Start by marking “Stephen Biesty's Incredible Cross-Sections” as Want to Read:
Stephen Biesty's Incredible Cross-Sections

Stephen Biesty's Incredible Cross-Sections (Stephen Biesty's Cross-Sections)

These amazing, original cross-section drawings take readers right inside 18 of the world's most fascinating structures. There's something new to find with every look at the extraordinarily detailed illustrations, depicting the insides of a steam train, a coal mine, a castle, the Queen Mary, and more. Full color.
Published July 7th 1992 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Stephen Biesty's Incredible Cross-Sections, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stephen Biesty's Incredible Cross-Sections

Peter
Apr 18, 2008 Peter rated it really liked it
Stephen Biesty is a very special author, but not quite the equal of David Macaulay.

If you actually know who I'm talking about then you are some kind of schematical book nerd...
Tony
Aug 11, 2016 Tony rated it it was amazing
My Grade = 90% - A

This is my second Stephen Biesty Crpss Section. The first was Man-of-War Cross-Section, which was obviously about a British Man-of-War. In it, each set of facing pages was a full cross-section drawing of some aspect of, of course, the Man-of-War. I found it truly fascinating and was very interested in finding others like it.

In this book, each set of two facing pages is on a different building or vehicle, except two: the ocean liner (Queen Mary) and the 1930's Steam Train, which
Amar Pai
Apr 23, 2011 Amar Pai rated it it was amazing
The beautiful, lavishly illustrated cross-sections in this book are spellbinding. They reawakened my childlike sense of wonderment & fascination with things BIG. Ocean liners, jumbo jets, earthmovers, castles, cathedrals... the ocean liner is a four page fold out! It is a glorious thing to behold.

The section on off-shore oil rigs is quite eerie to read, in light of Deepwater Horizon. Everybody knows what a blowout preventer is now.

The section on Empire State Building is likewise somewhat mo
Maryse
Jun 03, 2007 Maryse rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredible is not a misnomer. Stephen Beisty's amazing illustrations give you a fascinating look on how things work. From the inside of the tank, to the busy workings in the Opera House; from an ocean liner, to an ancient Castle. No detail (such as going to the loo) is too intimate to be left out. Accompanying the iluustrations are fun facts about each place, which are easy to read and understand, making for a great and enjoyable learning book.
Jen Johnson
Jun 30, 2014 Jen Johnson rated it liked it
Originally published in 1992, and still relevant to the curious kid in you. A good range of cross-sectioned things, with tons of side notes and explanations. My only complaint is that the pages, big as they are, are really very packed. Maybe a little too packed, and the designer in me wants an updated, clean, layout, haha. The illustrations are very 'Where's Waldo' which was a fun bit of nostalgia but might not such a treat for your (ok, my) aging eyes.
Fantods
Jun 18, 2016 Fantods rated it really liked it
Not nearly as fascinating and re-readable as the Man O' War book, but then again, there's no gore, which is a plus or minus according to the reader taste. Much fainter memories of this book; I don't recall as many or as interesting of facts compared to Man O' War, but I'm suspicious my grade school aged self just liked the grossness of sea life hundreds of years ago.
David
Jun 18, 2011 David added it
An awesome book for kids, no matter how old you are. Aaron and I can spend hours together looking at the cross sections, especially of the ships. And yes, we do love looking for the obligatory "dude on the toilet" Biesty seems to hide in each picture.
Junessa
Apr 25, 2012 Junessa rated it really liked it
A fascinating look inside many things including a castle, cathedral, tank, subway, Empire State Building and the Space Shuttle. There is a lot of information on each page so smaller children may need help reading.
Don Gubler
Oct 23, 2012 Don Gubler rated it liked it
Shelves: mental-acuity
Fascinating and informative.
Luca
Oct 10, 2011 Luca rated it really liked it
I like it the way it is cool, I learned some stuff to.
Matthew Moss
Jul 05, 2014 Matthew Moss rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rediscovered my childhood finding this in the loft.
Allie
Feb 13, 2012 Allie rated it it was amazing
It was Christina's revisiting of childhood favorites that prompted me to revisit this totally amazing book. IT HOLDS UP.
Aragão
Nov 17, 2013 Aragão rated it it was amazing
Awesome Artwork, detailed drawings, interesting dive into details of life in castles, ships and cities
Amanda
Jul 31, 2014 Amanda rated it really liked it
I was completely obsessed with this book as a child, and had forgotten about it until just now. I think I'll have to get a new copy :)
Adam
Sep 23, 2013 Adam rated it really liked it
Nice without gimmicks or flaws! However, I thought that an improvement would be to make purposes clearer and more vivo and touch. I liked the brilliant style of this, it made me feel surprised!
Erika
Feb 21, 2012 Erika rated it really liked it
Quite good; a little too busy
Charles
Nov 14, 2012 Charles rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art, architecture
Great pictures for all.
Thomas Wolfenden
Thomas Wolfenden rated it it was amazing
Sep 26, 2014
Rlolachi
Rlolachi rated it it was amazing
Nov 10, 2016
Britomarte Van Horn
Britomarte Van Horn rated it it was amazing
Mar 01, 2012
Deborah
Deborah rated it it was amazing
Nov 12, 2013
Tamora Pierce
Tamora Pierce rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2012
Christina Gross
Christina Gross rated it really liked it
Dec 06, 2014
Super Fury
Super Fury rated it it was amazing
Dec 24, 2016
Teige Seiden
Teige Seiden rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2017
Ruth Owens
Ruth Owens rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2016
John Kent Kent
John Kent Kent rated it it was amazing
Oct 22, 2007
Jonetta D
Jonetta D rated it it was amazing
Mar 24, 2015
Rebekka
Rebekka rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2016
Sarah rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2014
  • Mill
  • Viking
  • Knight
  • Arms & Armor
  • Infrastructure: A Field Guide to the Industrial Landscape
  • Dinosaur (DK Eyewitness)
  • Pirate
  • Aztec, Inca, and Maya
  • Invention by Design: How Engineers Get from Thought to Thing
  • A Street Through Time
  • Ancient Egypt
  • Explorabook: A Kids' Science Museum in a Book
  • Mammal (Eyewitness Books)
  • Into the Unknown: How Great Explorers Found Their Way by Land, Sea, and Air
  • Alphonse Mucha: Masterworks
  • The Stars: A New Way to See Them
Stephen Biesty is the creator of Stephen Biesty’s Incredible Cross-Sections, which has sold more than a million copies worldwide since its publication in 1992. He lives in Somerset, England.
More about Stephen Biesty...

Stephen Biesty's Cross-Sections (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Stephen Biesty's Cross-Sections Castle
  • Stephen Biesty's Incredible Everything
  • Stephen Biesty's Incredible Explosions
  • Stephen Biesty's Castles
  • Stephen Biesty's Cross-Sections Man-Of-War
  • Incredible Body : Stephen Biesty's Cross-Sections
  • Stephen Biesty's Incredible Pop-Up Cross-Sections
  • Egypt: In Spectacular Cross-section
  • Stephen Biesty's Incredible Cross Sections Stowaway!
  • Stephen Biesty's Incredible Cross-Sections