Start by marking “Fruits Basket, Vol. 6” as Want to Read:
Fruits Basket, Vol. 6

Fruits Basket, Vol. 6 (Fruits Basket #6)

4.43  ·  Rating Details ·  13,296 Ratings  ·  225 Reviews
Delving into the recesses of Kyo's past, we find the Sohma trio returning home on a rainy day. There, a mysterious man who has known Kyo for a long time meets them. Trust, loyalty and the bonds of family and friendship are tested, as Tohru must help Kyo deal with the "monsters" that he's been trying to avoid.
Published December 14th 2004 by Tokyopop (first published August 18th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Fruits Basket, Vol. 6, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fruits Basket, Vol. 6

Sarah Churchill
Well that was... weird. Things took a really strange turn, way different from the rest of the story so far, and it was GREAT! Loved it. Then everything just kind of went back to normal. This is such a strange series!
Demo
WHAT? I ALREADY READ THIS? WELL FUCK I READ IT AGAIN.

FIGHT ME.

````

Toru is my favorite Mary Sue ever. She's perfect, loving, pretty, sees the good in everything, and everyone instantly loves her ---- she is indeed a Mary Sue. But I forgive her for it and accept it because she makes me so happeh.
Ferdy

Another fun read, it was good getting to know more about Kyo and his past. His relationship with his sensai/adopted dad was really sweet and cute as well. I really wish Kyo would wake up to his feelings about Tohru though, it was so obvious he had a huge crush on her.
Kat (Lost in Neverland)
Holy. Fricking. Fudgeballs.
Natsuki Takaya has a way of violently ripping your heart out and letting you almost bleed to death...and then kindly putting it back and helping you to your feet, like nothing ever happened.
Rain Misoa
Jun 12, 2011 Rain Misoa rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!!! WHO ELSE WILL I RECOMMEND IT TO!?
Recommended to Rain by: Nicole Terazue
Shelves: manga
Five stars... did you expect anything less? Especially in this volume? Man... this volume was very, very, VERY hard to get through. It was extremely sad... you wouldn't think it because of the cover but it's true! The cover is a bit misleading. (Don't get me wrong. I love Momiji! He's so adorable but with what happens within the volume... yeah... you'll be like, "How can something so horrible be inside something so cute!?") It's THAT depressing. Sure, it has a great ending... BUT THAT DOESN'T MA ...more
Victoria
Sep 04, 2016 Victoria rated it really liked it
I really liked the fact that this issue focused more on the relationship and backstory of Yuki and Kyo. It explains a lot as to why they behave the way they do and why they have some insecurities. As always, there were moments that were really funny and helped to lighten the mood.
Mary ♥
Feb 16, 2015 Mary ♥ rated it it was amazing
5/5 stars

And in this volume, we saw the HUGE revalation about a character... The anime had more heartbreaking scenes and I preferred it more than the manga in this case but how can you not love both? Also, Ayame's shop...This person is so weird xD
~W㊉NÐERGIRL~
~W㊉NÐERGIRL~ rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2013
Sophia F
Feb 15, 2014 Sophia F rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, humor
WARNING; SPOILERS, (Not itty-bitty ones, but BIG ones!)
As Kyou is in a horrible mood, (blamed on the rain), his beloved Shishou appeared to visit Kyou, (his master who trained him in the mountains etc.)
Shockingly, Shishou was talking to Kyou, (and was getting into a little bit of personal details), and Kyou transformed into an unbelievable beast, (with Tohru standing behind him.)
That whole scene kind of came out of nowhere, because although there were soft touches of hints every once in a while
Sabrina
Sep 13, 2008 Sabrina rated it it was amazing
I LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS SERIES!!!It's about a poor girl (Tohru) Gets taken in by the Sohma family. which the Sohma family has vengeful Chinese zodiac animal posses they Sohma family. ( they can be there selfs it's not like the spirits are controlling them) but every time they are touched by the opposite gender they turn into the zodiac animals. Shigure, turns into a dog (again they have control of their selves not the spirits) Kyo turn into a cat and something else but he keeps that a secret, and ...more
Kailey (BooksforMKs)
May 13, 2016 Kailey (BooksforMKs) rated it really liked it
This volume felt like it was out of order to me, since the storyline follows a different order in the anime. It seemed like there was a lot of action in the beginning, and then the action sort of fizzled out in the following chapters. It was also very serious and dark in the beginning, and lighthearted and silly at the end, which felt backwards.

I just adore Kyo! He has so much rage, and we finally find out some of his secrets in this volume. He starts to find out that in order to heal, sometimes
Andrea
Mar 09, 2013 Andrea rated it it was amazing
This volume had a lot going on!! First of all, Kyo's master came to town and he had a test for Kyo. One that involved Tohru! We also learn about his past and how his mother isolated him from everyone. After her death(suicide?), Kazuma adopted him and brought him to the dojo. There were so many feels in this one, OMG so many!!!!!!!! Like I'm 200% Kyo x Tohru. Sorry not sorry. The curse isn't quite mentioned in this one, but there is an addition to it for Kyo since he is the cat which is explained ...more
Emma
Sep 09, 2015 Emma rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
Yep! I have to say, this was my favorite out of all the volumes so far. I was a little hesitant about reading this volume after watching the anime. ( A little advise: NEVER judge a series based on the anime. There's always going to be stuff from the book left out and the stories don't generally go in the same order. Which is probably why it's better to read the books first if you want the real story.)
Needless to say, I was worried for nothing, I LOVED how the author executed the scenes between
earthy
Apr 06, 2009 earthy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, ya, manga
Kyou's surrogate father and martial arts instructor appears to reveal the secret behind Kyou's true form and the real curse of the Cat. And yes, I still cried while reading that scene. I'm a little sad the scene from the anime where Shigure tries to apologize to Tohru for putting her through all of this isn't duplicated in the manga, but hey, I think we might get that scene later, once Shigure's really screwed with people's lives....In the meantime, I love the strength of Tohru's acceptance of t ...more
Lanie
Feb 02, 2017 Lanie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People who love manga, romance, and urban fantasy
I almost cried! :'( so sad and beautiful. Damn you wonderful, perfect book.

The backstory and character development we see here for Kyo is absolutely brilliant. Seriously. No fucking wonder this poor boy is always so angry! :'(

& the last chapter or so with Yuki and his older brother? Also perfect.

This book is this weirdly perfect mix of absolutely heartbreaking, hilarity, and Sweetness. I'd absolutely recommend it to fans of manga, romance, and urban fantasy.

My only complaint is kagura. I
Cath
Jul 02, 2015 Cath rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5/5
Gahhh this one has all the feels in it. Kyo my darling *heart eyes*
Roser
OMG the cat is intense
Ariana
Nov 10, 2013 Ariana rated it it was amazing
Favorite thus far :')
Pato Myers
Aug 29, 2016 Pato Myers rated it liked it
A quick and enjoyable read.
Jessica-Robyn
Jun 24, 2011 Jessica-Robyn rated it really liked it
Oh Me Gah the cuteness! Just so much cuteness!
Kaitlin
May 14, 2017 Kaitlin rated it really liked it
This one is my favorite so far! Some scenes had me at near tears, and many moment made me laugh and smile. Sometimes I get a bit bored with this series' story, but unlike the previous volumes, there were no scenes in this one that I was bored with!
Charity
May 11, 2017 Charity rated it it was amazing
Momichi!! God I love this child!! His story will break your heart but to see such a sad little boy always smiling and happy makes me so happy!! Haru is great too!!
Nikki
Sep 19, 2015 Nikki rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Nikki by: Sam aka Kagome
Shelves: ongoing-series, 2015
This, this is the volume of the manga where people who came here from the anime, and people who watch the anime after reading the manga go "What the absolute fuck?" Let me tell you why: the anime was being written while the manga was also being done so there are similarities and differences. Takaya broke her drawing arm after she finished volume 6 of the manga so, there really wasn't any material to go on for the anime to continue. They changed A LOT stuff up for the last episode (which I still ...more
Annalisa
Jan 06, 2008 Annalisa rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: manga-nistas, romantics, people who love a good drama
Shelves: manga
When I first started reading manga and graphic novels, I looked down on what I thought were the more "fluffy" romantic stories of shojo (girls') manga. I remember looking at a cover of Fruits Basket and thinking "I bet that's really silly." Now I have to eat my words--and I'm glad for it too! I can now understand why this series is "The number one selling shojo in America."

Fruits Basket is quite a complex story with well-developed characters, whose relationships run the gamut from outright h

Laila Kula-Keys
it was sad
Nick
Feb 12, 2008 Nick rated it it was amazing
Overall Rating: A to the cute power
Synopsis: Fruits Basket is a shōjo manga series created by Natsuki Takaya that follows the life of Tohru Honda. When the series begins, Tohru is living in a tent in the woods after being recently orphaned when her mother died in a car accident. Somehow, Tohru is able to remain optimistic despite all the shit she has had to go through.

While wandering through the forest she's living in, she runs across the house of the Sohma family. As it happens, Tohru goes to
Carina
Does anyone else think it... odd, that given that Momiji is on the cover of this book he never actually appears in any of the stories (barr one picture advising he was annoying Hatsuharu)?

Anyway, in my 2014 review of this book (and go me for not reading this series for 2 years, considering I love re-reading books that's quite an accomplishment) I said how I liked the cameo by Hatori at the end, and finishing this book just now I had the same thought... clearly I have a very set opinion of this b
VampireAngelSadist
OH MY GOODNESS.
TOHRU, CAN YOU GET ANY AWESOMER?

I watched the anime before I read the series, and I have to say, the manga is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay
better.
The anime wasn't shit, but it merely was too short a
Rebecca
Feb 07, 2012 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
If you are a fan of the Fruits Basket anime series and have watched all the episodes, this volume is were the final episode ends. This volume was crazy good!

Technically this is at the very end of the volume but I want to get to all the Kyo stuff so: Ayame is still trying to build a relationship with Yuki. Yuki decides to go to Ayame’s shop and he takes Tohru with him. They are in for some big surprises. There's not a big Oprah moment when everyone all of a sudden gets each other, but you can see
Oct 20, 2010 Laura rated it it was amazing
This is the volume I've been waiting for and I didn't think it would show up so soon. I've watched the anime so I already knew what was going to happen, but I was excited to get to it anyway. I imagine this will jump start the relationship between Kyo and Tohru. At least, I hope it will.

I was impressed with how this was handled. I think it's so easy to make manga silly to the point that the serious parts don't shine through. This one is nearly the opposite. There's plenty of comic relief, but I
  • Hana-Kimi, Vol. 6 (Hana-Kimi, #6)
  • Ouran High School Host Club, Vol. 5 (Ouran High School Host Club, #5)
  • Alice 19th, Vol. 5 (Alice 19th, #5)
  • Tsubasa: RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE, Vol. 02
  • Kare Kano: His and Her Circumstances, Vol. 9
Natsuki Takaya (高屋 奈月 Takaya Natsuki, real name Naka Hatake) is the penname of a Japanese manga artist best-known for creating the series Fruits Basket. She was born on July 7, 1973; (Tanabata). Takaya is left-handed and once revealed that she wanted to be a mangaka since first grade, when her sister started drawing.

She was born in Shizuoka, Japan, but was raised in Tokyo, where she made her debu
More about Natsuki Takaya...

Fruits Basket (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • Fruits Basket, Vol. 1
  • Fruits Basket, Vol. 9
  • Fruits Basket, Vol. 10
  • Fruits Basket, Vol. 11

“Sometimes...I just want to run away from it all” 12 likes
“For every child who wants to be accepted wholly and loved unconditionally, there are others who simply want to be accepted for who they are, even if they receive only a fraction of love. I don't think one cancels out the other. I don't believe that there is any right or wrong... we simply coexist.” 8 likes