Start by marking “Clout: The Art and Science of Influential Web Content” as Want to Read:
Clout: The Art and Science of Influential Web Content

Clout: The Art and Science of Influential Web Content

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  133 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Results. Everyone wants them, whether to sell more products, spread good ideas, or win more funding. In our busy digital world, the way to results is influencing people on the web. But how?
An ad campaign won't cut it. A Twitter account doesn't guarantee it. Manipulative tricks will backfire. Instead, you need quality, compelling web content that attracts people and engag
Published December 3rd 2010 by New Riders Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Clout, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clout

Craig Oliver
As a web developer, I don’t get very close to the content. In fact, over the years, I’ve become blind to it when coding clients’ websites. It might as well be “lorum ipsum” gibberish like that found on Microsoft Word templates. Granted without this content there would be no websites for me to work on. Well…at least there shouldn't be. There are many sites out there that put the technical effort into the coding and treat the content as an afterthought. Content should in fact come first, before co ...more
Ryan
Clout provides a solid overview for creating influential web content. While it's probably too basic for the seasoned content strategist, Jones covers a wide range of topics from discovery and implementation through evaluation and adjustment. This serves the novice content strategist well, as it includes many real-world scenarios and potential pitfalls to watch out for.

While some of the information served as a good review for me, I did learn a number of new things. Jones shares tactics for evalua
Crys Williams
May 29, 2012 Crys Williams rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Crys by: laurie foley
If you have a business website that's more than just a billboard, this is a great read no matter how big your business is. There's a handy guide in the preface with which chapters to read based on your role (CEO, content writer, etc.)...makes it very easy to focus on what's most relevant to you.

IMO, Clout is an overview/introduction, as it coasts over a lot of topics and ideas...but that's not a bad thing! It would be a gnarly read if it fully expanded on each bit. Implementation will likely req
Anabelle Bernard Fournier
This book started well: an interesting combination of marketing, psychology and rhetoric. However, as soon we hit the later chapter, it becomes too practical and superficial.

I found the early chapters interesting: they take apart the idea of "influence" and explain how to turn this to your advantage. I especially enjoyed the analysis of the goals of your content vs. what kind of attitudes or actions you want to instill in your readers.

Outside of these early chapters though, I found that most of
Kevin Buckley
Maybe if I worked for a bigger "company" I could understand and leverage some of the ideas in this book. I did grab some nuggets that I will use and some tenets that I will carry forward.

It does also read like a recommendation of other people's work, which is fine, need to collect it somewhere -

I have jotted down a half dozen books mentioned by the author that may prove helpful.

The ending soapbox of particular segments that could benefit from this seemed misplaced for general readers. Wish she
Kirsten Gantenbein
There are so many blogs, articles, and books about content marketing and Web writing that instruct you to develop "compelling and persuasive content." This is the first book I've read that deconstructs this and unwraps how to make content persuasive. It provides practical background, guidelines and references. This will be one of my trusty go-to books for web writing and content strategy.
Dan

Disappointing. The premise is good: primers in rhetoric and psychology as applied to influential communications, followed by details of how to apply those lessons to the creation of influential web content. But the detail is lacking and, ironically, the writing lacks the clout of the book's title.

I made it to the end, but didn't feel it had been worth the effort.
Steph! Lee
A great book to lead through the important aspects to consider when managing and creating content for your website. I'd consider it a fantastic, must-read primer for those new to the field and a great guide for those familiar with the concepts of content strategy.
Mia
It was okay--but didn't add much to what I already know. It basically repackaged the basics of good writing: know your audience, write from their perspective, make it clear what's in it for them, use active voice, find good verbs, and keep it short.
Kevan
A textbook, written dryly and superficially. Might prove to be a helpful reference guide as my work in this field goes on, but very little in the way of engaging or insightful material.
Francis Bacon
Found the summary of principles (from rhetoric and psychology for example) and the practical checklists very useful. Not a long book, but clear, readable and well structured.
Michelle

Some good points, but not jam-packed. Not enough diversity in the business case studies. Lost a bit of steam towards the end.
Vincent Hofmann
A great introduction to web content. At times a little too simplistic to have much clout of its own.
Beth
Another good book to help Web content people think about their mission.
Hildeberto
Disappointing. Useless. I can donate my copy to the first who ask me.
Bryan Blanchot
Bryan Blanchot marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Marina
Marina marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Daniel N
Daniel N marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Taylor
Taylor marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Caitlin
Caitlin marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Jamie Bresner
Jamie Bresner marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
John Mcdonald
John Mcdonald marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Patricia Skinner
Patricia Skinner marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Nescalafrias
Nescalafrias marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
  • Letting Go of the Words: Writing Web Content that Works
  • Content Strategy for the Web
  • The Elements of Content Strategy
  • Managing Enterprise Content: A Unified Content Strategy
  • Content Everywhere: Strategy and Structure for Future-Ready Content
  • The Elements of User Experience: User-Centered Design for the Web
  • Information Architecture for the World Wide Web: Designing Large-Scale Web Sites
  • Content Strategy for Mobile
  • Web Form Design: Filling in the Blanks
  • Storytelling For User Experience: Crafting Stories For Better Design
  • The Yahoo! Style Guide: The Ultimate Sourcebook for Writing, Editing, and Creating Content for the Digital World
  • Card Sorting
  • Content Rules: How to Create Killer Blogs, Podcasts, Videos, eBooks, Webinars (and More) That Engage Customers and Ignite Your Business
  • Designing for Emotion
  • Simple and Usable Web, Mobile, and Interaction Design
  • Designing With Web Standards
  • Mental Models: Aligning Design Strategy with Human Behavior
Does Your Content Work? Why Evaluate Your Content — and What You Need to Start Does Your Content Work?: Why Evaluate Your Content and How to Start Does Your Content Work?: Why Evaluate Your Content and How to Start The Metro Early Reading Program (First Grade, Level A, Unit 6, Teacher's Edition)