New Jersey Noir

New Jersey Noir (Akashic Noir)

3.32 of 5 stars 3.32  ·  rating details  ·  96 ratings  ·  15 reviews
"Oates's introduction to Akashic's noir volume dedicated to the Garden State, with its evocative definition of the genre, is alone worth the price of the book . . . Poems by C.K. Williams, Paul Muldoon, and others--plus photos by Gerald Slota--enhance this distinguished entry."
-- Publishers Weekly

"It was inevitable that this fine noir series would reach New Jersey. It took...more
Published November 1st 2011 by Akashic Books (first published October 28th 2011)

John
I feel like everything gets four stars lately - but I haven't read a short story anthology as gripping as this one in a while. It took the easiest routes to my heart: crime, variety, and a New Jersey backdrop.
Kevin Simons
I should have realized when I read "Brooklyn Noir" back in 2004 that I was looking at the beginning of a series. I guess I never see things coming, though, until they're about to flatten me as they thunder past. Just eight years later and the list of titles in the "Noir" series reads like an exhausting travel itinerary. Somehow an editor scraped "Orange County Noir" together a few years back. I've been to Orange County and noir was always just about the furthest French word from my mind every ti...more
Michael
This was a fun collection of stories, especially since I went to many of their settings while I was a missionary for my church in New Jersey. I was hoping for a little more hard-boiled detective stuff, and there may have a few too many stories about young junkies, but I am a fan of the noir genre and this collection featured much of what I like about it: gritty settings, scarred protagonists, and an overwhelming feeling of claustrophobia. You can read what I've written about the series in genera...more
Stephanie
I did not care for this book at all. I am not really into short story / poetry compilations unless the material is exceptional, however, most of this stuff reads like college English Composition essays. Also annoying, this book tries way too hard to be "dark", including opening with a story set in a morgue. I took it from the library expecting some real macabre stories of things that actually happened in NJ, however, its just a collection of mediocre and badly written stories that could take pla...more
Deb
I usually prefer novels to short stories, largely because by the time I've gotten into the short story, it's over, but occasionally I read them for a change of pace.

Have been watching The Sopranos on DVD and thought New Jersey Noir would complement it beautifully. I was not disappointed. Joyce Carol Oates edited the collection, and contributes one of her own stories. Other authors I was familiar with were Robert Pinsky and Jonathan Safran Foer.

Good stories, almost every one of them. Worth readin...more
Matt Lydon
Really liked these stories a lot. Almost made me wanna move to Jersey. Almost.
Jan
I thought it was a fabulous collection of stories. Very dark and at times depressing (AKA, good reading!) I'm from New Jersey, what can I say? And I love Joyce Carol Oates, who was the editor. Her own story, which ends the book, is particularly dark. I highly recommend this. This is part of a "Noir" series set in various locales around the country and the world. I'll probably check out others soon.
Robert Arellano
Sep 11, 2011 Robert Arellano rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
There's good stuff in all the fiction and poetry, and Robert Pinsky's poem in particular blew me away. Editor Joyce Carol Oates's introduction makes a handy overview for a class on American noir.
May 08, 2012 Laura rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
I thought this collection of stories set in various NJ towns was OK. I liked the ones set in Hoboken and Asbury Park the best, but I am also partial to those places.
Martie Nees Record
I am not usually a fan of short stories but these were great...maybe because I live in NJ and I am of Joyce Carol Oates.
Lillian Haas
As the title says, short noir-ish stories set in New Jersey. Not bad, but a bit more literary than I was expecting.
Midnight Blue
Nov 02, 2012 Midnight Blue rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Negine
Great anthology....we're talking Jimmy Hoffa New Jersey, not Jersey Shore New Jersey. Great noir!
Sue
I liked some of these short stories. Didn't finish them all however.
Beth Hough
Uneven, but interesting.
Marisa
Marisa marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Smeech
Smeech marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014
Elaine Mulligan
Elaine Mulligan marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2014
Poeticdemise
Poeticdemise marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2014
Richard Fohrenbach
Richard Fohrenbach is currently reading it
Mar 23, 2014
Ks
Ks marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2014
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2014
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2014
Steven
Steven marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2014
Omygoditsjulie
Omygoditsjulie marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2014
Mehri
Mehri marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2014
Melyssa
Melyssa marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2014
Sobriquethere
Sobriquethere marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Joyce Carol Oates is a recipient of the National Book Award and the PEN/Malamud Award for Excellence in Short Fiction. She is also the recipient of the 2005 Prix Femina for The Falls. She is the Roger S. Berlind Distinguished Professor of the Humanities at Princeton University, and she has been a member of the American Academy of Arts and Letters since 1978. Pseudonyms ... Rosamond Smith and Laure...more
More about Joyce Carol Oates...
We Were the Mulvaneys The Falls The Gravedigger's Daughter Blonde Foxfire: Confessions of a Girl Gang