Start by marking “Superman: Kryptonite” as Want to Read:
Superman: Kryptonite

Superman: Kryptonite (Collana Superman #2)

The amazing story from SUPERMAN CONFIDENTIAL #1-5 and 11 by Darwyn Cooke (DC: THE NEW FRONTIER) and Tim Sale (BATMAN: THE LONG HALLOWEEN, Heroes) is collected in hardcover. While Superman attempts to survive his first encounter with Kryptonite, will Lois Lane fall prey to a mysterious stranger?
Published September 23rd 2008 by DC Comics (first published December 5th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Superman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Superman

Sam Quixote
May 31, 2016 Sam Quixote rated it it was ok
Originally published serially as Superman: Confidential, this is a story from Superman’s early days when he’d only just appeared and didn’t know the extent of his vulnerabilities yet. A shady casino owner called Anthony Gallo comes to Metropolis with his lucky giant hunk of green crystal and the Man of Steel has his first encounter with Kryptonite.

As always with Darwyn Cooke, he tells a story set in the Golden Age, like his best known book DC: New Frontier, though this time he only writes it wi
Logan
Jul 13, 2016 Logan rated it really liked it
R.I.P. Darwyn Cooke, a truly talented artist and writer!

Good! Yet another book I've read but never reviewed! So Superman Kryptonite is basically a sequel to Superman: For All Seasons, and collects issues of superman confidential. This book deals with one thing: vulnerability! So superman has been on the job for a few months, him and Lois have began to see each other; every time superman gets into a hairy situation, he is generally very scared, he's thinking this might be what ends him! Some rea
Albert
Nov 18, 2016 Albert rated it really liked it
Superman: Kryptonite by Darwyn Cooke and illustrated by Tim Sale gathers the first five issues of Superman Confidential as well as issue 11. It tells the story of when Clark Kent first leaves Smallville for Metropolis and begins his life as Superman. Kent is new at the superhero world and is as of yet, unsure of the true extent of his powers and his invulnerability. He is also in the very early stages of his relationship with Lois Lane.

The story begins, being voiced by an unknown entity, as it f
Robert
May 24, 2016 Robert rated it really liked it
A solid outing from the late Mr Cooke, with stylish artwork by Tim Sale that is both reminiscent of- and differentiated from his pencils for Superman for All Seasons.

Lonelyman

Ultimately this is a story about vulnerability, and it plays off the fun conceit that we, the readers, already know that Supers is well-nigh invulnerable, but at this early stage in his superheroing career, does he? He naturally has his doubts, even before his first encounter with the kryptonite radiation that plays a big role in ho
Blindzider
May 21, 2016 Blindzider rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
I had never heard of this book until I just happened to see it sitting on the shelf at the library, with Darwyn Cooke's name popping out on me since he just passed away. In a change of pace, it is only written by him, but the art is none other than Tim Sale.

The primary theme here is Clark learning about vulnerability. The double meaning here is him learning about connecting to the human race, despite his powers, but also what it means to feel fear of death, in his case when he gets near kryptoni
Michael
Apr 14, 2011 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A well crafted story by Cooke of Superman's first encounter with Kryptonite, cleverly updated with modern touches. And something about Tim Sale's Superman art just brings a smile to my face.
Sourya Majumder
Mar 15, 2017 Sourya Majumder rated it it was amazing
Beautiful.
Lenette
Apr 05, 2011 Lenette rated it it was amazing
“From battling crime and corruption in Metropolis to preventing disasters all over the world, Superman has yet t ofind a force that can stop him. But when a suave, savage crimelord makes his move on Metropolis, he brings his most prized possession with him: Kryptonite! Now everyone from Lois Lane to Lex Luthor to Superman himself is racing to uncover the secret of this green meteorite…”

After seventy years of Superman storytelling, you’d think that everything has been done. Well, Sale and Cooke’s
Nick
Sep 24, 2008 Nick rated it it was amazing
I don't feel it's even the slightest exaggeration to say that Darwyn Cooke is the best comic writer in the world right now. He gets how serial-format graphic storytelling should work, and he's able to pull it off consistently.

Superman: Kryptonite is a retelling of Superman's first encounter with the deadly remains of his homeworld. Cooke shrugs off the shackles of ongoing, overwrought continuity and, as he puts it in his introduction, "strictly observe[s:] the original continuity set up by the
Gayle Francis Moffet
Jun 09, 2013 Gayle Francis Moffet rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, 2013, june-2013
Supes isn't my guy. Nothing against the man, but he's just never done it for me. Turns out, what I need to like him is to see him unsure of what he can do and seeking reassurance in his parents. I also need Lois Lane kicking ass and taking names and refusing to be second to anyone or anything--even Supes and his great big determination to save the world.

The story isn't perfect; the villain isn't as fleshed out as I would like, and if you're going to bring a guy in to be the big bad, not a great
Erik
Oct 29, 2008 Erik rated it it was ok
Two of my absolute favorites – Cooke and Sale -- join together on the Big Red S. Can’t go wrong with that, now can you?

Well, unfortunately, this is not the best effort that these two have put forth. Sure, there are those incredible moments that leave your mouth hanging open. Like when the Man of Steel catches a falling semi in mid-air with a crowd of Metropolitans looking on mouths agape, his battle to stop the lava flow of a volcano, and – most particularly – the sepia-tone-like flashbacks at
Vince Osorio
Feb 22, 2016 Vince Osorio rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful novel, a Superman story told with such nuance & reverence for the character that is only rarely ever seen. Beautifully drawn with designs & colors that harken back to Silver Age styles but written in a way that in no ways bound or dated to an older era, Superman: Kryptonite succeeds where many other comics fail by...not being much of a typical DC book at all.

For better or worse, one of the defining characteristics of Superman is his invincibility, but lesser stories a
Julian Munds
Jan 08, 2016 Julian Munds rated it really liked it
Shelves: comcs
I come to the character of Superman with no open mind. I don't, as a rule. like him. But this book actively makes him face his mortality. This conflict makes him interesting. I wish the themes of immortality, legacy, and omnipotence were examined more. However, I bet the advent of the Watchmen, and Dr. Manhattan. deeply influenced this story. Tim Sale's art feels disneyfied and un realistic. Lex looks absurd. But the sequence with the volcano is expertly realized.
Jeff Hinshaw
Jun 16, 2016 Jeff Hinshaw rated it really liked it
Darwyn Cooke is a genius at writing stories going to the heart of classic DC characters. Here he is well served by the art of Tim Sale, telling a story of a young Superman's first experience with Kryptonite.

No spoilers, you'll want to read this one for yourself. Heartfelt story that truly respects the best of the character!
Matt Chic
2 stars because this has two of my favorite creators doing only an average story. Plus Superman still sucks.
Richard Keller
May 19, 2017 Richard Keller rated it really liked it
Darwyn Cooke is a fantastic storyteller, as seen in this collection of stories. It takes place during the earliest days of Superman's career and how he comes to know the effects of Kryptonite. Well, one of the stories. There have been so many told on how he came to know this deadly element. This is just one of them, and it seems to take place in a past which is modern yet retro as well. Here, Superman/Clark is still unsure of himself, Jimmy Olsen is a firecracker, and Lois is ... Well, Lois neve ...more
Todd Glaeser
May 04, 2017 Todd Glaeser rated it it was amazing
Darwin Cooke and Tim Sale can do no wrong.
Alberto Carlos
He leído la edición de ECC, ya crearé su ficha. El caso que bastante bien, pero la historia termina muy de esa manera. Sale está correcto, pero no sé si estoy viendo a Luthor o a Kingpin.
Mar 23, 2009 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
A six issue run on a superhero comic is a tough thing. It's bound to disappoint readers who want a full, epic story, because page length is shorter. And it's bound to drive people who love the reoccurrence of little ideas and thematic elements crazy--because there's little time to develop either. The plot takes precedence; events must move forward, often at the expense of logic.

In light of this, I'm willing to give Superman: Kryptonite a little bit of a break. It is entertainingly told and lushl
Jack Gattanella
Jun 27, 2016 Jack Gattanella rated it really liked it
Shelves: funny-books
RIP Darwyn Cooke, first of all. It's hard not to miss him like every day.

Secondly, this is a series that is written/drawn by people who, at least according to the intro by Cooke, wanted to find something new to say about Superman, or find just anything at all that could work with a character that has had some many versions over the years. What they come up with isn't THE most original story, but it's very good, and it brings out the virtues of Superman without any (or too much/syrupy) hokum.

Th
Andrew Huey
Jun 21, 2014 Andrew Huey rated it really liked it
I bought this book, in single issue format, when it first came out. I remember being pretty annoyed that they didn't get the last chapter done in Superman Confidential #6, but pushed it back to #11, about six months late. Well, it's all been sitting in my reading pile since 2008, so I guess that doesn't matter now.

Like several stories that both Cooke and Sale have worked on, this takes place in a rather weird setting, where people dress like it's 1948, and printed newspapers are still important,
Paul
Nov 24, 2012 Paul rated it liked it
I'm beginning to like this Darwin Cooke fellow... and I've been a fan of Tim Sale's art style ever since the Thieves' World graphic novel era.
We see a side of Superman which hadn't been (or badly been explored before. Where his confidence in his abililities is not fully developped, although his powers do seem to be. Like the tittle suggests, this is a run in with the almighty K factor. In fact, it's set as being his first run in with Special K.
It's well told, the Smallville part of Superman is s
Sean
Feb 26, 2013 Sean rated it really liked it
I'm not ashamed to say I love Tim Sale. I could watch this guy illustrate a text book. I absolutely love his art and the way he takes readers back in time. Here, teamed with Darwyn Cooke who also has a talent for time travel, we get an reimagined tale of the first time Clark experiences Kryptonite. Overall the story was fantastic. I loved Luthor having a rival on his level and the scenes with the Kents in Smallville were great. Like I said, the art is the star of the book and almost perfect othe ...more
Shelley
May 18, 2016 Shelley rated it really liked it
Retelling of the 40s story where Superman runs into Kryponite for the first time. I love the vintage feel and look coupled with things like Jimmy on his cell phone. It adds something of a timelessness to the book. I love that this is set before Superman knows the extent of his abilities--he's not leaping buildings, he's never sure where the limits of his strength and healing are, or if the lava he is trying to save people from will kill him, too. This is a Superman doing his best and saving peop ...more
Albert
Feb 27, 2016 Albert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The plot here is super-basic: Superman is still in his early days and doesn't know what, if anything, can kill him. Meanwhile, a new force upsets the balance among Metropolis' elite.

In lesser hands, it would have seemed dull. But Darwyn Cooke and Tim Sale really sell the human aspect of the story. Sale's art, specifically, is the clincher here; he really brings out the emotion in each character.

There are a few plot choices that seem convoluted at best, and the ending is oddly anticlimactic. Bu
Michael
Dec 12, 2012 Michael rated it liked it
Well after reading this I see the title is more than appropriate for this book. This book is more than about kryptonite, its about superman discovering that he can be hurt and although he may be invulnerable he's not invincible. It's about knowing your limitations and cooping with it. It would have been better but a lot of random stuff was thrown in that feel completely out of place especially the last part with the random alien that really drag the story down and doesn't add anything new.
Bob Parks
Jun 23, 2012 Bob Parks rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic
Cooke and Sale make Metropolis come alive, not as the future city of now, but as the future city of the late 1950s. They build an amazing tale of Clark dealing with his who he is and with kryptonite. There are two great scenes -- one where Superman is chilling with a polar bear and another, when he is falling to his death. What I love about that scene is that it is clearly a combination of art -- Sale's drawing of Supes and Cooke providing the background of the city. It's perfect.
Victor Orozco
Dec 30, 2014 Victor Orozco rated it really liked it
Pretty neat story. I like how this has the feel of a 1940's, 1950's color scheme though things such as modern cars and cell-phones are allowed to permeate. Keeping in line with the golden age era of comics that Superman was idealized.

The story itself was very good. Superman is grounded and very certain of himself. Nice read. B+
Becky
Oct 25, 2015 Becky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic
I liked the story, but wasn't overly fond of the art. It was too stylized for my taste and Ma and Pa Kent were particularly awful. He somehow managed to make Superman look idiotic and more like something from the Cartoon Network than Superman ever should. Also didn't like the blood and gore. I guess I'm too much of a traditionalist for this artist.
Eric Mikols
Aug 04, 2013 Eric Mikols rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: superman
This was weird. The stuff that dealt with Superman in his early career, wondering what might kill him, was great. I loved the idea that as Superman was starting out, he wasn't too sure how invincible he was. The other stuff, with the sentient kryptonite, wasn't for me. But the art and the Lois and Clark stuff really made this a sell.
  • Superman/Batman, Vol. 7: The Search for Kryptonite
  • Superman/Batman, Vol. 6: Torment
  • Seven Soldiers of Victory, Volume 2
  • Superman: Secret Origin
  • Tales of the Batman: Tim Sale
  • Superman & Batman: Generations, An Imaginary Tale (Elseworlds)
  • The Shade
  • The Flash: Born to Run
  • The Life and Death of Captain Marvel
  • Batman: Private Casebook
  • Batman: Death Mask
Darwyn Cooke was an Eisner Award winning comic book writer, artist, cartoonist and animator, best known for his work on the comic books Catwoman, DC: The New Frontier and Will Eisner's The Spirit.

In 1985, Cooke published his first comic book work as a professional artist in a short story in New Talent Showcase #19, but economic pressure made him leave the career and he worked in Canada as a magazi
More about Darwyn Cooke...

Collana Superman (4 books)
  • Superman n. 1: L'uomo d'acciaio