Start by marking “Homecoming: New and Collected Poems” as Want to Read:
Homecoming: New and Collected Poems

Homecoming: New and Collected Poems

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  117 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Long before her award winning novel, How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents, and In the Time of the Butterflies, Julia Alvarez was writing poetry that gave a distinctive voice to the Latina woman-and helped give to American letters a vibrant new literary form. Homecoming, was Alvarez's first published collection of poetry, a work of great subtlety and power in which the ...more
Published April 1st 1996 by Plume (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Homecoming, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Homecoming

Melyssa
Jun 01, 2016 Melyssa rated it really liked it
I liked that these poems were about relatable things.

Read for reading challenge: poetry
Tristan
May 02, 2016 Tristan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
This is Julia Alvarez's first book of poems, rereleased with a number of additions and some revisions and it reveals the remarkable talent that Julia Alvarez continues to display in her other books of poetry and fiction. Homecoming deals emphatically and meaningfully with a particular sensitivity even as (particularly in some of the additions) Alvarez shows her unflinching character and dedication to engaged poetry. "Folding My Clothes" and "Charges" in particular explore her difficult relations ...more
Rebecca
Jun 20, 2008 Rebecca rated it really liked it
This collection has one of my favorite poems, Against Cinderella. Alvarez provides a refreshing interpretation of the archetypal tale: "some of us have learned to go barefoot knowing the mate to one foot is the other."
E
Oct 30, 2008 E rated it it was amazing
My copy is falling apart from numerous readings. A nuanced volume that gives me something new every time I return.
Bianca
Jul 11, 2016 Bianca rated it liked it
You can get through the poems in a day or two. The 33 chapter, in my opinion, is the best one. The first third of the book -- on her mother and family -- is ok, but felt like she translated her experience instead of shared it. She recognizes and talks a little abt it in the afterword. (Also this was her first book so it makes sense that she hadn't found her full voice yet.) The sonnets at the end I think I need to read again.
Thea Buck
Feb 25, 2016 Thea Buck rated it really liked it
I really liked this book of poems. Poetry is not normally my thing, but the poems were nicely written and flowed well. My favorite poem in the collection was Against Cinderella. The book is a quick, enjoyable read.
erika
Jan 30, 2012 erika rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
painful, beautiful examinations of women's relationships with each other - while men are present here, their presence is sketched out and male/female relationships are generally not given the same sort of loving attention. (it was an interesting choice to me that though the poems were arranged so as to tell a life story, alvarez skipped completely over the part between being a teenager and being a divorced woman.) i found the middle section, "housekeeping", almost claustrophobic in its intimacy ...more
Brett
Nov 18, 2015 Brett rated it really liked it
A great collection, a clear voice, and some wonderful lines that stuck with me. Definitely glad this was sitting around in a random English corner of the library in Hungary.
Shelly
Oct 07, 2015 Shelly added it
a wonderful read
Sally Reardon
Apr 24, 2008 Sally Reardon rated it really liked it
A beautiful collection of poems dealing with the topics of domesticity, sex, dating, parental legacy and the experience of a female writer. I especially loved the section "Heroines". The poems spoke to me on a personal level as a woman, but I feel they would be enjoyable for a wider audience as well.
Maite
Maite marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2016
Brian Fanelli
Brian Fanelli rated it really liked it
May 27, 2016
Kaitlyn
Kaitlyn marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Susan Budd
Susan Budd marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Latonya Kelly
Latonya Kelly rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2016
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2016
Jill Lobos
Jill Lobos marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
Abby
Abby marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016
Ema
Ema marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2016
Ellen Butler
Ellen Butler rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2016
Gabriela
Gabriela marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2016
Jasmine Healy
Jasmine Healy marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2016
S Hinchcliffe
S Hinchcliffe marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2016
Sarah Javier
Sarah Javier rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2016
Annie
Annie rated it really liked it
Mar 12, 2016
Christina
Christina rated it liked it
Feb 29, 2016
Burgess Taylor
Burgess Taylor marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2016
  • The Art of the Lathe
  • Black Wings and Blind Angels
  • Notes on the Assemblage
  • Middle Earth: Poems
Julia Álvarez was born in New York City. Her parents moved back to the Dominican Republic when Álvarez was 3 months old and she was raised there until she was 10, when the family moved back to NYC.

She is currently writer-in-residence at Middlebury College and the owner of a coffee farm named Alta Gracia, near Jarabacoa in the mountains of the Dominican Republic. The farm hosts a school to teach l
More about Julia Alvarez...