Start by marking “Post-Apocalyptic Culture: Modernism, Postmodernism, and the Twentieth-Century Novel” as Want to Read:

liked it 3.0  ·  Rating Details ·  10 Ratings  ·  4 Reviews

In Post-Apocalyptic Culture, Teresa Heffernan poses the question: what is at stake in a world that no longer believes in the power of the end? Although popular discourse increasingly understands apocalypse as synonymous with catastrophe, historically, in both its religious and secular usage, apocalypse was intricately linked to the emergence of a better world, to revelatio

Published December 4th 2008 by University of Toronto Press, Scholarly Publishing Division

To ask other readers questions about Post-Apocalyptic Culture, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Post-Apocalyptic Culture

Dave
Not sure why this was a monograph. It feels a little like Heffernan found a clever way to interplay "apocalypse" and "teleology" and made an argument that we've already heard 1000 times with different words. The chapters weren't particularly well integrated to make a larger argument, though I enjoyed some of the analysis. The only problem was, once I enjoyed the analysis, I had to work hard to find tenuous connections to "post-apocalyptic culture." Ah, the danger of buzzwords.
Heather Clitheroe
A bit post-apocalypse light, I'm afraid: Heffernan's choice of texts for analysis are not especially illuminating. I was looking for more on the actual narratives and literary texts of post-apocalyptic settings. I got 'Lady Chatterley's Lover' instead.

A bit heavy on the commas, too. Blech.
Laurie McKickass
Jul 21, 2015 Laurie McKickass rated it liked it
I've found Heffernan's text invaluable to my own research, though her structure and formal choices toward the end of the book keep me from rating the whole thing higher.
Samantha Eldredge
Jun 23, 2016 Samantha Eldredge rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Insightful and well written!
Rohan Harrison
Rohan Harrison rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2015
Kate
Kate rated it really liked it
Nov 13, 2016
Heather Bloor
Heather Bloor rated it liked it
Feb 01, 2017
Irene
Irene rated it liked it
Feb 07, 2014
Jeremy R Strong
Jeremy R Strong rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2016
izrtkfliers
izrtkfliers rated it did not like it
Feb 26, 2012
Trish
Trish marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2010
Artifice Magazine
Artifice Magazine marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2010
Erica
Erica marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2010
John
John marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2010
Matt
Matt added it
Feb 21, 2011
C.N. Wolf
C.N. Wolf marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2012
Christy
Christy marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2012
R.
R. marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2010
Clayborn
Clayborn marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2013
M. A.  Noeth
M. A. Noeth marked it as to-read
May 06, 2014
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
Janet Morris
Janet Morris marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Alysson Oliveira
Alysson Oliveira marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Nick Crawford
Nick Crawford marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Sahar
Sahar marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2017