Start by marking “The Woman Who Loved Reindeer” as Want to Read:
The Woman Who Loved Reindeer

The Woman Who Loved Reindeer

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  609 ratings  ·  41 reviews

From the author of the Darkangel Trilogy comes an epic romance, in the tradition of The Clan of the Cave Bear, about a young woman's love for a coldhearted shape-shifter.

Published October 1st 1985 by Atlantic Monthly Press (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about The Woman Who Loved Reindeer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Woman Who Loved Reindeer

Mariel
Jun 22, 2011 Mariel rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fur and gold
Recommended to Mariel by: horse & I
I gave The DarkAngel (of The DarkAngel Trilogy) by Meredith Ann Pierce three stars when I read it in early 2009. Absence made my heart grow fonder, or something, and I later upgraded it to a fox force five. I would tell my sister about it and that made it a different kind of reading experience. Something like loving something because it meant something to you when you're young. Images that stuck out in my mind, what represented wistfulness and longing.

It's something, I think, how reading a book
Lisa
Last night I randomly grabbed a book that had been my aunts. The woman who loved reindeer is what I ended up with. Based on the title I was assuming something far north and someone who ran around with reindeer. It was some of that but a bit more pseudohistorical. Like the books who try and give a reason for vague events in the past. This seemed to be ancient tribal people crossing a land bridge to a new continent. Interestingly it seemed like they crossed from unknown land to known land where pe ...more
Gwyn
Caribou is a young woman forced by her prophetic dreams to live on the fringes of her tribe. She falls in love with a man who is not a man at all, but a trangl--a daimon that can turn into a reindeer and a man. When he leaves to join the great reindeer herd she is heartbroken, but he returns in time to lead Caribou and her people to safety as their land is destroyed by fires and earthquakes.

The Plot

Do not expect twists, turns, or complexities of any kind from this story. The plot is very simple,
Cassie Rodgers
If there are any other books remotely similar to this, I want to read them because this book is so unique and wonderful, it has stayed with me, vividly, even though I haven't read it in fifteen years or so. It is a flawed book, certainly. The character are not terribly engaging, and the fact that a romantic relationship stems from a pretty much mother-son relationship is quite bizarre. But it's a fantasy and he's not really her child, and I get it. Details. For someone who loved fantasy as a kid ...more
Sommer Ann McCullough
Jun 13, 2007 Sommer Ann McCullough rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Looking for a new time of fantasy
A very fresh and twisted take on fantasy. I love this mix of history, folklore and new original ideas. This story is very different from any other I've read. It is about a girl who finds a baby, who actually turns in to a reindeer. Yes, odd, I know. But, it evolves to be a very well written and thought out book. Expect some weird changes, but over all it is a very impacting read.
CLM
Camille
This is a book about how a young girl named Caribou lived far away and alone from everyone else because her father passed away, and her only brother got married to a woman who was not from their tribe. She doesn't approve with Caribou living with them, so Caribou was left to live alone on her own. A few months later, her sister-in-law Branja is back. But with her, is a baby boy. She wants Caribou to raise the baby, for he is her son, and the father is not her brother, but the son of a trangle, o ...more
Natasha
Though I liked the writing style of the book, and the storyline itself, the book wasn't my favorite. There wasn't anything wrong with it, per se, but the relationships in the book were a little bit... creepy. (view spoiler) The idea is still really interesting, and I hope that there are more books like this one that can dabble in the supernat ...more
Amanda Werlein
Although an entertaining read, it was a bit thick to get through. Not by how many pages, but somehow the writing made you feel as though you were trying to waddle through syrup. The romance was a bit awkward since she was kinda like his mom for a while, and then it becomes romance, but she wasn't really his mom, so I let that one slide. The romance got cute towards the end anyway. This is one of those books that although I don't feel very inclined to reread, I still revist it in my mind on occas ...more
[Name Redacted]
Recommended to me by a school librarian one winter when I was aboy in upstate New York, this book moved me but I was never able to finish it. Years later, another school librarian in California recommended Pierce's "Darkangel" series which I loved. It wasn't until this year, while I was looking for Pierce books on eBay, that I realized the two were written by the same author!

This book was even more beautiful than I remembered and I'm glad I could finally finish it. I am collecting a list of boo
Ali M.
Meredith Ann Pierce is a wonder. I've yet to read something by her that doesn't leave me smitten with her beautiful language and imagination. This tale, set in the ancient tundra, brought to mind images of Alaska and the great northern realms (which I've always wanted to visit). The concept may seem a bit strange and even off-putting at first, but by the end the myth takes hold with an unexpected power. I think Caribou is one of Pierce's stronger heroines, one who is always forging the path ahea ...more
Casey
I enjoyed the read, though (view spoiler)

I truly enjoyed this read. I may buy the book. I'm not sure yet. The part I enjoyed the most was the writing style. I am drawn to this sort of style; it seems more mythical to me because of the careful and specific words. I have a hard tim
Christianna
Ahh It was so beautiful to read! I truly love it.
Emma Michaels
This book is weird but in an amazing and touchingly heartfelt way. It has stuck with me and I am writing this review because the more I remember the book, the more I want to reread it. I wasn't sure about it at first because you have to be very open minded to unique connections to let this books sweep you off your feet. If you are and you can learn to understand the characters it is just so amazing and beautiful. It has really been unforgettable for me.
Samantha
I found this book randomly in the water-damaged and decaying school library. It is one of those stories that always stayed in the back of my memory. Intriguing, adventurous and morals along with an enjoyable writing style. I had to search hard with the help of the internet and the bits of plot left to my memory, to figure out the title of the book again. Glad to know it was eventually republished and can be enjoyed more often now.
Sana
this was such a wholesome book. it was good in the way a healthy meal is good. i don't know, it was like a break from modern culture, and chick flicks, and whatnot, and it just felt so purifying.
it's about a wise woman who raises and falls in love with a man who is part reindeer. their country is besieged by earthquakes and hurricanes, so she has to lead her people to the land beyond the ice (or whatever it was called.)
This is the first Pierce book I've read, and I have to say she has a lovely voice. This reads somewhere between modern YA and traditional folktale and it is beautiful. I found the almost-but-not-quite Earth and cultures a little disorienting and distracting, but not enough to cause real harm to the story. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a short, immersive read.
Tessa Stockton
I just reread this for the third time. Meredith Ann Pierce is one of my favorite authors. Her stories (I've read them all) are engaging and her voice is eloquent. Great imagination and beautiful imagery. Pierce's “The Darkangel” is probably her most influential work for me. I've consumed that one since I was a young teenager and it never gets old.
Cassandra
This is a book I've been looking for for ages. I read it as a kid and got it from the library quite a few times, but forgot the exact title or author (I did read only the German translation).

This is one of the books I'd really like to have on my actual bookshelf at home eventually, it really is quite beautifully written.
Sandra Strange
This one's very weird, with a feeling of norse clan mythology, with shapechanger animal humans and a steady, faithful woman who protects and loves one of them. This is the kind of book that wins prizes, but that kids don't really like to read. I found it slow and too foreign feeling to identify with.
Mel
A nice fiction about a prophetic girl,Caribou, who takes in a baby only to find out later that he is really a trangl, magical creatures who can switch between reindeer and human forms. The bond between Caribou and her trangl is tested as Caribou becomes the tribe's wise woman and savior.
Chris
Kelly
A bunch of nonsense* wrapped up in a folk tale.

*What does a 13-year-old recluse know about people, to be able to sit in judgement like a wise queen? Also, love does TOO bind people. It does it all the time. That's how real love works.
Nichole
I read this years ago in middle school and still reflect on it from time to time. The imagery was so gorgeous. It was scandalous to read at the age I read it. It was a fascinating culture to follow.
Alexandria Mesa
Reread this after someone reminded me of it by saying the content quote looked strange and I love it more than ever. A great interpretation of more of a Nordic folktale I believe.
Megan D. Neal
My first book by this author. I have to say I didn't like it. The incestuous relationship between the main characters was a huge turn-off, and left a nasty taste in my mouth.
Corinne
The setting and mythological world of the Inuit is beautiful and the story reminds me of a sad and a little bit cruel fairy tale. I won't forget this book!
Caroline
A good, romantic fairy tale. I didn't love this quite as much as I did her Darkangel Trilogy, but it was a solid story about very believable characters.
Lyndsey
I read this book a while ago, but I can sum it up shortly. It's a strange book, mythical, but Meredith Ann Pierce writes unconventional books.
Elizabeth
It's a strange little story, to be sure, but it manages to grasp hold of you in the most unexpected ways. The writing is beautiful.
  • Reluctant God
  • Half-Human
  • In the Coils of the Snake (The Hollow Kingdom Trilogy, #3)
  • Gold Unicorn (Unicorn, #2)
  • Elske (Kingdom, #4)
  • Firebirds: An Anthology of Original Fantasy and Science Fiction
  • The Cat Who Wished to Be a Man
  • The Tower at Stony Wood
  • Wren's Quest (Wren, #2)
  • Birdwing
  • Sierra (Spirit of the West, #2)
  • Piper at the Gate
  • The Dollmage
  • The Light of the Oracle (Healer and Seer, #3)
  • Dragon Sword and Wind Child (Tales of the Magatama, #1)
  • Nightpool (Dragonbards #1)
  • Hex Witch of Seldom
  • The Cup of the World (Cup of the World, #1)
Meredith Ann Pierce is a fantasy writer and librarian. Her books deal in fantasy worlds with mythic settings and yet overturn standard expectations, frequently featuring young women who first wish only to love and be loved, yet who must face hazard and danger to save their way of life, their world, and so on, usually without being respected for their efforts until the end of the story.
More about Meredith Ann Pierce...
The Darkangel (Darkangel Trilogy, #1) A Gathering of Gargoyles (Darkangel Trilogy, #2) The Pearl of the Soul of the World (Darkangel Trilogy, #3) Birth of the Firebringer (Firebringer, #1) Treasure at the Heart of the Tanglewood