The Collected Poems

The Collected Poems

4.38 of 5 stars 4.38  ·  rating details  ·  371 ratings  ·  34 reviews
collected poems...
Hardcover
Published April 1st 1996 by Buccaneer Books (first published 1937)

To ask other readers questions about The Collected Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Collected Poems

But when Death harries us,
Human and humbled
When one of us goes,
Let the other follow,
Let the flight be ended,
Let the fire blacken,
Let the book close.

Teasdale's third poetry collection, Rivers to the Sea, was published in 1915 and was a best seller, being reprinted several times. A year later, i...more
Nikki
I love Sara Teasdale's poetry in small doses. If you read too much of it at once, though, it gets to be decidedly too much on the same theme.

This is the poem that introduced me to her work. I knew it by heart from that very first reading, and secretly (or not secretly, now), rather feel this way myself, sometimes. It speaks to a part of me that wants to be totally overwhelmed by love, anyway.

I Am Not Yours

I am not yours, not lost in you,
Not lost, although I long to be
Lost as a candle lit at noon...more
S.
Oct 14, 2009 S. rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: poetry
Utterly enjoyable but not extraordinary. She's like a lovely light-footed female Coleridge.

I had favourites though, namely: The Wanderer, The Faery Forest, Blue Squills, Stars, Driftwood, August Moonrise, I Remembered, The Net and The New Moon.

It might just be me, but every so often she seems to fizzle out nearing the conclusion of her poems, as if she got distracted by her own meanderings.
The ones that do resolve are mostly very touching. I found some of the ones that didn't follow a rhyming s...more
Ellen
Aug 01, 2008 Ellen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Poetry lovers
I stumbled upon Sara Teasdale's poetry around 7th grade when I was in my own poetic phase. Her work really moved me, as in adolescence we try to find such things, and inspired me more to continue writing. While I've abandoned by aspiring writer status, I still find her poetry to be simple and beautiful. Teasdale committed suicide, so many of her poems are about her struggle with life and death and the numerous moments in life that both excited and depressed her.
Hassna
Alone

I am alone, in spite of love,
In spite of all I take and give—
In spite of all your tenderness,
Sometimes I am not glad to live.

I am alone, as though I stood
On the highest peak of the tired gray world,
About me only swirling snow,
Above me, endless space unfurled;

With earth hidden and heaven hidden,
And only my own spirit's pride
To keep me from the peace of those
Who are not lonely, having died.
...........
Beautiful
Rachelle Rose
These poems are the soundtrack of my life. I have loved them since I first received this book as a gift at 15. Teasdale's poetry is the kind to read aloud. You will find pieces of your own life and heartbreak in them.
Lois Duncan
My aunt gave me this book when I was a teenager. Every poem i wrote for years after that sounded like Sara Teasdale. She perfect for romantic teenage girls.
Sandy Burkett
I was given an incredible gift by a friend of a 1946 print of this book. It is timeless.
Starla Huchton
My most favorite poet ever. This book is a treasure! Favorite poem: I am not yours.
Melody
I can't remember first reading Teasdale. I doubt I'll ever stop.
Wendy
This has become one of my favorite volumes of poetry.
Helen
Collection of Sara Teasdale's poetry from 1907 to 1933, including poems on war, childhood, nature, and love. Especially love.

But not the love poems you would necessarily expect. There is a lot about the love between a man and a woman, of course, but there's also the love of a woman for her city. And New York plays a leading role in so many of Teasdale's poems, the skyline being compared to the waves of the ocean, the landmarks of the city described in a way that you can still feel, smell, and h...more
Jee Koh
Familiar only with her short lyrics, I did not know that Sara Teasdale attempted dramatic monologues in her early book Helen of Troy and Other Poems (1911). They are very readable though they are insufficiently dramatic. Marya Zaturenska, who wrote the insightful introduction, rightly describes Teasdale's work as poignant, but not tragic. Still, one comes across luminous passages like this one spoken by ill-fated Helen:

I will not give the grave my hands to hold,
My shining hair to light oblivion....more
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I fell in love with Teasdale's poetry as a teenager and wrote my bachelor's thesis on her. Some of these poems I know by heart; I've read them over and over again. She uses images, mostly of things in nature, to express emotions, and hers are either very happy or deep down in the dumps. My theory is that she may have been bipolar. The meaning of her poetry hits you as soon as you read it. I wish she'd lived longer and written more! Anyone who likes Teasdale may also enjoy the poetry of Christina...more
Kathryn
I love it when a poem can be made from anything!

Also, love the little leap of joy you get when a *perfect* word has been found and turns the poem on its head. You feel me? :P
I first came across Sara Teasdale in an anthology of poetry by women. I fell in love with her work immediately. The edition of her Collected Poems that I own has a lovely introduction/biographical sketch of her that really helped me put her poetry in the context of her life, making it all the more rich and meaningful. On the surface, her poems don't seem like much, but looking beyond that first impression one finds that her poems are as complex and unique as the poet herself.
Amy Hawthorn
Jan 13, 2010 Amy Hawthorn rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Amy by: Accidentially found it.
I found this author accidentially. I did a search on "Female Poets" and I just randomly picked the letter "T" and went down the list. I found her book and opened it. I fell in love instantly. I went to a local used bookstore called "Rust Belt Books" and asked if they had this book, they did not. Within a couple of days someone had brought in a copy. It was ment to be! I continue to reread the poems. Favorite section is "Flame and Shadows".
Jenny (Reading Envy)
I was glad to have found the smaller bound volumes of Teasdale's poems, because several were excluded from this collection, and one was one of my favorites ("Spring" from Rivers to the Sea). There aren't any explanations for the exclusions other than that they were based on conversations she had with friends.

I tend to like her shorter, rhyming, sentimental poems than her longer, affected sonnets and tributes to mythological figures.
Stephanie Ricker
I’m working on the Collected Poems these days. I became a fan of Teasdale's many years ago after reading “The Look” in high school, and I’ve been rather enamored ever since. This collection is a little rough in spots–sometimes she can be a little on the trite, melodramatic side–but sometimes she’s perfectly brilliant. Careful, though: her poetry will make you want to fall in love.
Justine
I go back and forth reading this book. I have a limited edition, maroon hardbound copy of this collection and I treasure it - although I have not read all of the collection to its entirety. I've been a Sara Teasdale fan ever since I read her poem, "Barter". For an amazingly powerful poet, I'm surprised she is not more well known.
A.
I'm not close to half the book and yet I know it's a five star book and the best I read this year...and a dear company for years to come.

Done and it's not a book you wanna be done with

most of the poems are personal and evolve around one theme yet they're worth endless readings and many readers can find themselves in them
Estella
I discovered and fell in love with Sara Teasdale's poetry when I was in college. She had a true gift. She was very unhappy during her short life, and that very unhappiness imbued her poetry with a depth and pathos that has always reached out to me. I especially love the poetry she wrote about the ocean.
Richard
Something about Teasdale's poetry really speaks to my heart. I've read the collected works all at least once, and have gone back to many of the poems repeatedly. Many of her poems are quite lyrical, and I've even set some of them to music. (I don't do much of that.)
Rebecca
Teasdale's poems are bit sentimental for my tastes, but considering the time period they're astonishingly modern. Unfortunately, my favorite poem of hers, "Central Park", isn't in this book for some reason.
Bev Hankins
I read this long ago and far away and loved it. The goal now is to find a good copy of her poetry to own for myself. Four and a half stars.
Sapphiresky
A wonderful collection of Sara Teasdale's poetry, a lesser known poet but one of my favorites.
Hanper Tim
her love poems are beautiful and because of it, i feel i have to be a more romantic :p
Dottie
One of my favorite poets from so far back I don't recall when that decision came about.
Junelle Dreyer
One of my favorite poets, I just love her! I first read her years ago...
Starry Eve
In my eyes, the best female poet-rhymer and equivalent to Emily Dickinson!
  • The Ink Dark Moon: Love Poems by Ono no Komachi and Izumi Shikibu, Women of the Ancient Court of Japan
  • The Complete Poems
  • Collected Poems
  • The First Four Books of Poems
  • Selected Poems
  • The Voice That is Great Within Us: American Poetry of the Twentieth Century
  • The Works of John Donne (Poetry Library)
  • Fernando Pessoa and Co.: Selected Poems
  • Without End: New and Selected Poems
  • The Lost Lunar Baedeker: Poems of Mina Loy
Sara Teasdale was an American lyrical poet. She was born Sara Trevor Teasdale in St. Louis, Missouri, and after her marriage in 1914 she went by the name Sara Teasdale Filsinger.

Teasdale's first poem was published in Reedy's Mirror, a local newspaper, in 1907. Her first collection of poems, Sonnets to Duse and Other Poems, was published that same year.

Teasdale's second collection of poems, Helen...more
More about Sara Teasdale...
Love Songs Rivers to the Sea Flame and Shadow Helen of Troy and Other Poems Dark of the Moon

“Stephen kissed me in the spring,
Robin in the fall,
But Colin only looked at me
And never kissed at all.

Stephen’s kiss was lost in jest,
Robin’s lost in play,
But the kiss in Colin’s eyes
Haunts me night and day.”
590 likes
“I saw above a sea of hills
A solitary planet shine,
And there was no one, near or far,
to keep the world from being mine.”
15 likes