Jahrhundert in Paris. Die Hauptfigut ist Viktor Legris ein Buchhaendler, der nebenbei mit seinem Gehilfen zum Detektiv wird. Seine Freundin ist Malerin und somit taucht der Leser ein in die Welt des Moulin Rouge, der Dichter und Maler. Eigentlich die besten Vorraussetzungen fuer einen schoenen Roman...ABER ich habe erstmal ...more
Another Victor Legris mystery. The belle epoque. Twists and turns. Romance. Death. Omnibuses. The Moulin Rouge. Adoption. Reading. Writing. Painting. Success. Red shoes from London. Yeah. There's a lot going on here. Read this in one sitting or reread many paragraphs, or even pages. Still infatuated with this sister act calling themselves Claude Izner. Darn good. Translators Garcia and Reid are poets in disguise. Or maybe painters. Oh HA!
Enjoyable novel that reads like a catalogue of Parisian night life in the 1890's.

Unfortunately with the limelight being on Paris itself, the detective story is often just an excuse to visit several key places in the capital. The writing style is also a bit peculiar, (although it might have been done this way to add a vintage vaudeville atmosphere to the story), as characters often speak their thoughts aloud and move from one place to the next without transition...
Auntie Pam
È il terzo libro con l'aspirante detective e libraio Victor Legris ma è il primo della serie che ho letto e mi domando perché ho aspettato così tanto tempo per dargli un'occasione. Nonostante sia un giallo pieno di riferimenti toponomastici di Parigi e di artisti dell'epoca, la lettura è scorrevole e piacevole. Ogni volta che veniva nominato un pittore o un libro dell'epoca non potevo far altro che andare indietro con la memoria e vedere cosa mi ricordassi a riguardo.
Come nel primo libro della serie, anche in questo romanzo la città di Parigi agli inizi del 900 è descritta benissimo, con attenzione e amore. Le autrici sono bravissime a ricostruire l'atmosfera di quel periodo, mischiando personaggi immaginari a grandi personalità della storia, dell'arte, della musica ecc. Le scene al Moulin Rouge e allo Chat Noir danno veramente l'impressione di essere presenti sul luogo. Però la storia non mi è piaciuta molto, mi sembra ricalchi molto la struttura del primo ...more
This is the best so far. Nice to have Kenji's relationships clarified & the plot was easier to follow. I still get rather frustrated with Victor & his jealous fits but the setting compensates. Translation is clunky. Wouldn't mind trying these in French...
Alessandro Maiucchi
Si tratta di un affresco della Parigi di fine '800, nella quale un libraio investigatore ci accompagna per mano. La storia è molto carina, ma il fantastico lavoro sul "viaggio nel tempo" rappresenta un ulteriore vantaggio. Aggiungete a questo il fatto che esistono altri romanzi con lo stesso protagonista... e correte in libreria a scoprirne di più!
Lo accosterei, per la perfezione dell'ambientazione, a L'alienista di Caleb Carr.
I personaggi sono ben delineati, accanto al libraio c'è il commesso c
Elizabeth Quinn
Another Christmas gift and a big disappointment. I found the book quite difficult to read. The story seemed disjointed, unfolding in a herky-jerky way -- flashing here to a victim, here to a killer, here to a detective, with no thread bringing them all together. In terms of setting and characters, the novel offers a belle epoque greatest hits -- Le Chat Noir, check; an impressionist painter, check; -- places and people who were pretty much beside the point in terms of the mystery. Perhaps the pr ...more
I felt like it bounced around quite a bit. Often I didn't really know who was talking or what was happening.

It was also darker than I tend to like in a mystery.
Libro carino, nulla di più! è il primo della serie che leggo, anche se si tratta del terzo libro in ordine cronologico, ma non mi ha entusiasmato eccessivamente!non so se ne leggerò un altro!L'intrigo dell'omicidio è molto interessante e ben studiato, ti tiene in suspense per tutto il libro...peccato che poi il finale e la soluzione venga liquidata un po troppo rapidamente a mio parere!inoltre ho trovato sopratutto l'inizio del libro davvero difficile da leggere...troppo storico e troppi riferim ...more
Toujours bien ficelé, mais un peu vieillot
Marina Herriman
I didn't like this one as much as the others.
What a stooge I am: to have thought that the people and events in Moulin Rouge! (the movie) were fictitious. The Montmartre Investigation taught me much about Parisian nightlife when the cancan was "hot stuff." Let's just say I'm happy to live a much slower, quieter life.

In truth, this is my least favorite Victor Legris mystery to date because the first victim could have been a young adult I know. Stinkin' teenage naivety!
Picked up his earlier novel, The Disappearance at Père Lachaise, and while not wowed by it, liked Claude Izner enough as a story-teller to pick this one up at the library. I've finished it now, and it was certainly pleasant and I love this period in French history enough to feel kindly disposed towards the author/book. I found the prose to be less choppy and better. Still just a standard mystery.
Nick Duretta
Pleasant enough mystery set in Paris of the 1890s. Bookseller Victor Legris and his assistant (and son) Joseph surreptitiously investigate a series of murders near their bookshop, their efforts taking them, among other places, to the new Moulin Rouge where the can-can and the art of Toulouse Latrec are scandalizing audiences. As a vignette of the period, it's good; as a mystery, just okay.
Initially I didn't like the book as much as the others in the Victor Legris series but what I really like about this series is that I rarely guess the ending.

For me, characters and setting are what makes an interesting read and I can imagine this being a movie. It's set in the Belle Epoque era which is one of my favorite periods and I enjoyed reading about the Moulin Rouge
E mah, noiosino. Anche un po' complicato da seguire, forse perchè lo leggevo con la palpebra calante, giusto prima di dormire. Non mi è piaciuto granchè, anche se è pieno di riferimenti culturali (le note a piè pagina, che però a me danno più fastidio che altro perchè interrompono la lettura). Bella l'ambientazione però, la rievocazione della vita parigina di fine secolo.
On retrouve avec plaisir Victor et ses acolytes. Vocabulaire riche.

Le roman est articulé comme les précédents: mêmes ellipses entre deux paragraphes (on saute du coq à l'âne).

Malgré mon attrait pour l'époque (ainsi que Paris), il y a quelques longueurs.

La petite postface est toujours la bienvenue (petit laïus sur la société de l'époque).
This was a fast read. It had a good feel for the period, belle epoque, and included a lot of historical characters and history (via notes at the end.) A little map was included. Being here in Paris, the locale of the story, made it fun. Not having read the first two in the series wasn't a problem in terms of the characters.
Carol Eshaghy
This the third mystery I have read in this series. They all take place in the 1800's in Paris and have real characters from the time period incorporated into the stories. This one takes place in the cabarets including the Moulin Rouge. The three main characters work in a book store and solve the cases.
Paris in the 1890's-the Moulin Rouge and La Chat Noir-lot of bodies turning up in the most interesting places-book shop employees, and twisted murder mystery-pretty much everything you'd need in a good mystery! This was a lot of fun, and I'll now have to get the first two books in this series.
Late 19th century murder mystery set in Paris. I found the plot hard to follow, because there were too many characters, and the action tended to shift without warning. Also, the author didn't do a great job of describing the setting, so the book didn't really draw the reader in.
There are a lot of enjoyable details about Parisian life in this mystery series, such as sketches of the Moulin Rouge and old bookstores, but the pleasure is diluted by the oddly stilted writing, or maybe it's the translation, littered with outdated British idioms.
  • The Cavalier of the Apocalypse (Aristide Ravel, #1)
  • Se ti abbraccio non aver paura: Il viaggio di Franco e Andrea
  • A Corpse in Shining Armour (Liberty Lane, #3)
  • The Man with the Lead Stomach (Nicolas Le Floch, #2)
  • Paris Under Water: How the City of Light Survived the Great Flood of 1910
  • Śmierć w Breslau
  • The Mercury Visions of Louis Daguerre
  • The Mosaic Crimes (Dante Alighieri, #2)
  • Zia Antonia sapeva di menta
  • The Crime of Sylvestre Bonnard
  • The Alchemy of Murder (Nellie Bly, #1)
  • Where the Light Falls
  • La piramide del caffè
  • A Man in Uniform: A Novel
  • One Blood
  • Dreaming in French: The Paris Years of Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy, Susan Sontag, and Angela Davis
  • The Crypt Thief
  • Maigret And The Idle Burglar
Pseudonym of Liliane Korb (1940) and her sister Laurence Korb (1951) known as well as Laurence Lefèvre.

More about Claude Izner...

Victor Legris (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Murder on the Eiffel Tower (Victor Legris, #1)
  • The Père-Lachaise Mystery (Victor Legris, #2)
  • The Marais Assassin (Victor Legris, #4)
  • The Predator Of Batignolles (Victor Legris, #5)
  • Le Talisman de la Villette (Victor Legris, #6)
  • Rendez-vous Passage d'Enfer (Victor Legris, #7)
  • La Momie de la Butte-aux-Cailles (Victor Legris, #8)
  • Le Petit Homme de l'Opéra (Victor Legris, #9)
  • Les Souliers Bruns du Quai Voltaire (Victor Legris, #10)
  • Minuit, Impasse du Cadran (Victor Legris, #11)
Murder on the Eiffel Tower (Victor Legris, #1) The Père-Lachaise Mystery (Victor Legris, #2) The Marais Assassin (Victor Legris, #4) The Predator Of Batignolles (Victor Legris, #5) Le Talisman de la Villette (Victor Legris, #6)