Start by marking “Poems by Emily Dickinson, Series One” as Want to Read:
Poems by Emily Dickinson, Series One

Poems by Emily Dickinson, Series One (Poems by Emily Dickinson #1)

4.05  ·  Rating Details ·  1,005 Ratings  ·  52 Reviews
This edition is written in English. However, there is a running Japanese thesaurus at the bottom of each page for the more difficult English words highlighted in the text. There are many editions of Poems of Emily Dickinson, Series 1. This edition would be useful if you would like to enrich your Japanese-English vocabulary, whether for self-improvement or for preparation i ...more
Published March 24th 2011 (first published 1924)

To ask other readers questions about Poems by Emily Dickinson, Series One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poems by Emily Dickinson, Series One

Vipassana
Nov 10, 2014 Vipassana rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
I reason, earth is short,
And anguish absolute,
And many hurt;

I reason, we could die:
The best vitality
Cannot excel decay;

I reason that in heaven
Somehow, it will be even,
Some new equation given;
But what of that?

To review Emily's poetry feels like a slight injustice. It is not meant to be explained, but pondered within yourself. As, I read her poems, moments of my life flashed by. Not what was happening in those moments, but what I felt then. I wonder how she does
Ken Moten
Jul 31, 2012 Ken Moten rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry-stuff
I had no time to hate, because
The grave would hinder me,
And life was not so ample I
Could finish enmity.

Nor had I time to love ; but since
Some industry must be,
The little toil of love, I thought,
Was large enough for me.

I have repeated from time to time on this site that I was not a big fan of 19th century literature as far as America and western Europe were concerned. That even someone who reads the classics like me found it out of my toleration. Well, even I can have exceptions and the poetry o
d
Jan 06, 2017 d rated it liked it
I hide myself within my flower,
That wearing on your breast,
You, unsuspecting, wear me too--
And angels know the rest.
I hide myself within my flower,
That, fading from your vase,
You, unsuspecting, feel for me
Almost a loneliness.
- VII
Grace
Apr 19, 2017 Grace rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics, poetry
Emily Dickinson is one of my favorite poets. Her poems can be more spiritual than most, but she has very unique descriptions and how she sees the world. Her poems are very quick to read and are easy on the eyes. I can guarantee that will enjoy some of her poems! I will definitely be reading her second and third series!!
Dipika Desaboyina
Aug 28, 2016 Dipika Desaboyina rated it really liked it
Emily Dickinson's verse infects you like an unsuspecting bacterium. My thoughts realigned instinctively into strings of unbalanced rhythm, for a while, after I was done reading this volume and it was amusing and disarming at the same time. In a Library was the first of a long list of poems from this book, that I fell in an endearing love with. The last couple of stanzas read :

"He traverses familiar,
As one should come to town
And tell you all your dreams were true;
He lived where dreams were sown.

H
Lisa N
Aug 10, 2012 Lisa N rated it it was amazing
Emily Dickinson is my all-time favorite poet. I loved one of her nature poems that was including in an anthology I read often as a child. I will never forget the effect the following poem had on me the first time I read it, which was in college:

Because I could not stop for Death,
He kindly stopped for me;
The carriage held but just ourselves
And Immortality.

We slowly drove, he knew no haste,
And I had put away
My labor, and my leisure too,
For his civility.

We passed the school where children played,
T
Sheila
Jan 13, 2013 Sheila rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, poetry
I must admit that reading this was my first real exposure to Emily Dickinson. Yes, I knew she was a famous poet, but I had never spent any time reading her work, nor could I identify any poem as belonging to her. But after having her mentioned repeatedly in another book I just read I decided to download a free e-book version of her poems.

Poetry is such a unique writing style to me. I am not an expert on poetry, and poems either resonate with me, or they don’t. A poem could be a brilliant work of
charlotte
Jan 18, 2016 charlotte rated it liked it
Some personal highlights:

“Pain has an element of blank;
It cannot recollect
When it began, or if there were
A day when it was not.
It has no future but itself,
Its infinite realms contain
Its past, enlightened to perceive
New periods of pain.”

“A precious, mouldering pleasure ’t is
To meet an antique book”

“Because I could not stop for Death,
He kindly stopped for me;
The carriage held but just ourselves
And Immortality.”
Maram AlNajrani
Sep 13, 2015 Maram AlNajrani rated it liked it
One of my favorites was;

“Some things that fly there be, —
Birds, hours, the bumble-bee:
Of these no elegy.

Some things that stay there be, —
Grief, hills, eternity:
Nor this behooveth me.

There are, that resting, rise.
Can I expound the skies?
How still the riddle lies!”
Deni
May 09, 2016 Deni rated it it was amazing
It is truly beautiful how many quotes you can extract from her poems. I decided that she's my favourite poet of all times.
Talina
Mar 06, 2017 Talina rated it did not like it
This is the shortest and closest I could find since I read this in English 1C Introduction to literature and we read "I dwell in possibility" COUNTLESS TIMES!
Tiffany Turner
Feb 16, 2017 Tiffany Turner rated it it was amazing
Emily Dickinson has always been my favorite poet and always will be. I have a folder full of my favorite poems that I have collected over the years and they are nearly all hers. Her poems are full of wit, sass, intellect, insight and more. She was incredibly talented.
Lamski Kikita
Mar 29, 2013 Lamski Kikita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Emily's work, especially that pertaining to nature and birds. Here are my faves:

"If I can stop one heart from breaking,
I shall not live in vain;
or cool one pain,
or help one fainting robin,
unto his nest again,
I shall not live i vain."

"Assent, and you are sane;
Demur, you're straightway dangerous,
and handled with a chain"

"Some keep the Sabbath going to church;
I keep it staying at home,
with a bobolink for a chorister,
and an orchard for a dome.
Some keep the Sabbath in surplice,
I just wear my w
Julchen
Jan 04, 2014 Julchen rated it liked it
I've never been a poetry person because I used to think that I don't get it. Lately, I noticed that reading it aloud or listening to other people reading poetry makes it more accessible for me, so I tried that.
In my quest to find poetry that I'd enjoy, I came across this copy of Emily Dickinson and thought I could try it.
I actually enjoyed it more than I thought I would. To be honest, I found the pacing of quite a few poems off and rather odd, but I also thoroughly enjoyed (and highlighted) a lo
Cindy
Jan 03, 2015 Cindy added it
The Grass so little has to do –
by Emily Dickinson

The Grass so little has to do –
A Sphere of simple Green –
With only Butterflies to brood
And Bees to entertain –
And stir all day to pretty Tunes
The Breezes fetch along –
And hold the Sunshine in its lap
And bow to everything –

And thread the Dews, all night, like Pearls –
And make itself so fine
A Duchess were too common
For such a noticing –

And even when it dies – to pass
In Odors so divine –
Like Lowly spices, lain to sleep –
Or Spikenards, perishing –

And
Alexa Gallo
May 22, 2016 Alexa Gallo rated it really liked it
This book is a collection of Emily Dickinson poems. It is divided up into the sections of Life, Nature, Love, Time and Eternity, The Single Hound, Further Poems and Additional poems.

I really enjoyed reading these poems, even though I couldn't understand some of them. I had to keep my phone next to me while reading it so I could look up the words I didn't know--and there were a lot. But the ones I could understand I enjoyed and once I deciphered the ones I couldn't understand, I enjoyed those as
Heather
Apr 17, 2013 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This may be the first poetry book I have read that was not required for school, which I have been out of for quite a while. Obviously, it was different from what I am used to reading, but I enjoyed it. There was such a wide variety of poems, so I came across some I liked, and some I didn't. I was intimidated by the book before I started reading it. I was worried I was not going to be able to follow the poems, or even understand them. I'll admit, there were some I did not get, but some that I did ...more
Emad Attili
Mar 31, 2013 Emad Attili rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-reads
description
Wow, that was a good pleasure!
These lovely poems should be read on sunset, on a romantic beach, along with a tasty cup of good coffee! -- with slow music for sure:) that would be perfect!

Emily Dickinson was a romantic soul. Her poems say that. They were easy, and totally charming.
I highly recommend them. If you like to take a break from your heavy noisy grey life, then you should read them - they are the cure! They will put you in a world full of colors.
David
Sep 26, 2016 David rated it it was amazing
I'll have to find a text copy of this! The reader of the version I listened to seemed like he was having issues with pronouncing some words and transitioning from one poem to the next. Like he was reading it all in one sitting. Otherwise, I really enjoyed this collection of Emily Dickinson poems. I found it on YouTube and it's also available on librivox.org to download for free!
Aarti Nair
Aug 31, 2016 Aarti Nair rated it it was amazing
The depth that you find in Emily's writing is what you can't find in any prose. The work that she could do in such young age, is astonishing. Most of her work remains relevant even today, and shall remember the same for the coming generations. Her poetry is filling, it fills your soul.

In this one, I love how her poems touch the point of grief, sadness and death of a loved one.
Stephanie
Jul 23, 2015 Stephanie rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
I enjoyed this. A wandered in and out, sometimes reading whole sections, sometimes lingering over a favorite. Though there's lots here I didn't find I had a vast many favorites, a few each section maybe, and the most in the last section Time and Eternity. I do look forward to reading the other books in the series!
Benjamin
Aug 11, 2014 Benjamin rated it really liked it
First time reading Dickinson's poetry. Some really excellent pieces, with some rich imagery and several thought provoking passages. A few of her poems were of vastly lower quality than the others, though overall I enjoyed this short introduction to her work and shall have to find the time to read a few more.
Farah
Jul 09, 2015 Farah rated it really liked it
"If I can stop one heart from breaking,
I shall not live in vain;
If I can ease one life the aching,
Or cool one pain,
Or help one fainting robin
Unto his nest again,
I shall not live in vain." FAVE!

dasar poet,, orang mau nyuri di rumah kosong aja bisa jd poetry -_-
pamela k cronister
Jul 17, 2016 pamela k cronister rated it it was amazing
I love the gentle strength that she shows in her works

I've been a fan of Emily Dickinson since I was first introduced to her poetry when I was in high school . Like many of the great writers and poets no matter how many times you read her works she still has something to say.
Oliver Eike
Jan 27, 2015 Oliver Eike rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
I am not a big fan of poetry, but i decided to give Emily Dickinson a go.

And the language is very beautiful, it is something people really should take the oppertunity and time to read and enjoy.
Emily Hale
Jul 14, 2014 Emily Hale rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics, poetry
“I never saw a moor,
I never saw the sea;
Yet know I how the heather looks,
And what a wave must be.
I never spoke with God,
Nor visited in heaven;
Yet certain am I of the spot
As if the chart were given.”
Paola
Oct 12, 2016 Paola rated it really liked it

I have a bad experience with poetry. Even in my first language.
But this one was different. Beautiful and earthy. Feels grounded.
I dont know if it makes any sense but that is what I felt reading it
Johanna
Aug 17, 2012 Johanna rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012, poetry
If possible, I would give three and a half. I don't read poetry very often so this needs another read before I get fully into these. I did enjoy especially the nature poems as you could almost smell the fresh grass and flowers while reading.
vaanathi
Feb 11, 2015 vaanathi rated it it was amazing
i really like reading the book..the lines were awe-inspiring and i for one absolutely loved it.it is a wonder to know about emily's great thoughts considering her backgroung year.but nevertheless i seriously liked it ....
Chad
Apr 06, 2015 Chad rated it liked it
Mostly good

I greatly enjoyed a few of these and didn't dislike the rest. It's hard to offer a critique as Dickinson wrote them not for publication but for herself. But it seems to me that if your going to make most of a poem rhyme you ought to make the whole thing rhyme.
  • Six Centuries of English Poetry from Tennyson to Chaucer: Typical Selections from the Great Poets (1892)
  • Poems in Two Volumes, Volume 1
  • Keats: poems published in 1820
  • The House of Life
  • Poems by Walt Whitman
  • Poems of William Blake
  • North of Boston
  • Portraits of Integrity: Real People Who Demonstrated Godly Character (Volume 1)
  • Clutterfree
  • Before I Go To Sleep by S. J. Watson - Summary & Study Guide
  • How to be a Genius
  • Het wonder van Frieswijck
  • The Works of Edgar Allan Poe, Volume 5
  • Zoektocht in Katoren
  • Urge to Kill (DI Matt Turrell, #1)
  • They
  • The Secret of Hanging Rock
  • The Scarlet Citadel
Emily Dickinson was an American poet who, despite the fact that less than a dozen of her nearly eighteen hundred poems were published during her lifetime, is widely considered one of the most original and influential poets of the 19th century.

Dickinson was born to a successful family with strong community ties, she lived a mostly introverted and reclusive life. After she studied at the Amherst Aca
More about Emily Dickinson...

Poems by Emily Dickinson (4 books)
  • Poems by Emily Dickinson, Series Two
  • Poems by Emily Dickinson, Third Series
  • Poems: Three Series, Complete

“VI. If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain; If I can ease one life the aching, Or cool one pain, Or help one fainting robin Unto his nest again, I shall not live in vain.” 5 likes
“And if, indeed, I fail, At least to know the worst is sweet. Defeat means nothing but defeat, No drearier can prevail!” 3 likes