Start by marking “The Devil and Bobby Hull: How Hockey's Original Million-Dollar Man Became the Game's Lost Legend” as Want to Read:

3.33  ·  Rating Details  ·  40 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
An award-winning writer sets the record straight on hockey's forgotten golden boy--Bobby HullIn his prime, few could dispute Bobby Hull's athletic brilliance--the first to have five 50-goal seasons, the highest scorer on the 1976 Canada Cup team, the first to use the slapshot as a scoring weapon, and the first hockey player to sign a million-dollar contract. With his body- ...more
Published September 27th 2011 by John Wiley & Sons (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Devil and Bobby Hull, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Devil and Bobby Hull

Marc Leroux
I don't get it. I finished the book wondering what the author was trying to achieve. Right up front he makes the comment that there are only people of a certain age that will remember Bobby Hull, so the audience is limited for a book about him. I understood that this was going to be a critical analysis of Hull, and that it was going to deal with some of his off-ice issues. In my estimation, he goes too far with the negatives. I agree that there is no excuse for abusing your spouse, but as he poi ...more
Kim
Dec 27, 2014 Kim rated it liked it
Ordinary sports writing at best. However, it reminded me of professional hockey watershed events that I hadn't considered in years, like the exclusion of Hull from the 1972 Summit Series and the impact he had on salaries. However, not enough attention (e.g., not any) paid to the classic January 3, 1971 game at the Aud when the Black Hawks defeated the Sabres 5-3. It was the Golden Jet's birthday and he scored two goals. Four guys from Lake City, PA delivered a birthday cake to Bobby between peri ...more
Rebecca Dobrinski
Jul 12, 2012 Rebecca Dobrinski rated it liked it
Shelves: hockey
The Golden Jet. The First Million Dollar Pro Athlete. Legendary Chicago Black Hawk. Hockey fans on both sides of the border will sing the praises of Bobby Hull’s impact on how the game is played and the way he played it. From his Stanley Cup winning team with the Black Hawks to the Jets’ Hot Line of Hedberg-Hull-Nillson, the lore surrounding Bobby Hull will live on in the minds of fans as well as the Hockey Hall of Fame.

The Devil and Bobby Hull contains some of the more infamous details of the H
Paul
Jul 03, 2012 Paul rated it liked it
More character study than biography, which is a welcome change from the usual sports fare. The prose is occasionally a tad pretentious (when it's trying to be portentous, I guess). The author stops a tad too often to underline Bobby Hull's skill level, I suppose because his thesis is that Hull should be mentioned in the same breath as Howe, Richard, Orr, and Gretzky. Funny, I thought he already was. But the book contends Hull is a forgotten superstar, and if that's true, this solid portrait may ...more
William
May 01, 2016 William rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2014
A book about Hull's impact on the game and on professional sports and also about the impact he could have had if more people had been paying attention. Not a biography but certainly an exploration of his personal life Frankly, it's not very well written but definitely of interest to any fan of the game. The book sheds a lot of light on arguably the most important decade in the development of hockey as we know it today.
karen
Jul 13, 2013 karen rated it liked it
A good book to really explain where hockey was as a sport when Bobby and Stan played.
Bobby hull may have had character faults but he is responsible for the advancement of where hockey is today and the salaries.
Also was good in depth of how Wirtz used Bobby for his own means. He was a jerk Thank God for Rocky Wirtz in bringing back Bobby and the others to help make the Hawks better as a family today.
John
Dec 10, 2011 John rated it it was ok
the author made two mistakes: He said Gretzky hoisted 5 cups while it was only 4. He also said that Belleville in 1959 was the last canadian amateur team to win the world championships but it was the Trail SmokeEaters in 1961. other than that, I didn't like the author's writing style.
Sydney Stype
May 18, 2015 Sydney Stype rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hockey-owned
A great look into what Bobby Hull went through as he made the jump to the WHA and showing who he truly was in the tough situation that he was put in (and that he put himself in). No wonder the NHL doesn't like to recognize him (although Chicago is fine with it).
Elizabeth
May 25, 2012 Elizabeth rated it liked it
Not a bad book, by any means, but it's all stories we've heard before. I had hoped they would delve deeper into Hull's life. For what, exactly, I don't know. But I finished this book feeling vaguely disappointed.
Philip
Jan 04, 2012 Philip rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, canadian
a must read for hockey fans.
Melanie Johnson
Melanie Johnson rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2016
Norman
Norman added it
May 24, 2016
Craig Mackay
Craig Mackay marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2016
Gunnar Olson
Gunnar Olson rated it it was ok
Jan 24, 2016
Scott Goglin
Scott Goglin rated it liked it
Dec 03, 2015
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2015
Costa
Costa rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2015
Brendan Jure
Brendan Jure rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2015
Ben Renz
Ben Renz marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2015
Maggie
Maggie marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2015
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Elisabeth Manley
Elisabeth Manley marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
Christa
Christa marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Eileen Donoghue
Eileen Donoghue rated it did not like it
Feb 15, 2015