Start by marking “In Camp and Battle with the Washington Artillery of New Orleans” as Want to Read:
In Camp and Battle with the Washington Artillery of New Orleans

In Camp and Battle with the Washington Artillery of New Orleans

4.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  5 Ratings  ·  3 Reviews
As adjutant of the Battalion Washing-ton Artillery of New Orleans, William Miller Owen was in an ideal position to observe his unit's inner workings. During his service, which spanned the entire war, he drafted and received orders; fought at Antietam, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, and Chickamauga; and endured the siege at Petersburg. Well acquainted with th ...more
Published June 1st 1999 by Lsu Press (first published December 19th 1964)

Be the first to ask a question about In Camp and Battle with the Washington Artillery of New Orleans

Sarah Gardner
Jul 18, 2015 Sarah Gardner rated it really liked it
Shelves: southern-history
Interesting as far as these things go. Useful commentary on camp life.
Harold
May 11, 2011 Harold rated it it was amazing
Great book on the War Between the States and only one who tells story from the common soldier view. The Washington Artillery in N.O. is a famous unit which still exists today. It fought in every war. My Great Grandfather, Paul T. Patin, joined the unit at 16 years old and served until Appamattox (end). He was only a private and I am sure the thousands of deaths and injuries he witnessed had a lasting effect on his life. Paul is listed in this book as a private in the Third Company.
David Vanness
Jan 04, 2011 David Vanness rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-have
This is a valuable addition for any 'Civil War' student. This is on my list of "to read again". My great-great grandfather gave his life in service wearing 'Blue'. But in reading this I felt as if it were my family's record of the honor and horror of our 'War from within'.
John Odonnell
John Odonnell rated it it was amazing
Aug 10, 2014
William Savage
William Savage rated it it was amazing
Mar 12, 2014