Halloween

Halloween

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  115 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Published September 13th 2011 by Prime Books

Dracula by Bram StokerThe Complete Stories and Poems by Edgar Allan PoeThe Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan DoyleAt the Mountains of Madness and Other Tales of Terror by H.P. LovecraftThe Exorcist by William Peter Blatty
Reading for October Evenings
95th out of 128 books — 71 voters
It Lives in The Basement by Sahara FoleyMagic in the Mirrorstone by Steve Berman100 Vicious Little Vampire Stories by Martin H. Greenberg100 Hair-Raising Little Horror Stories by Al SarrantonioThe Twilight Zone by Richard Matheson
Eyes Wide Open
33rd out of 33 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Em
Nice collection of seasonal stories in a variety of genres and senses of creepiness. Note that the e-book edition does not contain Ray Bradbury's "October Game", which is unfortunate, since it is among the best Halloween stories ever, but I have it in a hardback collection and have it practically memorized, so it wasn't a big deal for me. It is a must read to even begin to appreciate the "companion" story in this colleciton, though.
Susan
Nov 11, 2012 Susan added it
While there were some very good stories in this collection, such as the ones written by Ray Bradbury, Charles deLint, and Peter Straub, the book itself was a nightmare to read. It is so riddled with typos, misspelled words, crappy typesetting, misused apostrophes and missing letters that I have to wonder if anyone even bothered to glance at it before it was published. I will never purchase anything with this editor's name on it again.
MB Taylor
I finished reading Halloween last night just before heading to bed. Halloween is a collection of 33 previously stories all having something to do with Halloween. Three of the stories are from the 1800s, but most (19) are from 2000 or later.

Although the collection wasn’t exactly what I expected, it wasn’t bad. I was expecting more creepy horror stories and, although the later stories met my expectations, the collection starts out pretty slow.

The first two stories didn’t do much for me, but the...more
Julie Davis
This is one that I actually spent my own money on ... a sort of madness took over. I'm blaming it on the headiness of October and moving on.

I'll be reading these short stories throughout the month. The introduction is an excellent overview of Halloween which incorporates new discoveries about olden time celebrations. Thus far I am not too far along but have just begun Hat by Peter Straub. I don't think I've ever read anything by him but early in it is a fabulous look at jazz, a musician's life,...more
Jeff
Another short story book edited by Paula Guran, Halloween is an excellent selection of stories, dating as far back as the early 1800s (a poem by Sir Walter Scott, called "The Young Tamlane"). There are over 30 stories in this collection, and it is, indeed, delightful. I was pleasantly surprised to find a story in the book by Stewart O'Nan, Stephen King's collaborator in Faithful, their chronicle of the historical 2004 season of the Boston Red Sox. There is a poem by H.P. Lovecraft, called "Hallo...more
Aaron Spink
This is a great anthology of stories. Such stories as Straub's "Pork Pie Hat" and Braunbeck's "Tessellations" left me with a sense of inspiration and fulfilment while Sarrantonio's "Hornets" and Shirley's "Mask Game" truly captured the horror and essence of the mood that Halloween can bring.
The only reason I didn't give this book a 5 star rating is solely for the amount of grammatical and punctuational errors in this edition which cries out for a very necessary re-edit in the next edition, if th...more
Alicia
The collection of stories for this book introduced me to some new writers, which is one of the reasons I love picking up anthologies like this. Some of the stories (like Tessellations) scared the ever-living Hell out me... a job well done for a short story. Although I'm a big poetry fan, I wish that the poems had not been included. I guess it's just a pet peeve of mine; when I sit down to read a collection of Halloween short stories, that's all I want to read. The poems broke the rhythm.

The main...more
Sudi
First, let me say that this was an good compilation of stories. I enjoyed most of them and the caliber of contributors met my expectations. Not all were spectacular, but overall, there were some good moments.

However, this was the most poorly edited book I have ever read. There is a typing/proofreading error in every story--sometimes more. I found it distracting to read through missing words, misspelled words, and other proofreading errors. I tend to forgive one or two in a book, but not in every...more
Ron
A great mix of stories to set the mood for Halloween (or anytime, since I didn't finish the book until January). The stories give equal coverage to all of the seasonal themes--pumkins, ghosts, witches, and even El Dia De Los Muertos. The stories range from humorous ("Auntie Elspeth's Halloween Story"), endearing ("One Thin Dime"), to expectedly spooky ("Man-Size in Marble", "The Great Pumpkin Arrives at Last",and "The October Game"). Those looking for just horror stories may be disapointed, but...more
Maggie
A good collection of Halloween stories, a few of my favorites:
- The Sticks by Charlee Jacob
- Halloween Street by Steve Rasnic Tem
- Memories by Peter Crowther

A couple that were a little gruesome:
- The October Game by Ray Bradbury, this was a great story (because Bradbury is awesome) but really creepy/gruesome. The November Game, a follow up story to the October Game, by F. Paul Wilson was also a little disturbing. But both were worth the read.
- Tessellations by Gary Braunbeck (a little out there...more
Shelly
Excellent anthology! I liked some stories better than others, of course - that's normal with me with any anthology. Highlights of this one were the Maria V. Snyder story, and the A.C. Wise story.

Very atmospheric, I was regretful a few times of choosing to read this alone in a dark house while waiting for my husband to come home from work! If it's heebie jeebies and chills you're looking for, this will deliver, mostly without tipping over into downright horror.
John
Night Out 6/10
The October Game 9/10
The November Game 8/10
Lisa Martin
This is a hugely fun anthology. It has actually become one of my Halloween decorations, sitting out on the end table every October. Aunty Elspeth's Halloween Story by Esther M. Friesner alone is worth the price of the book.
Tinea
I really liked this book. Full of short stories, albeit some were not short at all, that had a central spooky, odd, queer theme...halloween. :) Honestly, some were so frightful, I could only finish them in the daytime hours.
This is a great book for anyone who loves halloween. It imparts some history of modern halloween rituals and offers a variety of short stories for adults. It's a super fun read.
Joe
Difficult to assign a single rating to a group of so many varied stories. Some deserve five stars, some not so much. Overall a great collection of Halloween related tales.
Robin Edman
These stories were probably great in their day, but that day is in the past. However, the collection is worth looking at for those rare gems that pop up here and there.
Melissa ownsbey
it was an alsome alsome book man was it good
ihave only good things to say aboiut it
i also did not win this from good reads
Kelly
This was a great compilation. The stories were more diverse than i thought they would be.
Holly Iossa
The stories in the book were good but the amount of typos ruined the reading experience for me.
David
I read about half of these stories in the run-up to Halloween, and they're definitely hit-or-miss.
Jenny
Most of the stories were mediocre at best, though there were a few gems.
Ali
A great collection of stories - but the editing was pretty bad.
Amanda
Stories are great. But the editor actually needs to edit the book.
Rose
Original stories, all are pretty good, some very creepy.
Robin
Some really great short stories in this one!
William Wright
Fantastic seasonal anthology!
Brian
Brian is currently reading it
Jul 19, 2014
Paula Guran is senior editor for Prime Books. She edited the Juno fantasy imprint from its small press inception through its incarnation as an imprint of Pocket Books. She is also senior editor of Prime's soon-to-launch digital imprint Masque Books. Guran edits the annual Year's Best Dark Fantasy and Horror series as well as a growing number of other anthologies. In an earlier life she produced we...more
More about Paula Guran...
New Cthulhu: The Recent Weird Vampires: The Recent Undead Zombies: The Recent Dead Brave New Love: 15 Dystopian Tales of Desire The Year's Best Dark Fantasy & Horror, 2010 Edition