Start by marking “Cold River” as Want to Read:
Cold River

Cold River

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  136 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Fourteen-year-old Lizzy Allison and her younger brother Timothy are stranded in the frozen Adirondacks during one of the worst snowstorms of the century. Battling the untamed perils of nature, they embark on a heart-stopping journey of courage, strength, and endurance against all odds.
Published July 1st 1976 by Signet (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Cold River, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cold River

Connie
Sixty-plus Lizzie Allison tells the story of the harrowing wilderness adventure she, at age 14, and her younger stepbrother Tim survived through three months of deadly winter.
Christine
Ich las "In den Waeldern am kalten Fluss" mehrmals und sah mir auch den Film an. Ich war sogar in der Naehe des Cold River in den Adirondacks im Norden des US-Bundeststaates New York. Auf der Cold River Ranch sagte man mir 1994, dass man die Stelle aus dem Buch nur auf dem Pferderuecken erreichen kann. Es hat sich also seit den 30er Jahren (wann das Buch handelt) nichts veraendert, die Wildnis ist zumindest dort immer noch unberuehrt.

Ein anderes Buch, das auch in der Wildnis handelt, mir aber n
Gale
Learning to Share her Father

Judson's 1974 story deals with survival on two levels: a brutal winter in the frozen woods and the hot battle between step-siblings. Of course two kids have a better chance of making it on their own during the winter than just one, but not all the predators have four legs. This readable book rivals Paulsen's man-about-the-woods with its forest lore. It is supposed to be impossible to starve in Nature's bounty--even in winter.

In 1921 fourteen-year-old Lizzie and her
Karryn
Who doesn't like a good adventure story?
In this one, young, resourceful Lizzie (age 14) manages to keep herself and her younger stepbrother alive in the Adirondack mountains after a tragic river rafting accident kills their father.

I've read this book twice, and both times wondered if I could move forward so quickly after tragedy. I wished for greater grief or greater emotion of some kind from the kids, and then see them pull out of it for the sake of survival. On the other hand, we know that o
Helene Forst
Great adventure story that takes place in the year 1921 in the Adirondack Wilderness.
Caitlyn
this book was amazing!it showed that when you put your mind to something you can actually do it! this book showes that when you take a wrong turnand dont go back but you tell people that your in another spot they dont know where you are... the tale of step-sister and brother come together to fight the wilderness in a cabin after losing their father from a horrible waterfall accident! This is my favoite adventure book ever!
Chance
Oct 15, 2012 Chance added it
It was a pretty cool book. Cold River is the story of an Adirondack guide who takes his young daughter and step-son on a long camping trip in the fall of 1932. When winter strikes unexpectedly early he suffers a fatal heart attack, leaving his two children to find their own way home without food, or protection from the elements. My favorite part in the book is when they have to find their way home.
Ausy
This was a book on a great Adirondack adventure. The main character Lizzy was a 14 old girl stranded with her brother in the worst winter ever recorded. Lizzy and her brother endured the blunt of the winter it stick forts and ate grouse and fish. Find out how she barely gets through the biggest blizzard and almost getting murdered in her sleep.
BookMadre
I read this when I was in junior high. I remember I liked it so much I read it twice. So I am giving it 5 stars- because at the time it was a great book to me. I don't want to re-read it again, for fear that it won't be as good as I remember it and I want to preserve my pleasant memory.
Pam
This is absolutely one of my favorite YA books as it is action packed, and is extremely difficult to put down. The book also does an excellent job describing the environment of the Adirondacks, which I love. Great for both boys and girls who love nature and the outdoors!
Dawn
I liked this book, I got it when I attempted to check out Cold Rock River at the library. I was intrigued so I brought it home to read. It's a quick read and I read that it has been made into a movie too. I would probably give it 3 1/2 stars.
Jamie
Interesting story, but I felt that some parts were rushed over too quickly, particularly the end. And the whole escaped convict plotline didn't fit very well...but the self-sufficient, kids-living-on-their-own parts were well done.
Christine
Not as good as "The Island Keeper" by Harry Mazer, but still a good story about two kids joining their father on a trip to the Adirondacks wilderness in the early thirties (depression).
The movie was well done.
Rob
Sep 05, 2007 Rob rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Joey
when we read this book in school i remember how awesome we thought it was. I bet the handfull of my friends that read this with me would agree that it was one of their favorite books they were ever required to read.
Michael
The teacher back in elementary school read this to the class. She moved too slowly for me, so I grabbed it from the library and finished it over the weekend. It's one of the few books I remember anything from.
Liane
My dad read this book to me when I was little and it's still one of my favorites. Fantastic story of survival! It never fails to pull me in every time I re-read it.
Cheryl
I learned that if you put your self in a hard place you can work to accomplish what is neccessary.
Lisa
well done. didnt like the moralizing though, it felt disconnected from the rest of the story.
Michelle
A "what would you do in the same circumstance" book. A good, quick read
Erin
i read it in class. how come teachers always know what to read?!
Audrey
Aug 30, 2012 Audrey added it
Love reading about the harshness of Winter during the summer!
Scrock
this is One of my favorite books so far
Jessica B.
This book is amazing.
Lorna
Lorna marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Staci
Staci added it
Mar 01, 2015
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015
Jane
Jane marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
Joslyn
Joslyn marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
  • Wolfsaga
  • Lost on a Mountain in Maine
  • Der mechanische Prinz
  • Woodswoman II
  • Bar Flaubert
  • Schloß Gripsholm
  • How To Draw Manga Volume 21: Bishoujo Pretty Gals (How to Draw Manga)
  • Das Buch von Eden
  • The Eleventh Plague
  • Asimov's Chronology of Science and Discovery
  • Dancehall
  • Shadowrun 38: Ragnarock (Shadowrun)
  • The Tree Lady: The True Story of How One Tree-Loving Woman Changed a City Forever
  • Basara, Vol. 11
  • Kalle Blomquist lebt gefährlich
  • A River Ran Wild: An Environmental History
  • Into the Labyrinth (The Sylvie Cycle, #2)
  • Floreana