Start by marking “Incredible Cross-Sections (Stephen Biesty's Cross-sections)” as Want to Read:
Incredible Cross-Sections (Stephen Biesty's Cross-sections)

Incredible Cross-Sections (Stephen Biesty's Cross-sections)

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  171 ratings  ·  14 reviews
These amazing, original cross-section drawings take readers right inside 18 of the world's most fascinating structures. There's something new to find with every look at the extraordinarily detailed illustrations, depicting the insides of a steam train, a coal mine, a castle, the Queen Mary, and more. Full color.
Published July 7th 1992 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Incredible Cross-Sections, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Incredible Cross-Sections

Peter
Stephen Biesty is a very special author, but not quite the equal of David Macaulay.

If you actually know who I'm talking about then you are some kind of schematical book nerd...
Jen Johnson
Originally published in 1992, and still relevant to the curious kid in you. A good range of cross-sectioned things, with tons of side notes and explanations. My only complaint is that the pages, big as they are, are really very packed. Maybe a little too packed, and the designer in me wants an updated, clean, layout, haha. The illustrations are very 'Where's Waldo' which was a fun bit of nostalgia but might not such a treat for your (ok, my) aging eyes.
Amar Pai
The beautiful, lavishly illustrated cross-sections in this book are spellbinding. They reawakened my childlike sense of wonderment & fascination with things BIG. Ocean liners, jumbo jets, earthmovers, castles, cathedrals... the ocean liner is a four page fold out! It is a glorious thing to behold.

The section on off-shore oil rigs is quite eerie to read, in light of Deepwater Horizon. Everybody knows what a blowout preventer is now.

The section on Empire State Building is likewise somewhat mo
Amanda
I was completely obsessed with this book as a child, and had forgotten about it until just now. I think I'll have to get a new copy :)
Matthew Moss
Rediscovered my childhood finding this in the loft.
Maryse
Incredible is not a misnomer. Stephen Beisty's amazing illustrations give you a fascinating look on how things work. From the inside of the tank, to the busy workings in the Opera House; from an ocean liner, to an ancient Castle. No detail (such as going to the loo) is too intimate to be left out. Accompanying the iluustrations are fun facts about each place, which are easy to read and understand, making for a great and enjoyable learning book.
David
Jun 18, 2011 David added it
An awesome book for kids, no matter how old you are. Aaron and I can spend hours together looking at the cross sections, especially of the ships. And yes, we do love looking for the obligatory "dude on the toilet" Biesty seems to hide in each picture.
Junessa
A fascinating look inside many things including a castle, cathedral, tank, subway, Empire State Building and the Space Shuttle. There is a lot of information on each page so smaller children may need help reading.
Adam
Nice without gimmicks or flaws! However, I thought that an improvement would be to make purposes clearer and more vivo and touch. I liked the brilliant style of this, it made me feel surprised!
Allie
It was Christina's revisiting of childhood favorites that prompted me to revisit this totally amazing book. IT HOLDS UP.
Aragão
Awesome Artwork, detailed drawings, interesting dive into details of life in castles, ships and cities
Erika
Quite good; a little too busy
Charles
Great pictures for all.
Don Gubler
Fascinating and informative.
David Zubkis
David Zubkis marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Mohamed
Mohamed marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Marc
Marc marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Tatiana
Tatiana marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Tim Rocheleau
Tim Rocheleau marked it as to-read
Tripfontaine
Tripfontaine marked it as to-read
Ines
Ines added it
Dan
Dan marked it as to-read
Nolan
Nolan added it
Jan 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Cathedral: The Story of Its Construction
  • Knight
  • Arms & Armor
  • Ancient Egypt
  • Dinosaur (DK Eyewitness)
  • Into the Unknown: How Great Explorers Found Their Way by Land, Sea, and Air
  • Alfons Mucha, 1860-1939: Master of Art Nouveau
  • Alphonse Mucha: Masterworks
  • Rocks & Minerals (Eyewitness Books)
  • Frank Lloyd Wright, 1867-1959: Building for Democracy
  • Silent Running
  • A Street Through Time
  • Infrastructure: A Field Guide to the Industrial Landscape
  • The Stars: A New Way to See Them
  • Aufruhr im Gemüsebeet (Pettersson und Findus)
  • Invention by Design: How Engineers Get from Thought to Thing
  • Buster Keaton Remembered
  • The Egyptians
Stephen Biesty is the creator of Stephen Biesty’s Incredible Cross-Sections, which has sold more than a million copies worldwide since its publication in 1992. He lives in Somerset, England.
More about Stephen Biesty...
Stephen Biesty's Cross-Sections Castle Stephen Biesty's Cross-Sections Man-Of-War Stephen Biesty's Incredible Everything Incredible Body : Stephen Biesty's Cross-Sections Coolest Cross-Sections Ever