Start by marking “A Restless Evil: A Mitchell and Markby Mystery” as Want to Read:
A Restless Evil: A Mitchell and Markby Mystery

A Restless Evil: A Mitchell and Markby Mystery (Mitchell and Markby #14)

The officer on duty at Bamford police station is skeptical when he takes a call from Guy Morgan. Morgan claims to have stumbled upon human bones in Stovey Woods in the heart of the Cotswalds, but surely animal bones are more likely? Morgan, though, is a doctor as well as a hiker, and he knows exactly what he's found.

It sends a shiver down Detective Alan Markby's spine when
Published December 4th 2002 by Minotaur Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about A Restless Evil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Restless Evil

May 10, 2012 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good for long commutes--I really enjoy the audio versions of the Mitchell/Markby series.
Maureen
Nov 16, 2016 Maureen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first book by this author ... I liked it. Characters work well. Seemed to be a bit of repeation of situations I.e. saying same thing several different ways but I just skipped over those areas.
Kaci.Karlova
Jan 11, 2017 Kaci.Karlova rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In my opinion this book was one of the best ones I have ever read from this author :) I was really suprised about the story. It is very exciting, readable and you do not really know who is the murder :) I recommend to read it! :)
Kirsty Darbyshire

Unsurprisingly I thought this was another enjoyable book from Ann Granger. This series is getting long but it's not getting boring or predictable. Though Granger does tend to stay with much the same kind of format for the stories they are all individual enough to make them interesting reads.

In this book Alan and Meredith are house hunting in the dead end village of Lower Stovey when Meredith comes across a dead body (I've got to the point with this series where I no longer worry about realism a

Damaskcat
May 12, 2016 Damaskcat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An unsolved case from twenty years ago comes back to haunt Superintendent Alan Markby when a hiker finds human bones in Stovey Wood. The unsolved case was a series of brutal rapes carried out by someone the press referred to as The Potato Man because he enveloped his victims in a potato sack to stop them escaping.

Markby, as a young inspector, felt there was something evil about the village of Lower Stovey and that the villagers knew more than they were willing to say. Now the discovery of the b
Shirley Schwartz
I usually love Mitchell and Markby stories, but this book is not Ms. Granger's best in this series. In this book Meredith and Alan are house hunting, and they end up in a pokey little village called Upper Stovey. Not much goes on in this backward little village, but while they are there someone discovers human bones in Stovey Woods. Markby has been in Upper Stovey before. Twenty-two years ago he was hunting a serial rapist who was nicknamed The Potato Man. They did not find the perpetrator then, ...more
Joanne
Gerry
Dec 14, 2011 Gerry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A 22-year-old brutal serial rape case was unresolved in the Cotswold village of Lower Stovey. Alan Markby investigated at the time and was disappointed not to end up with a conviction. But 22 years on he, now Detective Superintendent Alan Markby, and his girlfriend Meredith Mitchell were looking at property in the village when, coincidentally of course, a murder took place in the local church and in addition some human bones were found in Stovey Woods, the scene of the multiple rapes of years ag ...more
Susan
May 07, 2009 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-england
Alan Markby has always been disturbed by his failure, as a young detective, to find the rapist known as the Potato Man. Now bones have been discovered in the woods that were the Potato Man's haunt. Could they be a victim, or did the rapes stop with the Potato Man's death? Then a harmless newcomer to the village nearby is killed. Alan's fiancee, Meredith Mitchell, talks to the victim's friend, and gradually learns enough about the relationships in the village to endanger her. Topflight British co ...more
Carol Peace
A very enjoyable mystery, when bones are found in Stovey woods and old case resurfaces. Who do the bones belong to and are they connected to the rape cases 22years ago. The rapist went to ground after the fifth rape and the case was unsolved. The finding of the bones sets the police thinking they have to be the reason. They are then confronted with another body and it is a murder and in the church. Who is the murderer and why. The outcome is very good and in some ways unexpected. Good book.
Gary Van Cott
I thought the previous two books in this series were better than many that had preceded them. However, this one was back to the "just ok" mode. The next book is the final one in the series. I hope it will be better.
Carmen
May 03, 2008 Carmen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book was highly entertaining. The subplot is house hunting, and I have done my share of that, so I enjoyed it. They were able to solve a 30 year old rapist case and a death. Don't we all wish these old cases could be solved?
Annette Meier
Sep 14, 2015 Annette Meier rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit slow to start, but then really captured my attention! A hidden gem of a series, I'd nearly forgotten about.
Julie
Jul 29, 2011 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: british-mystery
yet another great entry in the series. sadly this is next to last. i have only one more mitchell and markby mystery to read. i hope granger will come back to this series.
Mary
Very good novel for the genre, cozy English police procedural in a series which has maintained its quality over the years.

JenniferB
Jun 25, 2016 JenniferB rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting book near the end of the M&M series (unfortunately). Good story
Renée Mee
Renée Mee rated it liked it
Oct 29, 2013
L. Langille
L. Langille rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2013
Sharon
Sharon rated it really liked it
May 04, 2016
Raypor
Raypor rated it really liked it
Nov 11, 2013
Carol Leininger
Carol Leininger rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2013
DuffyMcDuff
DuffyMcDuff rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2012
Linda Badcock
Linda Badcock rated it really liked it
Oct 28, 2014
Nikki
Nikki rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2012
Graham
Graham rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2014
Landree Rennpage
Landree Rennpage rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2015
Angel
Angel rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2014
Rowena Onions
Rowena Onions rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2016
Sharon
Sharon rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2008
Mina
Mina rated it really liked it
May 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Orkney Scroll (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #10)
  • Passing Strange (Inspector Sloan #9)
  • Naakte zielen
  • Yellow Iris: A Short Story (Hercule Poirot)
  • The Tarnished Chalice (Matthew Bartholomew, #12)
  • Murder in the Rue de Paradis (Aimee Leduc Investigations, #8)
  • Aunt Dimity Beats the Devil (An Aunt Dimity Mystery, #6)
  • The Marriage Hearse (Wesley Peterson, #10)
  • Gunpowder Plot (Daisy Dalrymple, #15)
  • Die Schwalbe, die Katze, die Rose und der Tod (Inspector Van Veeteren #9)
  • Cold in the Earth (DI Marjory Fleming #1)
  • The Harper's Quine (Gilbert Cunningham, #1)
  • Evan Can Wait (Constable Evans, #5)
  • The Lamp of the Wicked (Merrily Watkins, #5)
  • The Widow's Club (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #2)
  • Undercurrents
  • Der Fluch der Hebamme (Hebammen Saga, #4)
  • The Blue Noon
Ann Granger has worked in British embassies in various parts of the world. She met her husband, who was also working for the British Embassy, in Prague and together they received postings to places as far apart as Munich and Lusaka. They are now permanently based in Oxfordshire.

Her first novels were historical romances published under the nom de plume Ann Hulme.
More about Ann Granger...

Mitchell and Markby (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Say It with Poison (Mitchell and Markby, #1)
  • A Season for Murder (Mitchell and Markby Village, #2)
  • Cold in the Earth (Mitchell and Markby Village, #3)
  • Murder Among Us (Mitchell and Markby Village, #4)
  • Where Old Bones Lie (Mitchell and Markby Village, #5)
  • A Fine Place for Death (Mitchell and Markby Village, #6)
  • Flowers for His Funeral (Mitchell and Markby Village, #7)
  • Candle for a Corpse (Mitchell and Markby Village, #8)
  • A Touch of Mortality (Mitchell and Markby Village, #9)
  • A Word After Dying (Mitchell and Markby, #10)