Start by marking “Firelight (Firelight, #1)” as Want to Read:
Firelight (Firelight, #1)

Firelight (Firelight #1)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  48,171 ratings  ·  4,004 reviews
Jacinda adalah gadis yang unik. Dia tidak hanya draki—manusia keturunan naga—tetapi juga jenis draki penyembur api pertama sejak empat ratus tahun. Karena kelangkaannya, sang ketua kelompok hendak menikahkannya dengan sang putra mahkota, Cassian, supaya menghasilkan draki-draki penyembur api lainnya.

Ibu Jacinda yang merasa keberatan anaknya hendak “dibiakkan” membawa kabu
Paperback, Indonesia, 426 pages
Published May 1st 2011 by Penerbit Atria (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Firelight, please sign up.

Becky I read both books within a few weeks of each other! They are very similar in terms of concept, pacing, and the main characters from both series are in…moreI read both books within a few weeks of each other! They are very similar in terms of concept, pacing, and the main characters from both series are in love with a boy who is part of a group that hunts down their species. I often felt like I was reading the same book twice, though if I had to choose between which one I liked better, it would be Firelight. (less)

The Holy Terror
Incredibly disappointed. Those two words sum up my feelings for this book pretty succinctly. What could have been an awesome teen book with dragon shifters and the trials of wanting to fit in turned into a whine- and pine-fest the likes of which I’ve never seen before. (And no, I have not read Twilight.)

There aren’t any glaring spoilers in this review, at least nothing that couldn’t be gleaned from the dust jacket, but I do discuss most of the book here, so you’re forewarned!

Preemptive apology
Veronica Roth
Ever since I was young, I have had a strict dragon-avoiding policy, but I decided to temporarily suspend it for FIRELIGHT, and I'm glad I did. The book is about a girl named Jacinda who is a draki (sort of a human-dragon combo deal) who is forced to flee her home, and winds up falling for a boy whose family hunts Jacinda's kind. What I most appreciated about the book is Jacinda's character. She seemed to know exactly who she was, and wanted to stay that way. I especially enjoyed Jacinda's determ ...more

Shape-shifters are nothing new.
But shape-shifter-dragons?
How cool is that? OR NOT!

I loved the idea, but unfortunately, I struggled a lot with Firelight and story fell short.
There were such high expectations for this book, but it sucked .......BIG TIME!!!!

The tagline for this book is:

A hidden truth.
Mortal enemies.
Doomed love. <----- See, this part was what intrigued me the most!

But after a few chapters, this unique story about draki's turned into a "new girl in town meets hot distant boy a
Rachel E. Carter
DNF. While some may love this book I just couldn't take the instalove Romeo-Juliet-Twilight love fest. I was hoping for mortal enemies, not two characters instantly in love with warring families. In addition, this felt too contemporary and I wanted more fantasy (this was also my problem with Talon). Alas, once again a YA dragon book has disappointed me and I couldn't find it in myself to stick this one out. Bummer:(
Beware of spoilers!

I feel so... immoral to give this one two stars. However, it doesn't entirely deserve one star either. I was contemplating quite hard before giving this book two stars. Yeah...

First of all, Firelight? It's a good thing that doesn't sound like Twilight because that would have been really stupid...

Firelight was about... *tries to think up words* Ummm... uh... eeeh... ohh... Really. What was it about? *ding* Oh, yeah! Firelight was about a monotonous, pessimistic, idiotic, depres

** Warning: This Review Contains Spoilers **

So after finishing Firelight late last night I’m left with mixed feelings. I, being a HUGE fan of dragons ever since I was really young, was very excited to get my hands on this book. Because I mean...dragons. DRAGONS!!! Or excuse me, draki, since apparently in this book the word dragon is not politically correct.

(Just so you know beforehand, I did like Firelight, though based on my review you might not think so. I did, I swear, I’m just main
Sophie Jordan
Aug 10, 2010 Sophie Jordan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Of course, I love it!! :)
Jun 13, 2011 Lora rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of YA paranormal novels
First off, let's start with the things I liked about Firelight:

The writing. Fairly good. Although maybe a little too easy for my taste (I think the biggest word she used was confidante), it had a nice flow that made it easy to flip pages at rapid-fire speed. Also, I thought that the world she created was slightly more original than other paranormal worlds out there right now. I liked the whole "draki" idea, it made for a fresh plot that was more engrossing than most copycat (*cough*vampires*coug
An amazing and dramatic book. I was attached to Jacinda from page one, from the moment she first takes flight. With romance, danger, action, family, new friends, and ancient rules, this is definitely one to watch for this fall.
Katy Kennedy

LA PEOR INVERSIÓN QUE HICE EN MI VIDA. Y encima no me lo aceptan en ninguna casa de libros usados. Casi me largo a llorar cuando pedí que me lo cambiaran por uno de Shakespeare (no funcionó ODIO A LA VENDEDORA).

Cuando lo leí el año pasado a principio de año, dije: "Me gustó, qué se yo". Pero ahora siento que me volví mucho más crítica y cada vez que lo veo me da vergüenza tenerlo ahí en el estante. Dios. Me lo quiero sacar de encima y no sé cómo. Me había llamado la atención que fuera sobre dra

Warning: 99,9% of his review has nothing to do with this book.

I was going to review this, but I'm having the same problem as my good friend Jess: I honestly don't know what to say about this book. It could be because of the circumstances. I'll give you a few examples when you should not be reading a book.

Yes, there are certain places/cases/events where you shouldn't be reading, quit scowling at me, you silly person.

Some suggestions:

- While driving a car
- While doing open heart surgery on somebod
Neil (or bleed)

Obviously, Firelight did disappoint me. With dragons/draki and all that shit, I thought this will be different, really different, but no. It was a freaking love story dressed in dragons. The romance overthrew the plot. *shakes my head*

This is my first book, if my memory isn't failing me, about dragons. And this concept of dragons/draki is unique and new to me (since it was my first dragon book lol) but the story is so, so cliché. It is like the typical shows cater by our local television when
Colleen Houck
My favorite thing about this book is the draki world that Sophie created. I feel like she only scratched the surface there and that she has so much more to tell us. What an exciting new series to be able to read! I'm very much looking forward to the second book. Is it wrong to beg another author for an advanced copy because I'm not too proud to beg.
Alrighty, so I just finished this book. And I'm wavering between a 2.5 and a 3 star review.

Overall, you know, it wasn't bad. I've read much worse (Fallen series, anyone? Anyone?) The premise of the story is different, which I definitely liked-- I mean, a book about a girl who descends from dragons? That's cool.

I don't know, try as I did, there were just things about this book that left me frustrated. It's not that I didn't like it-- more that I think it had the potential to be a lot bett
Alex Bennett
Firelight by Sophie Jordan was one of the best books I have ever read. But I think I owe you more of an explanation than that. From page one, I knew that this book would take over my life. While reading, everything I did revolved around this book. When I ate, when (if) I did homework, if I even came out of my room.

Starting off with a bang, the whole story leaves you hungry for more. To the point of you never wanting to stop. I felt an instant need to read more about the amazing mythology, charac
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
Dec 04, 2010 Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* by: mi amiga Abby :)
La di daaa, catching up on reviews I've neglected to do for the past few weeks. I've been busy with college apps sooo haven't been in the mood to review much lately. It's sad. I love writing book reviews.

ANYWAY, sooo this book. My friend recommended it to me, so I read it. And I liked it, for the most part.

First of all, I liked the premise. Yes, there have been many paranormal romances lately, but at least this one wasn't about vampires and werewolves and faeries and whatnot. It's about a girl
Oct 15, 2010 Nic rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Shiver
Quiet surrounds us. So thick I can taste it. He sends me a sidelong glance, the gold of his hazel eyes sparking warmth in my chest, igniting a burn I thought was dying.

Wow, what a stunning book! Firelight was a beautiful tale of forbidden love, danger and mythical abilities. I had high hopes for this book and it didn’t disappoint.

You can tell Jordan is an experienced writer. The way it flowed, the way it captivated me from the first page, it was just magical. I have so many quotes that I love f
Whoever designed this cover was a genius. I loved that this girl actually had a head and a (mostly) visible face. I get worn out with all the headless covers in YA. Still, you have no idea what this book is about because you can't see the body, but one glimpse at this (mostly) human face--the bright red hair, the glitter and the shine and the subtle scales--and you know that somewhere in there, there's some sparkly fantasy. I saw this cover and drooled just a little bit. It was enough for me to ...more

The problem of such books is just that sometimes the write style or the characters or the combination of both, take all the tension. And the book turns out to be fucking awful.

The idea behind the book is actually intriguing and it makes you long for more, but the execution of this idea leaves a lot to be desired...It could have been much better.
It was not. This is the reason why I gave only 2 stars. Sorry... I wish I could give more.

The write style was sometimes just too long-winded and unrea
2.5 stars. If you can handle cliches flying from all directions, then you might be okay with this book.

Firelight, one hell of cliched book it is, to a point that I want to make a cliches check list:

(1) A heroine who is so very special, she's also the only one of her kind? Check.
(2) A heroine who is tired of everyone paying extra attention to her, and wants nothing to be ordinary? Check.
(3) Said heroine encounters a hunter boy who's supposed to hunt and kill her, but somehow he doesn't? Check.
Aug 27, 2010 Okapi rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Hush, Hush fans
As a fan of dragons, the premise sounded promising - a hiatus from vampires, werewolves and angels while still lingering in the paranormal zone. Curled up in my bed for a couple hours, I read this novel in one sitting, my attention constantly tethered to the rapt and engaging plot. But alas, my eyes uncovered a paltry, watery novel that washed through my mind and caused me to forget about it soon after.

I love the concept of draki, the descendants of dragons, morphing into human, and their custom
Itsy bitsy tiny spoilers ahead!

I don’t know what it is with this book but I’m having an extremely hard time reviewing it.

Maybe I can’t come up with anything to say about it because it’s just like every other paranormal YA novel out there right now? Granted, the whole draki idea is new but they’re basically described to be just like werewolves. Living in a pack with hierarchic structure which is lead by an alpha, displaying an extremely territorial behavior...yada yada yada...Ring a bell? Anyhow,
Feb 05, 2011 Anila rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
(Now with extra British swearing at the end!)

When I say that I just finished this book, I want you to understand- it's been about three minutes.
This does not mean that this book is OMGZ amazing. This is a measure of how righteously OUTRAGED I was at the ending of it.

I cannot even believe that anyone would think to write a book that goes doo, doo, doo, story story story EXCITEMEN- FULL STOP, sorry guys, better pre-order the sequel now.
Eff you, Sophie Jordan. That wasn't even at a lull in the act
Katieb (MundieMoms)
The back of the ARC describes Firelight perfectly, "Mythical powers and irresistible passion ignite" to make Firelight one book that I was so enraptured with, I read it in one sitting. I've always been intrigued with the mythology of dragons, but I haven't read a book that made me really fall in love with them until I read Firelight. Sophie's characters and her world building hooked from page one and left me wishing her sequel was already out.

Firelight introduces a whole new character in the par
Another YA Paranormal Romance filled with teen angst! Despite all that, I enjoyed this dragon story for the most part. A nice quick easy read! 3.5 stars
Josephine Angelini
I loved this book! I sat down on my bed with it and didn't get up until I finished! Sophie, you must give me the second one IMMEDIATELY!
May contain some spoilers

(3.5 Stars)

Jacinda is a Draki, who can shape-shift from human to Dragon. Uniquely gifted she is favored and adored amongst her Pride, but inside she's trapped and hates that she has to follow everyone's rules, not having the luxury of wanting anything for herself.
One morning, Jacinda breaks a rule and almost gets caught, almost revealing her people to hunters who seek there skin and bodies for there own gain and the Pride isn't happy about this.
Her mother fears for her
Jacob Proffitt
This book is full to the brim with stupid. Now, some of that I expected because it's clearly a YA angst novel. Jacinda is exactly the angsty teen Mary Sue you'd expect from the setup. All the hot, socially alpha boys love her but her life isn't that keen because all the girls hate her. Also, everybody is picking on her (except the hot boys she actually likes). Yadda yadda. Like I said, I knew that going in, so that wasn't the problem.

The problem is that everybody in the novel is stupid. Let me i
3,5 Sterne
Besser als erwartet und ich hätte auch mehr Sterne gegeben, aber ich finde, ab einem gewissen Punkt, wurde mir das ganze zu sehr hinausgezögert. Da hätte schön früher "jemand" kommen können und so 'ne. Die, die es gelesen habe, wissen ja, was ich meine xD
Addicted to YA: Firelight Quotes 2 170 Oct 21, 2015 07:10PM
Who liked it? 6 13 Oct 12, 2015 04:17AM
Will or Cassian? 77 300 Oct 01, 2015 10:17PM
across the pond b...: firelight 1 5 Jun 02, 2015 01:14AM
What do draki look like? 43 558 Mar 27, 2015 03:37PM
  • Tempest Rising (Tempest, #1)
  • Forgive My Fins (Fins, #1)
  • Shadow Hills (Shadow Hills, #1)
  • Paranormalcy (Paranormalcy, #1)
  • Other (Other, #1)
  • Claire de Lune (Claire de Lune, #1)
  • Nightshade (Nightshade, #1)
  • Raised by Wolves (Raised by Wolves, #1)
  • Angelfire (Angelfire, #1)
  • Dark Goddess (Devil's Kiss, #2)
  • Enchanted Ivy
  • Angel Star (Angel Star, #1)
  • Falling Under (Falling Under, #1)
  • Timeless (Timeless, #1)
  • Firespell (Dark Elite, #1)
  • The Lost Saint (The Dark Divine, #2)
  • Flying Blind (The Dragon Diaries, #1)
  • Shade (Shade, #1)
Sharie Kohler

Sophie Jordan took her adolescent daydreaming one step further and penned her first historical romance in the back of her high school Spanish class. This passion led her to pursue a degree in English and History.

A brief stint in law school taught her that case law was not nearly as interesting as literature - teaching English seemed the natural recourse. After several years
More about Sophie Jordan...

Firelight (3 books)
  • Vanish (Firelight, #2)
  • Hidden (Firelight, #3)

11 trivia questions
4 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“His hand glides down my arm, folds over my hand. His fingers lace with mine, palms kissing. I can feel the fast thud of his heart through this single touch.” 165 likes
“You cold?' He chafes my arms. I haven't been cold since I moved here. This is something else. 'No. But you can put your arms around me anyway.” 157 likes