Start by marking “The Collected Poems” as Want to Read:
The Collected Poems

The Collected Poems

collected poems...
Hardcover
Published April 1st 1996 by Buccaneer Books (first published 1937)

To ask other readers questions about The Collected Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Collected Poems

Voldemort
Jan 25, 2015 Voldemort rated it liked it
IV. Wisdom

When I have ceased to break my wings Against the faultiness of things,
And learned that compromises wait
Behind each hardly opened gate,
When I can look Life in the eyes,
Grown calm and very coldly wise,
Life will have given me the Truth,
And taken in exchange -- my youth.

The Wind in the Hemlock

Steely stars and moon of brass,
How mockingly you watch me pass!
You know as well as I how soon
I shall be blind to stars and moon,
Deaf to the wind in the hemlock tree,
Dumb when the brown earth
Nikki
Aug 19, 2008 Nikki rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
I love Sara Teasdale's poetry in small doses. If you read too much of it at once, though, it gets to be decidedly too much on the same theme.

This is the poem that introduced me to her work. I knew it by heart from that very first reading, and secretly (or not secretly, now), rather feel this way myself, sometimes. It speaks to a part of me that wants to be totally overwhelmed by love, anyway.

I Am Not Yours

I am not yours, not lost in you,
Not lost, although I long to be
Lost as a candle lit at noon
Hassina Belghoul
Feb 11, 2012 Hassina Belghoul rated it really liked it
Alone

I am alone, in spite of love,
In spite of all I take and give—
In spite of all your tenderness,
Sometimes I am not glad to live.

I am alone, as though I stood
On the highest peak of the tired gray world,
About me only swirling snow,
Above me, endless space unfurled;

With earth hidden and heaven hidden,
And only my own spirit's pride
To keep me from the peace of those
Who are not lonely, having died.
...........

But when Death harries us,
Human and humbled
When one of us goes,
Let the other follow,
Let the flight be ended,
Let the fire blacken,
Let the book close.

Teasdale's third poetry collection, Rivers to the Sea, was published in 1915 and was a best seller, being reprinted several times. A year later, i
James
Aug 08, 2014 James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, american-lit
There Will Come Soft Rains

There will come soft rains and the smell of the ground,
And swallows circling with their shimmering sound;

And frogs in the pools singing at night,
And wild plum trees in tremulous white;

Robins will wear their feathery fire,
Whistling their whims on a low fence-wire;

And not one will know of the war, not one
Will care at last when it is done.

Not one would mind, neither bird nor tree,
If mankind perished utterly;

And Spring herself, when she woke at dawn
Would scarcely know that
Lois Duncan
Mar 11, 2010 Lois Duncan rated it it was amazing
My aunt gave me this book when I was a teenager. Every poem i wrote for years after that sounded like Sara Teasdale. She perfect for romantic teenage girls.
Amy Hawthorn
Jan 13, 2010 Amy Hawthorn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Amy by: Accidentially found it.
I found this author accidentially. I did a search on "Female Poets" and I just randomly picked the letter "T" and went down the list. I found her book and opened it. I fell in love instantly. I went to a local used bookstore called "Rust Belt Books" and asked if they had this book, they did not. Within a couple of days someone had brought in a copy. It was ment to be! I continue to reread the poems. Favorite section is "Flame and Shadows".
Ellen
Aug 01, 2008 Ellen rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Poetry lovers
I stumbled upon Sara Teasdale's poetry around 7th grade when I was in my own poetic phase. Her work really moved me, as in adolescence we try to find such things, and inspired me more to continue writing. While I've abandoned by aspiring writer status, I still find her poetry to be simple and beautiful. Teasdale committed suicide, so many of her poems are about her struggle with life and death and the numerous moments in life that both excited and depressed her.
Rachelle Rose
Dec 19, 2010 Rachelle Rose rated it it was amazing
These poems are the soundtrack of my life. I have loved them since I first received this book as a gift at 15. Teasdale's poetry is the kind to read aloud. You will find pieces of your own life and heartbreak in them.
Wendy
Aug 13, 2011 Wendy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, favorites
This has become one of my favorite volumes of poetry.
Sandy Burkett
Jan 14, 2011 Sandy Burkett rated it really liked it
I was given an incredible gift by a friend of a 1946 print of this book. It is timeless.
Melody
Oct 01, 2007 Melody rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I can't remember first reading Teasdale. I doubt I'll ever stop.
Starla Huchton
Mar 01, 2011 Starla Huchton rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
My most favorite poet ever. This book is a treasure! Favorite poem: I am not yours.
Jee Koh
Familiar only with her short lyrics, I did not know that Sara Teasdale attempted dramatic monologues in her early book Helen of Troy and Other Poems (1911). They are very readable though they are insufficiently dramatic. Marya Zaturenska, who wrote the insightful introduction, rightly describes Teasdale's work as poignant, but not tragic. Still, one comes across luminous passages like this one spoken by ill-fated Helen:

I will not give the grave my hands to hold,
My shining hair to light oblivion.
Helen
Mar 14, 2013 Helen rated it really liked it
Collection of Sara Teasdale's poetry from 1907 to 1933, including poems on war, childhood, nature, and love. Especially love.

But not the love poems you would necessarily expect. There is a lot about the love between a man and a woman, of course, but there's also the love of a woman for her city. And New York plays a leading role in so many of Teasdale's poems, the skyline being compared to the waves of the ocean, the landmarks of the city described in a way that you can still feel, smell, and h
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I fell in love with Teasdale's poetry as a teenager and wrote my bachelor's thesis on her. Some of these poems I know by heart; I've read them over and over again. She uses images, mostly of things in nature, to express emotions, and hers are either very happy or deep down in the dumps. My theory is that she may have been bipolar. The meaning of her poetry hits you as soon as you read it. I wish she'd lived longer and written more! Anyone who likes Teasdale may also enjoy the poetry of Christina ...more
Jenny (Reading Envy)
Nov 28, 2009 Jenny (Reading Envy) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read09, poetry
I was glad to have found the smaller bound volumes of Teasdale's poems, because several were excluded from this collection, and one was one of my favorites ("Spring" from Rivers to the Sea). There aren't any explanations for the exclusions other than that they were based on conversations she had with friends.

I tend to like her shorter, rhyming, sentimental poems than her longer, affected sonnets and tributes to mythological figures.
Angie Rhodes
Mar 10, 2016 Angie Rhodes rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
After hearing the poem; " There will come soft rains"
,There will come soft rains and the smell of the ground
And swallows circling with their shimmering sound:
And frogs in the pools singing at night,
And wild plum-trees in tremulous white,

This is just part of the poem, but it is beautiful.
so I bought the her poetry book, and they are all beautiful,
well worth buying and reading,,
Mar 15, 2008 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first came across Sara Teasdale in an anthology of poetry by women. I fell in love with her work immediately. The edition of her Collected Poems that I own has a lovely introduction/biographical sketch of her that really helped me put her poetry in the context of her life, making it all the more rich and meaningful. On the surface, her poems don't seem like much, but looking beyond that first impression one finds that her poems are as complex and unique as the poet herself.
Justine
Sep 12, 2013 Justine rated it it was amazing
I go back and forth reading this book. I have a limited edition, maroon hardbound copy of this collection and I treasure it - although I have not read all of the collection to its entirety. I've been a Sara Teasdale fan ever since I read her poem, "Barter". For an amazingly powerful poet, I'm surprised she is not more well known.
Estella
Mar 13, 2008 Estella rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, favorites
I discovered and fell in love with Sara Teasdale's poetry when I was in college. She had a true gift. She was very unhappy during her short life, and that very unhappiness imbued her poetry with a depth and pathos that has always reached out to me. I especially love the poetry she wrote about the ocean.
ZaRi
Sep 07, 2015 ZaRi added it
Shelves: poem, women

There is no magic any more,
We meet as other people do,
You work no miracle for me
Nor I for you.

You were the wind and I the sea -
There is no splendor any more,
I have grown listless as the pool
Beside the shore.

But though the pool is safe from storm
And from the tide has found surcease,
It grows more bitter than the sea,
For all its peace.
Stephanie Ricker
I’m working on the Collected Poems these days. I became a fan of Teasdale's many years ago after reading “The Look” in high school, and I’ve been rather enamored ever since. This collection is a little rough in spots–sometimes she can be a little on the trite, melodramatic side–but sometimes she’s perfectly brilliant. Careful, though: her poetry will make you want to fall in love.
A.
Oct 05, 2011 A. rated it it was amazing
I'm not close to half the book and yet I know it's a five star book and the best I read this year...and a dear company for years to come.

Done and it's not a book you wanna be done with

most of the poems are personal and evolve around one theme yet they're worth endless readings and many readers can find themselves in them
Richard
Feb 27, 2013 Richard rated it it was amazing
Something about Teasdale's poetry really speaks to my heart. I've read the collected works all at least once, and have gone back to many of the poems repeatedly. Many of her poems are quite lyrical, and I've even set some of them to music. (I don't do much of that.)
Rebecca
Oct 01, 2007 Rebecca rated it liked it
Teasdale's poems are bit sentimental for my tastes, but considering the time period they're astonishingly modern. Unfortunately, my favorite poem of hers, "Central Park", isn't in this book for some reason.
ZaRi
Now while my lips are living
Their words must stay unsaid,
And will my soul remember
To speak when I am dead?

Yet if my soul remembered
You would not heed it, dear,
For now you must not listen,
And then you could not hear.
Melissa Carpentier
Feb 26, 2014 Melissa Carpentier rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, poetry
Anything by Teasdale goes into the category of, I'll never be finished reading.
Bev
Mar 05, 2011 Bev rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, wpl-book
I read this long ago and far away and loved it. The goal now is to find a good copy of her poetry to own for myself. Four and a half stars.
Rani
May 08, 2008 Rani rated it it was amazing
the poems are so cool.........
  • The Ink Dark Moon: Love Poems by Ono no Komachi and Izumi Shikibu, Women of the Ancient Court of Japan
  • Selected Poems
  • Selected Poems: 1965-1975
  • Words Under the Words: Selected Poems
  • Miracle Fair: Selected Poems
  • Selected Poems: 1931-2004
  • The Works of John Donne (Poetry Library)
Sara Teasdale was an American lyrical poet. She was born Sara Trevor Teasdale in St. Louis, Missouri, and after her marriage in 1914 she went by the name Sara Teasdale Filsinger.

Teasdale's first poem was published in Reedy's Mirror, a local newspaper, in 1907. Her first collection of poems, Sonnets to Duse and Other Poems, was published that same year.

Teasdale's second collection of poems, Helen
More about Sara Teasdale...

“Stephen kissed me in the spring,
Robin in the fall,
But Colin only looked at me
And never kissed at all.

Stephen’s kiss was lost in jest,
Robin’s lost in play,
But the kiss in Colin’s eyes
Haunts me night and day.”
933 likes
“It is strange how often a heart must be broken
Before the years can make it wise.”
528 likes