Start by marking “Clout: The Art and Science of Influential Web Content” as Want to Read:
Clout: The Art and Science of Influential Web Content

Clout: The Art and Science of Influential Web Content

Results. Everyone wants them, whether to sell more products, spread good ideas, or win more funding. In our busy digital world, the way to results is influencing people on the web. But how?
An ad campaign won't cut it. A Twitter account doesn't guarantee it. Manipulative tricks will backfire. Instead, you need quality, compelling web content that attracts people and engag
Published December 3rd 2010 by New Riders Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Clout, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clout

Craig Oliver
Dec 14, 2010 Craig Oliver rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a web developer, I don’t get very close to the content. In fact, over the years, I’ve become blind to it when coding clients’ websites. It might as well be “lorum ipsum” gibberish like that found on Microsoft Word templates. Granted without this content there would be no websites for me to work on. Well…at least there shouldn't be. There are many sites out there that put the technical effort into the coding and treat the content as an afterthought. Content should in fact come first, before co ...more
Ryan
May 13, 2012 Ryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clout provides a solid overview for creating influential web content. While it's probably too basic for the seasoned content strategist, Jones covers a wide range of topics from discovery and implementation through evaluation and adjustment. This serves the novice content strategist well, as it includes many real-world scenarios and potential pitfalls to watch out for.

While some of the information served as a good review for me, I did learn a number of new things. Jones shares tactics for evalua
Anabelle Bernard Fournier
This book started well: an interesting combination of marketing, psychology and rhetoric. However, as soon we hit the later chapter, it becomes too practical and superficial.

I found the early chapters interesting: they take apart the idea of "influence" and explain how to turn this to your advantage. I especially enjoyed the analysis of the goals of your content vs. what kind of attitudes or actions you want to instill in your readers.

Outside of these early chapters though, I found that most of
Kevin Buckley
Maybe if I worked for a bigger "company" I could understand and leverage some of the ideas in this book. I did grab some nuggets that I will use and some tenets that I will carry forward.

It does also read like a recommendation of other people's work, which is fine, need to collect it somewhere -

I have jotted down a half dozen books mentioned by the author that may prove helpful.

The ending soapbox of particular segments that could benefit from this seemed misplaced for general readers. Wish she
Dan
Jul 01, 2012 Dan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: work, web, writing

Disappointing. The premise is good: primers in rhetoric and psychology as applied to influential communications, followed by details of how to apply those lessons to the creation of influential web content. But the detail is lacking and, ironically, the writing lacks the clout of the book's title.

I made it to the end, but didn't feel it had been worth the effort.
Kirsten
Apr 09, 2012 Kirsten rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are so many blogs, articles, and books about content marketing and Web writing that instruct you to develop "compelling and persuasive content." This is the first book I've read that deconstructs this and unwraps how to make content persuasive. It provides practical background, guidelines and references. This will be one of my trusty go-to books for web writing and content strategy.
Steph! Lee
Jun 22, 2011 Steph! Lee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great book to lead through the important aspects to consider when managing and creating content for your website. I'd consider it a fantastic, must-read primer for those new to the field and a great guide for those familiar with the concepts of content strategy.
Mia
Jun 29, 2012 Mia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was okay--but didn't add much to what I already know. It basically repackaged the basics of good writing: know your audience, write from their perspective, make it clear what's in it for them, use active voice, find good verbs, and keep it short.
Vincent Hofmann
Sep 13, 2011 Vincent Hofmann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great introduction to web content. At times a little too simplistic to have much clout of its own.
Deepti
Sep 24, 2016 Deepti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-improvement
This is a great starting point to understanding how to create good content for the web. It has a summary of each important aspect then suggests many resources to delve deeper.
Kevan
Dec 12, 2011 Kevan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A textbook, written dryly and superficially. Might prove to be a helpful reference guide as my work in this field goes on, but very little in the way of engaging or insightful material.
Michelle

Some good points, but not jam-packed. Not enough diversity in the business case studies. Lost a bit of steam towards the end.
Francis Bacon
Found the summary of principles (from rhetoric and psychology for example) and the practical checklists very useful. Not a long book, but clear, readable and well structured.
Chantal Bellemare
Chantal Bellemare rated it it was ok
Jul 15, 2016
Homes And  Hotel
Homes And Hotel rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2015
Tyler
Tyler rated it it was ok
Aug 19, 2016
Jennifer Osbon
Jennifer Osbon rated it liked it
Dec 07, 2011
Tormod Guldvog
Tormod Guldvog rated it liked it
Sep 08, 2012
Linda Fouquet
Linda Fouquet rated it really liked it
Oct 20, 2011
Inanc Gumus
Inanc Gumus rated it it was ok
Nov 08, 2014
Whitney
Whitney rated it liked it
May 06, 2013
Nate
Nate rated it it was ok
Feb 16, 2015
Scott Pierce
Scott Pierce rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2013
Mark Cianfrani
Mark Cianfrani rated it it was amazing
Apr 09, 2012
Adam Wright
Adam Wright rated it liked it
May 13, 2013
Julia
Julia rated it liked it
Jun 21, 2015
David
David rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2015
Nick Strate
Nick Strate rated it really liked it
Nov 12, 2015
Pravallika Menon
Pravallika Menon rated it it was amazing
Aug 04, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Content Strategy at Work: Real-world Stories to Strengthen Every Interactive Project
  • Letting Go of the Words: Writing Web Content that Works
  • Content Strategy for the Web
  • The Elements of Content Strategy
  • Managing Enterprise Content: A Unified Content Strategy
  • Content Everywhere: Strategy and Structure for Future-Ready Content
  • Content Strategy for Mobile
  • Card Sorting
  • The Yahoo! Style Guide: The Ultimate Sourcebook for Writing, Editing, and Creating Content for the Digital World
  • Building Findable Websites: Web Standards, Seo, and Beyond
  • Storytelling For User Experience: Crafting Stories For Better Design
  • Information Architecture for the World Wide Web: Designing Large-Scale Web Sites
  • Web Form Design: Filling in the Blanks
  • The Elements of User Experience: User-Centered Design for the Web
  • Search Analytics for Your Site: Conversations with Your Customers
  • Information Architecture: Blueprints for the Web
  • Content Rules: How to Create Killer Blogs, Podcasts, Videos, eBooks, Webinars (and More) That Engage Customers and Ignite Your Business