Start by marking “Night of the Water Spirits” as Want to Read:
Night of the Water Spirits

Night of the Water Spirits

When Panda's American cousin first comes to Bangkok, he throws a lizard at her and she bites him. Yet on a night when the country's waterways are alight with a myriad tiny candles, their relationship takes a different turn; one that draws them together again as adults and, in spite of turbulent marriages to other people, leads them to defy some of society's most fervently ...more
Paperback
Published July 1st 2011 by Black Lotus Publishing Ltd

To ask other readers questions about Night of the Water Spirits, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Night of the Water Spirits

Amy
Oct 23, 2012 Amy rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle
The male main character was way too much of a jerk without any redeeming qualities at all for this romance to work for me. Chauvinist, mean to his kids, cheats on everyone, spoiled, selfish. I didn't want these two to be together at all, but then you feel bad for their children. This book made me delete all of my other e-book Amazon authors from my Kindle. I don't feel I have time to maybe find one good read out of every 30 I try. No no no.
Kate
Oct 27, 2011 Kate rated it really liked it
Bisco's second novel is perceptive, funny, 'pacey' and deceptively deep in its wisdom. I love how she handles her characters, with a deft, worldly, tolerant touch ... But it's the bicultural side of her work that intrigues me most. I stayed up late and was glad the book was too fat for me to devour all in one night. There's a lot of dialogue, which interested me as a fellow writer---it makes the action seem to romp and rip along.
Margaret Jones
Sep 19, 2016 Margaret Jones rated it it was ok
Story okay although I thought more could have been made of it. My problem is that I didn't like the two main characters.
Shawnee
Dec 11, 2013 Shawnee rated it liked it
This story takes place over the span of forty-six years and follows the story of two cousins: Teddy and Panida (Panda). After being thrown together for a few weeks as children, they initially dislike each other but soon form a close bond. As adults, they fall in love and remain so, despite being married to other people.

If you’re the kind of reader who must be able to sympathize with the characters to enjoy a book, this one might not be for you. The leading man (Teddy) is a self-entered womanize
Vikas Datta
A brilliant evocative read...
Claire Meadows
The male protagonist is such in an idiot that I didn't carry on after about 120 pages. Two dimensional, hardly believable characters. Won't be reading anymore by this author.
Roger D Montgomery
Nov 05, 2011 Roger D Montgomery rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finished
Just excellent. I have always loved Thailand anyway, and am so glad to see a good contemporary piece of fiction set there. Roger D (orang hutan watchers)
Briony
Jul 25, 2012 Briony rated it liked it
A good holiday read the fact that it's set in Thailand and Indonesia appealed to me - nice enough but not particularly memorable
Chris Williams
Chris Williams rated it liked it
Nov 19, 2014
Donna
Donna rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2013
Quincy Grant
Quincy Grant rated it liked it
Dec 11, 2013
Sharon  Beckles Widell
Sharon Beckles Widell rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2012
Emmalg
Emmalg rated it it was ok
Aug 20, 2014
Galihmelon
Galihmelon rated it it was ok
Aug 09, 2015
Charlotte Malpass
Charlotte Malpass rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2017
Lawrence Mann
Lawrence Mann rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2014
Sarah rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2014
Khyati Tewari
Khyati Tewari rated it it was ok
May 29, 2013
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it did not like it
Sep 03, 2013
Misbah
Misbah rated it did not like it
Aug 18, 2013
Jameker
Jameker rated it it was amazing
Mar 28, 2012
Jennifer rated it it was ok
Apr 23, 2012
Jasmine Montgomery
Jasmine Montgomery rated it it was amazing
Mar 08, 2012
Alex Lin
Alex Lin rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2016
Jan
Jan marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2011
Jan
Jan added it
Mar 15, 2012
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2012
Monica
Monica marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2012
Maureen Reil
Maureen Reil marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2012
Jackie Lane
Jackie Lane marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2012
Renee
Renee marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2012
Misty
Misty added it
Apr 26, 2012
Ambyr
Ambyr added it
Jul 19, 2012
Anthea
Anthea marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2012
Rdpoll
Rdpoll marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2012
Ally
Ally marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2012
Kasi
Kasi marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2012
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2012
Gabby
Gabby marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2013
Diane
Diane marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2013
Mary
Mary added it
Jan 13, 2013
Bev
Bev marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2013
Cathy
Cathy added it
Feb 23, 2013
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2013
grumpyoldbird
grumpyoldbird marked it as to-read
May 11, 2013
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2013
Cassandra P Lewis
Cassandra P Lewis marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2014
Krystyna Pindral
Krystyna Pindral marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2014
4482054
Barbara Bisco is the author of three novels, all of which are set in Asia where she has spent the last thirty years, much of it in Thailand and Indonesia. Whilst in Asia, Barbara worked for the National Museum in both Bangkok and Jakarta. Her daughter was born in Indonesia and the whole family thinks of it as a second home. Although London is now her first home, Barbara is originally from New York ...more
More about Barbara Bisco...